PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent repair

mindi
03-17-2009, 08:48
I just took out my Shires tarptent to air it out and check for damage, and lo and behold, there's a problem.

On the back of the tent, one of the little black loops that holds one of the lines is missing (I hope I'm explaining this well enough). It looks like it just unraveled. The piece is gone and there is a flap hanging that I assume was the reinforcement where the loop was sewn on to the tent.

I could probably find a piece of fabric that will work for the loop, but I suck at sewing. Do I just use a regular needle and thread and then glue the ends or something so it won't unravel? Or should I find someone with a sewing machine and bribe them into doing it for me?

Desert Reprobate
03-17-2009, 08:58
Send it back to Shires for repair. He'll have the right material and equipment to make a repair.

Jayboflavin04
03-17-2009, 09:08
Mindi,

I have read threads about HS turning repairs around in 1-2 days for ppls trips. He is TOTALLY customer oriented thought you may need to pay the high cost of overnight shipping.

Start off with and email and a photo.....the repair may even be free. I almost guarantee you will get a reply with in a few hours.

I leave in 10days for my trip....cant wait to get my TT cloudburst out where it belongs!:)

happy hikin
Jaybo

mindi
03-17-2009, 09:15
Great! Thanks for the advice, guys. I just emailed him through his website. I won't need it that quickly so I doubt it will cost much to ship it. I also asked if they would check it over for any other problems that I may not be seeing.

I didn't initially think of sending it to him because of the fact that I bought it used and I know companies often charge an arm and a leg to repair stuff that you didn't buy directly from them. Sounds like you all had good experiences with his customer service, though.

Jayboflavin04
03-17-2009, 10:21
Dont forget he is west coat so you need to account for the 3hr time difference! Henry might want to enjoy a coffee before he emails ya back!

FamilyGuy
03-17-2009, 11:50
Dont forget he is west coat so you need to account for the 3hr time difference! Henry might want to enjoy a coffee before he emails ya back!

I live in Canada so I don't often call gear suppliers in the US because of the $$ but I did call Henry once. I caught him having lunch. Since we were both having lunch we both continued to eat away as he answered my questions. He is a great spokesman for how business should be done. In other words, give him a call....

FG

mindi
03-17-2009, 13:15
I just got an email back, said it would be a lot cheaper and easier to do the repair myself or take it to a dry cleaner or some such. I feel kind of silly for asking now that they made it out to be so easy to fix!:o

Guess I'll see if anyone I know has a sewing machine.

Jayboflavin04
03-18-2009, 09:04
At least you got a good response and it is an easy fix! A stoopid question is the question never asked...

JAK
03-18-2009, 09:09
I think its good to be able to repair your stuff yourself.
I do my repairs by hand, because that's the way I would do it in the field.