PDA

View Full Version : Should I Hike This Thing Or What?

Wrangler88
03-19-2009, 23:23
I have only a few month timetable and limited funds for my SOBO starting the 30th of June. My question is, in your opinion, should I attempt to thruhike under these conditions (skipping town stops, passing scenic views, etc.) while I have a definate chance?

Or should I turn this year's hike into a monthlong section hike starting in Maine (already bought my plane ticket, bus ticket, reservations at AT Lodge) and hope that I get a better chance (hopefully a longer timetable, more money.) at backpacking the entire trail in a few years after college? The thing about that is that you never know where life may take me. I'm having a hard time considering passing up this sure shot at it now. But I also want to make sure it'll be enjoyable.

I know its my decision when it comes down to it. I just want to know what someone else thinks.

Go for it or take my time this year and hope that things work out in a few years?

Tin Man
03-19-2009, 23:28
well, you got your ticket, so take it one step at a time. too much is made of doing the entire thing in one go, so just go with flow and you can let your body and mind tell you how far.

aaronthebugbuffet
03-19-2009, 23:33
Hike until you run out of time, money or stop having fun.

emerald
03-19-2009, 23:33
You worry too much about what other people think. They're not footing the bill or putting one foot in front of your other.

Really, what I think doesn't matter. So why consider beginning a journey that lasts a lifetime rather than a journey of a lifetime. What's your hurry anyway? Knock off a section every year or two. You will look forward to your annual tradition.

Oh and don't listen to me when I say to save Maine for September or even early October. Make up your own mind!

prain4u
03-20-2009, 00:07
Overall, I agree with Tin Man. I would add...

There is no right or wrong answer to your question--and nothing says that you have to make the "final" decision today, next week, or even in June/July. That is a really great position to be in. I would give almost anything to be in a situation that is as flexible as yours. (I have a spouse, big medical bills, medical insurance requirements, military obligations and two special needs children. Those things greatly limit my own flexibility and options!)

I would recommend that you just start out walking in Maine on June 30th and keep walking South on the AT until you feel that you are "done" (either due to a lack of finances, sore feet, you have satisfied your inner reasons for hiking, or you have reached Springer Mountain). You can define for yourself what it means to be "done". (My guess is, when the day finally comes that you are REALLY done with your hike--you will know it and you will have no doubts that you are really "done" and ready to go back home).

Try to have the appropriate equipment available to do an entire thru hike (just in case you choose to keep walking after one month of hiking). However, you should also give yourself permission to stop walking after just one day (if you really believe that you are "done"). Take life as it comes--"one day at a time!"

Glebbber
03-20-2009, 00:16
Hike until you can't, or don't want to hike anymore. Hike as you please also, see what you want, skip what you dont.

Why plan a hike in the woods and stop at an invisable political barrier? Hike as if you are thru-hiking until you run out of time, money, or will. If skipping the sights is not your thing then dont skip them.

After school pick up where you left off, or do it all again.

Spirit Walker
03-20-2009, 00:22
From the way you ask the question, I think a rushed hike would not make you happy. If you want to enjoy the trail and enjoy the views, then do it. If you only make it to the Maine border - so what? Isn't it better to enjoy the miles than to just do the miles?

If you don't have time to sit at an overlook and enjoy the views, if you are pushing so hard that you come to hate the trail, if you can't go for a swim on a hot day because you have to make miles - well, what's the point?

Someday you may have the time and the funds to do a full thruhike. Right now you have the chance to enjoy a good summer in the woods - so go do it. Go as far as you can but have the best hike that you can. Then the chances are you'll come back. If you push too hard and don't enjoy yourself, what are the chances that you'll ever want to do it again?

Have fun.

emerald
03-20-2009, 00:22
It's entirely up to you, but if you skip around, it might make completing the A.T. more difficult should you decide later you wish to do so.

garlic08
03-20-2009, 00:29
The AT can be hiked in three months, but you need to be pretty goal-oriented and experience helps. Nearly every hiking day will need to be 25 miles, or a pretty constant 2 to 2.5 mile per hour walking pace. This is nearly double the average AT hiker's pace, but actually does still give you time to catch the views and enjoy the trail. The world isn't exactly whizzing by at 2.5 mph. Town stops will need to pretty efficient, with hardly any zero days. You'll also need to stay healthy.

