PDA

View Full Version : Are these blunt facts from NC lodge owner true?

RockDoc
03-16-2009, 12:52
I inquired about stopping at a NC hiker's lodge during my coming section hike of GA/NC and a lodge owner gave me the following info:

"The average to Fontana is 19-21 days". That is 8 miles/day.

"We normally get 2 ten inch snows in April, carry winter gear"

"2/3 of each years starters are gone by Fontana never to enter the park. A huge number had unrealistic schedules or self inflicted injuries caused by too many miles."
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this section truly a royal bitch? Or do his comments reflect frustration with large numbers of incompetent beginners?

We had no trouble averaging 12-15 mi or more through the Maine AT, Iceland, and Nepal, and expected to do as much in GA/NC, but based on the above "facts", I'm wondering if we are realistic. We are in great shape and have lightweight gear.

buff_jeff
03-16-2009, 13:06
You'll be fine. I've noticed that everyone says whatever section they started on is the hardest. For NOBO's, this is Springer to Fontana. It is NOT a hard section.

I started in PA and always looked back on how tremendously difficult it was before I went ahead and did some sections on it...and realized how easy it is.

Slo-go'en
03-16-2009, 13:11
It took me 21 days to go from Springer to Fontana dam last year, which included 2 or 3 zero days. Most of the April fools pod I started with was within a couple of days of this also.

I narrowly missed a good snow storm in the Smokies, which was late April. April snow storms are not uncommon, but it does varry year to year. There were some pretty cold nights though. Warm sleeping bag and warm clothes are a must.

2/3ds of each years starts dropping out by Fontana is a bit of an exaderation, it's probably closer to a 1/3d. Still, thats a lot and there are many reasons for that.

Big Dawg
03-16-2009, 13:16
You should have no problem covering 12-15 miles/day based on your experience, IMO. Not sure about the average mi/day to Fontana, but would imagine it includes a lot of newbies that bring the average down. And yes, a lot of nobo thru's don't make it to Fontana b/c they didn't know what they were getting into,,, some never hiked before, ever. Snowfall? Not exactly sure, but sounds reasonable. NC weather in spring can vary widely. I did a NC section a few years ago in April,,, 1st day was 85 degrees, 5th day I was in 8" snow.

fiddlehead
03-16-2009, 13:18
We had no trouble averaging 12-15 mi or more through the Maine AT, Iceland, and Nepal, and expected to do as much in GA/NC, but based on the above "facts", I'm wondering if we are realistic. We are in great shape and have lightweight gear.

You'll be fine. Most hikers starting at Springer don't have any experience.
The stats are from them.
Have fun.

curtisvowen
03-16-2009, 13:48
Is this section truly a royal bitch? Or do his comments reflect frustration with large numbers of incompetent beginners?

No frustration, its a generic statement from what he's experienced over the years...given to all. He's just trying to paint you a picture of what "could/has happened" over the years, another words he should have said "it could be like this" and you got "it will be like this".
Heck yea it could snow 40'' in March/April....ya never know.
It could and has taken a hiker that long to get to Fontana.

bigcranky
03-16-2009, 14:08
You should be fine. Hostel and lodge owners deal with a lot of new long distance hikers, and they've learned to take this into account when giving out information.

For a new hiker, this section *is* a tough one, and can easily take three weeks. And yes, there is often cold weather in April. It has gone from very warm to single digits in a few days along the trail in NC.

The Solemates
03-16-2009, 14:11
we hiked springer to fontana in 13 days and had an ice storm and a 6" snow storm during those 13 days.

you'll do fine.

Tennessee Viking
03-16-2009, 14:20
From what I hear, Bly to Smokies is a lot of ups and downs.

Then for winter gear, its not uncommon to have spring snowfall, but the nights can still drop dramatically in the mountains. So pack your long johns, the nights will be cool.

Pootz
03-16-2009, 14:32
For me it 15 took days from Springer to Fontana Dam. The trail was not that hard but I was not in great shap yet.

You never know about the weather. I started on March 17, 2007 and had a few days where the nighttime temp dropped below freezing and one day of very cold rain. Also had very warm days, one ever hit 80 degrees.

