PDA

View Full Version : Hiking off I-70

mustang
05-25-2004, 21:03
Does anyone know what a good day hike is off I-70 in Maryland? I am headed that way to meet a friend but was hoping to get a hike in the day before. All I remember from my thru-hike is going to the biker bar but can't think of what is around there!

Lone Wolf
05-25-2004, 21:08
The biker bar (Dogpatch Tavern) is now closed. Hike north 2 miles and hang out at Annapolis Rocks for a bunch of hours.

Brushy Sage
05-26-2004, 12:02
From the trailhead parking area on U.S. 40 (at I-70), Annapolis Rock is 2.2 mi north. To the south, 3.0 mi, is Washington Monument State Park, where the people of Boonesboro, MD, built a structure in honor of George Washington (before the one in DC), that one thru hiker allegedly characterized as "what a crock."

mustang
05-26-2004, 12:07
It almost doesn't seem worth it if the dogpatch is closed...that was one of my favorite places on the trail!
Also, I too remember having the "what a crock" feeling at washington monument, so think i'll go the other direction. Does anyone know the exact exit to get off 70?

Brushy Sage
05-26-2004, 12:44
It almost doesn't seem worth it if the dogpatch is closed...that was one of my favorite places on the trail!
Also, I too remember having the "what a crock" feeling at washington monument, so think i'll go the other direction. Does anyone know the exact exit to get off 70?

Get off at the Myersville, MD, exit, which is about 10 mi west of Frederick. Go up to the center of Myersville and turn right at a sign for Rte 40. At the intersection with Rte 40, turn left, and the trailhead is at the top of the mountain (3 mi or so, parking on the left side of the highway).