PDA

View Full Version : Starting April 15th - Sleeping Bag Temp?

spatman
03-18-2009, 12:40
The title pretty much says it. I had settled on a 15* 2lbs. bag that I was going to use the entire trail. Because of the light weight I wasn't worried about it being overkill in the middle months.

It doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get the bag I wanted, so now I'm looking at heavier options. Most 15* bags I can afford are more like 3lbs. and too heavy to carry the entire time. Now I'm wondering if I can get away with a 25* or 30* bag. I'll be using a tent and have a Prolite 4 Regular. I don't sleep very soundly, so was going lux on my sleep system. I might switch out the pad mid way.

Looking at weather forecasts it doesn't seem to be getting that cold at night, but I'm worried I reading wrong/missing something. I'm not looking for specific sleeping bag recommendations. I'm more interested in what temp people think I should take. I think I'm an average temp sleeper (not a hot sleeper, not a cold sleeper).

Opinions? Experience starting this late?

FatMan
03-18-2009, 13:14
I can't speak for further north, but you will be fine here in GA with a 25 degree bag with an April 15 start.

Ox97GaMe
03-18-2009, 13:35
If you have additional clothes or a liner that you can use in addition to the 30 degree bag, you will be fine. Temps in GA wont be your worry. The issue will be from Franklin NC to Damascus VA, especially the Smokies and around Roan Mtn. These areas have been known to get a late winter storm with temps down to single digits. It may not happen for you, but it could. Worst case scenario, you might have a handful of days like that. Therefore you should be prepared should that become the case. If you are hiking in those conditions, you will want to get into your sleeping bag when you get to camp, and thaw out a bit. There are many options to accomodate that.

If you dont sleep well when you are cold, then I would strongly recommend that you go with the warmer bag. Rest on the trail is essential. There will be plenty of restless sleep nights due to sore muscles.

Blissful
03-18-2009, 13:49
25 degree OK but you should carry a liner for sure.

MileMonster
03-18-2009, 14:03
Prolly be fine. Some evenings will likely be chilly, but you can put on all your layers. On my thru I had some chilly nights in the Smokies and on Roan, but I started March 9. Not a coincidence that these are the highest elevations in the south. You'll likely not make it to the Smokies until almost May, though. All else was fine. If you are a cold sleeper and you hit a seriously cold spell you might wind up spending that money you didn't spend on on a bag zeroing somewhere. I'd guess that a snap too cold for a 25 degree bag after mid April would be the exception, not the rule, though. Anyway, tough conditions, including shivering all night, is part of the fun isn't it? LOL.

- MM.

stranger
03-18-2009, 22:10
We had snow and ice in Georgia and NC last year in mid-late April, I heard in snowed in the Smokies in early May as well, but I was further north. I would say 25 minimum

Egads
03-18-2009, 22:50
You will probably live to tell about how you froze your tail

garlic08
03-19-2009, 01:23
Mid-April last year was 15 degrees in the Smokies, then two weeks later it was in the teens again on Mt Rogers. Those were higher elevations and you'll be mostly lower to start, I think, but I'm sure glad I had my 15 bag in April and into May.

If you go with a higher rated bag, pay attention to weather and stay in town if the cold stuff is forecast. And you'll soon learn what your bag is really good for.

daddytwosticks
03-19-2009, 07:39
I'm a section hiker. I have the ability to pick and choose the times I'm out on the trail. If I were to do a thru hike, I'd make sure to bring the properly rated bag for the worst expected conditions. Seems like taking a couple of zero days to stay out of the weather would cost more overall than paying for the right bag from the get-go. Just sayin'...:)

Hiker Chris
03-24-2009, 13:41
I'm starting April 24th with the ss downhugger #3 30 degree bag, i'm figuring i should be mostly confortable with my later start date, obviously anything can happen though... thoughts?

saimyoji
03-24-2009, 19:29
when it gets real cold, sleep in your tent....it'll be warmer than in the shelter. the campmor 20* down bag is very popular: 2lbs 4oz and 120.00

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

Wags
03-25-2009, 11:44
this may sound weird, but you can start wearing less clothes during the course of the day, conditioning your body to colder temps. for instance, instead of wearing a long sleeve T just wear a t shirt. your body will start to accommodate the colder air and should help you when you face colder temps. i'm not suggesting that you wear a t shirt in a snow storm - just that you wear a little less than you normally do. this works

Tenderheart
03-25-2009, 12:55
I started on April 19 in 2000. My bag was a Cascade Designs Synergy 3/4, which is no longer made. I wore a Patagonia Fireball jacket, balaclava, and socks for mittens. I slept in shelters and tarped. Being cold was never really a problem. On the coldest nights, if you're not wearing all of your clothes in your bag, then you have too many clothes. That includes your rain shell. By the way, sleeping on your stomach is the warmest position. I feel that your starting date is right on the mark for an enjoyable trip, and a 30 or 40 degree bag will be fine.

litefoot 2000

BobTheBuilder
04-03-2009, 21:11
I think the bad news is that there is no way to know until you try. I'm a cold sleeper and it drives me nuts. I carry a zero degree bag anytime except summer because I can't sleep when I'm a little chilly, and I also don't sleep too well covered in layers of clothes. Others are fine with alot less, but if you don't get your sleep tonight, it is a really lousy day tomorrow. Sorry about the downer.

Jester2000
04-03-2009, 21:24
I would worry less about what the weather will be like when you start and more about what it will be like when you finish. If you plan on doing it in four months you'll be fine. On the other hand, I think it might be a mistake to plan on being in Maine in the middle of October (or in the Whites in September) in a 30 degree bag. I would go with a 20 degree bag and suffer the extra weight.

Jester

ASUGrad
04-06-2009, 10:18
A 25 bag and a sheet. You can sleep on top of the 25 bag when it gets warm and cover with the sheet or use the sheet as a liner.

It can get cold at night in old Virginny in late June.

Jim Adams
04-06-2009, 10:59
If you want to be comfortable, 20* minimum until after the Grayson Highlands.

geek