PDA

View Full Version : Best Shenandoah National Park Section ?

Walessp
03-17-2009, 16:37
Need your recommendations for the best Shenandoah National Park section hikes, ideally in the southern half (at least south of Panorama area/Rt 211). I normally hike around 10 miles a day. Thanks in advance!

Outlaw

(walessp)

Peaks
03-17-2009, 17:08
Best hikes in SNP are off the ridge and off the AT. Dark Hollow and Hoover Camp areas are favorite areas for me.

johnnybgood
03-17-2009, 17:24
How many days are you hiking ? Plenty of great 1 & 2 day loop hikes S. of Panarama.

With all the rain we've had you might want to take a hike to see waterfalls and cascades.

>Falls Loop at Browns Gap is a very rewarding easy walking loop of 6.6 miles which also includes one section of the AT.

To start this hike go south to milepost 83 at Browns Gap parking area.

> Rapidan Camp Loop hike is also a good hike of 7 miles which takes you to Camp Hoovers Retreat .

Start at Milams Gap at milepost 53.
Again you can take a portion of the AT to incorporate in this hike and combine with other hikes.

Happy Hiking !

Kathfishes
03-17-2009, 18:16
I love SNP. Take a look at Blackrock (mile 84) just to look and strech from the ride..Then Chimney Rock to Riprap Hollow to Wildcat Ridge to the AT. (mile 90) Great views, even a swimming hole (Cold springs pool at the bottom of RipRap) It will work your legs with a 2300ft elevation change. We like to hike down..spend the night on a bench by the pool and hike back up the next day just to enjoy the area.
Doyles River Trail to AT has some nice falls. (mile 81) Browns Gap/Rocky Top/ Big Run Portal have nice views. (Mile 83.3)

With a little planing you can use the AT and Skyline Drive to connect many of the Blue Blazes for a great time as long or as short as you have time for.. ENJOY :-)

Kathfishes

Walessp
03-18-2009, 10:02
Thanks to all for the SNP suggestions!

Outlaw

Blissful
03-18-2009, 13:47
Old Rag circuit hike

White Oak canyon / Cedar Run circuit hike