PDA

View Full Version : Airports near Katahdin?

buff_jeff
03-18-2009, 20:11
What is the closest airport to Katahdin?

Thanks in advance!

TJ aka Teej
03-18-2009, 20:13
Bangor. But you want to fly into Portland.
See the on-line version of the ATC's ALDHA Thru-Hikers' Companion at
www.aldha.org
for more info.

Kirby
03-18-2009, 20:14
From Portland, take a bus to Bangor. From Bangor, you may need to get shuttled to Millinocket, not sure if there's a bus from Bangor to Medway, there is one from Medway to Bangor.

If you end up in Medway, have the AT Hiker Hostel pick you up, they can take to to Katahdin.

buff_jeff
03-18-2009, 20:21
Is it relatively easy to get from Baxter to Bangor? I'm going to have to summit and get off trail and back home pretty quickly.

Slo-go'en
03-18-2009, 20:34
There is no easy or quick way from Baxter to Bangor. There is no public transportation which will even get you close. Kirby's path (in reverse) is likely the best one.

Montana
03-19-2009, 14:45
I personally found hitching with rather easy, those Mainiacs are some of the best people on Earth.

Hare

Doc
03-19-2009, 14:52
I agree, but I might be biased.

buff_jeff
03-19-2009, 17:19
Thanks for the advice, guys.

putts
03-19-2009, 18:13
I took the Cyr bus from Bangor to Medway. Before I could get to the side of the road from the bus a guy pulled up and offered me a ride into Millinocket. He was an older man and said most days he waits for the bus to pull up so he can offer hikers a ride in. Enjoys the company.

The next morining I had just finished my breakfast and hadn't walked more than 100 yrds from the AT Cafe when a Couple pulled over and yelled out "Are you going to Katahdin?"..."Well come on! We'll give you a ride!"

Not saying this happens to everybody but I would think Medway to Katahdin or K to M is one of the easiest hitches on the trail.

The folks at the AT Lodge/Cafe are also very friendly and do shuttles from what I understand.

You can take the bus from Medway to the Airport Mall in Bangor and walk across the street to the airport.

You could also PM a Bangor area resident who spends a lot of time in Millinockett and see if you might catch a ride;)

McKeever
03-19-2009, 22:24
Manchester Center Airport. Somewhat of a drive to/from K but cheap flights may be avail.

Shutterbug
03-19-2009, 23:20
What is the closest airport to Katahdin?

Thanks in advance!

My information is three years old, but three years ago the Minutemen Taxi served Baxter. They will pick you up at Baxter and take you to Bangor or even to Portland.

The Minutemen Taxi is located at 70 Spruce St Millinocket, ME. Phone: 207-723-2000.

Wrangler88
03-19-2009, 23:31
I'm flying into portland.

Got greyhound ticket from Portland to Medway with a conection in Bangor.

Then I've got reservations with the AT Lodge. They'll pick you up in Medway. All I hear is good things about them. They'll get you to Baxter.

Hope everything works out.

Kirby
03-20-2009, 12:56
I'm flying into portland.

Got greyhound ticket from Portland to Medway with a conection in Bangor.

Then I've got reservations with the AT Lodge. They'll pick you up in Medway. All I hear is good things about them. They'll get you to Baxter.

Hope everything works out.

You'll love them.

What's great is they know how to handle NOBO's just coming off the trail. I've discovered a lot of hikers aren't interested in talking about their hike right when they get off the trail. The fine people at the AT Lodge did not probe me about my hike, which was great.

They have a great facility, and their flexible. When I went to pay for my stay, the entire town had no electrcity, and I only had a debit card with me(which they accept with electricity). Not only did they allow me to send them money when I got home later that day(I live in Portland), they also loaned me money for my bus ticket from Medway to Bangor because there was no electricity in Medway, so I couldn't pay with my debit card.

Simply great people, don't forget to hit the AT Cafe.

TJ aka Teej
03-20-2009, 13:19
Simply great people, don't forget to hit the AT Cafe.
And be sure to sit at the counter! :D

Kirby
03-20-2009, 17:14
And be sure to sit at the counter! :D

I'm clearly missing something. Never sat at the counter.

wcgornto
03-20-2009, 17:37
Bangor. But you want to fly into Portland.
See the on-line version of the ATC's ALDHA Thru-Hikers' Companion at
www.aldha.org (http://www.aldha.org)
for more info.

I know that flights to Portland tend to be a bit cheaper than Bangor. But then, the ride to Millinocket is longer. Other than price, what is the benefit of flying to Portland over Bangor?

Brodels
03-20-2009, 21:24
Sometimes Bangor is reasonable, sometimes it isn't. It's certainly worth checking.

I'm going to China in a couple of weeks, and I thought for sure that I'd need to make the five-hour drive to Portland. But the price from Bangor was exactly the same, and it's only a three-hour drive for me.

The cheapest option may sometimes be to take the bus from Bangor directly to Logan Airport in Boston. The bus ride is a little longer, but depending on your destination, this may also be the most convenient option.

I know that flights to Portland tend to be a bit cheaper than Bangor. But then, the ride to Millinocket is longer. Other than price, what is the benefit of flying to Portland over Bangor?

buff_jeff
03-20-2009, 21:32
Once again, thanks for all the advice, guys. I have Army cadidiot training June 22, so I need to summit and get the hell out ASAP. Hopefully, I'll be able to get my slot swapped to July 4, but I think Bangor is probably my best bet as of right now.