PDA

View Full Version : Pave the Appalachian Trail!

hopefulhiker
03-16-2009, 20:51
It is has been a few years since my thru but I did not realize all the improvements made to the trail as detailed by this site sponsored by the PTAT....

http://pavetheappalachiantrail.org/

Cookerhiker
03-16-2009, 20:57
Seems I remember a few years back Lone Wolf advocating for paving the Trail. I wonder if he's involved in this movement.

4eyedbuzzard
03-16-2009, 21:00
I'm thinkin' it's all those whiney disabled people. :rolleyes:

hopefulhiker
03-16-2009, 21:07
I liked the nanny service at Standing by Indian, and the three waitresses per table at the Blood mountain cafe!

Cookerhiker
03-16-2009, 21:12
Seems I remember a few years back Lone Wolf advocating for paving the Trail. I wonder if he's involved in this movement.

And here it is: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=86139&highlight=pave#post86139

superman
03-16-2009, 21:19
I'm thinkin' it's all those whiney disabled people. :rolleyes:

Yeah, and they get all the best parking places. Now they're even going to be able to do an AT thru roll.:)

Tin Man
03-16-2009, 21:23
i have always advocated carpet

ColdFire
03-16-2009, 21:27
indoor/outdoor carpet and hell maybe make a putt putt course out of it :-?

bullseye
03-16-2009, 21:37
Will the ATC give out a patch for 2000 mile thru bikers?:D

Tin Man
03-16-2009, 21:39
paved or carpeted, don't matter, as long as it can accommodate one of these...

http://www.segway.com/img/content/models/x2-golf.jpg

4eyedbuzzard
03-16-2009, 21:47
We're definitely gonna need a beer cart.

Tin Man
03-16-2009, 21:48
We're definitely gonna need a beer cart.

with a beer cart gurl

George
03-16-2009, 21:57
I was going to donate to pave the trail until I noticed the beer kiosks were only open until 2 am this is unfair to those of us who prefer to sleep in and hike/drink at night !

4eyedbuzzard
03-16-2009, 22:02
Hmmm, we're gonna need go-cups too.

hopefulhiker
03-16-2009, 22:08
I also liked the rotating sky pech at Tray Mountain~

johnnybgood
03-16-2009, 22:09
Don't we need to also stripe it with white-blaze ? :-?

4eyedbuzzard
03-16-2009, 22:09
Only in the passing zones

johnnybgood
03-16-2009, 22:17
Lots of those steep grade signs needed.

mateozzz
03-16-2009, 22:29
I demand wireless internet in my tent!!!

Tin Man
03-16-2009, 22:43
sat link, cam and live feed to trail journal... we want to be in touch every minute of the hike

SoonerTex
03-16-2009, 22:53
I suggest a moving walkway like at airports. Step on at Springer step off at the end. I guess to be fair we would also need one for SOBO.

Tin Man
03-16-2009, 22:56
someday 'hiking' the AT will be an imax experience

Tin Man
03-16-2009, 23:02
you will be sitting in your living room/office/wherever wearing a surround screen visor getting the full AT experience thru someone else's camera, click a button, say something irrelevant on wb, click the back button to go back to the trail and bang, zoom there's an alligator avatar staring you down. :)

SoonerTex
03-16-2009, 23:06
Then it would be "Hiking is just sitting"

phishpapond
03-16-2009, 23:17
This is a great idea. Hell let just plow over the mts so we don't have to walk up hill.

Now sitting in corner mubbling to myself about the frigin idiots in this world

phishpapond
03-16-2009, 23:26
Someone please tell me this a joke.
Stupid pansey knucklehead mommy's boy tourist moron JAGOFFS
Yeah that rights I said JAGOFFS just went pittsburgh on you idiots

Lone Wolf
03-16-2009, 23:27

nope. this is serious as a heart attack. i would love to see the AT paved and graded

phishpapond
03-16-2009, 23:31
nope. this is serious as a heart attack. i would love to see the AT paved and graded

What why?

Lone Wolf
03-16-2009, 23:32
access for all

Tin Man
03-16-2009, 23:35
access for all

harleys?

