PDA

View Full Version : "The Place" hostel

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 00:03
cops busted a hiker earlier at the hostel for havin' dope. they'll be watchin' the place like a hawk now. the hiker season has barely begun and already the Aholes are arriving :rolleyes: maybe the church will close it

Lugnut
03-20-2009, 00:05
A hiker with dope? That never happens! Smoke, pills or powder?

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 00:07
A hiker with dope? That never happens! Smoke, pills or powder?

marijuana

Lugnut
03-20-2009, 00:10
Another one bites the dust! You stayin' up all night again?

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 00:13
at least a couple more hours

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 00:15
How did he get busted?

Heater
03-20-2009, 00:21
How did he get busted?

**** for brains.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 00:29
How did he get busted?

not sure. i was listening to my police scanner and heard something about "hiker hostel behind church" so i drove over there and met the LEOs and they showed me the dope. these guys are new and don't know much about hikers. they'll be watching "The Place" closely now.

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 00:30
**** for brains.

Or maybe he got drunk and careless...:-?

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 00:31
not sure. i was listening to my police scanner and heard something about "hiker hostel behind church" so i drove over there and met the LEOs and they showed me the dope. these guys are new and don't know much about hikers. they'll be watching "The Place" closely now.

You're like batman:banana

ed bell
03-20-2009, 01:02
**** for brains.

Or maybe he got drunk and careless...:-? Probably, but that doesn't change anything. I'm still leaning towards **** for brains.:cool:

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 01:04
Either way, it wasn't his day ell oh ell

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 01:06
another reason to avoid hostels and shelters... don't need to be mistaken as another **** for brains

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 01:07
wonder who called it in? :-?

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 01:08
another reason to avoid hostels and shelters... don't need to be mistaken as another **** for brains

Or get snitched on

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 01:09

Maybe he called it in himself because he was dying of guilt

rcli4
03-20-2009, 01:55
Make bail and hike on

Tennessee Viking
03-20-2009, 02:08
Probably was the guys trail name...Smog for Brains, Hemp Buddy. Or somebody smelled something stronger than being out on trail for 3-4 days.

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 03:48
I always wondered about snitches that know what it smells like...

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 04:24

who cares. shouldn't have had it out in the open. no alcohol, drugs, dogs or smoking are the top 4 rules there. pretty easy to abide by. you'd think so anyway

freefall
03-20-2009, 04:53
If they don't close it, they should run it like a Hostel International hostel. Close it during the day, open around 5pm, have a caretaker, charge a fee then kick everyone out in the a.m. If they are staying a second night they can leave their packs and just take essentials with them. Keep the same rules and for the most part, all would be good.

Hooch
03-20-2009, 05:12
What an idiot. The rules there are pretty cut and dry and easy to follow, I don't see what's so difficult. If the dude don't have a trail name yet, maybe a good one for him would be "Bail Money". :D

Heater
03-20-2009, 05:32
Well... IMO, A snitch is the lowest form of scum on the earth. **** snitches.

freefall
03-20-2009, 05:43
What if they were smoking in the room while he was in there and he asked them to not do that? I'm a smoker (cigarettes only) but know what it is to be around someone smoking when you aren't or don't, it CAN be hell!!
The main point is, we don't know the details and should leave it up to the authorities to decide. (Pretty much open and shut case if they confiscated product from him)
An ounce or more- he's an idiot. Denver only issues a ticket for up to an ounce. You can pay the fine through the mail most times. And with them changing the "medical rule" in Washington, I imagine most states will go to more lenient marijuana terms. Just have medical smoker in your midst, then say you were trying to get them a joint to spare them the agony. :D

Heater
03-20-2009, 06:24
What if they were smoking in the room while he was in there and he asked them to not do that? I'm a smoker (cigarettes only) but know what it is to be around someone smoking when you aren't or don't, it CAN be hell!!
The main point is, we don't know the details and should leave it up to the authorities to decide. (Pretty much open and shut case if they confiscated product from him)
An ounce or more- he's an idiot. Denver only issues a ticket for up to an ounce. You can pay the fine through the mail most times. And with them changing the "medical rule" in Washington, I imagine most states will go to more lenient marijuana terms. Just have medical smoker in your midst, then say you were trying to get them a joint to spare them the agony. :D

Hey man. I ain't a "pothead" either but a freakin' scumbag snitch is still a freakin' scumbag snitch.

Deal with it without the law...
Otherwise you are an a-hole snitch.

My opinion. ;)

...and if the "snitch" is an occasional potsmoker as well... that sucks even worse. That's a Narc.

Screw the NARCS.

Pfhttt...

mweinstone
03-20-2009, 06:37
the place is a freekin treasure and i will defend her with my life. all in favor of bending time and going back with more respect for our trails treasures, ....i!

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 06:41
the place is a freekin treasure and i will defend her with my life. all in favor of bending time and going back with more respect for our trails treasures, ....i!

i wonder if it's bending time for the perp or if he made bail already. then what hang around a face charges? maybe wolf can put him up until court date? how does this work when you are basically a vagabond?

freefall
03-20-2009, 06:44
Hey man. I ain't a "pothead" either but a freakin' scumbag snitch is still a freakin' scumbag snitch.

My opinion. ;)

...and if the "snitch" is an occasional potsmoker as well... that sucks even worse. That's a Narc.

Screw the NARCS.

Pfhttt...Not a here snitch neither. Just pointing out that pot smokers need to be courteous as well. That SH@@ stinks to some people.

TOW
03-20-2009, 06:44
who cares. shouldn't have had it out in the open. no alcohol, drugs, dogs or smoking are the top 4 rules there. pretty easy to abide by. you'd think so anyway
and most likely that is what he was doing, smoking the crap out in the open and acting suspicious. last year i busted a couple for that, as soon as i walked up on the property and they saw me i noticed that they noticed me so i walked straight up to them and you could smell the crap all over the place........i stayed until they packed and left.......

TOW
03-20-2009, 06:53
Since I help Lone Wolf and Tom in looking after The Place and since I get along with the law here in town I am sure I will here the whole story. But lets just say that someone did "Snitch" the person off, perhaps it could have been one of the neighbors. There is a family that lives less than 10 yards across the street and they don't put up with no crap, in fact there are people that live all around there and they don't want that crap in their neighborhood.

The hiker should have not given himself away and I bet you he "Snitched" on himself!

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 06:54

who the frig said anything about a "snitch"? there's only 2 guys in there

Heater
03-20-2009, 06:58
who the frig said anything about a "snitch"? there's only 2 guys in there

Well, if the person just had it laying out there in plain sight when LEO came strolling through, then yeah.
S.F.B. like I said earlier.

