PDA

View Full Version : Good place to access trail, nearest to Greenville, SC

SCMarch1
03-18-2009, 23:10
Can anyone recommend a good place to access the trail for a day trip near Greenville, SC (relatively near--I know that Greenville is two-odd hours from the trail). Hot Springs? South of Hot Springs? I'd like to have somewhere to park and get to the trail for a day's hike, then back to the car. Just to get a taste.

Egads
03-18-2009, 23:15
Davenport Gap is the NE side of GSMNP where the trail crosses I-40

I'd consider the Foothills Trail or the Bartram Trail which are much closer to you

Tennessee Viking
03-18-2009, 23:56
Can anyone recommend a good place to access the trail for a day trip near Greenville, SC (relatively near--I know that Greenville is two-odd hours from the trail). Hot Springs? South of Hot Springs? I'd like to have somewhere to park and get to the trail for a day's hike, then back to the car. Just to get a taste.
Don't forget that near Greenville is the Foothills Trail and the state parks. I love Caesars Head and Jones Gap.

But for the AT near Greenville. You have around Dicks Creek Gap in GA, the Franklin area (Deep Gap, Winding Stair Gap, Wallace Gap) in NC. I 40 area sections Davenport Gap & Max Patch.

Sams Gap at old US23/I26 is also a good day hike.

Art Loeb Trail is just over the state line beginning at Brevard. Then the MST trail parallels a large section of the BRP.

ranfreem
03-19-2009, 22:10
fyi: Sam's Gap is also a possibility

Summit
03-19-2009, 22:30
The closest access mileage wise from Greenville, as Tennessee Viking already said, is to go west to US-178, N to US-64, W to Franklin (stop into Budget Inn and get some tips or make a nice day hike shuttle arrangement with Ron Haven, a WB member), or keep on 64 to Winding Stair Gap at the crest of 64's climb out of Franklin.

sbennett
03-20-2009, 00:20
Franklin might be the closest mileage wise but it takes FOREVER to get there on 64. It's a two-lane mountain road, windy all the way, and consistently clogged with people visiting the mountains. Plus, once you get to Franklin, you still have to get to Winding Stair or Wallace Gap after that. I think the quickest, or perhaps the least frustrating, way to get to the AT is to take US-25 to I-26 until you get to Sam's Gap; should be a bit over two hours or so. Davenport Gap or the crossing at I-40 will likely be a similar commute.

FatMan
03-20-2009, 08:09
Forget the AT. As others have said you live very close to one of the best trails in the country. Get out and hike the Foothills Trail and enjoy the beauty. The AT is great for long distance hiking, but the FT is just as tough and much more beautiful. Get out to the Escarpment Gorges, or over by the Chattooga River. The hiking is magnificent.

Mountain Maiden
03-20-2009, 08:31
Yep, having lived in both places (SC and Hot Spgs), the FHT is a fantastic option, and Jones Gap, Caesars head, as well. Pisgah Forest (Brevard ) has many trails and is easily accessible.

But--if you must 'get a taste' of the AT, as I did, Hot Springs is your answer. It is 2 hrs from G'ville and has the easiest and most direct access of the AT you'll find. Perfect for a day hike of the AT. Oh yeah, and you can take a soak in the hot tubs when your hike is over! Your body will say "Thank You!," LOL.

The other options are good, too but you will spend most of your day traveling. Logistics are harder, too.

And, yes, by ALL means--STAY OFF HWY 64!! LOL--it can be a beautiful drive but takes FOREVERRRRRRRRRRRR!! :(

Have a great hike!
S:sun

SCMarch1
03-20-2009, 10:44
Thanks for the great tips, guys. I didn't know about the Foothills Trail or anything, because I don't actually live in Greenville, but I have family there. That's why I thought it would be a good place to drive up from Beaufort, SC to access the AT. The Foothills sounds and look pretty great now, though.

Beaufort and the surrounding Lowcountry have great nature trails and walking trails, but obviously not a lot of uphill stuff. I joke that the biggest hill I knew growing up was where they graded the driveway sort of steep.

Summit
03-20-2009, 10:45
Forget the AT. As others have said you live very close to one of the best trails in the country. Get out and hike the Foothills Trail and enjoy the beauty. The AT is great for long distance hiking, but the FT is just as tough and much more beautiful. Get out to the Escarpment Gorges, or over by the Chattooga River. The hiking is magnificent.I agree, having done the entire FHT a year ago next month. You won't find as much beauty and diversity in any 75 mile stretch of the AT. And ohhhhhh, the waterfalls . . . so many awesome ones in such a compact stretch of trail. Laurel Fork Falls campsite is a must! One of the sweetest spots to camp I've ever experienced, and I've hiked about 1/3 of the AT, Colorado, 300 miles of the PCT, Banff & Jasper NPs in Canada, Denali and Kenai NPs - Alaska, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italian Alps.

Summit
03-20-2009, 10:48
I joke that the biggest hill I knew growing up was where they graded the driveway sort of steep.I grew up in N. Florida and the biggest hills (outside of the Tallahassee area) are ant beds! Granted there are some large ant beds! :eek:

Tennessee Viking
03-20-2009, 12:44
Thanks for the great tips, guys. I didn't know about the Foothills Trail or anything, because I don't actually live in Greenville, but I have family there. That's why I thought it would be a good place to drive up from Beaufort, SC to access the AT. The Foothills sounds and look pretty great now, though.

Beaufort and the surrounding Lowcountry have great nature trails and walking trails, but obviously not a lot of uphill stuff. I joke that the biggest hill I knew growing up was where they graded the driveway sort of steep.
If you take US25 from Greenville toward Asheville, go west on SC11 (Cherokee Foothills Parkway. And there a string of state parks along that road. The official Foothills Trail starts at Table Rock State Park, but Jones Gap & Caesar Head have a number of interconnecting trails. Haven't done it myself, but its supposed to be waterfall heaven.

EvilCapitalist
03-22-2009, 10:06
If you want a taste of the trail - the quickest and closest place is Dick's Creek Gap - I believe that is what it is called on US 76, west of Clayton, GA. Take US 123 out of Greenville and run it to Clempsun, and get on US 76 and run that to Clayton, GA and keep going west. There is a parking area on the right, but that isn't the trail. It's the next parking area after that ... you'll see the sign for the AT.

This is a great place to get a taste for the trail. You're 5 miles from plumorchard gap shelter. When you start, it's like straight up hill for 3 and 1/2 miles, and then 1 and 1/2 miles downhill to the shelter. There is a water source there too. The next morning, you hike the 1 and 1/2 miles up hill and then it's all down hill back to your car. A great overnight trip. You'll be back home before dark the next day.