PDA

View Full Version : Adventure Foods....

Hammock Hanger
05-24-2004, 21:34
As I have so much on my plate these days I just don't have a lot of time to prepare food for the trail. I do plan to buy a lot at stores along the way, however, I wanted to try some of the newer "prepared" camp foods. I came across a site that had some really nice stuff at Adventure Foods. -- I have sent for a few of their items to check them out.

Has anyone on this site tasted any of their stuff??

http://www.adventurefoods.com/afsearch.asp

This definately isn't the cheapest route... :rolleyes: Sue/Hammock Hanger

Lilred
05-25-2004, 07:14

Sue,
Check out ebay for deals on prepackaged foods. Mountain House has some good meals. So does Enertia. Enertia has less packaging than MH. I've never tried Adventure Foods.

Blue Jay
05-25-2004, 10:15
As I have so much on my plate these days I just don't have a lot of time to prepare food for the trail. I do plan to buy a lot at stores along the way, however, I wanted to try some of the newer "prepared" camp foods. I came across a site that had some really nice stuff at Adventure Foods. -- I have sent for a few of their items to check them out.

Has anyone on this site tasted any of their stuff??

http://www.adventurefoods.com/afsearch.asp

Yes, I am a big fan of their sauces and their high fat dehydrated milk. No they are not cheap but I like to eat well out on the trail. In this case, you get what you pay for.

food
05-25-2004, 10:52
I use their cold prep meals and desserts when hiking in hot weather. My favorite is the Greek Pasta Salad. They are heavy and expensive, but very good.

I have had good experiences with their bulk food.

For TVP I now use:

http://soybean.com/hl_ecart.htm

Ramble~On
05-25-2004, 22:52
I am very familiar with Adventure Foods. The company is about a 5 minute drive from my house. I have worked the past few years guiding backpacking and canoeing trips in and around North Carolina. Adventure Foods are the only meals we use. The key to their meals is "The Bakepacker" which is a small aluminum grid unit which sits in the bottom of your cookpot. You simply add a small amount of water to the pot and a small amount of water to the packaged food, mix or blend and place it into the pot where it cooks.
There are no dishes to wash and the garbage is minimal. The meals are great.
What is nice is that you can bake cakes, muffins, pizza and "gourmet" food on the trail. Sam and Gene at Adventure Foods happily help thru-hikers and will maildrop for you...just call them (704) 497-4113
If you want to try some of their stuff try the peanut butter bar...it's instant.
chocolate cake, ham and cheese breakfast casserole and Cranberry/walnut chicken.
I have tried everything they have and have nothing bad to say about any of their stuff.
If weight is an issue for you keep in mind that you'll use more stove fuel cooking their meals than other backpacking foods out there.
[email protected]

lilygrrrl1
05-26-2004, 11:16
i, too, just ordered some adventure foods products to try. but one question remains...do i need to use the 'bakepacker' for every meal??? i can understand using on the breads and cakes...but is it necessary for use with the rest of the food products?? :-? i really like my current cookset....................................

:confused: (((sadly i'm still confused after visiting their website))):confused:

thanks for your input!!

krinkles

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2004, 11:26
i, too, just ordered some adventure foods products to try. but one question remains...do i need to use the 'bakepacker' for every meal??? i can understand using on the breads and cakes...but is it necessary for use with the rest of the food products?? :-? i really like my current cookset....................................

:confused: (((sadly i'm still confused after visiting their website))):confused:

thanks for your input!!

krinkles

From what I have read they can be boiled or microwaved. Seeings we will be on the trai that leaves boiling. The items that need to have the "bakepacker" are things like muffins, breads, etc. Hope this helps. Sue/HH

eyahiker
05-26-2004, 20:46
HH, can you get these in FL somewhere? Black Crk Ofitters?

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2004, 20:54
HH, can you get these in FL somewhere? Black Crk Ofitters?
not sure if they carry these... I'm planning on running over there this weekend, I'll let you know. Sue/HH

2Questions
05-26-2004, 21:30
Might try LDP Foods if you have time to order them in. I've had good success with LDP and if you buy regularly, you get discounts!http://www.ldpcampingfoods.com/AdventureFoods.htm

Ramble~On
05-27-2004, 03:28

thanks for your input!!

krinkles
All of their food packages come with instructions for the bakepacker and for cooking without the bakepacker...So No, you do not need to use the bakepacker every time....
The "BakePacker" is simply a small aluminum grid that sits inside your cookpot and functions as a "super" heat exchanger...it speeds up cooking Adventure Foods and makes them turn out..."better" ?...(my opinion)
The Bakepacker comes in two sizes..Standard and Ultra-Light
The Ultra-light fits any 6" or larger cookpot and weighs ?????? not much
Without the Bakepacker more water is needed for most meals and cooking time increases...which means more stove fuel used.

retread
06-04-2004, 01:37
I highly reccomend their products. When I hiked I bought bulk quantities and put them in smaller ziploc bags. I have used their black beans, tomatoes, lentils, and TVP. They are a small family business and will give you personal service.