PDA

View Full Version : Stove question

Big Suave
03-16-2009, 18:33
Will I be ok with an MSR Pocket Rocket on my thru? I just keep seeing a lot of things in my guide books on places selling alchohol by the oz., but not much on canister fuel. Thanks

SweetAss03
03-16-2009, 18:35
You will be fine. I did it with mine without problems and hundreds of other have done the same.

Have a great hike!

Panzer1
03-16-2009, 19:42
canister fuel is easy enough to find on the trail.
Of course alcohol and coleman fluid are even easier to find.

Panzer

Mags
03-16-2009, 19:56
If that is the stove the works for you, you'll be fine. Canisters are pretty easy to come by on the AT and nearby trails (and even the PCT it seems)

peakbagger
03-31-2009, 20:57
Heres a heat shield for a pocket rocket that I built several years ago. I used it for multiple 1 week section hikes and a 5 week section. I used to get 10 days to cannister without it and went to about 13 days with it. The bottom of the shield is just about level with the fuel control. I have never detected any significant reflected heat towards the cannister. Bascially it acts more like a chimney to direct the heat up and around the sides of the pot and makes a big difference if there is any breeze. I used to have to cook in a shletered location without it and with it I can cook out in the open. Where its really great is when I am simmering, I just about turn the flame off (about the equivalent of a butane lighter) and its keep simmering, without the shield the flame would go out.

Its made out of aluminum flashing with a loose lock seam that holds it together as the metal is springy. It stows inside the pot along with the stove and a plastic cup and spoon when I am carrying it. The hangers are made with Stainless Steel tig wire, not sure if regular wire would work as well.

The pot is a MSR titanium version but it could be sized for any pot

The downside is that its a pain to setup initially but you get used to it.

skinewmexico
03-31-2009, 21:56
Get one of the new Primus pots with the integral heat exchanger, and you'll use even less fuel. Kind of heavy though.

Tennessee Viking
03-31-2009, 23:07
Will I be ok with an MSR Pocket Rocket on my thru? I just keep seeing a lot of things in my guide books on places selling alchohol by the oz., but not much on canister fuel. ThanksIt really depends on how much you cook.

When you get to the more country or remote areas of trail where resupply is minimal. You will either need to UPS mail drops of canisters, or get to an outfitter. Sometimes outfitters can be a far off.

If you go stove, its lighter, somewhat more compact, and you can control the amount of fuel you carry.

I just got a Liberty Mountain stove and I am loving it. I used to carry a Coleman stove, and that thing was bulky. With stoves, you can go to any hardware store, Walmart, or paint store to pick up alcohol.