PDA

View Full Version : Help with my Magellan GPS

Jayboflavin04
03-20-2009, 09:04
I have a magellan explorist series GPS and software. 6 months after I bought the unit and software I upgraded to windows vista. I can no longer transfer maps from my computer to unit.
Has anyone gone through this? Were you able to figure out the driver updates ect ect from the support page on magellan.

If no one can help I am willin to sell the unit and software and goodies for $125.00. Great shape!

Unit lightly used
Topo software
Street Nav software
window mount two charging cords and lighter adapter
Lithium battery,

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 09:11
Did this not work?
https://www.magellangps.com/support/faqdetail.asp?faqid=467&prodid=1073

Did you try calling Magellan?
Contact Technical Support by phoneYou may ask a technical support question or request a repair and get a Return Authorization (RA) number by phone. An RA number is required prior to shipping your product to Magellan for repair.USA and Canada:
Hours: Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. PST/PDT
Telephone: 800 707 9971
Response in: English or French
google search on your model and you may find more info

Jayboflavin04
03-20-2009, 10:25
I have spent more than enough time with their support ppl!!!:datz:datz

big_muddy
03-20-2009, 11:16
I have the explorist 210, I haven't used it with Vista, but the software is quite wonky. I use it with XP and it works. I'm guessing that there is a comparability problem and their software doesn't recognize Vista. Since they are going to a new system for their maps, I'm sure they arn't keen on supporting the explorist software anymore. I know my next GPS unit will be a Delorme

Jayboflavin04
03-20-2009, 11:54
you got it bud!!!! I will not buy another magellan product. They have shown me that they will jump ship as soon as there a bump in the road. Their Tech support SUCKS also.

Tin Man
03-20-2009, 12:54
I have the explorist 210, I haven't used it with Vista, but the software is quite wonky. I use it with XP and it works. I'm guessing that there is a comparability problem and their software doesn't recognize Vista. Since they are going to a new system for their maps, I'm sure they arn't keen on supporting the explorist software anymore. I know my next GPS unit will be a Delorme

My old Deloreme doesn't work with Vista. Old is old, Vista sucks, so I wouldn't be so quick to blame the GPS vendors. Too much effort and cost to fix old stuff when they are working on new stuff. That's just what you get with M$hit.

MoBill122
03-20-2009, 21:41
Magellan_Meridian : Magellan Meridian GPS (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Magellan_Meridian/)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=806119

You will get more help in this Yahoo Group than you'd ever dream of getting from Magellan. Its FREE... just join up and ask your question there!

Compass
03-20-2009, 21:42
Do you have an old laptop to transfer the software to that runs XP. Once you load the maps on your memory/SD card(2GB does US easy) then the link up is less important unless you are Geocaching. You can store massive quantities of 1999 point Tracklogs or less on the SD card and retrieve as needed.

I use the Magellan 400 to tracklog the trails as I hike them.

Jayboflavin04
03-21-2009, 00:51
Well!!!! Here is my solution. It wont be as cheap for everyone. I have a friend that works in an IT department and is getting me a copy of windows XP. I am then going to get Windows Virtual PC you can run mulitple OS with a click of the mouse.

Yes I do Geocache...I have an 8yr old boy and he really enjoyed it until.......well I couldnt use my GPS anymore.

Bottom line.....DONT BUY MAGELLAN!!!! Every tech support person I have spoken to has a thick accent. They posted BS fixes to my problems on their website. They should have discontinued the product before the arrival of windows new OS or made plans to continue upgrading the current

buckwheat
03-21-2009, 19:27
Two words:

Garmin. Booya.

Jayboflavin04
03-22-2009, 00:30
I got one word for ya!

Magelapoop!