Lone Wolf
03-16-2009, 23:37
harleys?

yes and them old gals on the Hovarounds

Tin Man
03-16-2009, 23:39
yes and them old gals on the Hovarounds

need some charging stations to keep the batteries juiced

Feral Bill
03-16-2009, 23:54
How about genuine wild animals right by the paved path, safely contained of course. No, wait, we have that already.

superman
03-17-2009, 07:29
Old people and handicapped people shouldn't be allowed access to the AT because they look funny.:)

Gray Blazer
03-17-2009, 07:46
It is already paved on Wayah Bald.

camojack
03-17-2009, 07:53
It is already paved on Wayah Bald.
It's paved in a lot of places, when you think about it→ :-?

freefall
03-17-2009, 07:57
need some charging stations to keep the batteries juiced
Cut down all the trees within 100 yards of the trail to allow solar charging of them hovarounds and scooters from the Scooter Store.

superman
03-17-2009, 08:14
Cut down all the trees within 100 yards of the trail to allow solar charging of them hovarounds and scooters from the Scooter Store.

Yeah, and that would allow thru hikers to charge all their electronic crap at solar recharging stations if they can get to them through the crowds of those funny looking people in their hovarounds. :)

freefall
03-17-2009, 08:27
Yeah, and that would allow thru hikers to charge all their electronic crap at solar recharging stations if they can get to them through the crowds of those funny looking people in their hovarounds. :)
I need my Ipod and my Iphone and my Ichair!......

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2009, 08:55

The AT is taxpayer supported. Why shouldn't it meet ADA Standards for Accessible Design (http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html#Anchor-Appendix-52467)?

freefall
03-17-2009, 08:58
The AT is taxpayer supported. Why shouldn't it meet ADA Standards for Accessible Design (http://www.ada.gov/reg3a.html#Anchor-Appendix-52467)?

SHOOSH!!! SH!!!!!! Don't open that can `o' worms!
I wanna go to the top of K2 AND Everest. Can We do unlimited O2 so i can do it????

TJ aka Teej
03-17-2009, 09:35
It is has been a few years since my thru but I did not realize all the improvements made to the trail as detailed by this site sponsored by the PTAT....

You couldn't have sat on that link for another two weeks, Hopeful? :D

Skyline
03-17-2009, 10:04

Oy! Double Oy! ;)

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2009, 10:10
Oy! Double Oy! ;)

http://persianesque.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/oyvey.jpg

Slo-go'en
03-17-2009, 10:51
I can't see paving the AT, but tow ropes and zip lines here and there would be a big help. And while we're at it, solar powered battery chargers at every shelter and wind powered water pumps for when the spring is 1/4 mile down hill from the shelter!

superman
03-17-2009, 11:04
I can't see paving the AT, but tow ropes and zip lines here and there would be a big help. And while we're at it, solar powered battery chargers at every shelter and wind powered water pumps for when the spring is 1/4 mile down hill from the shelter!

Heck yeah, the wheel chair folks can just grab on to the tow rope on the up hill and let gravity take them down the mountains. Don't forget WiFi at all the shelters. Hot and cold running water at all the shelters would be very real. Oh yeah, don't forget handicapped accessible flush toilets at every shelter.:)
Kinda makes me wonder what Wingfoot thinks of all these real or proposed changes in the trail. He railed against any change for a long time. I'd guess it would make him mummble and stutter.

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2009, 11:20
Let WF buy his own trail. Let's let Mags (Hike MY Hike-Damnit) make the rules for the AT.;):rolleyes::D

RITBlake
03-17-2009, 11:41
Wait, wait, wait....

This isn't a joke?

Because it looks like someone has put some time/money into it???

lol, give me a break.

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2009, 12:04
Why would you think it's a joke? Maybe you just need more information in order to see the need for these improvements.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2009, 12:52
Why would you think it's a joke? Maybe you just need more information in order to see the need for these improvements.

Indeed. I really like the idea of Kioshes every 3 miles with bar/grill and live bands Fri+Sat night. Sort of what Avery had in mind when he thought up this trail.

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2009, 12:57
The Kiosks are kind of more in line with MacKaye's ideas--that whole self-sufficient trail community/regional planning thing. I think he'd be proud.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2009, 13:04
The Kiosks are kind of more in line with MacKaye's ideas--that whole self-sufficient trail community/regional planning thing. I think he'd be proud.