TOW
03-20-2009, 07:01
What does S.F.B. stand for?

Heater
03-20-2009, 07:03
What does S.F.B. stand for?

Something for brains.

TOW
03-20-2009, 07:05
Something for brains.
So that is what my mother meant when she was talking to my dad and pointing at me.........wow!

Heater
03-20-2009, 07:13
So that is what my mother meant when she was talking to my dad and pointing at me.........wow!

HA! Yeah man...

Cats outta the bag.

Bless her heart.

:sun

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 07:34
On my section we had a guy that would get burnt everynight when we'd stop at a shelter for dinner he would always be sitting there mumbling to himself. One night we had moved down the trail and set up camp when I remembered I'd left my food bag clipped to a branch. So I headed back up to the shelter grabbed my bag, and just as I was about to leave this moron falls into the camp fire ring. Starts screaming and we had to tackle him and put him out.

Needless to say, keep that crap to yourself. If your going to do it, don't do it within non smokers nose shot, that **** stinks. Secondly don't do it in town where LEOs will happily take you downtown for it. Thirdly don't get high and forget your baggies up and down the trail. We found a couple Os at Thomas Knob shelter in May of 06. I buried it with my morning poo :D. Stupid potheads!

bigmac_in
03-20-2009, 08:19
On my section we had a guy that would get burnt everynight when we'd stop at a shelter for dinner he would always be sitting there mumbling to himself. One night we had moved down the trail and set up camp when I remembered I'd left my food bag clipped to a branch. So I headed back up to the shelter grabbed my bag, and just as I was about to leave this moron falls into the camp fire ring. Starts screaming and we had to tackle him and put him out.

Needless to say, keep that crap to yourself. If your going to do it, don't do it within non smokers nose shot, that **** stinks. Secondly don't do it in town where LEOs will happily take you downtown for it. Thirdly don't get high and forget your baggies up and down the trail. We found a couple Os at Thomas Knob shelter in May of 06. I buried it with my morning poo :D. Stupid potheads!

Guarantee you, if you buried it in a ziploc bag and someone finds it - it will still get smoked. Poo or no poo. :D

Pedaling Fool
03-20-2009, 08:19
...So I headed back up to the shelter grabbed my bag, and just as I was about to leave this moron falls into the camp fire ring. Starts screaming and we had to tackle him and put him out...
I would have just let him burn up.

RiverWarriorPJ
03-20-2009, 08:48
.......good one....:D..

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 08:55
No buried it au natural, I packed out the ziplock. No one really knew how to respond, but a few of us within a matter of maybe 15 seconds just tackled him as he ran around screaming.

If you go to the facebook Traildays page you'll get a kick out of the pothead whiners over there complaining about Damascus LEOs arresting people during the festival, and trying to form a boycott of the festival and even some who want to move Traildays to Hot Springs. Until if it is ever legalized you can fully expect any and all trail towns to arrest you for possesion.

sheepdog
03-20-2009, 09:02
Having worked in prisons for many years, that is the code.

doesn't seem to work real well as a form of government

think0075
03-20-2009, 09:19
We found a couple Os at Thomas Knob shelter in May of 06. I buried it with my morning poo :D. Stupid potheads!

you must be insane i understand the stupidity of someone smoking at a hostel that is run by a church. not very respectable or considerate. however, out on the trail who cares? people smokin a lil herb in the middle of the woods aint botherin nobody. and if it gets your panties all in a bunch maybe you should worry more about how you affect people and not how they affect you. as far as a guy who mumbles in a fire i would say he probably has a few more problems than sparking up a doobie everynight.

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 09:46
you must be insane i understand the stupidity of someone smoking at a hostel that is run by a church. not very respectable or considerate. however, out on the trail who cares? people smokin a lil herb in the middle of the woods aint botherin nobody. and if it gets your panties all in a bunch maybe you should worry more about how you affect people and not how they affect you. as far as a guy who mumbles in a fire i would say he probably has a few more problems than sparking up a doobie everynight.

excuse me, but he found it left behind. should he just have left it there for some underage teens to find?

Blue Jay
03-20-2009, 09:56
excuse me, but he found it left behind. should he just have left it there for some underage teens to find?

That would have not mattered as they most likely already have their own. Idiots attempting to close down what I consider a sacred "place" is truly an outrage.

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 11:21
In response to the hatemail I've gotten over the past 2 hours, I merely say thankyou. I'll say a prayer for your varying ailments and I hope the Marijuana fixes your backs, shoulder pains, glaucoma, cataracts, oh and the person with the rampant UTIs thanks for feeling like you needed to share :eek:. I stand behind what I said, if your so stoned that you leave atleast 4os behind in a shelter then I reserve the right to mix your stash with my poo and refer to you evermore as a "stupid pothead" or on the 3rd tuesday of every other month "stupid stoners". I hope people start leaving diamonds behind in shelters so I can bury them with my poo so it'll twinkle :D. Have a good one folks.

As far as smoking at "The Place" they got what they deserved. I'd call the neighbors responsible citizens and if they have children even better parents. What you call snitching I call community awareness and prevention. You want Big Brother to leave you alone, then you have to do the simple day to day footwork on your own. The people of Damascus go out of their way to make us feel at home, show some D*** RESPECT for their rules and laws.

The Weasel
03-20-2009, 11:42
Interesting aspect is how the police entered the property. Even with a 'reliable informant' they generally cannot enter private property without a warrant. The Place is 'private' (it's not a street or park). Yes, I know Damascus isn't Manhattan, but LEOs know the rules, too.

Weasey

max patch
03-20-2009, 11:46
Interesting aspect is how the police entered the property. Even with a 'reliable informant' they generally cannot enter private property without a warrant. The Place is 'private' (it's not a street or park). Yes, I know Damascus isn't Manhattan, but LEOs know the rules, too.

Weasey

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 11:49
I'm calling B.S. on Mtnkngxtskdiasod or whatever his name is' story. You're describing someone that's drunk or huffing or something. Pot doesn't have the effect on people.... unless it was laced with dust or it was "wet".

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 11:53
No buried it au natural, I packed out the ziplock. No one really knew how to respond, but a few of us within a matter of maybe 15 seconds just tackled him as he ran around screaming.

Potheads don't run around screaming.

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 11:55
Its really not that hard mtnkngxt, you had it right. Your use of extra letters in an attempt to discredit my name or make it seem less than believable in itself is quite good. Your calling of B.S. is dually noted and those that know me, know what my word is worth. I'm pretty sure any capable person who is on fire is going to scream. Just throwing that out there. Have you ever been stoned and on fire? Seems like you have experience in this matter.

