PDA

View Full Version : A quick question....

Il Duce
03-17-2009, 10:21
I am planning a thru-hike this summer and have never done it before. Right now I'm planning the logistics of re-ups on food and supplies thru the mail.

My question:
How many days of food do most of you keep in your packs before re-supply points?

Thanks!

Slo-go'en
03-17-2009, 10:24
3 to 5 days depening how far apart the towns are.

Il Duce
03-17-2009, 10:37
3 to 5 days depening how far apart the towns are.

Thanks!

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but if you have two people to split the load...would you be able to carry more, say 7 days worth, or would the weight of the extra food exceed the extra capacity one would have?

I know it' a strange question but I haven't got all the food together yet so I have no idea how much 4 days of food weighs versus seven.

Thanks Again

Alligator
03-17-2009, 10:59
You mention mail, but there are lots of options for supplying yourself near the trail. Jack Tarlin has a very well regarded resupply article that he's posted here. (http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=resupplypart1) On the WB home page there is also a list of other resupply options on the left side of the page under the articles section.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2009, 11:01
You can split the food between two people, so long as one of you doesn't eat any!

Most people figure about 2 pounds of food per day per person. You can figure out the math from there.

bigcranky
03-17-2009, 11:36
Two people can share some gear -- stove and cooking supplies, maybe a tent, that sort of thing. However, it's usually only a couple of pounds saved. That's only a day of food for one person.

I usually carry 3-5 days of food, depending on the section, but that's really only 2-4 days plus a lunch, since it's often possible to eat a couple of meals in town when you resupply. (Not only possible, but necessary, since it's hard to carry enough food.)

Il Duce
03-17-2009, 14:24
Thanks for all the advice!

Il Duce
03-17-2009, 14:30
You mention mail, but there are lots of options for supplying yourself near the trail.

I was reading that exact article before I posted this thread! What a coincidence.

Anyways, Let me ask this. It seems to me that resupplying in town would be a much more expensive option to mailing parcels ahead.

Am I wrong in assuming this? I've been reading up on the whole mailing packages thing, is it more hassle than it's worth.

Also keep this in mind, I'm in college graduating next month, so not a lot of money to through around.

Thanks!

bigcranky
03-17-2009, 14:40
Anyways, Let me ask this. It seems to me that resupplying in town would be a much more expensive option to mailing parcels ahead.

Reasons to buy in town:

1. Priority mail will cost $10-20 per box. You need to ship PM so you can forward it if necessary.

2. You may (will?) get tired of eating the same food over and over again.

3. You may drop off the trail due to injury, etc., and then all that food money will have been spent on stuff you might not eat at home.

4. These days there are enough small groceries in small towns that resupply is generally easy. The prices are about the same as buying at your local grocery. Maybe not as cheap as Costco, but still close. Mailing costs probably make mail drops *more* expensive, not less.

If you require special food, then mail drops might make sense. Or if you have someone that will pack and mail them as needed, and shop for the things you want at any given time. But the old style method of buying everything ahead of time and mailing it is no longer really necessary.

Il Duce
03-17-2009, 14:46
Also keep this in mind, I'm in college graduating next month, so not a lot of money to through around.

Anyone see the glaring grammatical error in my braggadocios post? :datz

Thanks Big Cranky...guess I got some thinking to do.

Slo-go'en
03-17-2009, 14:56
Anyone see the glaring grammatical error in my braggadocios post? :datz

An English major no doubt :-?

Il Duce
03-17-2009, 14:59
An English major no doubt :-?

Accounting. Our creed 2+2=refund back from government

bigcranky
03-17-2009, 16:33
Actually I kinda liked the error -- seemed to be a good play on words.

Blissful
03-19-2009, 21:23
Check Jack's resupply article.

But there are pros and cons to both buying and mailing. I think a mix of the two is the best thing.

Drops are good for variety (I had better variety with drops - like my own meals than relying on the same ol thing of grocery stores like ramen, mashed pototoes and Lipton or oatmeal packets or lugging a huge box of pop tarts or can one buy a single roll of tp at a grocery store -?). Overall nutrition is better with drops with the variety you can mail yourself, IMO - I didn't start to lose muscle weight until my drops failed to show up in ME. And no trying to figre out the food you need at the grocery stores which can really be time consuming, with drops its just pack and go - though we did buy tortillas, cheese, fresher foods - and esp as Cranky says - you have a person who can do it for you on the homefront.

Il Duce
03-20-2009, 01:25
Cool, Thanks Man.

ASUGrad
03-20-2009, 10:35
Never assume your partner will be there at mealtime. Be prepared

Il Duce
03-28-2009, 12:02

I don't get it?????:-?

Hooch
03-28-2009, 12:41

I don't get it?????:-?I think what he means is that you and your partner could get split up. If you do, then one or both of you could possibly have to do without something. For instance, if you carried the food and he carried the stove, etc. Personally, I typically hike with my girlfriend, Dancer. We each have our own food supplies, our own cook setup, our own water tratment, etc. But, I do advocate HYOH, so do what works for you.

Egads
03-28-2009, 14:59
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but if you have two people to split the load...would you be able to carry more, say 7 days worth, or would the weight of the extra food exceed the extra capacity one would have?

I like your optimism, but don't follow your logic. If one hiker carries 3-5 days of food, then why would 2 guys hiking together carry 7 days of food?:-?

I apologize in advance for being a smart a__, but let's do the math.

Avg food weight / hiker / day = 2 lbs
therefore a solo hiker with 4 days of food in the pack = 8 lbs

Now 2 hikers with 7 days of food will need:
2 lbs food / hiker / day x 2 hikers x 7 days = 28 lbs food
divide 28 lbs of food by 2 hikers and each hiker will be carrying 14 lbs of food in their packs

Take the exercise one step further; if you hike an average of 15 miles per day and the next supply point is 75 miles, how many days will you be on the trail and how much food will you need?

Answer: 5 days and 10 lbs

Egads
03-28-2009, 15:06

I don't get it?????:-?

Be self sufficient. Do not rely on your partner to carry part of your gear.

If you start hiking with a buddy sharing a 7 lb two man tent with the poles and tarp in your pack, and the tent in your bud's pack, you will be carrying all 7 lbs yourself or shelling out the $ for a lightweight shelter of your own if your friend quits the hike.

moonshiner
03-31-2009, 20:54
yes