PDA

View Full Version : So will we ever get a straight answer?

wrongway_08
03-18-2009, 15:47
1)Why is it that people who are banned, who try to post comments get a message that says something like "your post will not be visible until a moderator approves it" when they almost NEVER approve it?

2)Why is it, if the there is no problem with overly happy fingers hitting the "banned" button at any moment for anything, is there a supposive backlog of request for the bans to be lifted?

3)Why is it that when there is a known problem with 'gator being overly power happy about his "banning powers" - that he is not put in time out so we dont loose valued members for no reason besides banning blindness?

Anyways, I figured this will get a response of:

It is written in rule 334.556.66 section 8 of the WB codes - "no member has the right to question mods here, even when there is a legit concern."

Hopefully not because I'm just tryn to get answers for legit concerns.

Place your oders for my "banned" shirts, while I can still respond.... :D

Darwin again
03-18-2009, 15:54
That's not being banned.
That's called being moderated.

wrongway_08
03-18-2009, 15:55
One last one, why is it when talking to other members that have been screwed over and are tryn to get help, do I get blocked from being allowed to pm them.... totally crap face manuvers.

you know who you are (member I'm try'n to contact), contact me through my e-mail [email protected]. Thanks :)

Being that I dont know how much longer I'll last here. Good thing I have other "secret" names to sign in under...... just have to keep my head low on those names :).

Darwin again
03-18-2009, 15:56
BTW, that's a really stupid thing you're doing with the snake in the picture.
(Unless you're a professional serpent wrangler of some kind. In that case, never mind.)

buff_jeff
03-18-2009, 15:56
Good thing I have other "secret" names to sign in under...... just have to keep my head low on those names :).

They probably ban your IP address

wrongway_08
03-18-2009, 15:58
BTW, that's a really stupid thing you're doing with the snake in the picture.
(Unless you're a professional serpent wrangler of some kind. In that case, never mind.)

Yes, yes I am.... been doing this crap since I was barely able to walk.

wrongway_08
03-18-2009, 15:59

Not the same computer/service.... gotta be smart about things :)

mister krabs
03-18-2009, 16:01

That gets tricky, most people have dynamic IP addresses taken from an ISP's IP pool. Ban one, and you could have a problem with everyone on that ISP.

The Weasel
03-18-2009, 16:02
That's not being banned.
That's called being moderated.

When you're "moderated" and the moderator "forgets" to review your post, it's "being banned."

The Weasel

Yukon

Very easy to get around though...

Darwin again
It's still really stupid.

kanga
03-18-2009, 16:12
thank you, ma'am

Darwin again
03-18-2009, 16:22
thank you, ma'am

OK. Very funny. My bad, you loon.
You're pretty hot, even if you're a guy, btw.

kanga
03-18-2009, 16:24
OK. Very funny. My bad, you loon.
You're pretty hot, even if you're a guy, btw.
that's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

wrongway_08
03-18-2009, 16:28
I'm pulling a Gator..... DARWIN AGAIN, your not allowed to post on this thread, just cause i feel its the right thing to do. I'll let you know when your cerfew is up..... unless I decide not to....... mayabe..... maybe not.....:-? ..... Your not banned, you just cant post till I say so.

Dont even think about it or I'll take away your ability to talk to others on here......:-?..... just a little moderation going on........ RIGHT Darwin?

Oh damn it, we'll never know what you think....... cause I am not allowing you to speak your mind (not banning you). I'll speak it for you:
Darwin Again:
"Wrongway, your right, i'm a fool. Why do I ever question you - your allways right."

See Darwin, that wasnt so hard to say, was it?

buzzamania
03-18-2009, 17:31
Why do people spend so much time talking about talking. . . how bout a little hiking and AT majic. Just don't be a douche bag and all will go well.

Lone Wolf
03-18-2009, 17:36
Why do people spend so much time talking about talking. . . how bout a little hiking and AT majic. Just don't be a douche bag and all will go well.

what's AT majic?

ColdFire
03-18-2009, 17:38

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And can you people please stop with the drama threads? really no one cares so get over yourselves already.

Marta
03-18-2009, 17:56
Let's see now...what is the average moderator salary?

