PDA

View Full Version : Ap 8-18, Atkins-Daleville, what bag? Clothes?

John B
03-17-2009, 09:28
I have three bags from which to chose: WM 5 degree, WM 20 degree, WM 35 degree. The one constant is the Thermarest Prolite 3. Which bag would you use?

Clothing list, includes what I'll wear:

LOWER: Convertible pants, short pants, long underwear

UPPER: short sleeve shirt, long-sleeve shirt, Capaline 3 pullover, Micropuff fleece,

ETC: rain gear, gloves, wool hat, 3 pair socks

Is this enough clothes? Too much? I'm thinking of ditching the long-sleeve shirt. Stupid idea?

I'm going back/forth on bag choice and adding a bit more clothes because late last April just south of Atkins I hiked through snow for 2 days, temps in very low teens at night.

glad777
03-17-2009, 09:38
You should be ok with the 20 degree bag. I live in the Dalville area and I find a 20 degree bag to be about right for April. Will you be using a Tarp/bivy, Tent or hammock. That choice would weigh so on my choice but I think you will be ok with a 20 degree bag.

Cabin Fever
03-17-2009, 10:18
Wait and look at the 10 day forecast just before you leave, but I agree with glad. 20 degree should be fine. You can always throw on your micropuff while in your bag if it gets chilly. Your clothes look sufficient barring non-normal weather.

John B
03-17-2009, 11:28
I'll use a Rainbow tarptent. I'd much prefer to carry the 20-degree bag because of weight/space savings.

bigcranky
03-17-2009, 11:39
Keep the long underwear, the Cap3 pullover, and one pair of socks absolutely dry inside your pack for camp and sleep wear. Your list otherwise looks good.

20F bag should be fine, unless you get a freak cold snap.