Enjoy your hike

Slo-go'en
03-16-2009, 16:25
Correction to my previous post, it took me 17 day to get from Springer to Fontana, with one zero. Actually, that zero was a 0.2 mile walk to NOC I didn't want to do the day before as to save a nights rent. But there were a few relatively short days of 7 miles in that streach because of bad weather or just being lazy.

One of the problems in doing the trip faster is the spacing of the shelters. If you want to stay or tent near the shelter for the convienice of the water supply, picnic table, privy and hanging out with other hikers, that limits how far you go in a day. If you want to do more than 10 miles, but less then 20, you end up having to camp between shelters. Which isn't a big deal, but you have to plan for that, like stocking up on water at the last shelter you go by or hopeing you find a place near a water source.

weary
03-16-2009, 17:28
Eight miles a day is a comfortable backpack for most casual hikers attempting a long distance backpack. Many of those who read the encouraging mileage figures on WB and attempt to emulate them, end up injuring themselves and being forced to quit their hike.

A few can go faster. Most can't. I'm talking about the first several weeks of a thru hike attempt. Most eventually can double or triple that daily mileage. But if they don't build up to high mileage slowly, they risk injuries.

I suspect most injuries from falls stem from trying to go too fast and too far during the early days of a thru hike. At least, I only fell twice on my 2,000 mile walk. Once I was just careless. The other time was jumping to a wet rock wearing new boots with unexpectedly slippery soles.

It never occurred to me to keep count, but I don't think I've fallen more than a dozen times in 70 plus years of hiking.

Those who fall more often, or who escape falling by carrying two lekis, I think, probably try too hard to keep up with the inflated miles bragged about on internet forums.

Weary

Mags
03-16-2009, 18:05
If you are coming from just off the couch with little to no experience, it is probably a good guesstimate.

If you are in average shape and are experienced, 12 MPD +/- seems about right for most people.

Naturally you go faster or slower if you are in really good or really bad shape.

freefall
03-16-2009, 18:16
17 days from Springer to Fontana with a zero at Neel's. But that was off the couch.

RockDoc
03-16-2009, 18:30
Thanks for all the helpful perspectives.
A limiting factor of course is number of daylight hours which currently is only 12 hrs in GA/NC. Bigger mileage days are easier during the summer when there are more daylight hours to hike. (Not that we care much about making big miles, but its nice to have some idea of expected progress to use for planning purposes, like food drops, etc).

As they say, HYOH, and YMMV.

CrumbSnatcher
03-16-2009, 18:48
*over 90% of A.T.(first time) THRUHIKERS HAVE NEVER BACKPACKED AT ALL. *CAN SNOW DAMN NEAR ANYTIME OF THE YEAR IN THE SMOKIES *19 DAYS IS THE AVG. TO REACH FONTANA

stranger
03-16-2009, 21:09
Springer to Fontana isn't all that hard, but I would say that from NOC to Fontana is something that can slow you down, and the first part of the Smokies is a tad tough - but 19-21 days to Fontana seems absurd. I've hiked that section twice and it can easily be done in 11-14 days depending on your fitness and experience. Personally speaking, what are people doing with the rest of their time if they are hiking 8 miles per day? That's about 3 hours for most hikers.

MileMonster
03-16-2009, 21:29
Lots of good feedback here. This section is not a royal bitch, but tough on people because it is generally where most thru hikers start their hike, and many are not in shape when they start. It is the "break in" section. I'd guess all three statements are fairly accurate, though.

"The average to Fontana is 19-21 days". - Probably true but that's an average. Seems like you are in shape and have experience. You'll likely be above average and able to do 15 per day if you want to. In 2004 I hiked with my mother who was in good shape and we made 15 per day from the start.

"We normally get 2 ten inch snows in April, carry winter gear" - Snow is probably not too uncommon on the ridges in April.

"2/3 of each years starters are gone by Fontana never to enter the park. A huge number had unrealistic schedules or self inflicted injuries caused by too many miles." - Large portions of those starting quit early, at least that is what I've always heard.