Now back to the matter at hand "The Place" offers you a place to stay with just a simple couple of rules. If you can't follow them keep hiking. Plenty of woods around Damascus you can sit in the dark and spark up in.

envirodiver
03-20-2009, 11:57
Make bail and hike on

Maybe his new trailname is "bail Bond"

Pedaling Fool
03-20-2009, 11:58
Its really not that hard mtnkngxt, you had it right. Your use of extra letters in an attempt to discredit my name or make it seem less than believable in itself is quite good. Your calling of B.S. is dually noted and those that know me, know what my word is worth. Now back to the matter at hand "The Place" offers you a place to stay with just a simple couple of rules. If you can't follow them keep hiking. Plenty of woods around Damascus you can sit in the dark and spark up in.
I have nothing against pot and I believe it should not be illegal, that's just stupid. But you can't argue with the above post.

Follow the rules, as for laws that's another issue that is really very different, but people confuse a lot.

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 11:59
Its really not that hard mtnkngxt, you had it right. Your use of extra letters in an attempt to discredit my name or make it seem less than believable in itself is quite good. Your calling of B.S. is dually noted and those that know me, know what my word is worth. Now back to the matter at hand "The Place" offers you a place to stay with just a simple couple of rules. If you can't follow them keep hiking. Plenty of woods around Damascus you can sit in the dark and spark up in.

Me getting it right was pure luck.... looking back now I could have just looked at your name in the quoted post... but I missed it.

I'm just saying that I've been around it for years and years and years. You're describing someone that's doing something else or has mental problems.

I agree with your last sentence though. If you're going to do it, do it stealth. There's no reason to spark up in public.

envirodiver
03-20-2009, 11:59

If the rules state all of that (especially being church sponsored) if you can't abide by the rules then go elsewhere to stay. You don't have to agree with the rules, but if you choose to stay somewhere you honor their rules or move on.

Bilko
03-20-2009, 12:00
The Church that sponsors "The Place" is providing a great service for all hikers. That church is actually doing something for others, not just talking about doing something. The people living in Damascus (and others) know that over the years there have been many hikers and non-hikers that have been abusing the privilege of staying there. I believe the concept of "The Place" is a great one. I would think that everyone could be respectful to them and show them the same respect that they show others. As far as everyone in prison thinking 'snitches' are low forms of life. I bet they do.

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 12:03
I'm not in prison and I think snitches need to get a life.

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 12:05
And if the police want to close the place down over this(is that right?) then you have police department problem.

envirodiver
03-20-2009, 12:05
Potheads don't run around screaming.

They do when they are on fire.

zoidfu
03-20-2009, 12:07
They do when they are on fire.

I stand corrected:D

Bearpaw
03-20-2009, 12:10
And if the police want to close the place down over this(is that right?) then you have police department problem.

I don't think the issue is the police closing The Place. The issue is that the Church might consider closing it if the rules are broken often. It has already happened in many other hostels over the years.

jersey joe
03-20-2009, 12:10
It is a shame because people like this are what give hikers a negative image on the trail.

Pedaling Fool
03-20-2009, 12:14
Wouldn't make me sad to see it closed down. It's a dump, not the fault of the church, rather the scum that go through. A perfect example of why people need LEADERSHIP.

partinj
03-20-2009, 12:22
This is the reason so many hostels have close their doors because hikers
can not follow the rules. I would hate to see the place close my buddy stay their last year said it was fun. The rules are their for a reason so everone can enjoy the hostel. If it was me i hit the dumb**a with a big
fine bet he would think twice about doing it again. Oh yet about the private property thing mabye the church ask them to check out the place
for them once an while.If you can't not follow the rules do not stay at hostel.
:eek:

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 12:23
You can't really trust people to do whats right hence the reason we have police.

Slo-go'en
03-20-2009, 12:44
The problem with "The Place" is that it is left unsupervised. It is the only hostel I know of on the trail which is not attended. They need to instal a resident caretaker and kick up the rent. At least for the busy season. Unless that happens, problems with drinking and smoking will continue as they always have.

As for smoking dope in public places, thats just stupid. This ain't the 70's when everyone had a bag of weed in thier pack. You got to use discression.

sheepdog
03-20-2009, 12:54
In response to the hatemail I've gotten over the past 2 hours, I merely say thankyou. I'll say a prayer for your varying ailments and I hope the Marijuana fixes your backs, shoulder pains, glaucoma, cataracts, oh and the person with the rampant UTIs thanks for feeling like you needed to share :eek:. I stand behind what I said, if your so stoned that you leave atleast 4os behind in a shelter then I reserve the right to mix your stash with my poo and refer to you evermore as a "stupid pothead" or on the 3rd tuesday of every other month "stupid stoners". I hope people start leaving diamonds behind in shelters so I can bury them with my poo so it'll twinkle :D. Have a good one folks.

As far as smoking at "The Place" they got what they deserved. I'd call the neighbors responsible citizens and if they have children even better parents. What you call snitching I call community awareness and prevention. You want Big Brother to leave you alone, then you have to do the simple day to day footwork on your own. The people of Damascus go out of their way to make us feel at home, show some D*** RESPECT for their rules and laws.
Attacked by potheads? I'm surprised they had the energy.:D

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 13:08
They always want to clear up that they only smoke medicinal weed. Never said I was attacked just said it was hatemail. Didn't you know its a different plant all together, medicinal marijuans plants wear lab coats and have stethescopes. It's a fact. :D

Next thing you know doctors will be writing prescriptions for sex as a form of weightloss, can't arrest a hooker if she's a medical professional lol.

sheepdog
03-20-2009, 13:13
One thing all the dope smokers got to remember. Many of us get routine drug testing with our jobs. Sitting in a cloud of second hand smoke could cost someone their job. I won't snitch I will just ask you to take it out side. But if someone chooses to tell, hey you light up you take your chances. That scruffy guy next to you could be a cop.