Whether you'll want to do this, you won't know until or if you try it. Would you love to go out right now and hike 100 miles in three or four days? You'll be needing to do that often on the AT if you want to hike that kind of pace. Good luck and enjoy your trip this summer, however it works out.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 00:31
I have only a few month timetable and limited funds for my SOBO starting the 30th of June. My question is, in your opinion, should I attempt to thruhike under these conditions (skipping town stops, passing scenic views, etc.) while I have a definate chance?

Or should I turn this year's hike into a monthlong section hike starting in Maine (already bought my plane ticket, bus ticket, reservations at AT Lodge) and hope that I get a better chance (hopefully a longer timetable, more money.) at backpacking the entire trail in a few years after college? The thing about that is that you never know where life may take me. I'm having a hard time considering passing up this sure shot at it now. But I also want to make sure it'll be enjoyable.

I know its my decision when it comes down to it. I just want to know what someone else thinks.

Go for it or take my time this year and hope that things work out in a few years?
take your time and go slow. thru-hike it some other time

ncnewbierhiker
03-20-2009, 00:43
take your time and go slow. thru-hike it some other time
don't be a pussy hike it

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 00:49
don't be a pussy hike it

hmmmm :-?

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 00:52
hmmmm :-?

xactly

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 00:55
Just go 'til you feel like stopping.

Wrangler88
03-20-2009, 02:40
The AT can be hiked in three months, but you need to be pretty goal-oriented and experience helps. Nearly every hiking day will need to be 25 miles, or a pretty constant 2 to 2.5 mile per hour walking pace. This is nearly double the average AT hiker's pace, but actually does still give you time to catch the views and enjoy the trail. The world isn't exactly whizzing by at 2.5 mph. Town stops will need to pretty efficient, with hardly any zero days. You'll also need to stay healthy.

Whether you'll want to do this, you won't know until or if you try it. Would you love to go out right now and hike 100 miles in three or four days? You'll be needing to do that often on the AT if you want to hike that kind of pace. Good luck and enjoy your trip this summer, however it works out.

Garlic, thanks for the advice. I read your trailjournal before I ever noticed your posts on here. I like your style. And your posts are always helpful.

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 07:21
My .02 fly to Maine go and summit the big K, then take a bus down to wherever the tail end of the NOBO thru crowd are and hike till your broke or out of time. Unless your looking to hike alone for the entire time, not many NOBOs will be that far north and there arent many SOBOs to start off with. The 100 mile wilderness that time of year can be awesome or it can be hell, much like any part of the AT, with the exception that town isn't just 10 miles away. Hike Your Own Hike, but listen to Wolf, rushing a hike isn't ever worth missing out on all the great things you'll see and experience out on the AT>

JAK
03-20-2009, 08:49

Go for it or take my time this year and hope that things work out in a few years?I would still start wherever it was you planned on starting.
Then if you find yourself running out of time or money catch a lift to shorten the distance to where you have reservations and fill in those missed sections some other year.

Many Walks
03-20-2009, 11:24
Your choice is to hike or pass it up and always wish you hiked. I'd say start, go at a pace you like and decide along the way how far you want to go once you know what it's all about. Just know that once you hike some of it you'll be so hooked that you'll do about anything to get back out there. Wish you the best!

jersey joe
03-20-2009, 11:27
If you have a desire to thru hike, then I say give it a shot!

dloome
03-20-2009, 12:48
Limited funds and time table... Sounds like most of the people on the AT!

I agree that this is all about your own personal desire. What kind of experience do you wish to have? Young people like ourselves often WANT a more challenging experience like a fast AT hike.

So you're young, presumably healthy and could very likely do a thru hike in your short amount of time if motivated to do so. I think at this point you just need to decide what you want right now. You could thru hike the whole thing right now and save a more leisurely thru hike for later, perhaps.

I'd bet that in the end, maybe the only way to know for sure is to go there and start hiking. At least if you're out there hiking you're doing something right.

I did the AT when I was 19 in just over 100 days and wasn't on a schedule at all. Just saying it's not too hard... :-?

Summit
03-20-2009, 13:30
Some really, really good advice and ideas from all who've posted. The only thing I'll add is if you're worried about winter on the southern end, I've seen many SOBOs in NC and GA in November and December. So if your 'few months' is five, that makes for a reasonable daily mileage. You'll need to buy or get some cold weather gear sent to you around October, but based on what you divulged in your first post, I don't see any show stoppers.

Camping Dave
03-20-2009, 15:49
Go for it!