Don't sweat it, you'll be fine. You did the AT in Maine so you know how rooty and rocky and switchback free the AT is. If you did 12-15 there you will likely have no problem doing the same or more in the South.

Have fun.

- MM.

Cookerhiker
03-16-2009, 21:30
2 section hikes:

11 days in March, Springer to Wallace Gap (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=55484). That included the Approach Trail. Took a nero day at Neels Gap. I had only decided to hike this about 10 days beforehand and it was the longest backpack I had ever done at that time.

6 days SOBO Fontana to Wallace Gap (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=84126) in October including nero day at NOC. The sixth day was only a few hours. Cheoah Bald took forever hiking SOBO.

CrumbSnatcher
03-16-2009, 21:55
alot of the people attempting thruhikes have never backpacked or have little experience. and some will never hike again. but they like zeros in the beginning. some take zeros at neel gap,hiawassee,franklin,n.o.c. or where ever. thats just an avg.(19 days)not all time spent hiking. e-mails,library's,hotels,buying souvenirs,town everything. not everyone comes flying out of the gate. WHY? 19 days Fontana-30 days Hot springs-6 weeks Damascus ON AVG.

handlebar
03-16-2009, 22:18
Took me 18 days including one planned zero at Cloud Nine Hostel near Dicks Ck Gap (highly recommended) and another holed up in the tent above Bly Gap on 3/24/06 during a snow storm. YMMV.

Egads
03-16-2009, 22:31
Personally speaking, what are people doing with the rest of their time if they are hiking 8 miles per day? That's about 3 hours for most hikers.

Exactly. Carry a light pack and hike longer, further, faster, & easier. This is not an endorsement for a gentleman's herbal supplement:D

Mags
03-17-2009, 00:39
Personally speaking, what are people doing with the rest of their time if they are hiking 8 miles per day? That's about 3 hours for most hikers.

Just from organizing backpacks over the years with people new to backpacking and/or not in good shape, I can answer that question pretty easily:

Most people pack very heavy and are not in the shape to carry that load so they tire easily. Five miles with moderate gain is about the MOST they want to do
Even if they are in average shape, if they have not backpacked, it uses muscles that you have not used before. Again, the beginner backpacker tires easily
Because they tire easily, the beginner backpacker tends to take many breaks. Every climb requires a break. Eight miles probably takes eight hours total (seriously)
The futz factor - I don't how many trips I've been on where the inexperienced people fished out their rain gear (because they didn't know where it was), put it on..took it off and tried to find a spot again. Mess around with their filters..etc. That all adds up.
Most importantly: Most backpackers are not hikers; they are campers who hike to camp. They want to take their time, set up camp..and well, camp.

Backpacking itself is becoming more rare in the outdoor world. People who hike big days (considered 10+ MPD by the average backpacker) and do it consistently are rarer still.

Ask the average backpacker what they think of doing a 10 mile day and they would not like it.

I organize many hikes in addition to backpacks. What many of us would consider a moderate hike (10 miles) was deemed too difficult by most. (The answer of course is quit yer sniveling and organize an easy hike! :D)

So, to sum this up, the average backpacker would find 8 miles of hiking to be a full day. And most people starting from Springer fit in the average category. By the time they make it to Fontana Dam, they are probably getting their trail legs, are in better shape and can bump up the mileage a bit.

JMO.

fiddlehead
03-17-2009, 02:49
Most importantly: Most backpackers are not hikers; they are campers who hike to camp. They want to take their time, set up camp..and well, camp.

So, to sum this up, the average backpacker would find 8 miles of hiking to be a full day. And most people starting from Springer fit in the average category. By the time they make it to Fontana Dam, they are probably getting their trail legs, are in better shape and can bump up the mileage a bit.

JMO.

Once again, wise words from Mr. Mags.

I have a friend who attempted an AT thruhike twice. The best he did was 500 miles. I think he pretty much knew he wasn't going to make it all the way. HE hiked the 2 miles to STover Creek on day one even though it was a beautiful warm March day and he started early. He just liked to camp better than hike.