Zero would be the correct answer.

What's the min/max administrator salary?

Again, zero would be the correct answer.

"Thankless task." What's the question?

"What is being a Whiteblaze moderator?"

"Really, really time-consuming, thankless task."

"Being a Whiteblaze administrator."

And yet somehow you're expected to sit around waiting for people who have proven that the route from balls to keyboard does not pass through their brains to post further stupidity, without making them wait? Boohoo.

SteveJ
03-18-2009, 17:59
what she said.....

Fiddleback
03-18-2009, 18:22
OT...cause it doesn't answer the OP question.

My visitation in various sub-forums has changed since Doomsday when the political forums were closed for a while. That change skews my experience a bit but I hold this opinion...

I think the Moderators (and their moderation) is better now. I support what I've seen done. I like the 'trend'...

FB

warraghiyagey
03-18-2009, 18:24
Sooooo. . . by that logic, the fact that the efforts are voluntary and not paid is that - however they do it is fine and beyond questioning??

rcli4
03-18-2009, 18:40
My daughter has a web site that pertains to a television program. I understand that you can find out how many post any given site has and their ranking. Hers has 4 to5 times more hits then this one. There is 3 people that moderate at different time. Mostly they deletete sexual statement about cast members. Most of the moderating on this site seems to be about moderating. Folks fussing about being moderated and moderators deleteing and putting them in detention. Seems like a visious cycle. The problem is not internet it is this site and the selection process of moderators. One should really question why anyone would want the job. It may be that those who should be mods, don't wanna be and those that wanna be, shouldn't be.

Lone Wolf
03-18-2009, 18:42
My daughter has a web site that pertains to a television program. I understand that you can find out how many post any given site has and their ranking. Hers has 4 to5 times more hits then this one. There is 3 people that moderate at different time. Mostly they deletete sexual statement about cast members. Most of the moderating on this site seems to be about moderating. Folks fussing about being moderated and moderators deleteing and putting them in detention. Seems like a visious cycle. The problem is not internet it is this site and the selection process of moderators. One should really question why anyone would want the job. It may be that those who should be mods, don't wanna be and those that wanna be, shouldn't be.

kinda like maintainers bitchin' over and over about cleanin' fire pits and shelters

ed bell
03-18-2009, 18:44
Sooooo. . . by that logic, the fact that the efforts are voluntary and not paid is that - however they do it is fine and beyond questioning??I'm pretty sure that's not what Marta said. She's talking about people on moderated status having to wait for posts to be approved and complaining about it. Anything a moderator or administrator does can be questioned and mistakes are made. How someone questions an action by a moderator or administrator is usually more important than the issue at hand. Calling out a moderator or administrator in the open forum is against the TOS. That is not always enforced because each situation is different. I'd be willing to answer more when I get home.

ed bell
03-18-2009, 18:47
kinda like maintainers bitchin' over and over about cleanin' fire pits and sheltersFor the record, I'm just answering questions. I love everyone, too.:)

Marta
03-18-2009, 18:47
Sooooo. . . by that logic, the fact that the efforts are voluntary and not paid is that - however they do it is fine and beyond questioning??

Not at all. However, expecting that the moderator of a particular forum, who is necessarily doing the job in his/her spare time, be sitting at the screen 24/7 to approve posts made by people who have already showed themselves one or more times to be unable to moderate themselves, is unreasonable.

In case you don't realize the fine points of the system, moderators have one of two forums that they have the ability to edit. If you are on moderated status and post something in the "Dogs on the AT" forum, I won't see it because I'm not a moderator of that forum.

The special few--that admins and supermods--can edit all forums. Expecting any single human being to read and keep on top of every single post made to Whiteblaze....the mind boggles just contemplating it. It would be like being the sole air traffic controller in New York City.

The Weasel
03-18-2009, 18:57
I'm pretty sure that's not what Marta said. She's talking about people on moderated status having to wait for posts to be approved and complaining about it. Anything a moderator or administrator does can be questioned and mistakes are made. How someone questions an action by a moderator or administrator is usually more important than the issue at hand. Calling out a moderator or administrator in the open forum is against the TOS. That is not always enforced because each situation is different. I'd be willing to answer more when I get home.