Your right, I get the two confused. Avery was the more puritian of the two.

mateozzz
03-17-2009, 14:17

I take it you haven't seen the privy at the CT shelter, outside of Kent I think. It is handicapped accessible, nice little ramp up to a huge room so you can turn around in your wheelchair. Of course, I have no idea how you would get a wheel chair up there since it is a pretty steep rock pile up from the road. The story I was told is that any enclosed structure has to be compliant, which I think is driving the privy design to just be a seat behind or wall, or without walls judging by some of the photos I've seen! Or maybe someone was just bored and wanted to haul a lot of plywood up a hill... Of course, with a little grading and pavement, it would be great!

Tin Man
03-17-2009, 14:20
Privy accessible? That's nothing. Garfield Hut is now accessible. Sign even says so, "but the trail to the Hut should not be considered accessible" duh?

Pedaling Fool
03-17-2009, 14:43
I blame all you Trail Magic MoFos

superman
03-17-2009, 15:09
I blame all you Trail Magic MoFos

I blame everything on my ex-wife and my dog. :)

4eyedbuzzard
03-17-2009, 15:16
I like to Blame It on Rio

NashvilleBiscuit
03-17-2009, 15:29
This has got to be one of the worst ideas in history. Paving the AT so people can take motorized scooters on it. Some people really know how to ruin nature.

SoonerTex
03-17-2009, 17:40
Could we also plan Grocery stores within 50ft of trail so we don't have to walk far to resupply. I guess with WiFi we could send in our orders so that they are ready when we get to location. Would that be the 21st century Mail Drop?

Footslogger
03-17-2009, 17:44
It's paved in a lot of places, when you think about it→ :-?
======================

yeah ...parts of New York were solid rock with lines painted on them. What more could you ask ? Course when they get wet and slippery it can get a little dicey :-)

'Slogger

puddingboy
03-17-2009, 18:02
They cant be serious about paving the AT, you guys seem to be taking it as a joke but imagine the AT with bikers and scooters and even atv's zooming past you.

ColdFire
03-17-2009, 18:05
Wait, wait, wait....

This isn't a joke?

Because it looks like someone has put some time/money into it???

lol, give me a break.

I made a hefty donation and I would encourage others to do so as well. :jump

puddingboy
03-17-2009, 18:07
I made a hefty donation and I would encourage others to do so as well. :jump

You made a hefty donation so they can pave the applachian trail, are you kidding me. This would ruin the whole trail and everything about a wilderness experience. I would advise all of to not donate.

Mags
03-17-2009, 18:56
Let WF buy his own trail. Let's let Mags (Hike MY Hike-Damnit) make the rules for the AT.;):rolleyes::D

It's not just for the AT..it is for all the trails. If you aren't doing it my way..well, it is obviously wrong.

Of course, if the AT is paved it would be RIDE MY RIDE - DAMN IT!

sheepdog
03-17-2009, 18:58
Just think of the new gear. Backpacking roller blades.....

Mags
03-17-2009, 19:00
I plan on donating money on the condition they have beer fountains. They have wine fountains in Spain (http://www.travelphotoarchive.com/main.php?g2_itemId=4324)..I want beer fountains.

Tin Man
03-17-2009, 19:26
I'm in!

superman
03-17-2009, 19:29
I plan on donating money on the condition they have beer fountains. They have wine fountains in Spain (http://www.travelphotoarchive.com/main.php?g2_itemId=4324)..I want beer fountains.
I ask myself what I would do if I were king. Some times the answer is not socially acceptable. In this case I say "all hail Mags.":)

4eyedbuzzard
03-18-2009, 00:37
They cant be serious about paving the AT, you guys seem to be taking it as a joke but imagine the AT with bikers and scooters and even atv's zooming past you.

You made a hefty donation so they can pave the applachian trail, are you kidding me. This would ruin the whole trail and everything about a wilderness experience. I would advise all of to not donate.

You're just young and uninformed. It ain't easy gettin' old and disabled and such. Us old guys paid for this trail with our tax dollars over the years. And we've had enough of this wilderness "roughin' it" crap. We wanna ride it with our Harleys and Hoverounds. You just need some more information and you'll understand and donate too. Honest.

Tennessee Viking
03-18-2009, 00:58
My club has always gotten comments, and no joke, we should have escalators on climbs, shovel off all the snow and leaves, have a McDonalds at popular trailheads, its too dirty, too cold, shelters need electricity, plumbing & private rooms.

