PDA

View Full Version : Tough Camera (from Wired)

BigToe
03-19-2009, 15:22
Olympus Stylus 1050 SW

Are you the schlemiel who's always dropping his cellphone or camera at parties? Or maybe you're the schlemazel who always gets the drink spilled on him? Either way, if you're looking for a camera to fit a clumsy or accident-prone lifestyle, the shockproof, waterproof, and cold-resistant Stylus 1050 SW can take the beating from fumbles, faceplants or full-speed crashes, and still keep clicking.
About the size and shape as a pack of smokes, the 1050 is equipped with an accelerometer letting you tinker with settings by tapping on the top and the sides. This lets you do useful stuff like turn the flash on and off with a gloved mitt or preview pictures with one hand while you fend off a tiger shark with the other.

WIRED Shockproof to 5 feet and waterproof 10 means you can bang it on the edge of the pool as you fall in with no harm done. Tap feature lets you change settings without futzing with buttons, and the camera can handle alpine frigidity with aplomb. Comes with a microSD adapter for greater media versatility.

TIRED Lens cover slides more easily than Ricky Henderson. The battery is easily inserted backwards, making you think it's dead or the camera is malfunctioning. Weak zoom and poor macro ability; this camera could use a bifocal upgrade.

$300, Olympus (http://www.olympus.com/)

Story at http://www.wired.com/gadgets/gadgetreviews/multimedia/2009/03/gallery_gadgets?slide=18&slideView=8

Too expensive for me but if any WhiteBlazers buy one, let us know how it works!

Petr
03-19-2009, 15:48
I've got the 1030SW: you lose the "tap" function but gain a sturdier external construction that can withstand 200 foot-lbs of weight in addition to the shock- and water-proofing noted above. I haven't taken mine out camping yet but it feels pretty bomb proof. If nothing else, it's fun to throw in the toilet simply because you can.

I'm not really a photography junkie, so I can't really speak intelligently about its technical merits, but it has got about 20 different custom shooting modes and the battery life is pretty good.

With the battery, charger (plugs into your standard wall outlet), and two memory cards it weighs in at 269 g (about 9.5 oz.) If you want to bring the cord along to upload pictures to a computer, add 60g (=2.1 oz).

There are two other models in that line of cameras that have 7 megapixels compared to the 10 that the above mentioned ones have, but have the benefit of being slightly lighter and less expensive.

hikingbear
03-19-2009, 16:04
I also have the 1030SW and love it. I have used it snorkeling in Maui and pics came out great!! I have brought it on some hiking trips and loved having not to worry if it rains or falls (which it did). I love the panoramic features it has. You can capture some good mountain range pics. Also the ability to shoot in video is a plus.

Petr
03-19-2009, 16:07
If you feel like you want the cord, you may think it worthwhile to invest in a short USB cord and ditch the 4ft long one that comes with the camera.

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-usb2-6in-ab.html