Ed:

Let me ask you four questions (and no, I'm not trying to trap you):

1) If a person is put on moderated status, and then does posts (which can't be posted finally until the moderator has reviewed them) and then those posts are "forgotten" or "overlooked", has a mistake been made?

2) Is it a violation of TOS to disagree (not "call out") with a moderator privately, i.e. by Private Message?

3) Is it a violation of TOS to strongly disagree - or even "call out" - a moderator in a forum they are not the moderator of, for their statements made in that forum (i.e. the one they don't moderate)?

4) If a person feels that a moderator has made a serious error, is there any method to have another moderator or administrator take a look at what happened, in order to prevent serious mistakes or abuses?

I ask these because I think they are the essence of the concerns here, and it would be helpful to many of us if someone knowledgeable answered them. I know you may not be "authoritative" on them, but I think you're well aware of how things work and you're a sober and honest voice in such things.

Thank you.

The Weasel

Tin Man
03-18-2009, 19:08
Good Lord :rolleyes:

wrongway_08
03-18-2009, 19:14
All I wanted was for my original post to be answered and maybe somebody toss the Gator back in the swamp to cool off for a while.

Kirby
03-18-2009, 19:14
Might be time for everyone to step outside and realize how silly this thread is.

Fresh air never hurt anyone.

wrongway_08
03-18-2009, 19:17
Kirby, dont you have some Senators to talk to or something? Just kidding - good to see you on here! Hope everythings been good for you after the hike! Had fun hiking with you for that little bit - before you took off at that marathon pace!! :)

Kirby
03-18-2009, 19:21
Kirby, dont you have some Senators to talk to or something? Just kidding - good to see you on here! Hope everythings been good for you after the hike! Had fun hiking with you for that little bit - before you took off at that marathon pace!! :)

Hahaha, was on cruise control from Damascus north.

Homer&Marje
03-18-2009, 19:33
kinda like maintainers bitchin' over and over about cleanin' fire pits and shelters

That's the smartest thing you've ever said. At least that I've read. I agree with Lone Wolf.

Theres the rare few times that we agree but this is one. There goes the theory that it's GREAT minds that think alike:rolleyes:

wrongway_08
03-18-2009, 19:38
Hahaha, was on cruise control from Damascus north.

Kept up with you a little through the journals but then you got so far ahead...... :D.

Any chance you can make the parade of fools trip? April 4th and 5th?

ed bell
03-18-2009, 19:49
1)Why is it that people who are banned, who try to post comments get a message that says something like "your post will not be visible until a moderator approves it" when they almost NEVER approve it?

2)Why is it, if the there is no problem with overly happy fingers hitting the "banned" button at any moment for anything, is there a supposive backlog of request for the bans to be lifted?

3)Why is it that when there is a known problem with 'gator being overly power happy about his "banning powers" - that he is not put in time out so we dont loose valued members for no reason besides banning blindness?

Anyways, I figured this will get a response of:

It is written in rule 334.556.66 section 8 of the WB codes - "no member has the right to question mods here, even when there is a legit concern."

Hopefully not because I'm just tryn to get answers for legit concerns.

Place your oders for my "banned" shirts, while I can still respond.... :D

All I wanted was for my original post to be answered and maybe somebody toss the Gator back in the swamp to cool off for a while.Ok, I've got some time to kill now.

1) Banned users cannot post. Moderated users must have posts approved before they can be seen. As to your question : "Why is it that people who are "banned" (you mean "in moderated status"), who try to post comments get a message that says something like "your post will not be visible until a moderator approves it" when they almost NEVER approve it?" I can't answer for other moderators or administrators, but I have no pending moderated posts to approve in my most popular forum. I get to them as I see them and I can only check every so often. To be honest, I hardly ever see any. It is a rare occurrence. On top of that, I have only left one post unapproved that I can remember.

2) I'm going to be honest, I have no idea what you are asking. I will say that you are using the word "banned" when I think you mean "moderated". I can't tell you about moderated users, but it's safe to say that there are far less of them than your wording indicates.

