PDA

View Full Version : Washing a down bag

UnkaJesse
03-16-2009, 10:36
My & the missus just upgraded to a new fancy schmancy front loading washing machine. I'm thinking that I'm done washing my down bag in the bathub. Does anyone know if Nikwax Down Wash will work in a front load washer? (That's what I''ve been using in the tub.) Or would the regular HE detergent -- Tide or whatever -- work best?

snowhoe
03-16-2009, 10:50
I have a front load washer and when I wash my bag I dont put ant detergent or any thing in with it. I do put the controls on "sanatury cycle". Dont know if yours has that but if so use it man..

4eyedbuzzard
03-16-2009, 11:39
Nikwash will work but it may cause a "suds" alarm as it is not a "low suds" detergent. Use about half of what they call for and be prepared for a long wash cycle--most front loaders will pause the cycle until the suds die down. Rinse it several times on rinse only cycle and then spin it on low to start, then reposition the bag as equally as possible, then use a spin only cycle and raise spin speed gradually to try to get as much water out before going to the dryer with it. Handle the bag carefully to avoid tearing any of the internal baffles. Dry it on low with a few tennis balls thrown in. If it starts getting hot, put it on "air" for a while, and alternate between heat and air only. It'll take a while to dry.

Feral Bill
03-16-2009, 12:57
I used the system Buzzard describes recently. Works like a charm.

BlackRock
03-16-2009, 18:02
I use Nikwax and/or ReviveX in my front loading washer. I don't cut the amount in half though. I have no suds issues though with either.

Never use regular detergents, they will damage the down, causing your new bags to look kinda sad. :(

Same on the dryer. Low to no heat with tennis balls. I go one step further and pull mine out a few times and break up clumps and try spreading things out till it's super fluffy and dry.

Alli
03-18-2009, 11:13
I thought you weren't supposed to use tennis balls because it lowers the lifespan of your bag?

skinewmexico
03-18-2009, 11:49
I thought you weren't supposed to use tennis balls because it lowers the lifespan of your bag?

Never heard that. Several manufacturers recommend them. Tennis balls, or tennis shoes.