PDA

View Full Version : Left Zip / Right Zip Preference?

Stuart
05-24-2004, 22:45
Do you prefer a left zip or right zip sleeping bag?

Do you have a rationale for your preference?

I'm about to buy a new bag and I'm obsessing over this. Always used a right, considering a left. Tend to fear change. Being right handed maybe a left zip is more logical as you would reach across and unzip with the dominant hand?

SGT Rock
05-24-2004, 22:50
Loose the zipper - go fo the quilt!

Alligator
05-25-2004, 07:52
Suggest the zipper side to be on the dominant hand side. When the bag is fully zipped and the mummy hood is drawn, it can be difficult to get your hands throught the face opening to reach the zipper. On cold days, I am zippering from the inside.

Triple A
05-25-2004, 08:51
When we bought our bags, my hubby has a left zipper and I have a right zipper so we can zip them together if the mood strikes. I should also say that I am slightly more able to handle the "challenge" of a right zipper despite my right handedness. ;)

Triple A

Brushy Sage
05-25-2004, 08:58
No rationale; right just feels right.

Stuart
05-25-2004, 09:59
Loose the zipper - go fo the quilt!

Actually a quilt is my preference, BUT:

1. I'm not much on trying to make a down quilt myself.

2. I'm interested in a summer-weight bag/quilt and the Nunatak Arc Ghost seems somewhat small with a 46" shoulder width (I'm 6'4"+ and range in weight from 200-250 and very broad shouldered).

3. The Nunatak quilts are somewhat more expensive than a good summer weight bag.

4. I'm looking at a WM CAribou that weighs 23 ounces which seems light enough for me and has a full zipper which would allow me to use it unzipped in warm weather. So I see it as a quilt-like sleeping bag. It is also a good bit larger than the Nunatak Ghost quilt and seems more suited to my size.

I'm surprised other companies haven't added a quilt or two to their line of bags. If I felt like the Arc Ghost was big enough for me I'm sure that would be my first choice. I started to add 'no zipper' to the poll, but thought I'd be straying from the information I need to know in regards to making this decision about the left zip bag.

Thanks everybody for the replies. I'm eager to hear other opinions as well. Thanks.

food
05-25-2004, 11:03
I agree that a quilt is the way to go but that is not the question.

Should match your bivy zip.

Hennessy Hammock is best with left zip.

Opposite zips so that you can join with a spouse is good.

More important is zipper pulls that allow you to zip either inside or outside.

Why not split the difference and go with a center zip like the Feathered Friends Wrens?

Jaybird
06-09-2004, 09:59
I'm about to buy a new bag and I'm obsessing over this. Always used a right, considering a left. Tend to fear change. Being right handed maybe a left zip is more logical as you would reach across and unzip with the dominant hand?

HELL.......i'm just hoping i can get out of the bag in the morning.....hehehehehehe

i like a left zipper....no reason...i just like 'em! :D

Saluki Dave
06-09-2004, 12:57
I got a right zip, because I'm right-handed, and I figured it would be easier to operate. Hmmm...so much much for my logic. Actually because of my -over-the-shoulders measurement, its a miracle I can get it to zip at all. I usually scrunch down in the bag, zip it over my head and then straighten out. Am I the only one who has to plan a head call like a military campaign?

cupcake
06-09-2004, 20:54
i am right handed, and prefer the left zip --- it's easier for me to zip/unzip with enough room for the arm movement vs. having the zip on the rt. side. i did purchase a right zip though because it was on sale and in house --- though my latest purchase (mt. hardwear phantom 32*) won't zip to another bag -- zip doesn't separate. but, i've considered sometimes before it i'd at least like to face my tent mate. hey --- get inside both and try it out and see which is a more comfortable movement --- by the way, i usually unzip from the inside zip vs. from outside.

Pencil Pusher
06-10-2004, 02:31
I didn't vote because I prefer them both:banana

mmills316
06-10-2004, 14:40
I am a lefty and I like my bags to zip on the right side. I bought cheap summer bag by Lafuma recently. It is a left zip but I didn't realize it. I don't like it. Also, I sleep on my right side most of the time and it is weird for the zipper to be behind me.

Big Dawg
06-10-2004, 16:28
I'm right handed, & have a left zip bag. I've always been told you buy the zip side that is opposite of your dominate hand, which makes it easier to reach across--inside/outside your bag, & zip/unzip. Just my .02

Frosty
06-10-2004, 22:42

I think if one is going to obsess, one ought to obsess about bigger things, like racoons eating all your food midway between maildrops, or who first thought PIGGLY WIGGLY was a good name for a supermarket.

My advice: go to the store, and when they ask "left or right zip," just say, "Surprise me."