3)This is going to sound evasive, but all I can say is what I said in another thread: "A very important point to consider if anyone out there thinks that any moderator or administrator is consistently handling problems in an unfair manner: There are many variables that come into play with any decisions made about TOS violations and how they are handled." I'll add that administrators and moderators discuss the issues that come up.

Kirby
03-18-2009, 19:55
Kept up with you a little through the journals but then you got so far ahead...... :D.

Any chance you can make the parade of fools trip? April 4th and 5th?

Doubtful, thanks for the invitation though.

I got my eyes set on finishing the LT in late July, your welcome to join me on that if you would like.

ed bell
03-18-2009, 19:56
One last one, why is it when talking to other members that have been screwed over and are tryn to get help, do I get blocked from being allowed to pm them.... totally crap face manuvers.

you know who you are (member I'm try'n to contact), contact me through my e-mail [email protected]. Thanks :)

Being that I dont know how much longer I'll last here. Good thing I have other "secret" names to sign in under...... just have to keep my head low on those names :).

Two things here:

As far as I know, PM's are not affected by simple moderated status. If you have a problem PMing a member here, contact an administrator to find out what the problem is.

Also, use of "sock puppets" can be considered a reason for being banned from membership.

Kirby
03-18-2009, 19:57
Only admins can read PM's, I believe.

traildust
03-18-2009, 20:06
This is the kind of forum that possibly drives people off Whiteblaze. Then some would say so what, don't read it. Blah, blah. Just because we have to right to "free speech" doesn't mean we need to exercise it all the time.

Slo-go'en
03-18-2009, 20:22
Of course, if everyone simply stayed on topic and simply asked and answered questions about the AT or hiking in general, there would be no need for banning, closing posts or much moderation.

It is when posts involve personal or emotional problems, questions of religous faith or the lack there of, purely subjective opinions and other such nonsense that things become dicy. But then, without these, this site would be a lot less entertaining!

wrongway_08
03-18-2009, 20:25
Thanks for the answers.

I read over question 2, I screwed something up in the wording.

ed bell
03-18-2009, 20:27
Ed:

Let me ask you four questions (and no, I'm not trying to trap you):

1) If a person is put on moderated status, and then does posts (which can't be posted finally until the moderator has reviewed them) and then those posts are "forgotten" or "overlooked", has a mistake been made?

2) Is it a violation of TOS to disagree (not "call out") with a moderator privately, i.e. by Private Message?

3) Is it a violation of TOS to strongly disagree - or even "call out" - a moderator in a forum they are not the moderator of, for their statements made in that forum (i.e. the one they don't moderate)?

4) If a person feels that a moderator has made a serious error, is there any method to have another moderator or administrator take a look at what happened, in order to prevent serious mistakes or abuses?

I ask these because I think they are the essence of the concerns here, and it would be helpful to many of us if someone knowledgeable answered them. I know you may not be "authoritative" on them, but I think you're well aware of how things work and you're a sober and honest voice in such things.

Thank you.

The WeaselOK, I'll play.

1) Impossible to say without knowing the content of the post, whether someone was notified after a reasonable amount of time and the intent of the applicable moderators and/or administrators.

2) Impossible to say without knowing past history, content of PM's sent and how many people were involved. I don't want more information here. I'm just highlighting the fact that your question is not a simple yes or no question.

3) I like to be treated as just another member all the time, but there are times when moderators will add comments in other forums to "help out" if things get out of control and there is limited coverage. I don't think that is what you are driving at, but if you have a problem with a moderator in regular posts/forums outside of someone's moderation coverage area then the moderator of that area or an administrator needs to be contacted.

4) If someone thinks a moderator has made a serious error then an administrator should be notified. Having said that, I can't imagine what a "serious" error could possibly be. This an AT message board where folks communicate, ask questions, agree, disagree, keep up with one another and what-not. It can't be that serious.

ed bell
03-18-2009, 20:29
Only admins can read PM's, I believe.Absolutely not. Private messages are 100% private. No ifs ands or buts.

TJ aka Teej
03-18-2009, 20:31
This site has a user agreement.
It would be more enjoyable if users followed what they agreed to.
http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=agreement

4eyedbuzzard
03-18-2009, 20:34
Questions were answered. Closed.

How about we all talk about something else?

Maybe.........Hiking?