PDA

View Full Version : mail at kincora and uncle johnny's

mellow
05-25-2004, 22:18
How do I go about getting to the kincora hostel to pick up mail? I have looked at the 'companion' and know the address, and I know it's .2 miles from the trail, but how do I know where to turn off? I know this is a foolish question but I am having a hard time finding the answer. I also would like to pick up at uncle johnny's (although I haven't found the address yet), is it literally right next to the trail? Is it obvious? I'm worried I will just trot right by these two locations and be in a world of trouble. Also, is it rude to just pick up my supplies and just keep on my way without a little contribution? I don't want to offend anyone. Thanks as always.

Deerleg
05-25-2004, 22:48
Can't miss uncle johnny's the trail goes right by it.
Kincora:
If your heading north on the trail just turn left up Dennis Cove Rd and walk up the hill about 1/4 mile . 1st drive on the left pass the horse barn. I don't think they mind you using them as a mail drop, but you will probably want to stay over night at Kincora and Bob ony "suggests" a $4 donation.

A-Train
05-26-2004, 00:29
As a rule of thumb, its always a good idea to offer to pay a couple bucks for a maildrop if you're not staying. 95% of businesses/hostels/outfitters will not expect any compensation, but it's always a nice gesture. Bob at Kincorra will not expect anything and if you ask him he'll probably say "no problem". Hes got a donation box, so if you find his or anyone elses services to be helpful, well throw in a couple bucks!

You won't have problems finding either place, they are fairly obvious. Especially Johnnys, you must go right past his door.

Jack Tarlin
05-26-2004, 09:38
Mellow---

At the Dennis Cove Trailhead, there's an un-missable sign that says "Kincora". As others have said, go left, follow the road for a dfew minutes; on the left side of the road, you'll see a mailbox that says "Kincora" on it.

Bob will not expect you to pay for having your mail held, tho you'll probably want to stay there anyway.

The Nolichucky Hostel (Uncle's Johnny's) is visible from the Trail and is also difficult to miss seeing. I do not know his policies regarding mail; historically, he hasn't always bent over backwards to help folks that aren't staying with him, but hopefully, this sort of thing belongs in the past. Like anywhere else, if it turns out you're NOT overnighting there, you should probably offer a couple of dollars as thanks for having your mail held; I have no idea whether or not this offer will be accepted, but it's a nice thing to do in any event.

Jaybird
05-26-2004, 10:56
How do I go about getting to the kincora hostel to pick up mail?............................................. ........ Thanks as always.

YO Mellow

the trail crosses over DENNIS COVE Road(USFS 50)...there you take a left & walk to Kincora Hostel which is on the left...according to the A.T.Data book 2/10 of a mile from trail....(i think its a bit longer)...make sure you write on your mail: "hold for hiker (name goes here).

Bob & Pat Peoples own/run the hostel...which has been "voted" the friendliest on the trail for several years in a row....the Peoples are great folks....& provide shuttles into Hampton & no extra charge...(but do leave a donation!).

i'm always like a "kid @ Christmas"...with mail drops...(even though i'm the one that shipped the pkg!)

...speakin' of hostels...i wonder if ELMER is STILL PISSED @ me?

happy hikin'! :D

Twofiddy
05-26-2004, 19:21
Hike into ERWIN,

Stop at Uncle Johnny's and buy a Soda,

Wait for ride from Miss Janet on the front porch,

Goto Miss Janet's House to stay,

Goto Drug Store for new roll of film,

Get ride with Miss Janet back to Uncle Johnny's to pick up mail drop.

Pick up other hikers along the way,

Give one of them your camera loaded with film and you will get some great photos of a guy pissed off that you did not stay at his hostel.

He will be so pissed in fact that he will tell you that the only way that you can have your mail is to pay for a room.

He may run out side and chase Janet with a ball bat.

This is why the camera is so important!!