Slo-go'en
03-20-2009, 13:16

Weasey

Since there is no restriction on who or when someone can enter the property, The Place can be considered a public place. It's not like they stormed in to a private home.

sheepdog
03-20-2009, 13:18
Since there is no restriction on who or when someone can enter the property, The Place can be considered a public place. It's not like they stormed in to a private home.
and as someone else said, I bet they encourage the cops to stop in and check the place out.

think0075
03-20-2009, 13:20
. I stand behind what I said, if your so stoned that you leave atleast 4os behind in a shelter then I reserve the right to mix your stash with my poo and refer to you evermore as a "stupid pothead"

i really don't believe much you say. i highly doubt that anyone left a quarterpound something that can cost anywhere from 600 to 1500 dollards depending on the quality sitting at a shelter in the middle of the woods maybe you found some oregano that someone brought for cooking. oh and for whoever said he shouldnt leave some kid might pick it up. maybe thats the problem maybe everyone tries to hide the world from kids instead of letting them experiencing it for themselves presenting them with the facts and allow them to make up there own minds. the law is what it is i cant change that. so be responsible. and enjoy the herb. i know my hike would have been hell without it. i can honestly say that i had more hikers ask to smoke then i had complain. oh and instead of burying the dudes pot why not carry it for a lil. and give it back. i know a southbounder dragonfly found some and returned it to its rightful owner this year and i guarantee that nobo hiker could not have been happier. oh and sex only burns on average 30 calories. maybe you should try hiking if you wanna lose weight

CowHead
03-20-2009, 13:23
Probably the police are reading these posts and then go and see who smokes or doesn’t smoke read when you expect to be in the area and poof your busted. Like any and everything wisdom outweighs rights. Yes you have a right to do what ever you want to do, but is it wise to do such or brag that you do?

sheepdog
03-20-2009, 13:29
oh and for whoever said he shouldnt leave some kid might pick it up. maybe thats the problem maybe everyone tries to hide the world from kids instead of letting them experiencing it for themselves presenting them with the facts and allow them to make up there own minds.
Yeah, don't tell the kids nothin, let em make up thier own minds, thats the ticket...:rolleyes:

mikec
03-20-2009, 13:37
I stayed at the place when I sectioned hiked that area in 1999. It was a fun place to stay. The only complaint I had was that it was noisy at night. I wear earplugs and I could still hear people talking and carrying on all night. I hope they don't close it but that people that stay there in the future act 'smarter'.

think0075
03-20-2009, 13:38
Yeah, don't tell the kids nothin, let em make up thier own minds, thats the ticket...:rolleyes:

if you read with i wrote i didnt say tell the kids nothin i said present the with the facts. and then allow them to make up there own mind. i mean if kids only did what they were suppose to do and followed the example of all those "responsible" adults out there who knows the mistakes in history we might repeat.

4eyedbuzzard
03-20-2009, 13:52

Weasey

Just my thoughts...

Given the history, circumstances, etc, a "reputable and reliable" source would likely be enough for LE to come to the reasonable belief that a person has committed a crime. That's probable cause, or at minimum reasonable suspicion to further investigate and arrive at probable cause if it exists.

I doubt having bunk space and access to other common areas in a hostel, in exchange for donation, represents the same "under control" or "expectation of privacy" standard applied to other dwellings or even hotel rooms.

Entry could most likely be justified under exigent circumstance and/or permission from any other occupant or the owner/manager.

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 13:52

the caretaker has asked me and TOW to help enforce the rules. we were told if a hiker is caught breaking rules to immediately ask them to leave the property. if they don't, go get the police. they're allowed on the property with the caretaker's blessing too

Frosty
03-20-2009, 13:54
Well... IMO, A snitch is the lowest form of scum on the earth. **** snitches.So if your car was reported stolen and someone called the cops to tell them they saw it and where it was, you wouldn't want the cops to act on it? You'd rather let them chop your car and sell the parts than have the robbers snitched on?

Or if your house was robbed and a neighbor got the license plate number of the thieves, you wouldn't give that plate number to the cops? You'd rather lose all your stuff than get help from the lowest of the low?

Well, the lowest of the low aren't the "snitches," they are the lawbreakers being snitched on.

Your feelings aren't about "snitches" at all, but about someone turning YOU in when you are the law-breaker. "Snitches" are only low when they turn you in, or turn someone in for something you do also.

To a lawbreaker, they are snitches. To the law-abiding, they are part of a neighbood awareness and safety program.

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 13:56
the caretaker has asked me and TOW to help enforce the rules. we were told if a hiker is caught breaking rules to immediately ask them to leave the property. if they don't, go get the police. they're allowed on the property with the caretaker's blessing too

simple enough to understand

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 13:58
So if your car was reported stolen and someone called the cops to tell them they saw it and where it was, you wouldn't want the cops to act on it? You'd rather let them chop your car and sell the parts than have the robbers snitched on?

Or if your house was robbed and a neighbor got the license plate number of the thieves, you wouldn't give that plate number to the cops? You'd rather lose all your stuff than get help from the lowest of the low?

Well, the lowest of the low aren't the "snitches," they are the lawbreakers being snitched on.

Your feelings aren't about "snitches" at all, but about someone turning YOU in when you are the law-breaker. "Snitches" are only low when they turn you in, or turn someone in for something you do also.

To a lawbreaker, they are snitches. To the law-abiding, they are part of a neighbood awareness and safety program.

no no, he's saying snitches are those who turn in people with laws he doesn't agree with. :eek:

sheepdog
03-20-2009, 14:09
no no, he's saying snitches are those who turn in people with laws he doesn't agree with. :eek:
zacktly

Mother's Finest
03-20-2009, 14:10
The issue has nothing to do with marijuana. If you substituted beer they would still be breaking the rules of the hostel.

Everyone that uses marijuana should know that they choose to do so in peril of the LAW. That means some level of common sense when the time comes to burn one down. Your own tent, or alone or with like minded smokers in an area away from others is generally the best way to handle things like this.

To the poster that was concerned about their job and a drug test---no way in the world is second hand marijuana smoke in an outdoor environment going to give a non-drug user the levels needed for a false positive on a drug test. Nice sentiment, but just call a spade a spade and say you don't like people who use marijuana. The argument you make is totally bogus.

peace
mf

Lugnut
03-20-2009, 14:20
simple enough to understand

Does that make Wolf and TOW snitches? :eek:

hoz
03-20-2009, 14:20
Face it, the "war on drugs" is a failure that has been ruining peoples lives for much too long. It has devoluted into a money grab by law enforcement who want to perpetuate the myth that marijuana use leads to "hard drugs".

We now have a President that not only admits using in his "younger days", but also to inhaling! This may be our first best chance to get the prohibition against marijuana repealed.

Write the White House and your representatives!

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 14:21

nope, it makes them honorable

Lone Wolf
03-20-2009, 14:51
Face it, the "war on drugs" is a failure that has been ruining peoples lives for much too long. It has devoluted into a money grab by law enforcement who want to perpetuate the myth that marijuana use leads to "hard drugs".

We now have a President that not only admits using in his "younger days", but also to inhaling! This may be our first best chance to get the prohibition against marijuana repealed.