I'm the opposite. I like to walk. I often walk till dark and then just sleep beside (or even on) the trail. For me, a 10 mile day would be boring.

freefall
03-17-2009, 02:53
Once again, wise words from Mr. Mags.
HE hiked the 2 miles to STover Creek on day one even though it was a beautiful warm March day and he started early. He just liked to camp better than hike.

I'm the opposite. I like to walk. I often walk till dark and then just sleep beside (or even on) the trail. For me, a 10 mile day would be boring.

Just remember there is another camp over the next ridge. None better than today but better than you have seen.

Marta
03-17-2009, 07:23
In addition to the sore muscles and general confusion of beginning backpackers, there are also a tremendous number of problems with blisters and foot/ankle/knee pains that are more serious than just sore muscles. I think a lot of those early zero days involve buying new shoes and/or knee braces, consulting doctors, etc.

Also, for someone who is not in great shape and of a certain age, doing sustained "high-mileage" (15+) days is different from doing a couple of days over the weekend, and then going home and recovering Monday-Friday.

bigcranky
03-17-2009, 07:39
Eight miles probably takes eight hours total (seriously)

Absolutely true for many beginning hikers. Add in some serious climbs, and it may get longer. We talked with a couple of hikers who took more than 8 hours to get from Springer to Hawk Mountain. They were near the start of the Sassafras-Justus day, which is much harder, and they were pretty wiped out. At 10am. I suspect they dragged into Gooch Mountain Shelter pretty late in the day. (Both of these days are less than 8 miles, BTW.)

Remember too that many beginning hikers aren't all that efficient in camp. It can take all morning to make breakfast, get water, take down the tent, pack up, change clothes, re-pack a few times, and finally get on the trail. Seriously.

Finally, let me add this (and it's something I tried to make clear to the nobos we met last week.) There is NOTHING WRONG with taking 21 days from Springer to Fontana Dam. Yeah, a hiker needs to average 12-13 miles per day for a six month hike, but you don't need to *start* at 13 mpd. It's easy enough to do big miles later in the hike. For beginning hikers especially, it's important to start slow and build up to that level. Otherwise it's too easy to get hurt or just get miserable and drop off the trail.

freefall
03-17-2009, 08:19
There is NOTHING WRONG with taking 21 days from Springer to Fontana Dam. There is nothing wrong with taking 30, 40, etc... days as long as that is what you are planning. Always, ALWAYS have at least a day or two of emergency food available just in case.

Mags
03-17-2009, 11:43
Remember too that many beginning hikers aren't all that efficient in camp. It can take all morning to make breakfast, get water, take down the tent, pack up, change clothes, re-pack a few times, and finally get on the trail. Seriously.

Absolutely! I though of that after I made my post (and just added it!). I remember one trip in particular where I was packed and ready to go in less than 1/2 an hour. Other people were still..well, futzing around.

I learned than on "Social backpacking trips" to be patient and realize that I ain't thru-hiking. :sun

Finally, let me add this (and it's something I tried to make clear to the nobos we met last week.) There is NOTHING WRONG with taking 21 days from Springer to Fontana Dam.

Absolutely true! Having fun is the main idea. IF you take it slow and build up...you will have fun.

(Conversely..there is nothing wrong with going "faster" -which really means longer hiking days - if you are experienced, in good shape and enjoy walking all day)

bigcranky
03-17-2009, 12:48
(Conversely..there is nothing wrong with going "faster" -which really means longer hiking days - if you are experienced, in good shape and enjoy walking all day)

Very true. However, I was just trying to counter the feeling that I was getting reading this thread, that "I did it in 12 (or 11 or 14) days and anyone should be able to do it that quickly."

If a newbie hikers reads Whiteblaze, they may think that anything less than 15 miles a day is a failure.

Tilly
03-17-2009, 14:04
Springer to Fontana isn't all that hard, but I would say that from NOC to Fontana is something that can slow you down, and the first part of the Smokies is a tad tough - but 19-21 days to Fontana seems absurd. I've hiked that section twice and it can easily be done in 11-14 days depending on your fitness and experience. Personally speaking, what are people doing with the rest of their time if they are hiking 8 miles per day? That's about 3 hours for most hikers.

I don't even think I could hike that fast on easy, flat terrain.

