PDA

View Full Version : thermarest trail vs prolite

G. Rabbit
03-17-2009, 12:37
So I've been helping a friend find some good, reasonably inexpensive, lightweight backpacking gear since she'll be hiking with me for part of the time this sumer. A sleeping pad is the only big thing left to get. She knows the pros and cons of CCF and inflatable pads and wants to go with a self-inflating pad like a thermarest. -so I've been looking around.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with the Thermarest Trail (dark green) series? I saw one yesterday and the short is only 15oz. That's only 2oz heavier than my new Prolite3 short. The Trail is less than half the price and has a much higher r-value of 3.4, compared to the Prolite's 2.3. They are both 1". What's the catch here? Everybody raves about the Prolite, but what's so bad about the Trail?

bigcranky
03-17-2009, 12:45
Interesting. Looks like many Thermarests have lost weight. The newest Prolite short pad (equivalent to the old Prolite 3) is only 11 ounces. I don't see any reason why the Trail series would be a problem. And $30 is a great price.

BrianLe
03-17-2009, 13:07
I've read good things about the new Thermarest NeoAir. Here's a brief video review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlPPBvTJanA).

I personally use a torso length montbell thin inflatable (https://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_ul_comfort_system_pad_90.html) with the montbell inflatable pillow (https://www.prolitegear.com/montbell_ul_comfort_system_pillow.html), sometimes on top of a ccf pad, depending on conditions. I've been quite happy with that approach, FWIW. Here are some reviews on this approach (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews.html?forum_thread_id=8567).

G. Rabbit
03-17-2009, 14:35
If only I didn't have to sell a kidney to get that NeoAir! Ok, maybe not, but the price will be just a tad too steep for us broke college students. Footwear and properly fitting packs get priority, the rest is acquired as cheaply as possible (while at the same time trying to keep base weights pretty low and avoiding buying junk). My Prolite3 was a steal off ebay. Chances of that happening again are slim... At under $30 and 15oz the thermarest Trail is looking pretty incredible too. Kinda wondering about durability and whether sliding off the top is a problem though. It seems a little slick...

Mercy
03-17-2009, 20:28
Doesn't the prolite also roll up to a lot smaller volume than the cheaper one?

I don't really remember.

rp1790
03-18-2009, 11:11
Mountain Gear (www.mountaingear.com) are expecting to have their stock around 3/19. Just rang them to confirm and they do expect them around that time. She did say give or take a couple of days.

Oh....the agony, I leave for my thru on 3/20. What to do...:-?

kytrailman
03-18-2009, 11:35
Thereis nothing wrong with the trail modelat all.The cover material is different than some other models, but I started using a short last year. It does not roll up as small as a prolite, but folded, mine serves as the structure for my SMD Essence pack with my tent poles sandwiched in-between. For the price, weight, and construction, you can't beat it IMO.

skinewmexico
03-18-2009, 11:44
Try it,what's the worst that could happen? Although I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone could sleep on a 1" pad. Oh, to be 19 again. PS - you can buy almost 3 POE Ether Thermo 6s for the cost of the Neoair.

Gear To Go Outfitter
03-18-2009, 12:03
The big difference between the Trail and the ProLite is weight. The Trail is 4oz heavier than the Prolite. It may not sound like much but those ounces add up. If your friend doesn't want to buy a pad my business rents them as well. Renting a Prolite Small would cost $21 for a week or $31.5 for two weeks. I requested an update from my rep on the NeoAir pads and will post what I find out. I've ordered a bunch of them and they will be available for pre-order once I get an update.

Gear To Go Outfitter
03-18-2009, 12:04
Sorry, forgot to post my website (www.geartogooutfitters.com (http://www.geartogooutfitters.com))

G. Rabbit
03-18-2009, 14:03
Well if bulkyness and the 2oz are the only downside then I think I'll probably tell her it's worth a try. Actually I was expecting to hear some horror stories on it... something like the cover material is paper thin and explodes when you sit on it :eek: -or something similar since it's on the cheaper end. Couldn't find any real bad reviews on it elsewhere either.

-G2G your company sounds great for a week or two. I'm sure a lot of those who like to do shorter section hikes will be in contact soon. But I've got 3.5 months to burn this time :sun and she's got almost 3 months.
You probably wouldn't want rental gear back after that much use... Thanks though

Gear To Go Outfitter
03-18-2009, 21:18
Definitely agree. I didn't realize she was joining you for that long. If you need anything while passing through New York, let me know. I offer free delivery (www.geartogooutfitters.com (http://www.geartogooutfitters.com)). I should have the NeoAir pads in by April 8th.

buzzamania
03-18-2009, 23:01
I just bought a blue outdoor products roll that I paid under 7 bucks for at the "Walmarts" and cut it down to torso length and it weighs in at 11 oz. Hard to beat the price, minus the bulk. Every time I go to REI or look online I just can't see spending 50-60 smackers on an inflatable or self inflater. It just seems kinda over the top.

kytrailman
03-19-2009, 07:58
GRabbit-- get the trail. The cover is thin(different) but is fine. I really do not pay that much attention to caring for gear( I use the hell out of it) and I have had no probs. Good luck.

Camping Dave
03-19-2009, 21:34
I just bought a blue outdoor products roll that I paid under 7 bucks for at the "Walmarts" and cut it down to torso length and it weighs in at 11 oz. Hard to beat the price, minus the bulk. Every time I go to REI or look online I just can't see spending 50-60 smackers on an inflatable or self inflater. It just seems kinda over the top.

Must be nice to be young!

Tipi Walter
03-24-2009, 10:35
The big difference between the Trail and the ProLite is weight. The Trail is 4oz heavier than the Prolite. It may not sound like much but those ounces add up.

Actually, the difference is 2 oz between the Trail short and the Prolite 3 short, 15oz vs 13oz. BTW, the Prolite 3 has been discontinued by Thermarest and replaced by the "Prolite".

I'd definitely get the Trail pad since its Rvalue is 3.4 versus Prolite 3's at 2.3. Both are one inch thick though, so they won't be as comfy as the 1.75 traditional pads and the 2 inch behemoths. The main thing though if you decide to get an inflatable is pack storage and protection. It must not be lashed unprotected on the outside of the pack. With careful handling and packing, one of these pads should last for years.