Ramble~On
06-14-2004, 17:08
uMmmmmMMMMMMMm,

I like bread and butter
I like toast and jam
I like right side zippers
Their my favorite brand.

Actually, I've never given this any thought.
I have ? 6 sleeping bags and guess what...
All of them that have zippers are on the right side.
I guess if I get a little crazy I can always flip the bag over and
VIOLA, de zipper...she now be on dah odder side.
:clap

highway
07-14-2004, 08:22
Neither left-hand zips for the right-handed folks or right-hand zips for the left-handed folks [the opposite would be awkward and incorrect]but the best place of all for the zips is :right down the center.

But that wasn't an option on the poll, was it?

BigToe
07-15-2004, 20:33
I was talking to a knowledgeable clerk at Campmor and he told me that you should buy a zip on the opposite side of your dominant (left zip for a rightie) so that it is easier to zip in/out. That being said the bag I wanted (Mountain Hard Wear Phantom 45) only had right zips in stock (I'm a rightie). I bought the right zip anyway and it works fine for me. I never knew there was right/left zips and have always had a right zip anyway...

Stuart
07-15-2004, 22:35
I went ahead and purchased a left zip bag. I assumed Catfish John's rationale as relayed by the Campmor rep.... that left would be easier opposite your dominant hand. I discussed this with Western Mountaineering, who's bag I purchased, and they told me from their standpoint it was simply preference, no rationale.

Anyway having used the left zip bag now I would say that there isn't much difference one way or the other. my right zip & left zip bags are equally easy to use. I'll have to put a little more time into the left zip to form a stronger opinion. I can say that going to the left was not more difficult.

Moon Monster
07-16-2004, 13:09
Maybe I'm a klutz, okay maybe there's no maybe about it, but I frequently use two hands to zip---one to actually zip and the other to guide the bag material away from the zipper so it doesn't get caught.

steve hiker
12-21-2004, 04:17
I'm a side sleeper and mostly sleep on my left side, so I chose a left zip. That way I'm facing the zipper most of the time during the night instead of having to turn over.

ffstenger
12-21-2004, 06:26
I have a rectangle bag so I have room to move and turn. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning the zipper is on the bottom or the other side from where it started. Boy I turn a lot !!!:p

Footslogger
12-21-2004, 10:48
Kinda depends on whether you tend to sleep on your back or your stomach. Next time you're at an outfitter have them lay out a right and a left hand zipped bag. Crawl in and then just try and reach for the zipper without paying attention to which side it's really on. That will tell you your preference.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Bloodroot
12-21-2004, 12:52
Suggest the zipper side to be on the dominant hand side. When the bag is fully zipped and the mummy hood is drawn, it can be difficult to get your hands throught the face opening to reach the zipper. On cold days, I am zippering from the inside.
Actually I like just the opposite. Zipper on the opposite side of the dominant hand so I can reach over my body to unzip. I always unzip from the inside of the bag.

Icicle
12-24-2004, 18:12
I have a left zip and hubby has a right - so we can zip them together! ;)

minnesotasmith
12-24-2004, 21:31
"Am I the only one who has to plan a head call like a military campaign?"

Pee bottle -- available everywhere Gatorade and water bottles are discarded.

(Credit to Sgt. Rock for first suggesting these on WB, as far as I've noticed.)

Doctari
06-24-2005, 09:11
I have a nomad tent, when laying so I can see out of the door/window the door is on my left side. So my choice of zipper location is so getting in/out of the sleeping bag is less of a hassle, ie I don't have to crawl over the bag to get in it.

Doctari.

HikerHobo
06-24-2005, 10:22
I'm with Doctari. I like my bag zipper to be on the side
that faces the door of my tent. When I upzip the bag
it opens directly toward the door. Don't have to crawl
over the whole bag. Can lay with an open bag and face
the open door for the view.

If you use a h. hammock, your screwed either way;
kinda like trying to put your sock on while wearing
the shoe; like getting into a mummy bag
that has no zipper at all.

:eek: . . . . :-?

Did I say that, in the "Land of Hammocks ?"

sliderule
06-24-2005, 12:33
Right hand zip seems to be the industry standard for bivy bags. So if there is a chance that you might use a bivy at some point, you might forget the dominant hand theory and consider a right zip sleeping bag.

NoKnees
06-28-2005, 00:49
Just to weigh in on this old thread. I prefer a zip opposite of the dominant hand. I am right handed so I like the left zip. That way I can lay on my left side in the morning and cook from my bag with my right hand. Very nice when its 25 degrees outside and I need a hot cup of joe to get going.

springerfever
06-28-2005, 09:53
If you can't make up your mind, a solution would be a quilt w/zipper and w/continuous baffles; such as the WM Mitylite/Aspen. By moving the down from top to bottom you have a lot of temperature adjustment.