TJ aka Teej
03-18-2009, 01:29
The best part about this idea is that the aging maintainers will still be able to get to their sections on golf carts and motorized wheel chairs. Four season access would be a given once all sections are open to snowblowers. Now if they'd only trim the forest back 50 or 60 feet on either side even pesky blowdowns would be eliminated as a problem. Progress marches on!

sheepdog
03-18-2009, 07:01
Are they just going to put McDonalds on it? I'd lik an ocasional Taco Bell or KFC.

superman
03-18-2009, 07:27
The best part about this idea is that the aging maintainers will still be able to get to their sections on golf carts and motorized wheel chairs. Four season access would be a given once all sections are open to snowblowers. Now if they'd only trim the forest back 50 or 60 feet on either side even pesky blowdowns would be eliminated as a problem. Progress marches on!

Good idea but do you think 50 or 60 feet is enough for effective fields of fire to keep those pesky wild animals from going poo on the manicured, paved AT?:-?

camojack
03-18-2009, 07:37
Heck yeah, the wheel chair folks can just grab on to the tow rope on the up hill and let gravity take them down the mountains. Don't forget WiFi at all the shelters. Hot and cold running water at all the shelters would be very real. Oh yeah, don't forget handicapped accessible flush toilets at every shelter.:)
Kinda makes me wonder what Wingfoot thinks of all these real or proposed changes in the trail. He railed against any change for a long time. I'd guess it would make him mumble and stutter.
Or maybe stumble and mutter? Just sayin'... ;)

hopefulhiker
03-18-2009, 07:49
I like the fact that the Max Patch Eatery will serve 192 different entrees.. Also they one of the few establishments that will serve BOTH Coke and Pepsi!

freefall
03-18-2009, 07:56
The water fountains every 1/2 mile on Blood Mtn. should come in handy too!

puddingboy
03-18-2009, 19:49
Well I for one don't want to hike 2100 miles on a sidewalk.

Lone Wolf
03-18-2009, 19:52
blue-blaze then

puddingboy
03-18-2009, 19:57
You want me to blue blaze 2100 miles?

beakerman
03-19-2009, 01:17
they should put a chair lift on K2 or Mt Everest for those of us that can't climb the beasts.

Come on folks pave the AT?! I can see widening it and grading it for maintenance and such--that would give some access but paving it would ruin it.

This idea comes from the "everybody is a winner" mindset--you know the ones that don't keep score in kids sports and all of the kids get trophies--that sort of crap.

Everybody has limitations...me I'm not an artist so I don't do that, nor am I an accountant so I don't do that either. you would never have a blind person directing traffic or a deaf person answering the phones--these are natural limitations just like not being able to hoof it up the side of a mountain is a natural limitation--honor it. If you can do it enjoy it while you can but once it's gone don't mess up the experience for the rest of us just so you can keep yourself happy. If you really must continue then find another way.

There is a place not far from where I grew up in MD called Dan's Rock. It is just a big old rock outcrop at the top of a mountain..nothing really special about it. It was covered with all manner of graffiti from centuries. If one knows where to look you can find where some early settlers carved their names in the rocks. Now some of those got painted over by generations of drunk kids but they were still there to be found and seen. Then someone got the brilliant idea to put a walkway up the rock and a viewing platform at the top. Now nobody walks the rock so nobody knows about these old carvings. some of them were even covered by the walkway--just so everybody can have access to the view. Well it ruined the place in my opinion. The fun of the place was scampering around on the face of the rock looking for this kind of stuff--getting to know the rock so to speak. The only difference now between Dan's rock and one of those scenic overlooks is Dan's rock is well off the so called beaten path and when was the last time you stopped at one of those scenic wonders for anything other than a pit stop to lighten the load while trying to get from point a to point b?

It's the fact that it is hard that makes the AT the AT. Easy acess would make it the C&O canal towpath or the Western MD Rail Trail now wouldn't it?

Lone Wolf
03-19-2009, 03:21
the AT ain't hard.. pave it for the good of all though.

hopefulhiker
03-19-2009, 09:50
Paving, fountains and resturaunts are not enough... I would like to see inte rnet access available every couple of miles or so.. Also a movie theater every few hundred miles along with Starbucks, Walmarts, and Radio Shacks.. The AT needs more development!

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2009, 11:17
A couple thousand more miles like this and we'll be gettin' somewhere!

