PDA

View Full Version : Some stupid SOBO questions..

mindi
03-17-2009, 14:06
Looking in my Pages guidebook, I'm confused about the beginning. Do I read it backwards for the Katahdin-Abol section? I'm assuming you climb Katahdin NOBO whether you're a SOBO or not..or am I completely wrong on this? Do you go up and come back down the same way?

I'm planning on staying at the Hiker Hostel the night before. Do I get dropped off at Abol and make a reservation for the Birches for that night before climbing Katahdin?

I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound too ridiculous.

Frick Frack
03-17-2009, 14:13
Thats what we did last year because the Hunt Trail (AT) was the only trail open. We camped at Kathadin Stream Campground and hiked up to Kathadin via the Hunt Trail then hiked back to camp the way we came up then headed out the next day. I was confused too before we got there but when we arrived it was all more clear.

Best of luck on your SOBO!

RITBlake
03-17-2009, 14:26
I'm assuming you climb Katahdin NOBO whether you're a SOBO or not..or am I completely wrong on this? Do you go up and come back down the same way?

I'm planning on staying at the Hiker Hostel the night before. Do I get dropped off at Abol and make a reservation for the Birches for that night before climbing Katahdin?

You can do it a few ways. Here's what we we did and what I would recommend. Climb up the Abol trail. Then link up w/ the Hunt Trail (the AT) and continue walking towards the top. This means that you do in fact walk nobo for a mile or so. Then at the top, turn around and walk SOUTH back down the Hunt Trail (the AT) and stay on the Hunt trail until you get back down to the campground area.

Alternatively, you could walk nobo up the Hunt trail OR walk up from the East along the Knifes Edge trail and then start right from the summit, and your first step on the AT would be SOBO.

Hope that makes sense. Can't answer your question about the Birches but someone will be along to help you out. (we stayed at a motel in town)

mindi
03-17-2009, 14:40
If I stay at the AT Lodge it says they drop you off at the park entrance, which according to the book is around Abol stream, then you make reservations and swap your pack and all that there. I guess I'm wondering where I'd be staying my first night, after coming down from K. If I'm reading the first section backwards, then I would guess that would mean I'd stay at the Birches that night and then start reading it in order from there...? But then I'd be hiking that 10 miles from the Birches to Abol twice?

I'm sorry I seem so dense.

RITBlake
03-17-2009, 15:48
If I stay at the AT Lodge it says they drop you off at the park entrance, which according to the book is around Abol stream, then you make reservations and swap your pack and all that there. I guess I'm wondering where I'd be staying my first night, after coming down from K. If I'm reading the first section backwards, then I would guess that would mean I'd stay at the Birches that night and then start reading it in order from there...? But then I'd be hiking that 10 miles from the Birches to Abol twice?

I'm sorry I seem so dense.

If the AT Lodge drops you off early in the morning, you would check in, get your campsite, switch packs (if you want) and then begin hiking up Katahdin. At this point you'd be hiking NOBO up to K. Summit the top of Big K and hike SOBO back down the trail to the Birches campsite.

The next morning, wake up, make breakfast, pack up and begin your adventure southbound through the 100 mile wilderness. The beginning of a thru hike is one of the most cool/unusual/rare moments in life so savior it. It's extra cool for a SOBO because after a bit of road/river walking, you cross a clear line as you walk in to the 100 mile wilderness and you are literally entering a new world. Pretty neat.

rcli4
03-17-2009, 16:10
You can't stay at the birches. Depends on how strong a hiker you are. I would get to millinocket, spend the night. Have them take you to Abol Slide and walk to the top. Come back down the Hunt trail to Katahdin Stream. Spend the night and head south in the morning. Some folks stay the night at Abol and get an early start up.

Clyde

the goat
03-17-2009, 16:14
You can do it a few ways. Here's what we we did and what I would recommend. Climb up the Abol trail. Then link up w/ the Hunt Trail (the AT) and continue walking towards the top. This means that you do in fact walk nobo for a mile or so. Then at the top, turn around and walk SOUTH back down the Hunt Trail (the AT) and stay on the Hunt trail until you get back down to the campground area.

that's what i'd recommend too, done it twice!

mountain squid
03-17-2009, 16:17
I guess I'm wondering where I'd be staying my first night, after coming down from K. If I'm reading the first section backwards, then I would guess that would mean I'd stay at the Birches that night Thru-Hiking in Baxter State Park (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html). I don't think they want SOBOs staying at The Birches - remember NOBOs don't have the luxury of making reservations at Katahdin Stream CG as most SOBOs do. So, I'd make reservations for Katahdin Stream CG for the night after climbing Katahdin.

You might also contact AT Lodge (http://www.appalachiantraillodge.com/thru_hikers.php) to confirm exactly where they will drop you off.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

RITBlake
03-17-2009, 16:18
So, I'd make reservations for Katahdin Stream CG for the night after climbing Katahdin.

Yup, sorry MS is right, stay at KSCG, not Birches!

mindi
03-17-2009, 19:51
Thanks everyone! I think I sort of get it now :).

jnetx
03-17-2009, 23:09
The AT Lodge will drop you right at the Ranger Station at Katahdin Stream cg, you can switch out your pack for a day pack and get on the trail witin 20 mins. You will already have your campsite assignment (they xheck you in at the gate when the AT Lodge vehicle brings you in. When you return to the Ranger station at the end of the day you switch the packs back out and go set up your camp.

vonfrick
03-17-2009, 23:12
The AT Lodge will drop you right at the Ranger Station at Katahdin Stream cg, you can switch out your pack for a day pack and get on the trail witin 20 mins. You will already have your campsite assignment (they xheck you in at the gate when the AT Lodge vehicle brings you in. When you return to the Ranger station at the end of the day you switch the packs back out and go set up your camp.

yupperdoodle :sun

mindi
03-17-2009, 23:21
Whew. I feel so much better now. Thanks,everyone!

TJ aka Teej
03-18-2009, 02:39
Mindi - You're probably coming in on the bus? If so, make reservations for two nights in a lean-to at Katahdin Stream as soon as you can. The AT Lodge folks can drop you at Katahdin Stream mid-morning, but you'll want to spend time in Millinocket sending gear home and hitting the grocery store, so they'll take you in the afternoon. That gives you a campfire, a supper you didn't have to carry, and a good sleep the night before, maybe meeting other ATers, and waking up just feet from the AT. Get an early start, before the gates open, and you'll have the mountain to yourself. Take your time, enjoy the walk up, the scrambles on the Hunt Spur, the open Table Land, and the seemingly small summit sign as it gets bigger and bigger over the last mile. Take lots of photos, and nap. The trail down is totally different than the trail up, you'll butt slide and hop down what seemed major ups that morning. Rest your legs at another campfire, eat another hefty supper, and sleep well. The walk out to Abol Bridge the next day will fly by with fresh legs!
Have a great hike,
Teej