I have the Aspen w/o hood and I've experimented with zipper left/zipper right/zipper middle and I actually prefer the middle option. The Aspen also has a draft tube next to the zipper to prevent drafts.

By adding a snap near the shoulder drawstring you can "wear" the bag around camp and while taking care of natures call. Simply unzip foot, pull that portion of bag up into the waist area (inside) and unzip a couple of feet from center zip in order to free up your hands......... Works great !!!

In colder weather, I add a Nunatak balaclava to keep my head warm. Its a great addition cause it turns with your head if you sleep on your side and can also be used alone.......

Meadow Creek
07-08-2005, 11:19
I have a rectangle bag so I have room to move and turn. Sometimes when I wake up in the morning the zipper is on the bottom or the other side from where it started. Boy I turn a lot !!!:p
I have the same problem, even though I have a mummy bag--it doesn't seem to matter how tightly I cinch myself in; I'll still wake up with the head of the bag covering my face! Restless sleeper...

I ended up with a left-zip because my bag was on super ultra markdown clearance and all the right-zips were gone. Given the above, I can' say it really matters...

MorrisseyFan
11-19-2005, 17:16
I think if one is going to obsess, one ought to obsess about bigger things, like racoons eating all your food midway between maildrops, or who first thought PIGGLY WIGGLY was a good name for a supermarket.

My advice: go to the store, and when they ask "left or right zip," just say, "Surprise me."
Clarence Saunders...he thought Piggly Wiggly was a good name for a grocery store. And being a good Memphian, I have to agree.

Cuffs
11-19-2005, 17:39
I have always had a left zip (I am right handed) for some reason, it just works for me. Just yesterday I bought a new North Face Cats Meow at a substantial (over 1/2 off!) savings! The drawback... its a righty... I'll deal with it!

Seeker
11-20-2005, 02:14
i sleep on my left side. i'm right handed. i prefer to face a zipper i can reach with my right hand vs having it at my back where i can't get to it... so i use a left zip bag if i have a choice.

DebW
11-20-2005, 11:01
I used to prefer sleeping on my right side and preferred a right zip. Since I broke my right collarbone I have to sleep on my back or left side. Now I wish all my bags were zipped the other way. :(

gumby
11-20-2005, 22:49
How do I know which side? Is it from the foot looking towards the head or the head looking towards the feet. Oh man now I'm sooo confused..:datz

gumby

DebW
11-21-2005, 10:20
It's from the head looking toward the feet as you lay in the bag on your back.

gumby
11-21-2005, 10:27
It's from the head looking toward the feet as you lay in the bag on your back.

I know I was just having some fun.

Right side for me until I finish my quilt.

gumby

Uncle Silly
11-26-2005, 21:22
right zip ... 'cause it was what they had in stock! :D

Mouse
11-26-2005, 23:35
My winter weight bag has a right and my summer weight bag a left. That way they can be zipped together on trips for two.

Dirtygaiters
07-02-2007, 00:00
No real preference. I'm right handed. All my bags are left zip and it just feels wrong.

Bluehaus71
08-30-2007, 05:21
Neither. I use a NF Beeline 900. No zipper.

Dr O
08-30-2007, 06:25
I think the side you sleep on (well, for us side sleepers anyway) would factor in over dominant hand.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-30-2007, 06:32
Prefer quilt with no zipper for warm weather. Don't care where the zippers are on bags as long the dinos bags will mate. Dinos like to snuggle.

summitnh
04-04-2009, 19:05
Left hand zipper for a right handed person

Lyle
04-04-2009, 20:15
I'm right handed, prefer a left zip. It's easier to reach across your body to get to the zipper than it is to try to get your right hand up to your right shoulder to zip or unzip.

YoungMoose
04-04-2009, 20:22
For some reason i cant sleep when im on my back. i can only sleep on my right side or my stomach. I use my left hand to loosen the zipper Therefore thats why i chose the right zipper.

Wheeler
04-04-2009, 22:15
Right hand zip-I smoke cigs with my right hand.

Sidewinder
04-04-2009, 22:28
I prefer left hand zipper because I', right handed, all I have to do is reach across and un-zip with one smooth motion

Quoddy
04-05-2009, 09:52
Before I switched to a quilt I had several right zip bags. Because of right shoulder pain I'm forced to sleep on my left side and with a right zip it wasn't under me, so I wasn't sleeping on it and also I could open it much easier.

I use a bivy and now lay on my left side under a quilt so I switched to a left zip bivy because I'm facing that way.

mudcap
04-05-2009, 10:11
I am side sleeper,95% on my right.I opt for a RZ because if I am too warm I can unzip a little to cool off.