PDA

View Full Version : Colorado- Memorial Day Weekend???

freefall
03-16-2009, 23:55
OK. I am looking to take a group car camping in CO that still has some great day hikes. We are thinking of Great San Dunes National Park in Southern CO but I wanted to get some input. Looking for something not horribly cold at night but offers a lot of hiking opportunities. This will be Memorial Day weekend 5/22-5/25/09.
Any suggestions?

Mags
03-17-2009, 00:23
Are they from lower elevation?

The Sand Dunes is a good choice...but (esp. in the Denver area), I always love the Lost Creek Wilderness. Lots of camping (some official USFS sites, many unofficial ones along the dirt roads). Plenty of hiking from meadow walks to higher elevation hikes at 12k ft.

The lower elevations are snow free, the higher elevations (depending on the snowpack) can have snow. Though, with the rapid melt this year it shouldn't be a a problem.

freefall
03-17-2009, 00:43
Hey Mags, knew you would be one of the first to respond. Sorry I missed the Ruck, forgot about it then remembered too late to get a reservation. As always sounds like a great time was had by all. Glad it (the date) was moved for next year.

A couple of members of the group are not what you'd call, campers. We all live in the Denver/ Aurora area (5600'.) If there isn't a privy or bathroom nearby, they won't stay there. One person said she wouldn't camp in Colorado in May unless a yurt was available but I know she will if I can give her a reasonable guarantee on the temps(I checked. There's not a yurt in Colorado available that weekend.) So I'm trying to keep it to designated camping areas but with some decent hiking nearby.

A lot of the State Parks are full already and GSDNP is first come- first serve. I was thinking of heading down there on Thursday then having the rest of the group meet me there on Friday night or Saturday morning.

Mags
03-17-2009, 00:51
A lot of the State Parks are full already and GSDNP is first come- first serve. I was thinking of heading down there on Thursday then having the rest of the group meet me there on Friday night or Saturday morning.

First, no worries on the Ruck. Perhaps next year...and you are in Denver. We should grab a beer sometime!

OK..I can totally see why you want to go to the Sand Dunes. Yep. Unless you go to a commercial campground (RV park! Bleecch! :D), the national park scene is probably a good compromise. The facilities will be relatively plush by our standards (and maybe passable for your friends. ;) ) and they have running water and flush toilets close by! Other than a few areas (like LCW), the Sand Dunes are probably going to be the only other place snow free (unless you go EAST. Pawnee Grasslands (http://www.trailsandgrasslands.org/pawnee.html) for example. More of a chill place..not too much hiking. The grasslands are worth at least one visit though...esp during wildflower season)

Good call overall on your part I'd say!

freefall
03-17-2009, 01:34
Good call overall on your part I'd say!

Thanks. It is kind of a worst case/best case thing. I have no problem staying anywhere and neither would the 11, 16 and 17 yo's- they'd be happy to be out in the woods with no one around. But their Mothers would and unfortunately they are the ones making the decisions (ones my roommate and the other is a friend by default.) I could take the boys out by myself but one of them is EXTREMELY, did I say extremely, strong willed and I think I'd end up cold-cocking him if it came down to it and, well, that just ends up not being good for anybody. (Not to mention he's coming off a snowboarding back injury at Keystone(?))

I figured at SD they could break out some old snowboards and hit the dunes and we could do a couple of hikes and there mothers would be happy at camp with a roaring fire.

ColdFire
03-17-2009, 04:53
Sand Dunes would be great, I used to love going there as a youngster :) It was always especially nice to go there when the creek was running at the base of the dunes, Usually in May and June if i remember right. Besides climbing all over the Dunes their are a ton of nice trails that make great day hikes, I would recommend the trail that goes up to the lake on the east side of the park.

The Solemates
03-17-2009, 09:14
it can still get cool at sand dunes...we were there in june and needed a jacket...

freefall
03-17-2009, 09:20
it can still get cool at sand dunes...we were there in june and needed a jacket...Just looking to keep them from being COLD. They know to expect cold. WE were in RMNP last year and I was postholing in 9' of snow at 10,000 ft. They were camped at 8k and had no idea.
Just want them in a cool area and they can start a fire.

Alligator
03-17-2009, 09:30
I stayed with a large group at Great Sand Dunes (college age) and we had a blast. Line everyone up at the top of one and race down! I can't remember if we stayed two nights or just one. We hiked on the Dunes and I think near the base we did an interpretive walk with a ranger. I don't know much though about what else is around there.

We stayed in a number of places that trip all around CO, NM, UT, AZ. It was June/July but it was often cold. I know what you mean there Freefall, the first time we went to RMNP there were still 10+ drifts up there in June. We were on our way up to the highpoint in the park.

freefall
03-17-2009, 09:42
I know what you mean there Freefall, the first time we went to RMNP there were still 10+ drifts up there in June. We were on our way up to the highpoint in the park.

We were in RMNP last year (for Memorial Day)and one half of the mother group complained about the cold. Meanwhile I was trenching through 30' of snow up Long Mt.

garlic08
03-17-2009, 18:11
May in the Sand Dunes, you might get wet feet. The creek (I think it's Willow Creek) may require an easy ford in very cold water. It won't stop anyone, but be ready for it. It should be an excellent place to visit in May. The nearby town of Alamosa is fun, as is the Cumbres-Toltec RR. You can even wrestle an alligator nearby.

Spirit Walker
03-17-2009, 22:37
Another possibility is Colorado NM. There is a good campground there and a lot of good dayhikes. It's beautiful. We were there in early June of 2007 and I would love to go back. See: http://spiriteaglehome.com/Journal14.html

gravityman
03-17-2009, 23:53
For sand dunes with a largish group I suggest the commercial campground just outside the park. They have a number of group sites with large pinons for shade. We stayed there with a group last year (4 one year olds) about that time and we had a good time. The showers get busy though. It's really good for Memorial day weekend if you can get place. I always struggle what to do that weekend. Every time we've been to Lost Creek that time of year (well, twice) the snow stopped us at about 10k. But I hate postholing...

Gravity