PDA

View Full Version : Isobutane canisters

mindi
03-17-2009, 14:16
I have a couple of questions about the fuel canisters for my Jetboil. I'm planning on doing limited/no maildrops. Are there any places going SOBO where I will need to carry extra because there aren't places to buy them in town?

Also, are all the isobutane fuel canisters the same? I mean, if I can find a canister of isobutane that is another brand, will it work on the Jetboil or do I have to buy the brand that comes with the Jetboil?

Frick Frack
03-17-2009, 14:25
You will be able to find them fairly easily. We bought them before we left & initially had them mailed to us but eventually we resupplied ourselves. We used the MSR Isopro canisters (8oz size for the two of us) and it would last a little over a week boiling at least 3-4 full JetBoil pots per day. The 3.5 or 4oz canister you are talking will probably do about the same for you solo (about a week). I always had an extra on hand in the beginning but quickly learned how long they would last.

Pedaling Fool
03-17-2009, 14:40
I use MSR and Giga Power canisters with my Jetboil. I like the Giga Power canisters the best, they're cheaper and seem a little more efficient.

UnkaJesse
03-17-2009, 15:16
It should just come down to the fitting. I use an MSR Superfly and I can burn just about anything except the CampinGaz canisters. Cold weather performance won't be enough of a factor to worry about the mix %'s in my opinion.

leprechaun
03-17-2009, 18:25
A friend and I hiked GA section with one jetboil each. I used the Giga Power snowpeak fuel, he used jetboil fuel. We cooked identical meals every night, and his canister lasted about 3 more meals than mine did. Not a huge difference, but I've also had better luck in the cold with the jetboil fuel.

sheepdog
03-17-2009, 19:09
MSR, Coleman(iso-butane), Jet Boil, Giga power, sno peak, if they are threaded, they all work.

jnetx
03-17-2009, 23:21
As others have said, Sno peak or any other brand with the same thread will work just as well.

Carry enough initially to get you to Monson. Shaws will shuttle (for small fee) you to the Outfitter/grocery in Greenbriar (? Green something) where they have cannisters. Gorham has an outfitter with cannisters, if it's Sunday, the hardware store across the street also carried them). Can't remember where the heck I picked them up after that which must mean they were easy to find and I stopped worrying about it. By that time we were out of the Whites/Pres no fires zone and if short of fuel just made a fire.

vonfrick
03-17-2009, 23:26
yes many different brands will fit the threads. also, last year i put fuel in w my maildrops, you just have to make sure they are sent surface mail. i checked this for the details:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=97824&postcount=1

Blissful
03-18-2009, 14:17
NOBO I mailed to PA and NY. It gets easier to find as you head south though. :)