PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle: Fontana Dam to Deep Gap NC

ATTurtle
05-25-2004, 10:42
I'm planning an AT section hike in a couple of weeks and need to arrange a shuttle. My first choice would be a ride from near Fontana Dam south to Deep Gap.

Does anyone have any comments about shuttle providers in the area? I see a couple in the list maintained by the ATC.

Is Deep Gap a bad choice? It is 6 or 7 miles down a dirt road. If drivers may not want to do this, is there a better entry point nearby?

Where is a good place to leave a car near Fontana?

Thanks for any thoughts

Bob Shroy

papa john
05-25-2004, 10:58
What day will you need a ride?

jbwood5
05-25-2004, 11:04
I used Jeff Hoch from The Hike Inn to shuttle me from his motel near Fontana, to the trail where it leaves Standing Indian Park. He let me leave my car at his motel for no charge. This was a few years ago, but I hear he is every bit as acommodating as back then. He will pick you up near the motel on any of the cross roads or at the Fontana Shelter. That would be my recommendation. He would also know good drop off points further North from Standing Indian Park. I recall him dropping off folks at Wahya (sp?) Bald.

ATTurtle
05-25-2004, 11:22
What day will you need a ride?

My plans now are for me to drive to Fontana on Monday Jun 7. So I'd look for a shuttle late on Monday or erly Tuesday

Bob Shroy

Jaybird
05-25-2004, 11:35
I'm planning an AT section hike in a couple of weeks and need to arrange a shuttle. My first choice would be a ride from near Fontana Dam south to Deep Gap. .......................................Bob Shroy

as posted above...the good folks @ HIKER INN will shuttle you...(& let you leave your vehicle there..no extra charge)...also the ATC website maintains a good list of shuttle providers (private citizens, usually hikers themselves, that provide shuttles to us hikers....prices range anywhere from 50 cents a mile UP...)

...& i havent met a shuttle driver yet...that wont drive up a pot-hole filled, dirt or gravel FS road (USFS71 @ Deep Gap comes to mind) :D

papa john
05-25-2004, 15:24
OK, can't help, I won't be up there until 6/12.

Contact Jeff at the Hike Inn. I used him when I did that stretch. Left my van at the motel and hiked back to it.

Have a good hike, that is a fun stretch.

Lilred
05-25-2004, 17:03
It is 6 or 7 miles down a dirt road. If drivers may not want to do this, is there a better entry point nearby?

Thanks for any thoughts

Bob Shroy

You can take the Kimsey Creek trail from the A.T. at Deep Gap, N.C. The trail leads to Standing Indian Campground, which is just a mile down the road from Rainbow Springs Campground.

Uncle Wayne
05-26-2004, 01:41
No doubt about it, Jeff and his wife are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet. We have used them twice and will again if in that area.