On average terrain I average 2 mph. So that's 4 hours of hiking, and add an hour for breaks, pit stops, packs adjustments, looking at the map, etc. So that's 5 hours for 8 miles.

In difficult, steep, rocky terrain I go down to 1-1.5 mph. So potentially 8 miles can take me all day.

I carry a moderate weight (20# fully loaded in warm months, 25# in the cold months.)

I know that some people can fly but not everyone does. It'll be the day when 8 miles will always take me 3 hours flat.

Mags
03-17-2009, 15:28
Very true. However, I was just trying to counter the feeling that I was getting reading this thread, that "I did it in 12 (or 11 or 14) days and anyone should be able to do it that quickly."

If a newbie hikers reads Whiteblaze, they may think that anything less than 15 miles a day is a failure.

No worries. I knew you meant just what you said. Thanks for the added info, though! Probably a good idea to emphasize that the 8MPD figure is about right for most new backpackers.

(A civil thread on WB... Jokes and all. Who woulda thunk it? :D)

garlic08
03-17-2009, 15:37
Definitely pay attention to the snow warning. I hiked in two April blizzards last year, one in the Smokies, one on Mt Rogers, probably averaged 10" each, temps in the teens.

Ox97GaMe
03-18-2009, 14:44
17 days is probably very close to the average time for hikers. There area several factors that go into the equation. It isnt just 168 miles / 17 days = 9.9 miles per day.

a) most hikers are taking extended stays (most times overnight) at one or more of the following places:
1) Walasi-Yi (Neel Gap)
2) Hiawassee
3) Franklin
4) NOC

b) Most AT hikers are relatively new to the long distance hiking thing, and will only hike from shelter to shelter early on. This gives them options usually of approx 8-12 miles per day.

c) As new hikers, they arent accustomed to hiking in rain/snow/cold. A lot of hikers try to wait out the rain early in their trip, or get later than normal starts or finishes to their day. Average rain in GA/NC/TN that time of year is < 4 days each week.

The average hikers are probably averaging closer to about 1.5 mph of on trail hiking time through that stretch. There are approx 12 hrs of daylight when the 'pack' is starting out. As more experienced hikers, you will be able to calculate what your daily mileage could be

ncnewbierhiker
03-18-2009, 15:27
I inquired about stopping at a NC hiker's lodge during my coming section hike of GA/NC and a lodge owner gave me the following info:

"The average to Fontana is 19-21 days". That is 8 miles/day.

"We normally get 2 ten inch snows in April, carry winter gear"

"2/3 of each years starters are gone by Fontana never to enter the park. A huge number had unrealistic schedules or self inflicted injuries caused by too many miles."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

those are just statistcs that are clouded by inexperienced lazy unknowledgeable, unprepared pack sniffing wannabes

Kirby
03-18-2009, 19:43
Took me 13 days to cover my first 100 miles.

stranger
03-18-2009, 22:23
Perhaps my suggested average is a bit fast, but to each their own, I guess what I meant was assuming you are covering ground around the 2.5 mph mark, or greater, 8 miles would be a short day. I appreciate not all hikers walk this fast, or they take too many breaks. I guess it depends on fitness levels so some degree, but hiking is also very mental in my experience, which comes from experience.

I often wonder if "hiking' itself if why people go on the trail, because often there is negative comments made about doing longer days, I mean it's kinda like ice cream, I like ice cream so I like eating alot of it. I like hiking, so I like hiking long distances in a day.

freefall
03-18-2009, 22:38
...I mean it's kinda like ice cream, I like ice cream so I like eating alot of it. I like hiking, so I like hiking long distances in a day.
Then you will be trying the half gallon challenge then! Do not forget the law of diminishing returns. One mile of hiking can create a euphoria but to get that same feeling you might have to hike 3 more miles, then 10 and so on....
I always admired hikers that kept pushing on. Me, I reach a point and say that is it for the day and do not hike another step beyond practicality. Of course, on the climb out of the NOC, about 2/3 of the way through, I threw my pack down, yelled that I had had enough and sat down in the middle of the trail. After a few minutes, I said to myself, ok, your through but what are you gonna do now dumba@@? So I laughed at myself, picked my pack up and continued hiking for another 1000 miles. :D

Mags
03-18-2009, 23:06
Perhaps my suggested average is a bit fast,

It is not fast at all....for an experienced backpacker, in shape who enjoys walking all day. ;)

The original figures were for the average starting thru-hiker who tends to be not in the best shape, have heavy loads. little experience and is more inclined to camp than hike.