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/files/storyphotos/Thundering%20Falls%20Boardwalk,%20rasudduth%20via% 20Flickr.jpg

weary
03-19-2009, 11:28
access for all
Yup. Access, unfortunately, to something that no one will want.

weary
03-19-2009, 11:45
Your right, I get the two confused. Avery was the more puritian of the two.
Not really. Mackaye had two Phases. His early thinking called for summer camp complexes where people could relax in a rural setting and where they could grow food for themselves and hikers coming behind them. Later he pushed for a pure wilderness trail. And opposed Avery's compromises that allowed paved access roads for hikers and tourists.

Weary

superman
03-19-2009, 11:53
I drove rte 66 a couple times. It was a hoot with the buildings shaped like different things like a derby hat, hot doog, tea cup and others. They could replace the shelters with full service motels shaped like natural things you might find in the woods. Maybe like a acorn, pine cone, bear terd or even a tree.:)

Heater
03-19-2009, 11:57
I'm thinking install some of those vaccuum tubes like they have at the banks. Attach the between all the shelters. Then, you could just get sucked all the way to your next destination.

Shoop!

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2009, 12:10
Come on folks pave the AT?! I can see widening it and grading it for maintenance and such--that would give some access but paving it would ruin it.
This idea comes from the "everybody is a winner" mindset--you know the ones that don't keep score in kids sports and all of the kids get trophies--that sort of crap...
It's the fact that it is hard that makes the AT the AT. Easy acess would make it the C&O canal towpath or the Western MD Rail Trail now wouldn't it?

Yup. Access, unfortunately, to something that no one will want.

Not really. Mackaye had two Phases. His early thinking called for summer camp complexes where people could relax in a rural setting and where they could grow food for themselves and hikers coming behind them. Later he pushed for a pure wilderness trail. And opposed Avery's compromises that allowed paved access roads for hikers and tourists.
Weary

Times have changed guys. Note the vast majority of comments here from the AT hiking community in support of this venture--people no longer want a wilderness experience completely devoid of modern conveniences, and they want to honor the ethical committment to access for the disabled. The AT MacKaye envisioned has served its purpose. The world has changed. It's time to move on and re-invent the AT to serve the needs of a new generation and the greater common good.

Pedaling Fool
03-19-2009, 12:17
It's being "progressive":D

The Weasel
03-19-2009, 12:19
Times have changed guys. *** It's time to move on and re-invent the AT to serve the needs of a new generation and the greater common good.

You jest.

TW

weary
03-19-2009, 12:28
Times have changed guys. Note the vast majority of comments here from the AT hiking community in support of this venture--people no longer want a wilderness experience completely devoid of modern conveniences, and they want to honor the ethical committment to access for the disabled. The AT MacKaye envisioned has served its purpose. The world has changed. It's time to move on and re-invent the AT to serve the needs of a new generation and the greater common good.
Okay. I surrender. I'll support paving -- just as soon as we pay off the national debt. Until then those handicapped folks will just have to crawl among the rocks.

Of course we should also poll the handicapped first to make sure they really want the wilderness destroyed. I've finally reached the handicapped category. My doc said I should carry a cane even while supermarket shopping. I'm resisting. But during sad moments, I realize I don't have much chance of ever seeing the summit of Katahdin again.

But my vote remains the same. Guard the few patches of almost wilderness that remains with all your remaining strength. I know I will.

Weary

www.matlt.org

leeki pole
03-19-2009, 12:35
The most popular trail in GSMNP is.....paved. Pave away!

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2009, 12:38
The most popular trail in GSMNP is.....paved. Pave away!

I'm glad to see most people are getting it.

superman
03-19-2009, 12:49
I'm thinking install some of those vaccuum tubes like they have at the banks. Attach the between all the shelters. Then, you could just get sucked all the way to your next destination.

Shoop!

LMAO, LMAO, LMAO...Did you mean that in a sexual way?:D

Mags
03-19-2009, 12:51
Hmmm..some of you must have a long leg. One leg is really getting pulled. :D

BTW..the Tooth Fairy is not real, too..sorry to burst your bubbles. ;)

Mags
03-19-2009, 12:52
A couple thousand more miles like this and we'll be gettin' somewhere!

The wide part of the walkway would make a kick-ass beer garden!

Dances with Mice
03-19-2009, 12:56
BTW..the Tooth Fairy is not real, too..sorry to burst your bubbles. Damn. Really?

I made some nice change as a kid and figured that, counting inflation, I could make some real money as I get older.

