PDA

View Full Version : Girls Equipment

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 08:08
Ok so I try my best to keep out of you ladies hair, but my fiance was an avid hiker back in highschool, but she comes from a boyscout family. She weighs about 110 soaking wet and is only about 5'6. Her birthday is coming up in July and I'm thinking about getting her some new gear and getting her packweight down to about 20pnds. Currently she carries atleast 40lbs which isn't good for her back or her morale. I'm getting her a ENO hammock, she loves mine, and planning on sharing a large tarp. I'm wondering though what you as women find neccessary for a hike. From hiking with my 3 sisters and then my fiance I know you all get much colder, and also have more sanitation issues, but is there anything else?

kanga
03-20-2009, 08:16
more toilet paper. that's about it. and like you said, warmth. a nice set of hvywt poly's would be nice. i can't say as i use anything different from a guy really.

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 09:03
Thanks Kanga. Thats what I figured, but wanted to check. It wasn't easy finding a girl who like hiking for weeks at a time, I want to keep her in that mindset.

kanga
03-20-2009, 09:07
if she's that small, make sure she doesn't have clunky boots. i use trail runners, but a lightweight gortex/mesh boot might help. heavy feet suck.

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 09:38
Thats a good point thanks a ton. I should probably take the same advice on the boots. I'm using full leather RedHead hunting boots.

Blissful
03-20-2009, 10:52
Yes, I tend to bring a few more clothing as we are a little more cold blooded that way. A good ligthweight slepeing bag with good insulation. You'll be colder in a hammock, so she needs to realize this and plan accordingly.
I assume you are summer hiking only? This makes a big difference on weight issues as it will be hard carrying only 20 lbs unless it is summer.

Lilred
03-20-2009, 11:02
Lots of wetwipes comes in handy for hygiene. I allot myself 3 per day. What kind of new gear are you getting? I love my ULA pack, if you're looking for a good women's pack. Very lightweight and has thin shouder straps.

skinewmexico
03-20-2009, 12:06
A WM bag and a lightweight pack.

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 12:31
I personally use a WM Summerlite and a ULA Conduit/Circuit. This will be for spring summer and fall hiking only. She isn't very fond of subfreezing temps. I was honestly thinking of using the exact same setup I have for her. She like the idea of a hammock, naps in mine quite often in the backyard, so I was thinking a JRB Hudson River and a JRB Shenandoah so that she can switch them TQ/UQ depending on the temp. ENO single with JRB suspension, and we'll share my MacCat Ultra. As far as a pack I'm thinking a ULA Ohm should work for her. She likes having a suspension pack. I have a Snowpeak 900 and Pocket Rocket we'll share. Other than that, planning on getting her some basics, headlamp, compass, and a poncho or some sort of rain gear.

Mags
03-20-2009, 12:35
Sorry for the intrusion ladies...but I actually have something pertinent to add. :sun

A girlfriend was (is!) very thin as well. Very cold sleeper. The difference that made her enjoy backpacking trips? A good, warm, down bag. You can layer during the day easily. Poly clothing, shells and warm layers are pretty much all the same. BUT, if you have an inadequate bag, the trip quickly becomes miserable. You can't go wrong with a Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering. If you are on a budget, the Campmor brand down bag works well (it is what Stephanie uses and enjoys).

Compass
03-20-2009, 21:56
Never posted here before, but since the rules changed a little....

The JRB Quilts are great. My daughter loves my Rocky Mtn No Sniveler 26oz but a bit warmer than Hudson at 20oz.

mtnkngxt
03-20-2009, 23:00
Thanks compass I remember talking to you about this subject at the MRWHO. I camped across from you.

ishmael86
03-21-2009, 02:07
Hey man:

JRB quilts are great, of course--but if she's only 5'6", why not make some of your own gear? I am a fairly small woman, and find that almost all commercial gear is bigger than it needs to be for me--so I have been making my own. That ENO nest, for instance, will weigh a bit more than what it would weigh to pick up some 1.9 oz ripstop and make her a hammock yourself. You can make it the length and width she will need, and she will think you're extra great for making her something yourself.

Egads
03-21-2009, 08:06
Never posted here before, but since the rules changed a little....

The JRB Quilts are great. My daughter loves my Rocky Mtn No Sniveler 26oz but a bit warmer than Hudson at 20oz.

I second the JRB gear. I love my Nest and Rocky Mountain Sniveler. The RMS is good to twenty (for me) and the Nest is good to forty (for me) without adding a pad. Adding a pad drops the low end comfortable temp another 10* (for me).

My wife's most prized gear is her POE Ether Thermo 6. But since your fiance hammocks, consider the POE Uber High Mountain pad with a JRB quilt http://www.pacoutdoor.com/splash_pdfs/sleeping_pads09.pdf

warraghiyagey
03-21-2009, 09:52
http://snapshot.parade.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=336667&g2_serialNumber=2

:sun:sun:sun:):):)

Blissful
03-21-2009, 14:07
http://snapshot.parade.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=336667&g2_serialNumber=2

:sun:sun:sun:):):)

Knock it off. We ain't bitin'. Go back to your own thread and forum. And take poochie woochie with you....
:D :D