I can comfortably hike ~25 MPD (esp when there is more daylight than a month ago) consistently. 11 yrs ago when I did the AT? Not so much. :) (~15 was what I started with).

freefall
03-18-2009, 23:25
Perhaps my suggested average is a bit fast, but to each their own,
I started with folks that were doing 18-20 miles per day out of the gate. I never saw them again but followed them in the shelter registers. It all depends on how you feel and what you are comfortable with. Keep in mind that hiking that fast you will quickly be out in front and may see few, if any, people on the trail early on. This doesn't bother some people but a lot require at least some human interaction every few days. Once spring hits you will have day hikers but that does not always hit the "spot" when it comes to thru-hikers (unless they have Ginormous amounts of grub then well,....) You will fall into a pattern that you are comfortable with. Have a date to finish by, hike fast, want to see some old friends, slow up. And unless you work as a back-country ranger or a ridge runner, it all beats a great day at the office!

RockDoc
03-19-2009, 21:52
Great feedback folks.

I'm reading Awol's book, in which he says (p. 24):

Ridgerunner Roger "Manysleeps" is on the trail about a half-mile above Fontana Dam... He tells me that the dropout rate for thru-hikers has consistently been 50 percent before finishing the Smokies.

Based on this, the quote about 2/3 giving up at Fontana seems exaggerated. But the remarks about 19-21 days and preparing for winter conditions seem reliable enough, in an average sort of way.:-?

FWIW, I'm a section hiker and it's important that I'm in Asheville NC to catch a plane back home on the 21st day out of Springer. I was hoping to do the Smokies. Thru-hikers may not have such time constraints and can be more leisurely if they wish. Many take a lot of town days in GA/NC; I would too since it sounds like great times.

Blissful
03-20-2009, 23:29
I know quite a few in '07 that didnt make it past the Smokies, many d/t injury. I thought of quitting in this section - Stecoahs and in the Smokies. The Stecoahs are the toughest part of that section, IMO.

stranger
03-20-2009, 23:41
I was thinking about this some more, perhaps if you did something like:

- Approach Trail - majority don't do this however
- Hawk Mtn
- Gooch Mtn
- Woods Hole
- Neels Gap
- Low Gap
- Blue Mtn
- Tray Mtn
- Deep Gap
- Hiawassee
- Plumorchard Gap
- Standing Indian
- Big Spring
- Franklin
- Siler Bald
- Cold Spring
- NOC
- Sassafras Gap/Cheoah
- Fontana Dam

And threw in 2 zero days, then it would make sense, but honestly speaking, that's a whole lot of time and not a whole lotta hiking, alot of those days are in the 7-8 mile range, some less than 5, without involving going into town.

Even if you move at 1.5 mile per hour, with 7 hours of walking each day, you could easily cover over 10 miles per day. I think the reason it takes people so long is due to shelters, like those who hike from Springer to Hawk, then to Gooch, then Woods Hole, just because of shelter locations. For example, Justus Creek is a nice spot, but most hikers go to Gooch shelter, just like people stay at Blue Mountain Shelter rather than camp on Rocky Mountain. Standing Indian Shelter instead of the summit of Standing Indian, etc... And you usually end up camping anyway, cause most of the shelters will be full anyway.

I think if so many people didn't rely on shelters, they might find you can easily get to the Smokies in less than two weeks, with a zero or two if you want, provided you get into shape before arriving at Springer Mountain.

prain4u
03-21-2009, 00:56
My guess is that snow/rain/cold take their toll (and increase the number of days needed to hike this section)--especially for Newbies and for folks who start their hike sometime in January thru mid-March.

