PDA

View Full Version : Northern VA parking

sly dog
03-17-2009, 09:51
I am doing a section from Rockfish Gap to Harpers Ferry last week of May and first week of June. My brother is meeting me at Front Royal and I was wondering where I could park my car safely for 2 weeks in Harpers Ferry and where he could park his car for a week in Front Royal.

dovecote
03-17-2009, 11:36
In Harpers Ferry, you can park your car at the National Park Visitors Center (off US Highway 340) for a nominal fee. In Front Royal, park at the 4-H Center (off VA Highway 604) for free.

Both locations require registering you car and signing forms. Here are links to these establishments including phone numbers:

http://www.nps.gov/hafe/index.htm
http://www.ext.vt.edu/resources/4h/northern/contactus.html

Vadayhiker
03-17-2009, 17:56
I agree, the NPS parking lot at the visitors center will be the safest parking.

sly dog
03-18-2009, 11:51
Thanks for the info, I get out of work at 4:30 on friday and it will take me several hours to get to Harpers Ferry, what if I arive after visitors center is closed? I wonder if I could register and pay ahead of time so when I get there I could just leave the car, also I am not sure what day I will be returning.Is it pay per day or at the end?

Skyline
03-18-2009, 12:10
Unless procedures have changed, the gate to the Visitor Center gets locked about dusk. Good for security, bad for late arrivals.

You could check with ATC in HF. They may know of alternatives, tho their own lot is kinda small and they probably need every space for staff and visitors.

McKeever
03-18-2009, 12:24
Laura w/ the Outfitter in HF is very cool and might be able to provide you with up to date parking info. Just a thought......

dovecote
03-18-2009, 13:00
Thanks for the info, I get out of work at 4:30 on friday and it will take me several hours to get to Harpers Ferry, what if I arive after visitors center is closed? I wonder if I could register and pay ahead of time so when I get there I could just leave the car, also I am not sure what day I will be returning.Is it pay per day or at the end?

There is a one time fee for parking at the Visitor Center. I have parked there myself and have had the waived fee with my annual NPS pass. If you do not have this pass the fee is $6 for a maximum two week stay.

The Visitor Center hours are 8:00-5:00 and as said previously the entrance to the parking lot will be locked (usually at sundown). Your best alternative is to leave later from PA and arrive to Harpers Ferry the next morning. Sign the papers at the Visitor Center, take the free shuttle bus down to the village, and hit the trail.

sly dog
03-18-2009, 13:33
I wanted to park there to end my hike, I want to start in the bottom of SNP at Waynsboro VA. and hike to Harpers Ferry so on the way to SNP drop the car in Harpers Ferry then head to Waynsboro to sleep and start sat morning early, I would rather park then go south so I dont have to shuttle cars saturday morning.

dovecote
03-18-2009, 16:24
I wanted to park there to end my hike, I want to start in the bottom of SNP at Waynsboro VA. and hike to Harpers Ferry so on the way to SNP drop the car in Harpers Ferry then head to Waynsboro to sleep and start sat morning early, I would rather park then go south so I dont have to shuttle cars saturday morning.

The Quality Hotel is a short distance from the National Park Visitor Center on Highway 340. The ALDHA Companion indicates they provide long term parking to overnight patrons. Call the Quality Hotel at (304) 535-6302 and see if you can park your car there. More than likely there will be a fee involved since you will not pay for a night of lodging and I would suspect it would be more than the $6 NPS fee had you park at the Visitor Center.

If this works out, when you have completed the hike, take the shuttle bus from the village up to the Visitor Center. From the Visitor Center head back to the Highway and take a left at the light. It is no more than a half mile trek.

sly dog
03-18-2009, 16:27
If this works out, when you have completed the hike, take the shuttle bus from the village up to the Visitor Center. From the Visitor Center head back to the Highway and take a left at the light. It is no more than a half mile trek.

You mean I have to walk the whole half mile trek? :p

dovecote
03-18-2009, 18:56
You mean I have to walk the whole half mile trek? :p

Your pack should be light though:) Hope this plan works for you and your hiking companions.