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2009, 12:59
Hmmm..some of you must have a long leg. One leg is really getting pulled. :D

BTW..the Tooth Fairy is not real, too..sorry to burst your bubbles. ;)

Killjoy. It's about time though.

Pedaling Fool
03-19-2009, 13:00
All you people that are against paving the AT, just don't get it. It's about reducing physical difficulties with walking in a natural setting. We like the natural setting because it's where we came from, but we don't like the arduous physical activity, not because we are lazy, but because where we are going -- going in a evolutionary sense.

We are changing from a physical being, see this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism.

All you guys that can't see this evolution are just too conservative in your views.

Footslogger
03-19-2009, 13:00
The wide part of the walkway would make a kick-ass beer garden!
========================

We'd need more picnic tables or handrails to lean on :-)

'Slogger

Mags
03-19-2009, 13:16
Damn. Really?

I made some nice change as a kid and figured that, counting inflation, I could make some real money as I get older.

Imagine the pay out for wisdom teeth !?!?!?

========================

We'd need more picnic tables or handrails to lean on :-)

'Slogger

...and some brats, 'kraut and mustard. Mmmm....

Killjoy. It's about time though.

I'm sorry. But it looked like the thread was about to get oh-so-serious. We have enough of that already. :) Besides..I really do want a beer garden with beer fountains!

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2009, 13:34
...I'm sorry. But it looked like the thread was about to get oh-so-serious. We have enough of that already. :) Besides..I really do want a beer garden with beer fountains!
It's been a real challenge at times, notably

...The AT MacKaye envisioned has served its purpose. The world has changed. It's time to move on and re-invent the AT to serve the needs of a new generation and the greater common good.

Banana time :banana

freefall
03-19-2009, 15:32
Yet another reason for paving the trail: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48093
With all the improvements, digital signs could be installed at trailheads and shelters to post useful information like this!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance015.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

mister krabs
03-19-2009, 16:09
Yet another reason for paving the trail: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48093
With all the improvements, digital signs could be installed at trailheads and shelters to post useful information like this!http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance015.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

http://www.contentious.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/zombies.jpg

ColdFire
03-19-2009, 16:27
yea hiking the AT should be more like a volksmarch! mmmm lots of gluwine :D

superman
03-19-2009, 17:06
I was thinking of hopping on a Segway Personal Transporter. Rather than wear that annoying pack... just shoot it forward in one of those (previously proposed) vacuum tubes.:banana

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 17:08
I was thinking of hopping on a Segway Personal Transporter. Rather than wear that annoying pack... just shoot it forward in one of those (previously proposed) vacuum tubes.:banana
just get the backpack attachment for your segway. no need to send your pack separately> what if it gets stuck in the tube, or, god forbid, someone steals your stuff? :eek:

leeki pole
03-19-2009, 17:24
Heck, I like the golf cart idea. Pack on one side, golf clubs on the other. Pick up a hiker if they look tired. Cooler between the seats, with cold beverages. Drive that sucker all the way to Big K, hitting balls at scenic overlooks (Tiger have you ever hit it 700 yards?) Then summit with a 48 gallon cooler and hit one for the ages right there at Katahdin. I like it a lot.

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 17:37
...and hit one for the ages right there at Katahdin. I like it a lot.

Lone Wolf beat ya to that, but I'm sure it is okay to do it again.

leeki pole
03-19-2009, 17:39
Lone Wolf beat ya to that, but I'm sure it is okay to do it again.
Maybe, but mine would be from a free drop. I think he used a tee.

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 17:47
Maybe, but mine would be from a free drop. I think he used a tee.

Rule #5967452.7 of the PGA official rules states, 'if you're the first to hit off katahdin, you're the first'. look it up, it is plain as day.

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2009, 17:52
Rule #5967452.7 of the PGA official rules states, 'if you're the first to hit off katahdin, you're the first'. look it up, it is plain as day.

I hope he had the honor if this was match play. If not, he could be required to replay the stroke. USGA Rule 10-1 (c)

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 17:55
I hope he had the honor if this was match play. If not, he could be required to replay the stroke. USGA Rule 10-1 (c)

Well, first round, he won the toss and he still has honors.

p.s. Thanks for the catch on the rules, I said PGA, I meant USGA.

SoonerTex
03-19-2009, 21:49

Shoop!

LMAO
SoonerTex