Write the White House and your representatives!

what the hell are you blathering about? this thread is about Aholes who blatantly break rules at a church-run hostel. possess it or smoke it at "The Place" and i catch you, you're azz will be in the LEOs hands

hoz
03-20-2009, 14:56
Don't worry Wolf, this Old Dog is pretty stealthy, you'll never catch me. Hehehehehehe

sheepdog
03-20-2009, 17:35
To the poster that was concerned about their job and a drug test---no way in the world is second hand marijuana smoke in an outdoor environment going to give a non-drug user the levels needed for a false positive on a drug test. Nice sentiment, but just call a spade a spade and say you don't like people who use marijuana. The argument you make is totally bogus.

peace
mf

Got a study that proves that? The surgeon general says second hand tobacco smoke is a danger. Dope smoke can't be much different. Gamble with your job not mine.

Don't worry Wolf, this Old Dog is pretty stealthy, you'll never catch me. Hehehehehehe
That phrase is usuall followed by "holy crap" and "watch your head".

FritztheCat
03-20-2009, 17:46
Got a study that proves that? The surgeon general says second hand tobacco smoke is a danger. Dope smoke can't be much different. Gamble with your job not mine.

I have to deal with this quite a bit in the military (unfortunately). There is a study often quoted about second hand pot smoke and a urinalysis test. Apparently, they had to put a subject in a sealed room about the size of a phonebooth and pump marijuana smoke in for several minutes before the subject provided a sample that returned positive. The subject complained of eye irritation due to the large amount of smoke. Certainly not saying second-hand pot smoke isn't bad for you, just like cigarette smoke. Just that it is darn near impossible to have a positive result unless one is actually smoking.

Sorry for the thread drift. :rolleyes:

TOW
03-20-2009, 17:51
don't ever let this happen again...............

Lugnut
03-20-2009, 18:44
nope, it makes them honorable

Agreed.

hoz
03-20-2009, 19:28
Got a study that proves that?

My wife is a Medical Technologist specializing in drugs and toxicology. She has been "in the business" for over 20 years and runs the GCMasSpec machine doing drug tests for the law.

She said there is no way a person could have a positive response to secondhand marijuana smoke inhaled in an outdoor environment.

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 20:13
Doesn't change the fact that I don't want to breathe that crap. Do it in private. Anyone sparks up in a shelter when I have my daughter with me, and I'll use my big boy voice.

saimyoji
03-20-2009, 20:16
Doesn't change the fact that I don't want to breathe that crap. Do it in private. Anyone sparks up in a shelter when I have my daughter with me, and I'll use my big boy voice.

how old is your daughter?

TOW
03-20-2009, 20:27
I know you were joking and I take it as such but I want to emphasize a point here. The point is, as it has been stated here already, there are rules in place. And the care taker, Lone Wolf, and I are volunteers at The Place. Not one of us care if the hikers have drink, or smoke. Just do not do it there. Don't take your dogs there, don't be obnoxious and so forth.

If I am forced to call the law I will, I do not want to. I don't have a desire at all to see anyone spend a night in jail. Besides I have spent a many a night in jails and institutions and prisons and I would never want anyone to have to go there.

I am simply a person who has volunteered to take on a position because someone needs to do it and I enjoy the hiking culture. And I have also said that I will help to enforce the rules by being in that position. I personally would like to see The Place stay open for many a year to come. It is a unique setting and an unique experience for many a person who has stayed and who will be staying. And if these simple rules cannot be adhered to on a consistent basis by all that use The Place then there will be no more "The Place."

saimyoji
03-20-2009, 20:31
so would you go so far as to say that it is about respect? Respect the wishes of the person allowing you to stay at their place by following a few simple rules?

perhaps those in violation could be branded as Disrespectful of the Wishes of the Establishment.

DWE on their forehead.

mudcap
03-20-2009, 20:34
So if your car was reported stolen and someone called the cops to tell them they saw it and where it was, you wouldn't want the cops to act on it? You'd rather let them chop your car and sell the parts than have the robbers snitched on?

Cop or Lawyer???? Paranoia strikes deep.:rolleyes:

sheepdog
03-20-2009, 22:19
I have to deal with this quite a bit in the military (unfortunately). There is a study often quoted about second hand pot smoke and a urinalysis test. Apparently, they had to put a subject in a sealed room about the size of a phonebooth and pump marijuana smoke in for several minutes before the subject provided a sample that returned positive. The subject complained of eye irritation due to the large amount of smoke. Certainly not saying second-hand pot smoke isn't bad for you, just like cigarette smoke. Just that it is darn near impossible to have a positive result unless one is actually smoking.

Did that guy volunteer for that job? Human bong water>:eek:

OutdoorsMan
03-20-2009, 23:03
I don't think the issue is the police closing The Place. The issue is that the Church might consider closing it if the rules are broken often. It has already happened in many other hostels over the years.

I hope that they don't do it before June, I was hoping to take about ten Boy Scouts there to camp in the yard for one night before and maybe one night after a 30 mile hike. Does anyone see anything wrong with that?

I thought it would would be convenient to use the bathroom, easy to MRO, etc. Of course we will make our contribution to the church/The Place!

Lugnut
03-20-2009, 23:04
I know you were joking and I take it as such .....

Of course I was.:D It's good they have you two nearby to keep an eye on things or else it might become 'animal house'. I got nothing against smoking the stuff if you want. I do have a problem about disrespecting the church that is providing a pretty convenient place to stay.

Bearpaw
03-20-2009, 23:15
I hope that they don't do it before June, I was hoping to take about ten Boy Scouts there to camp in the yard for one night before and maybe one night after a 30 mile hike. Does anyone see anything wrong with that?

I thought it would would be convenient to use the bathroom, easy to MRO, etc. Of course we will make our contribution to the church/The Place!

The Place has been around a long time. I don't think it will close too soon, but every year it seems you hear more issues from hikers at facilities along the trail corridor. Thru-hiker numbers seem to have been dropping off the last few years, but incidents seem at least as common or more in that same time.

mindi
03-20-2009, 23:16
I don't think it's so much of an issue of whether or not you smoke pot or think it should be legal/illegal/etc, it's an issue of following the rules when you are staying somewhere and being considerate.

I smoke, but I don't do it in places where the rules state that it is not allowed. Period. If I don't like it, I go somewhere else where I'm not bothering anyone. It's really that simple. Following the rules of these places is what keeps them in operation for other hikers to enjoy and crapping all over the rules is the reason why a lot of places become unwelcoming to hikers after a time.

