PDA

View Full Version : parking area 4-10 mi. N. of damascus?

sir limpsalot
03-18-2009, 10:25
I'm looking for a parking area (or safe place to park ) about 4-10 miles north of damascus with easy access to AT. rt 58 crosses around that area -on the map...does anyone know if there's anywhere to park there or have other suggestions?

Cabin Fever
03-18-2009, 10:49
There is parking area just trail north of the Cuckoo's Nest along US 58. There is a smaller crossing with pull off parking near Lost or Long (cannot remember) Mountain Shelter, also along US 58. There's also some options for parking near the Creeper and accessing the AT by the Creeper.

sir limpsalot
03-18-2009, 12:41
thanks for the info. what's the best resource for taking a good look at these options...roadmaps don't show much AT detail and vice versa

Cabin Fever
03-18-2009, 12:55
You can look at National Geographic's Trails Illustrated Maps on their site. You want to look at the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area map. Click here (http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_786) and click the zoom icon next to the map. I use this resouce all the time when I don't have a map of the area I am in question about.

sir limpsalot
03-18-2009, 13:35
...waaay coool! that one's a shortcut to the desktop! thanx.

Kneegrinder
03-18-2009, 14:08
This might be a bit farther north than you are interested in but there is parking on the south side of State Road 603 where the trail crosses. You can then hike SB up past Old Orchard Shelter and do a loop hike on the AT through Greyson Highlands to Mount Rogers and back on the blue blaze Pine Mountain Trail which used to be the AT. You hit Fat Man Squeeze which is a cave/tunnel and see lots of ponies. Beautiful hike.
Kneegrinder

CaseyB
03-18-2009, 14:33
4-10 AT miles, I assume......
5 miles: Take 58 East of of Damascus to Straight Branch parking area on your right. This lot sits on the Creeper and is not approved for camping but you can leave your car there. From the lot hike back across 58 up Beech Grove trail about 1/4 mile to AT crossing. Left on AT abt. 5 miles back to town.
7 or 8 miles: Go into Taylor's Valley via Rt. 91 & Taylor's Valley Road (left turn just after TN line, also marked as Dollarsville Rd.) In Taylor's Valley go park down near the old caboose & start walking the Creeper downstream towards Damascus about 1/2 mile to an AT connector trail which will put you on the AT in about 1/4 mile. Left goes back towards Damascus.
12 +/- miles: Park in the Fishermans lot at Beartree (do not go thru the pay station) and walk across the lake dam to the Beartree Gap Trail, which will soon cross 58 and put you into the AT, a right on the AT heads southbound to D-town.

CaseyB
03-18-2009, 14:36
My donation must have ran out, can't edit.

None of the spots I mentioned for parking are legal spots for camping.

woodysapsucker
03-19-2009, 07:33
Here are two links from the Rohland parking database for the Damascus area:

http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=10%20&sectionID=66

http://rohland.homedns.org/at/state/state_detail/AT_state_detail.aspx?stateID=11%20&sectionID=173

The homepage is: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org

sir limpsalot
03-19-2009, 08:16
thanx for all the input! guess i should have fleshed it out a little: planning on dropping vehicle at parking area N. of damascus and shuttling S. to 421 trailhead, then hiking back. the info provided me just what i need. (thanks for the circuit idea kneegrinder-i may incorporate that)

Mercy
03-19-2009, 08:38
This might be a bit farther north than you are interested in but there is parking on the south side of State Road 603 where the trail crosses. You can then hike SB up past Old Orchard Shelter and do a loop hike on the AT through Greyson Highlands to Mount Rogers and back on the blue blaze Pine Mountain Trail which used to be the AT. You hit Fat Man Squeeze which is a cave/tunnel and see lots of ponies. Beautiful hike.
Kneegrinder

How many miles would that be?

Kneegrinder
04-08-2009, 22:20
I cant find my maps right now but 603 hits the AT maybe 20 miles north out of Damascus.
The loop through Greyson Highlands to Mt Rogers (no view at the top) and back on blue blazes is maybe 18 miles but and there are a number of trails around that can make up other loops of up to 30 miles.

Tennessee Viking
04-09-2009, 00:12
For the main ones, there are:

Summit Cut (US 58)
VA 859 Creek Junction Station
Bear Tree Gap (pulloff or forest road directly across from the campground road)
Taylors Valley (use the Creeper trail for initial approach)
Straight Branch (U.S. 58)

Elk Gardens and Graysons are a bit further. But worth the drive.

Most area outfitters will have Mt Roger, AT, and Nat Geo maps

Rambler
04-12-2009, 12:54
Many of those parking areas north of Damascus to Mt. Rogers have posted warnings about vandalism to cars. Even the locals warn about overnight parking. One person even had their car stolen. Check with people at Mt Rogers Outfitters 276-475-5416. Park in Damascus, shuttle to trailheads. I parked in Damascus and used my bike. Great downhill rides!