What are you gonna do, wait until you have kids and a job and a house?

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------
"Well son, the funny thing about regret is, it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done. Oh, and if you see your mom, be sure and tell her ..."

The Butthole Surfer, of the Hairway to Steven album

leeki pole
03-20-2009, 15:58
Go for it!

What are you gonna do, wait until you have kids and a job and a house?

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------
"Well son, the funny thing about regret is, it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done. Oh, and if you see your mom, be sure and tell her ..."

The Butthole Surfer, of the Hairway to Steven album
And your 401 (k) is now a 101 (k)? Do it while you can, no kids, no house, no job, no pets, sell the car, Dave is spot on. You'll make it work.

chrishowe11
03-22-2009, 12:46
go for it! you always have that 6 month break period after college where you dont have to pay back your loans, thats my plan!

hootyhoo
03-22-2009, 14:25
Future conversations can start with ''I coulda" or "I did".

Deadeye
03-22-2009, 17:14
Quit thinkin' and start walkin'

prain4u
03-22-2009, 21:12
If I were you, I'd probably attempt to do the thru hike this year.

I made some BAD choices when I was in my late teens and early 20s. I thought that I would try to be "RESPONSIBLE" --go to college, start a career, get married, have kids--THEN ONCE I WAS BETTER ESTABLISHED "and better off financially" I would start to do the "fun" things like hike the AT and/or hike across Europe.

BOY WAS I STUPID! I had the formula completely backwards! One should enjoy the fun stuff when they are still young (and financially broke)--because once someone starts being "responsible" and "settled"--they might not ever get another chance to do the fun stuff until they are in their 50's--or retired. (IF their health still permits!)

BEING A "RESPONSIBLE" ADULT CAN ALWAYS WAIT (and please don't believe anyone who tries to tell you otherwise!).

In 2009, you tell yourself "my situation will be a little bit better in 2010 or 2011--so I think I will wait until then to do my thru hike". When 2011 rolls around, you tell yourself: "I COULD hike the trail this year--but by 2013 my situation should be even better. So, I will wait just another couple years." Sooner than you think, it is the year 2039, and you are telling yourself: "Dang, I should have thru hiked the AT back in 2009! Now, I have two bad knees, a big mortgage, two kids in college--and I will loose my health insurance if I quit my job to hike the trail".

LIFE IS UNCERTAIN--EAT DESSERT FIRST!

wrongway_08
03-22-2009, 21:40
Do it! Try to start at the end that will be the hardest for you to finish section hiking. This way, if you dont get the whole thing done - you will at least get the hardest part (as far as planning/rides are concerned) over with and that will make it easier for you to complete later.

Dont keep waiting, I made a ton of reasons for not doing it year after year, finally I said, screw work and every other reason I keep making not to do it. Was the best thing I ever did!! I regreted - year after year - making all those excuses. Now that I did it, they only thing I regret, is being fool enough to put it off for so long :)

BR360
03-22-2009, 21:58
Just go out there and do SOMETHING. And have fun, dammit.:)

The termini of the AT are arbitrary, established by convention. Possibilities along the AT corridor are vast.

The person who hikes "only" 500 miles and loves every second is far, far richer than the one who hikes the whole thing just to say they "did it."

Just GO, and enjoy the journey, however far you get.

Flush2wice
03-22-2009, 23:28
Don't hike it. It's long and tough. There are bugs and rodents. It rains a lot too. Save your money. Go to Cancun instead. It's quicker and the girls are prettier.

Kanati
03-23-2009, 19:00
I'm gonna be looking for you in Maine in July. You better be out there!! I'll be NOBO'ing

George
03-23-2009, 19:22
A few months could be to Harpers Ferry a nice place to start and stop

superman
03-23-2009, 19:54
You're damn right don't hike. If he goes out there and gets his ass whooped his self esteem will crumble. It will cause the pattern of his life to be failure. If Cameron stays home he won't risk anything but a few travel tickets. If he goes to Cancun he can tell people that he was like thinking seriously about hiking the AT and they'll say "awesome" or "why."
What kind of a sane person would pay money to do something with only a 10% or 20% chance of success? I don't mean to sound negative but...:)

Gaiter
03-23-2009, 21:20

its all what you are comfortable w/..... i'd say just go and go w/ the flow... just see how far ya get, but don't be disappointed if you don't get 'all the way' the trail will always be there