PDA

View Full Version : gravity filter systems

dannybuzzell
03-17-2009, 13:52
What are your experiences with gravity water filter systems? There seem to be more appearing on the market. Like many hikers, I have used a filter (Katadyn) or chemicals (Aqua Mira ) but am always looking for a simple, reliable alternative. I do have a higher comfort level with filtered water.

RWK
03-17-2009, 18:20
I have a platypus clean stream gravity filter and have been very happy with it. Filters 4L of water quickly, easy to clean by simply backflushing.

take-a-knee
03-17-2009, 19:47
I have a platypus clean stream gravity filter and have been very happy with it. Filters 4L of water quickly, easy to clean by simply backflushing.

How do you backflush it?

Hooch
03-17-2009, 19:51
As far as gravity filters go, I have the ULA Amigo Pro (http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm) and am very happy with it. If you order one, save your money and don't order the $5 hang cord, though. The cord, hook and line lock can probably be purchased locally for about a buck.

MintakaCat
03-17-2009, 20:59
As far as gravity filters go, I have the ULA Amigo Pro (http://www.ula-equipment.com/amigo.htm) and am very happy with it.

I've been thinking about get one of those. Glad to see some feedback from someone with one. Thanks

EMAN
03-18-2009, 07:55
I ask this question somewhere else and can't recall getting an answer.
You folks who use the GF's, have you ever been unable to use it? Water level was so low you couldn't dip or something. I took a Amigo and a Campmor water bag and made my own GF that holds more water but I have yet to use it. Most places I would go have pretty good water supply but I have been to those same places when you pretty much had to dip water with a teaspoon and put it in a cup to filter.
Could be that I'm just to used to the Pro Hiker.
Thoughts? Comments?

kytrailman
03-18-2009, 08:02
I made my own. It is very straight forward and easy and filters better than any others that I have seen on the trail. It uses the dry bag and sawyer filter system . There are alot of threads here and on bplite about them. Everyone loved mine last year. There are times when a gravity filter is not feasible, but I also pack some katadyn tabs for those times.

Miner
03-18-2009, 15:08
I ask this question somewhere else and can't recall getting an answer.
You folks who use the GF's, have you ever been unable to use it? Water level was so low you couldn't dip or something. I took a Amigo and a Campmor water bag and made my own GF that holds more water but I have yet to use it. Most places I would go have pretty good water supply but I have been to those same places when you pretty much had to dip water with a teaspoon and put it in a cup to filter.
Could be that I'm just to used to the Pro Hiker.
Thoughts? Comments?

Yes, there can be water sources that may be too low to dip a water bag/bottle into. In those cases you have a small cup or container of some sort that you can use to slowly fill the bag/bottle one scoop at a time. It isn't anything that you don't have to do when using chemicals at the same water source to fill your bottles.

RWK
03-19-2009, 09:18
How do you backflush it?

You just leave some clean water in the clean water bag put that bag above the dirty water bag and filter the clean water back to dirty water bag

Unclegorb
03-20-2009, 11:31
Check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSYWoplv_Uo

The guy has good idea for an ultralight "container" to scoop water into your dirty bag. Just using an old platy thats cut at an angle...

take-a-knee
03-20-2009, 11:38
You just leave some clean water in the clean water bag put that bag above the dirty water bag and filter the clean water back to dirty water bag

And I guess that has worked to restore flow so far? The reason I asked is that filter shares the same hollow-fiber technology as the problematic MSR Hyperflow.

RWK
03-21-2009, 11:19
It has worked well for me so far. I couldn't tell you exactly how much water I've filtered so far but I have used it quite a bit. I backflush pretty often depending on the quality of the water filtered. Might be a problem if you don't backflush until it starts to clog up but I'm not sure because since it is so easy to do I do it regularly.

Brett
03-23-2009, 23:06
Im not using a gravity filter, but i am taking a 3.0l bladder with a in-line filter i put at a appropriate spot on the hose.

http://www.sawyerproducts.com/SP121.htm

The CamelBak im using is the Unbottle 100oz. It comes with a insulated covering that has clips so it fits very nicely on the outside of my pack. The only downside i see is that Ill have to always work a lil harder to get the water out :-? If I dont like it, the filter came with a fitting i can use to splice the hose back together. Time will tell i guess.

-Ghost-
04-01-2009, 01:40
Ive used the MSR Autoflow gravity filter. Its SO nice, so fast, basically a water fountain in camp. The only drawback is that you need to have ample water to be able to dip the bladder into. If a stream isnt flowing and youve just got a trickleing spring then you have a bit of a problem.

SGT Rock
04-01-2009, 04:29
I used one once. It eventually clogged up with less than 100 miles on it. I ended up throwing it away after all attempts at unclogging failed. I went back to iodine.

JOMO
04-01-2009, 17:28
Is a filter system a necessity for a thru hike?

Skidsteer
04-01-2009, 18:01
Is a filter system a necessity for a thru hike?

No.

Other options include chemical(aquamira, iodine), U.V.(Steripen), and not treating at all(drink straight from the source).

All seem to have comparable effectiveness.

SGT Rock
04-01-2009, 19:04
Seems quite a few people get rid of them every year.