Tinker
03-20-2009, 23:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weasel http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=806063#post806063)

Weasey

Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

It's kinda like illegal immigration. Immigration is fine, it's the illegal part that people want to argue about.
If you like smoking pot (I did it for a number of years), keep your use away from others until you know their view of it.
If you take the risk of getting caught (think in terms of running a stop sign if other "crimes" seem to be too heavy to think about), and you GET caught, oh well, get over it and smarten up. ;)

Blissful
03-20-2009, 23:35

It happens out there. My 16 yr old was in a circle at a campfire at Carter Gap shelter where they were passing the thing around. I was asleep and didn't hear about it until the next AM when he told me.

TOW
03-21-2009, 06:11
Just to clear matters up on how dude got busted is that he "SNITCHED" on himself. Stupidity at its finest and that is all I got to say about that. Funny!

mweinstone
03-21-2009, 07:08
me and tow always fear the loss of the place. and wolf. and everyone. dave knows its at risk. its been at risk so so long,...im afraid the church cannot ignore the doctorial requirements of their own mission statement any further. to do so is to possibly drive off congragation.

kanga
03-21-2009, 07:12
I don't think it's so much of an issue of whether or not you smoke pot or think it should be legal/illegal/etc, it's an issue of following the rules when you are staying somewhere and being considerate.

I smoke, but I don't do it in places where the rules state that it is not allowed. Period. If I don't like it, I go somewhere else where I'm not bothering anyone. It's really that simple. Following the rules of these places is what keeps them in operation for other hikers to enjoy and crapping all over the rules is the reason why a lot of places become unwelcoming to hikers after a time.
eggsactly

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 07:12
me and tow always fear the loss of the place. and wolf. and everyone.

speak for youselves. i wish they would close it to AT hikers but leave it open to bicyclists and church/scout groups. they respect the rules, leave money in the box and clean up

kanga
03-21-2009, 07:16
The Place has been around a long time. I don't think it will close too soon, but every year it seems you hear more issues from hikers at facilities along the trail corridor. Thru-hiker numbers seem to have been dropping off the last few years, but incidents seem at least as common or more in that same time.
it's a changing society, bearpaw. you have a lot more people nowadays that were raised without learning respect for others or their environment. on the other hand, it seems like there are more and more uptight anal people that have no tolerance whatsoever for anything. everything bothers them. more chilling, more respect. that's what the world needs.

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 07:17

My opinion. ;)

Screw the NARCS.

Pfhttt...

there was no "snitch" just so you paranoid dopers know. cops were doing a random walk-thru as they're authorized to do and the hiker had his stash sitting out in plain view for the police to see.

kanga
03-21-2009, 07:18
and less idiots. did i mention we need less idiots?

mweinstone
03-21-2009, 07:22
wolf, good morning. heres my speech i give at the place when its all trashed and im stayin in town or their. i announce in my super annoying yet effective voice, " hey everyone, it takes about 17 minutes for one persone to mop and de trash the place. im going to start doing it and if anyone wants to help their welcome. " then i remind the hikers still sitting down after the volenteers sprang into action, " if you dont want to help, could someone please go to food city and buy some soap and bags and toilet paper for the place?" and usually theirs still lazy folks after that that i offer to just chip in for these goods, let others get them, and not put their donation in the box but count it in sundries purchesed for the group next. this allows each division of lazy asses to choose a contribution level suited to such a rabbel. but yea, wolf, they suck at being good to the place and the bikers dont. thats clear.

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 07:28
wolf, good morning. heres my speech i give at the place when its all trashed and im stayin in town or their. i announce in my super annoying yet effective voice, " hey everyone, it takes about 17 minutes for one persone to mop and de trash the place. im going to start doing it and if anyone wants to help their welcome. " then i remind the hikers still sitting down after the volenteers sprang into action, " if you dont want to help, could someone please go to food city and buy some soap and bags and toilet paper for the place?" and usually theirs still lazy folks after that that i offer to just chip in for these goods, let others get them, and not put their donation in the box but count it in sundries purchesed for the group next. this allows each division of lazy asses to choose a contribution level suited to such a rabbel. but yea, wolf, they suck at being good to the place and the bikers dont. thats clear.

you're an exception to the rule, matty. about once a week someone like you comes along and cleans, washes towels, etc. but the majority of the time it's a friggin pig sty. hikers have proven that they need a babysitter and someone to tell them to do no-brainer stuff

TOW
03-21-2009, 07:32
speak for youselves. i wish they would close it to AT hikers but leave it open to bicyclists and church/scout groups. they respect the rules, leave money in the box and clean upyes they do.....

4eyedbuzzard
03-21-2009, 09:00
... more chilling, more respect. that's what the world needs.

and less idiots. did i mention we need less idiots?

:clap:jump:clap:jump:clap

Grumpy5280
03-21-2009, 09:26
enjoy the herb. i know my hike would have been hell without it.

And the truth comes out...

your many impassioned offensives against people who have common sense about dope (smoke it elsewhere) and who keep some kids from potentially getting 4 ozs. of weed ("let'em experiment!") it is all B.S. justification of your worship of getting high.

dude, you've got issues.

If the natural high of hiking/nature/exploring new things/new people wasn't enough, and your AT trip would have been "hell" without a drug...:-?

...then you might need help...There's yer sign....

rickb
03-21-2009, 09:26
there was no "snitch" just so you paranoid dopers know. cops were doing a random walk-thru as they're authorized to do and the hiker had his stash sitting out in plain view for the police to see.

So they weren't smoking in the Place then?

That's good.

If you are going to carry a legal weapon or illegal contraband, best to keep it out of sight from everyone except your close personal friends.

Grumpy5280
03-21-2009, 09:44
And as for snitches, well, one person's snitch is another person's Community Watch citizen...and lawbreakers will argue about this point forever, feeling betrayed as they do.

I agree that weed is (mostly) a victimless crime (though some people come to worship it over life itself, as I did for one godforsaken semester a few years ago). But if you want to "carry" or "spark one up" occasionally, at least keep your stuff hidden and do it privately, among friends, when you don't have to drive.

Sounds like the Place needs to change it's mission which may have outlived its utility. I hope they stay open for bicyclists & church/scout groups with reservations, however.

...there are plenty of places to stay in /around Damascus now, including camping, which is what hikers must know they have to do when they thru-hike the AT.

Jaybird
03-21-2009, 10:13
cops busted a hiker earlier at the hostel for havin' dope. they'll be watchin' the place like a hawk now. the hiker season has barely begun and already the Aholes are arriving :rolleyes: maybe the church will close it

WOW, WOLF!
U shouldnt be sneeking that kinda "contraband" into that hostel!
hehehehehehe:D

see U in May!

Hikin' Harpers Ferry to Swatara Gap (w/ "Jigsaw", "Model-T" & "DAKS") NOBO.