I have no personal experience on this topic. However, much of what I am reading sure seems to indicate that (especially for inexperienced hikers) there is not much overall advantage to getting an "early in the season" start on a thru hike. When one factors in the financial costs and time delays created by taking numerous "zero days" in town due to a reluctance to hike in poor weather--most newbies would probably be better off starting later in the season. My guess would be that a Newbie who started hiking at Springer on February 20th would probably reach Harper's Ferry at roughly the same time as a Newbie who started on March 15th (if the "early bird" hadn't already dropped out due to being miserable or having overspent their budget).

weary
03-21-2009, 10:35
Perhaps my suggested average is a bit fast, but to each their own, I guess what I meant was assuming you are covering ground around the 2.5 mph mark, or greater, 8 miles would be a short day. I appreciate not all hikers walk this fast, or they take too many breaks. .....
I've been hiking all my life -- well since the age of 4, anyway. When I was 33 I tended to be in front of those I was hiking with, most of whom tended to be a few years younger than I was. I don't remember figuring mph.

I know that it has been quite a few years since I've walked 2.5 mph on a mountain trail -- or anything close to that. I still tend to lead the pack of hikers I'm with, even though they tend to be several years younger than I am, but twice as old as Stranger's 33.

My goal has always been to hike at a comfortable pace, which changes with terrain, age, and physical condition. The same goes for breaks. I try to walk at a pace that minimizes the number of breaks.

I'm not sure what "too many" breaks means. Wise hikers take a break whenever their bodies tell them they need a break. A lot of breaks, however, suggests that they are hiking at too fast a pace.

Weary, age 80 on May 4

stranger
03-21-2009, 19:31
Perhaps "too many breaks" was bad wording, what I meant is that if you don't get yourself into shape prior to starting a hike you will be taking heaps of breaks, because you are not fit. I agree that taking breaks is usually a sign of trying to hike too fast, but not always so.

When we go on these trips we usually end up hiking with other hikers who have similar styles, therefore, if I'm hiking around 3 miles per hour I'm likely to spend time with others who do the same, therefore my view could be "this is typical" when it's not.

My point wasn't about how fast someone hikes, because that's irrelevant, my point was that I think most hikers do not take 19-21 days to reach Fontana Dam (generally speaking). It's probably not a bad idea to start a week or two early and plan on taking 20 days to reach Fontana, thus getting in shape along the way. But if you get in shape prior to reaching Springer mountain then you can get to the Smokies much quicker if you want to, that's all I'm saying.

RockDoc
04-26-2009, 13:33
Just to close out this thread, we finished Springer to Fontana in 11 days, a bit faster than the 19-21 we were told. However, we met a lot of hikers who certainly took about that long. We just reached Hot Springs (Day 20). Had some rain/snow, but no 10" snowfalls. Overall we found Georgia to be EASY hiking, but we are very experienced. NC was a notch or two tougher but still doable.

We saw a lot (dozens) of thruhikers bail out. Probably 1/2 to 2/3 by the end of the Smokies is quite accurate. The ones who make it past Davenport Gap are mostly burly and together, in good shape with reasonable pack weights.

Have good hikin' y'all!

Jeff
04-26-2009, 14:50
It's alway nice to "speak from experience" !!!!!

Continue to enjoy the AT:sun

Lemni Skate
05-03-2009, 22:16
I was just down there section hiking with my kids (age 9 and 11) and we were happy with 7 mile days. I'm sure it would have taken me 20 days to Fontana. I would have enjoyed every second, too.

Big Oz
05-03-2009, 22:27
Which NC lodge owner told you that?:o

modiyooch
05-03-2009, 22:28
Just to close out this thread, we finished Springer to Fontana in 11 days, a bit faster than the 19-21 we were told. However, we met a lot of hikers who certainly took about that long. We just reached Hot Springs (Day 20). Had some rain/snow, but no 10" snowfalls. Overall we found Georgia to be EASY hiking, but we are very experienced. NC was a notch or two tougher but still doable.

We saw a lot (dozens) of thruhikers bail out. Probably 1/2 to 2/3 by the end of the Smokies is quite accurate. The ones who make it past Davenport Gap are mostly burly and together, in good shape with reasonable pack weights.

Have good hikin' y'all!thanks for the follow up post