PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Questions

Ghost
03-16-2009, 09:05
I am new to this forum and to hiking. I grew up in scouts and did plenty of camping but making the adjustment to caring everything on my back is a challenge. How do you keep your sleeping bag dry? Do most carry it inside the pack or outside in a dry bag? In the southeast where rain is likely, is it worth the extra weight to carry a bag with synthetic fill vs down or is it fairly easy to keep your sleeping bag dry?

double d
03-16-2009, 09:50
Hello Ghost, normally you want to carry your sleeping bag on the inside of your pack, this protects the bag from having direct contact with the outside environment you will be hiking over (rain, rocks, dirt,etc.). Down is the way to go, its compresses, its more lightweight and it is warmer then non-down made bags. I think if your backpack is of a newer model then you should have protection from your environment if you place the bag on the inside of your pack. Also, I use Campmor's 20 degree long down bag, its inexpensive and works fine.

UnkaJesse
03-16-2009, 10:29
I keep my down bag in a garbage bag mainly because I'm a heavy sweater and can soak my pack in the summer time. I upgraded from synthetic a while back and have never looked back.

bigcranky
03-16-2009, 12:50
Depends on the pack. On an external frame pack, the bag often is hung below the pack bag on the outside. In that case it needs to be well protected. With an internal-frame pack, the sleeping bag goes inside, usually near the bottom (since you won't need it during the day.)

I keep my sleeping bag in a roll top stuff sack with sealed seams. I line my pack with a garbage bag, and use a pack cover. Overkill, probably, but it keeps my bag dry.

Down is fine for the Southeast. Just keep it from getting soaked through. that's all.

Rcarver
03-16-2009, 13:31
I use Sea to Summit event roll top dry bags for my sleeping bag and one for my clothes. Have never had a problem with the contents getting wet.

Peaks
03-16-2009, 16:29
Mine goes inside a waterproof (sil-nylon) stuff sack which is inside my pack. And the pack is covered by a rain cover when necessary.

BlackRock
03-16-2009, 17:58
I usually keep my bag in my pack and also in a sil-nylon stuff sack like peaks does. That keeps the bag dry while moving around all day, but it's usually the dew or frost that give me troubles in keeping things totally dry. I'll usually try to air dry my bag in the mornings before packing up so any moisture on the shell has time to dry before stuffing it back up.

As for down vs. synthetic... I'd go with down. Both actually start losing their insulation in the wet. Many people think synthetic stays warm when wet, but that's not really true. Synthetics usually hold their loft a bit better, but they too compress and lose their warmth. Down is still about 3x warmer per ounce and will give you a lighter warmer bag all in one.

snowhoe
03-16-2009, 18:06
I second what peaks is saying. If you are really worried about it put it in a trash bag inside your pack with a rain cover on your pack. I dont think you need to do all that unless you need to use a trash bag for something.

think0075
03-16-2009, 18:26
for conditions on the appalachian trail i would defintely suggest a down bag. Synthetic bags aren't necessary because the elements you will be exposed to won't be that extreme. Synthetic are nice when you will be exposed to constant and varying forms of percipitation with no shelter. The down bag will be lighter and warmer for you. That being said take your time purchasing a down bag you can often find them on sale for good bargains, also you need to make sure you keep your bag clean. if your planning a thru-hike you need to take in account the different temperatures you will experience. i would suggest maybe a 35 degree down bag and then a silk liner, there expensive 50 bucks but worth it. not only will it keep you warm when the temp. drops but it will help keep your down bag clean and in the summer when its hot you can ship your bag ahead and just use the liner.

garlic08
03-16-2009, 19:11
Another vote for down, and a second on that Campmor 20 bag unless you're loaded, then get the best one you can find. A down bag is a long-term investment.

I carry mine stuffed loose into my pack, and if I expect rain I'll line the pack with a heavy duty trash compactor bag.

Rendezvous01
03-16-2009, 19:37
Welcome, Ghost. Here's another vote for down. As was mentioned above, do you best to keep your bag clean. Use a liner or wear your own 'liner'. I did three months on the Trail, sweat profusely (particularly my feet), but never ever washed my down bag. Not even after I came home. What I did was wear lightest weight long johns, a tshirt, and especially liner socks every night. Yes, even in July. It took awhile to get used to, as I normally sleep with about four fewer articles of clothing at night, BUT, it kept my bag clean on the inside.

For the outside of the bag, sweep the shelter floor before you spread your sleeping pad and bag (and again the next morning when you are ready to leave, please) if there is a broom available. Track as little dirt as possible into the shelter or into your tent. Protect your bag as your most important investment (and it can be at the ends of your hike!).

If you have to pack your bag slightly damp, air it dry the first chance you get. And air out your bag frequently, too, wet or dry.

When you get home a the end of your hike, store your bag hanging up in the closet, or at least in a large, breathable cotton bag, NOT in the stuff sack.

Don't allow your spouse's new puppy to chew on the zipper (I'm still a little disgruntled about that!), and a quality sleeping bag will last you thousands of trail miles, so it is worth buying a quality bag now if you can afford it.

Ron