Bulldawg
03-21-2009, 10:57
One thing all the dope smokers got to remember. Many of us get routine drug testing with our jobs. Sitting in a cloud of second hand smoke could cost someone their job. I won't snitch I will just ask you to take it out side. But if someone chooses to tell, hey you light up you take your chances. That scruffy guy next to you could be a cop.

That phrase is usuall followed by "holy crap" and "watch your head".

Study or no study, I ain't gonna risk my job and family's future just so you can smoke. I ain't got any problems with you if you do smoke, just be considerate of others. If I am outside with you and you fire off, I'm probably just going to walk away and let you be. Fire off inside with asking, we might have an issue.

double d
03-21-2009, 12:35
Its simple, follow the rules, respect others and enjoy yourself on the AT, if life would only be so easy. Sometimes people want to "suspend" the norms and laws of society to justify their behavior, but that is just making excuses for their lacking respect for others. Also, weed is not a "victimless" crime, people kill other people (and in some cases, their families) to control the weed economy, both in this country and in others.

rickb
03-21-2009, 14:04
Are there other hostels, motels or other privately owned gathering places along the AT where the police are routinely invited inside to look around? Or have a blanket invitation from the owners/caretakers to do so?

I am not talking about when there are reports of trouble or a crime, but simply as part of their "rounds".

Or is The Place unique in that regard?

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 14:23
Are there other hostels, motels or other privately owned gathering places along the AT where the police are routinely invited inside to look around? Or have a blanket invitation from the owners/caretakers to do so?

I am not talking about when there are reports of trouble or a crime, but simply as part of their "rounds".

Or is The Place unique in that regard?

unique in that regard

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 14:24
and thanks all. this thread will be closed soon too :rolleyes: stay on freakin' topic!

rickb
03-21-2009, 14:40
unique in that regard

Do you know what drew the Officer to the hiker's backpack with the weed in it?

zoidfu
03-21-2009, 15:02

There's a difference when the crime actually hurts someone. Someone who sees a bag and goes running for the phone is pathetic. They just want to get off on someone getting in trouble.

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 15:15

the dope was not in the pack. it was in a see through container sitting out in plain site

Frosty
03-21-2009, 15:33
There's a difference when the crime actually hurts someone. Someone who sees a bag and goes running for the phone is pathetic. They just want to get off on someone getting in trouble.Granted if someone informs for spite or a personal vendetta rather than tor public service it is pathetic, although we all might have different ideas of what is victimless, and when it is beneficial to call the cops. Probably based on our own belief systems and past personal history.

I meant that a blanket denounciation of "snitches" ignores the fact that in many cases it is of benefit to let the police know what is happening.

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 15:38
the dope was not in the pack. it was in a see through container sitting out in plain site

it's why it's called dope and noe einstein

rickb
03-21-2009, 16:01
I meant that a blanket denounciation of "snitches" ignores the fact that in many cases it is of benefit to let the police know what is happening.

Frosty, that was clear to me. You make sense.

rickb
03-21-2009, 16:04

Seems odd.

Slo-go'en
03-21-2009, 16:10
the dope was not in the pack. it was in a see through container sitting out in plain sight

Okay, I can guess what happened. The kid got to the Place, dumped the contents of his pack out on the bunk and the cop just happend do his walk through then. The cop stops to talk to the kid and spots the jar of green bud. Then instead of saying something like "You shouldn't leave stuff like that out in the open where I can see it and I better not see it again", he busts the poor dude.

ed bell
03-21-2009, 16:11
With all this "snitches" talk, lets remember that normally a "snitch" refers to an incarcerated criminal that provides info to law enforcement to gain favoritism or a lighter sentence. If someone was staying at a hostel, saw something inappropriate or against the rules and passed it on to the overseers, why would that be a bad thing under any circumstances? The people in charge would take that info and decide what to do about it. Not a big deal.

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 16:14
Seems odd.

most dopers are

ed bell
03-21-2009, 16:14
<snip> he busts the poor dude.If he's a hiker with an ounce of green bud and gets busted that way, "poor" is not the word I'd have used.

rickb
03-21-2009, 16:17
Okay, I can guess what happened. The kid got to the Place, dumped the contents of his pack out on the bunk and the cop just happend do his walk through then. The cop stops to talk to the kid and spots the jar of green bud. Then instead of saying something like "You shouldn't leave stuff like that out in the open where I can see it and I better not see it again", he busts the poor dude.

If that's the case, hardly a lack of respect for The Place as implied earlier.

rickb
03-21-2009, 16:22
What was the charge?

hoz
03-21-2009, 16:33
With all this "snitches" talk, lets remember that normally a "snitch" refers to an incarcerated criminal that provides info to law enforcement to gain favoritism or a lighter sentence.

Not exactly, a "snitch" can be any informant whether incarcerated or not. Some snitches squeal for money, favors, to keep from going to jail themselves, or some misguided thought of "it's the right thing to do"... yeah right.

A snitch is a low life who can't mind their own business. In jail, they are either put into PC (Punk City) or they are dealt with, usually rather harshly.

A search of snitch synonyms reveals:

betrayer, blabbermouth, canary, deep throat, double-crosser, fink, informant, narc, nark, rat, sneak, snitcher, source, squealer, stool pigeon, stoolie, tattler, tattletale, tipster, turncoat, weasel, whistle-blower

Anyone notice how none of those have positive connotations?

rickb
03-21-2009, 16:37
A snitch is a low life who can't mind their own business. In jail, they are either put into PC (Punk City) or they are dealt with, usually rather harshly.

betrayer, blabbermouth, canary, deep throat, double-crosser, fink, informant, narc, nark, rat, sneak, snitcher, source, squealer, stool pigeon, stoolie, tattler, tattletale, tipster, turncoat, weasel, whistle-blower

Anyone notice how none of those have positive connotations?

You done time, Hoz?

hoz
03-21-2009, 16:39
Would it matter to you if I had?

ed bell
03-21-2009, 16:40

Anyone notice how none of those have positive connotations?I can identify with the "can't mind their own business part". Fair enough. I can decide what my "business" is.

rickb
03-21-2009, 16:43
Would it matter to you if I had?

Just looking for your perspective.

In my world, turning in criminals (thieves, child molesters, rapists, etc.) is considered a good thing.

Probably different in other people's worlds.

A kid with pot is in a different league, of course.

neighbor dave
03-21-2009, 16:48
:-?it's a prety clear and simple rule to follow. no weed or booze in the place.
p.s. it's an herb, not a drug:sun

The Old Fhart
03-21-2009, 17:37
neighbor dave-"p.s. it's an herb, not a drug"You're only 1/2 right......

