PDA

View Full Version : Seam Grip - is there an alternative

hootyhoo
03-17-2009, 18:32
The stuff works great, but is there a cheap alternative?

I just found out about the alternative to silnet, and thinned silicone caulk - the windshield sealant stuff.

Now I need to find alternate for seam grip - its just too pricey.

take-a-knee
03-17-2009, 19:49
The stuff works great, but is there a cheap alternative?

I just found out about the alternative to silnet, and thinned silicone caulk - the windshield sealant stuff.

Now I need to find alternate for seam grip - its just too pricey.

You do not thin Permatex Flowable silicone windshield sealant. You apply straight from the tube. It is likely a good idea to prep your tarp/tent with an alcohol dampened rag and allow it to dry before you apply the silicone.

davisjef
11-17-2012, 11:11
Shoe Goo <http://www.rei.com/product/679240/sof-sole-shoe-goo,-clear?preferredSku=6792400019&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-6792400019&mr:trackingCode=C683071B-81F9-DE11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&{copy:s_kwcid}=&gclid=CKisy4Wl1rMCFYw-Mgods1QAaw> seems to be exactly the same stuff, and is recommended in "The Essential Outdoor Gear Manual: Equipment Care, Repair, and Selection" <http://www.amazon.com/The-Essential-Outdoor-Gear-Manual/dp/0071357122> . It's still not cheap ~$5–$6) , but comes in a much larger tube than Seam Grip. The problem I have is that after small repairs I end up wasting much of the remainder of the tube, as the tube invariable clogs and then bursts somewhere, drying out the rest of the contents (even though I geep it in a zop-lock baggie). For what it's worth, Shoe Goo comes in a stronger tube, although it is also prone to clogging at the opening. Does anyone have a better way to store this stuff?

WingedMonkey
11-17-2012, 13:39
For what it's worth, Shoe Goo comes in a stronger tube, although it is also prone to clogging at the opening. Does anyone have a better way to store this stuff?

Don't know if it is part of the reason I don't have a problem with it drying out, but I apply a little Vaseline to the threads which does make the top easy to remove the next time.
Maybe it helps seal out air too.

Wise Old Owl
11-17-2012, 14:05
uhh I can't believe I am going to step into this... Seam Grip is $7 and Hootyhoo hasn't been to WB since 2009. If you can afford a computer to post - you can afford to get Seam Grip without looking to do it cheaper. Do it right and do it once.

davisjef - to answer your question - see if you can jam a small phillips screw into the end then put the cap back on - Or understand after you have completed the project toss the tube.