PDA

View Full Version : Technology...

The Phoenix
03-19-2009, 12:07
I am a young guy and have grown up with an abundent amount of technology. I don't want to ruin my trail experience bringing out a bunch of crap. What is needed? A cell phone (y/n)? Is a steripen legit? Or should I go old fashion with the pills or a pump? I figured a steripen is better than a pump cause it is lighter. I think I will almost certainly bring a camera (any suggestions on what type)? And lastly how do you access the internet while doing the trail? Clearly you can't when your out and about... but do most towns have access? Is there a fee? I want a good genuine trail experience... I'd prefer to roughin it over a beach vacation.

Thanks for all the help and God Bless

4eyedbuzzard
03-19-2009, 12:21
I wouldn't worry over "an abundance of technology"--unless you're going to carry an animal skin pack on a wooden frame. Virtually everything in you pack and on your person is the product of technology--from Aluminum, Titanium, and Nylon materials to the way even "natural" products like wool are woven and your food is processed and packaged.

You don't need a camera, but I wouldn't think of going on any reasonable length hike without one. For some a cell phone is necessary due to family, business, etc. Other's don't need to be as connected. Some like the steripen, others like filters, others like chemicals. They accomplish the same objective.

Go with what you find comfortable.

hopefulhiker
03-19-2009, 12:21
I used Aqua Mira because it was light weight. I also used a cheap digital camera that used AAA batteries. I had a device called "Pocketmail" although I am not sure people use these anymore.. No cell phone..

Frick Frack
03-19-2009, 12:34
We took a Blackberry which has a camera/video & internet access as well as obviously being a phone. Service along the way was surprisingly good. I kept a journal on it too.

I would take the Steripen if that is what you are used to. We used a pump but most used chemicals.

Lone Wolf
03-19-2009, 12:43
I am a young guy and have grown up with an abundent amount of technology. I don't want to ruin my trail experience bringing out a bunch of crap. What is needed? A cell phone (y/n)? Is a steripen legit? Or should I go old fashion with the pills or a pump? I figured a steripen is better than a pump cause it is lighter. I think I will almost certainly bring a camera (any suggestions on what type)? And lastly how do you access the internet while doing the trail? Clearly you can't when your out and about... but do most towns have access? Is there a fee? I want a good genuine trail experience... I'd prefer to roughin it over a beach vacation.

Thanks for all the help and God Bless

go like me. no cell phone, no filter or treatment, no camera

Mags
03-19-2009, 12:44
Go with what you find comfortable.

That about sums it up. :)

If you do bring a cell phone, just treat it like you would if going to the bathroom:
Go off into the woods, do what you have to do in private, then come back to the campsite/overlook. Seems to be a nice compromise between those who wish to use a cell on a trail and those who would rather not have to deal with it.

As for internet access, many hostels offer it now and of course there are public libraries. During the height of hiker season, you may have a wait though.

Most of all? Have a blast on the AT!

(IF you want to get into the philosophical view of tech on the trail, go to this link. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/PMags-News/wb_pt1.html) It is just my opinion. :) If people want to comment on it, no problem. Since this is the straight forward forum, I do suggest we start a new thread, though. :sun)

Many Walks
03-19-2009, 12:47
We carried a cell phone for emergencies, but access was limited along the way and didn't really need it.

We started with an MSR water filter, but switched to a Steripen and loved it. Still carried a little aqua Mira as backup, but never needed it.

My Camera was a Nikon S-10. Any light digital will do fine, just plan to protect it from rain. I took 1100 pics along the way and I'm glad I did.

Internet can usually be found at hostels and town libraries. Never ran into a fee to get on, but we tried to keep it minimal.

IMO, things like GPS, radios, CD/DVD players, etc. are great at home, but can distract you from what you're probably out there for. You'll get plenty of differing viewpoints, so you have to just go with what works for you.

The trail and the hiking community provide a unique journey and for us it was better to experience that without the additional inputs of unnecessary technology.

Enjoy your hike!

Summit
03-19-2009, 12:50
At 7 oz, my WM cell phone is the biggest bang for the buck I carry. Communication when/if needed, camera, weather updates via Internet, and ebook/Bible reader - all at less weight than a paperback book. If high quality photos is important to you, a single purpose 5+ mpixiel camera may be for you. Yeah, newer cell phones boast high mpixels, but the picture quality is still sub par from cameras.

The steripen is lighter than most filters (not to mention less hassle). But water treatment or the lack thereof is a personal choice and much debated. HYOH.

You can access the Internet on enabled cell phones but the battery drain could be problematic for a longer hike. I keep my above mentioned phone completely off except to make calls and check weather every few days. Do your 'surfin' in towns at hostels or motels.

Smile
03-19-2009, 13:01
Leave your cell phone at home. :)

Summit
03-19-2009, 13:08
Leave your cell phone at home. :)Or bring it if you want and benefit from easy access to shuttle services at road crossings and staying in touch with family/friends who care about you. Pay phones, once handy for that, are becoming non-existent. Just use it per Sgt. Rock's advice and HYOH. :)

garlic08
03-19-2009, 13:09
I used to think I hiked my hike with very little modern technology until 4eyedbuzzard just burst my bubble. I used pretty high tech fabrics and materials for nearly everything. But I didn't carry any electronics or batteries except a LED lamp. You don't need electronics. They make some people feel good, and they irk the hell out of others.

I accessed email and Trailjournals.com pretty frequently using public PCs. Sometimes I went up to 10 days without, never more than that, which was tolerable for me.

willsnow
03-21-2009, 13:33
would these comps along the way have a SD slot for uploading a couple pics here and there? or would they let you plug a USB card reader? otherwise, i plan on using the 1gig micro sdcard from my phone in an adapter so i can take pics with my camera and send them with the cell phone. simply cause i know my family will like to see my along the way

Blissful
03-21-2009, 13:59
We had the following techno gear- cell phone to stay in touch with folks back home, MP3 player for evenings or days when hiking is tough, and of course, a camera.
Aqua mira works fine for water.

Internet is available in town libraries and some hostels. No problem with that.

Slo-go'en
03-21-2009, 14:29
would these comps along the way have a SD slot for uploading a couple pics here and there? or would they let you plug a USB card reader?

Finding a PC with SD slot would be hit or miss, not too many have them as standard equipment and many hostels use old PC's. Having your own USB card reader would be handy and I imagine most places would let you use it.

I carry my own PDA with WI-FI and SD slot so can transfer pictures from the camera and up load with out using someone elses PC, so long as wireless is available of course. But then I'm a techno geek. Don't carry a phone though:)

Hiking without electronics would be well, just hiking:rolleyes:

buckwheat
03-21-2009, 19:06
go like me.

Don't hike Lone Wolf's hike. (Or anyone else's.)

Hike your own hike.

If you like taking pictures, and want to have some memories, you'll want to bring a camera. If not it's dead weight. Same for a cell; they're great in an emergency, but you will often be in areas where you get no reception.

Then, there's the recharging issue for all electronics. Batteries are heavy, heavy ... but I take a cell, lightweight digital camera and GPS on my hikes (you won't need a GPS to navigate the AT itself, but they come in handy getting to and from the trail). There are solar options out there for recharging, but the AT is very shady, so you'll probably find times when batteries are just dead and your gadgets can't function.

Cheers,
Buckwheat