World Health Organization (WHO)-"A drug, broadly speaking, is any chemical substance that, when absorbed into the body of a living organism, alters normal bodily function."

Wikipedia-"Cannabis, also known as marijuana.... is a psychoactive drug....The herbal form of the drug consists ...."It doesn't belong in The Place-period.

neighbor dave
03-21-2009, 18:04
You're only 1/2 right......

It doesn't belong in The Place-period.
hi fart!
i'll say it again.
it's a pretty easy rule to follow, no weed or booze in the place.
anybody can write schist for wikipedia
and as far as the w.h.o.,.......... listen to what you wanna hear

The Old Fhart
03-21-2009, 18:28
Neighbor Dave, We both agree that "it's a pretty easy rule to follow, no weed or booze in the place" and I'll even agree with "anybody can write schist for wikipedia" but it isn't just Wikipedia and W.H.O. that consider marijuana a drug, it's the A.M.A., CDC, DEA, hell, the entire alphabet agrees it's a drug.;)

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 18:33
What was the charge?

don't know, don't care. why are you so interested in some fool that got busted for an illegal substance in a church run hostel forbidding dope? call the local PD and ask them. the guy ****ed up. end of story

neighbor dave
03-21-2009, 18:39
Neighbor Dave, but it isn't just Wikipedia and W.H.O. that consider marijuana a drug, it's the A.M.A., CDC, DEA, hell, the entire alphabet agrees it's a drug.;)
can we agree that all those orgs that you've stated have been wrong in the past?:welcome

ed bell
03-21-2009, 18:49
don't know, don't care. why are you so interested in some fool that got busted for an illegal substance in a church run hostel forbidding dope? call the local PD and ask them. the guy ****ed up. end of storyThat sums it up. How many years has "The Place" been open to folks visiting Damascus? I figured I'd ask, because, after all, this is a thread about experiences and information about "The Place".

Bulldawg
03-21-2009, 18:54
I've NEVER been to "The Place" but it seems to me that it shouldn't be too hard to have enough "RESPECT" for a CHURCH to NOT do anything illegal there. It's really just common sense and general respect that one should not drink nor toke on Church property.

hoz
03-21-2009, 18:59
Just looking for your perspective.

In my world, turning in criminals (thieves, child molesters, rapists, etc.) is considered a good thing.

Probably different in other people's worlds.

A kid with pot is in a different league, of course.

We aren't talking about thieves, child molesters or bush jumpers. It's a hiker caught with a small amount of herb.

Bulldawg
03-21-2009, 19:00
We aren't talking about thieves, child molesters or bush jumpers. It's a hiker caught with a small amount of herb.

From what I understand, it was a pretty good bit of "herb".

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 19:19
That sums it up. How many years has "The Place" been open to folks visiting Damascus? I figured I'd ask, because, after all, this is a thread about experiences and information about "The Place".

since 1976. it was opened for the bikers on the 76 trans-America Trail

TOW
03-21-2009, 19:22
the weed was not in it, the weed was on it......

TOW
03-21-2009, 19:26
Not a true scenario at all. Dude is like in his forties, comes in and unpacks, leaves pot on top of belongings, goes to town, cop does walk thru sees pot, cop wait in parking lot until hiker shows up and then follows him to his room, as soon as hiker notices the cop he throws pot under cover, cop asks what he just hid, hiker hands it to him and says "You got me!"

hoz
03-21-2009, 19:28
From what I understand, it was a pretty good bit of "herb".

Oh really? How much? Any way to find out?

TOW
03-21-2009, 19:30
it was not a small amount of herb, in fact it was a good sum of herb but he was only charged with a misdemeanor because he chose to be cooperative and not lie once he was caught.

hoz
03-21-2009, 19:32
The guy freaked, he shouldn't have touched the baggie. When the cop asked the standard answer should have been, "Pot what pot? Someone must have put that there while I was out."

I don't know what the law is like there. But some places they would let him go with a slap on the wrist and keep the pot for their own use.

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 19:32
Oh really? How much? Any way to find out?

yeah. i saw it. the cop showed it to me.

TOW
03-21-2009, 19:35
The guy freaked, he shouldn't have touched the baggie. When the cop asked the standard answer should have been, "Pot what pot? Someone must have put that there while I was out."

I don't know what the law is like there. But some places they would let him go with a slap on the wrist and keep the pot for their own use.
I know one thing because I have spent a good amount of time in prison and jails, when I chose to on up to the truth things went a lot smootherand the sentencing was light.......

TOW
03-21-2009, 19:39
Another thing I know, and I know this as a writer of stories, the simple truth refuses to be believed. You guys want to disect the **** out of this and make it into a Hollywood version of how it actually went down.

picklejar
03-21-2009, 19:39

Dunno...but Virginia is one of the top states in the number of executions

hoz
03-21-2009, 19:40
Misdemeanor? Less than an oz?

hoz
03-21-2009, 19:42
Another thing I know, and I know this as a writer of stories, the simple truth refuses to be believed. You guys want to disect the **** out of this and make it into a Hollywood version of how it actually went down.

What else is there to do? This beats Miami Vice... I can see it now, "Big Drug Bust at the PLACE. AT Cartel brought to it's knees."

TOW
03-21-2009, 19:42
Misdemeanor? Less than an oz?
By law less than an ounce is a misdemeanor. In this guys case the cops says it was very clear that the guy could have been charged with a felony. They chose to fine him and only charge him with as little as they could because he chose to on up to it.

Pedaling Fool
03-21-2009, 19:45
This is one of those really stupid threads that you can't keep from looking at, but I'm stopping now...no now...ok now...

4eyedbuzzard
03-21-2009, 19:45

Misdemeanor. Up to 30 days and $500. Possible conditional release and diversion with voluntary probation for 1st offense.

Play the "pot, what pot game" and that release/diversion/probation doesn't get offered.

TOW
03-21-2009, 19:47
Misdemeanor. Up to 30 days and $500. Possible conditional release and diversion with voluntary probation for 1st offense.

Play the "pot, what pot game" and that release/diversion/probation doesn't get offered.
hoz is not going to believe a word you say.........

ed bell
03-21-2009, 19:54
since 1976. it was opened for the bikers on the 76 trans-America TrailThat's a long run, too bad they don't have a 24/7 caretaker from March-October.

Desert Reprobate
03-21-2009, 19:56
It is kind of a shame that someone who is adult enough to hike 2000+ miles needs a babysitter when in town.

SGT Rock
03-21-2009, 20:09
Sounds like it is now getting beat to death.