GOOD LUCK!:banana :banana

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 19:47
It seems from my visit to Erwin this year that Uncle johhny will be taking some time away from the hostel as he has hired a couple of nice hikers (who I spent the evening with at a snow bound mollie's ridge shelter) to run the place....this should make visting the Nolichucky Hostel a more pleasant experience for some hikers.

I did notstay at Uncle johhny's or Ms. Janets this year as I was treated to a stay at the FERAL SNOWMAN'S home and received transport by GARCIA. the Erwin Burrito was fantastic as Always. Jerry Garcia lives..keep om trucking...

(om is not a mispell)

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2004, 10:17
Gee, I'm glad the present caretakers at Johnny's are "nice" folks.

Too bad these nice folks have been telling quite a few hikers recently that Janet's was full or closed, when in point of fact, neither was true.

One hopes that this information was passed on by mistake or out of ignorance, because if this were not the case, this is NOT something that "nice" folks do.

Trail businesses should stop interfering with operations of other businesses....it reflects very poorly on the place doing the bad-mouthing, and hikers can see thru this nonsense from a mile away. One had hoped that this was over and done with in Erwin, but evidently, this is not the case.

In short: As of this writing (27 May), Janet's is open. She may close for a period this summer, but this will not be for awhile. Any questions or doubts, you can call her at 423-743-1932. If anyone tells you she's full or closed, you should check it out for yourself. If this information comes from another Trail business, you should definitely take it with a grain of salt. And if another Trail business insists on telling hikers untruthful things about other Trail businesses, well, they should be ashamed of themselves. This is not the sort of thing that "nice" people do, and if anyone thinks that this sort of behavior is likely to improve either their business or their reputation, they are very much mistaken.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 10:38
Just skip ERWIN and head on to the GREASY CREEK FRIENDLY...

yea Jack those hikers running Johhny's place seemed pretty nice to me...
seems that Johhny is taking some time off to handle his diabetic sugar problem, or to sober up.

WORK RELEASE???....me work????..who are you kidding???? :D

if I were going to work I'd take over Johhny's ..but I don't plan on working anytime soon ..unless it is with Bob Peoples and some trail work!

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2004, 10:52
Steve---

You wanna skip Erwin, well that's up to you.

I think it's a great Trail town, it's friendly, it's got everything you need, and it's easy to get in and outta town.

It also has, in Miss Janet's House, one of the great hiker hostels of the Trail, and people would be crazy to miss it.

But if you wanna skip Erwin, Steve, that's entirely up to you.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 11:05
well I didn't skip Erwin this year Jack...Jerry GARCIA was lying in Uncle Johhny's hammock and we got us a cold drink from johhny's vending machine and then garcia gave us a ride to town to pick our package and a stop by the burrito and then up to the FERAL SNOWMAN's house for the night including homemade pizza. we were planning on staying at Janet's but it was very busy and crowded.

we had a great time and then stopped at greasy creek friendly too....

gravityman
05-27-2004, 11:34
Steve---

You wanna skip Erwin, well that's up to you.

I think it's a great Trail town, it's friendly, it's got everything you need, and it's easy to get in and outta town.

It also has, in Miss Janet's House, one of the great hiker hostels of the Trail, and people would be crazy to miss it.

But if you wanna skip Erwin, Steve, that's entirely up to you.

Easy to get into and out of? We must have had a bad day... We had a HARD time getting to the grocery store and back to the trail in 2001.

Maybe we were on the wrong road... Even my wife couldn't score us a ride! :)

Gravity Man

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 11:44
did you see the poster by johhny's payphone ....he brags of all the trail legends that have stayed there...the sign says BJ has stayed there 4 times..

Lone Wolf
05-27-2004, 11:46
hehehehehehehe :D I've never stayed at Johnny's or Janet's. I always stay at the campground on the river. Hostels suck.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 11:53
hehehehehehehe :D I've never stayed at Johnny's or Janet's. I always stay at the campground on the river. Hostels suck.

I think that sign said our buddy Warren Doyle stayed there also.

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2004, 12:23
Steve--

You're right. I have stayed there several times in the past, which means I'm competent to discuss the subject. It is partly because of things I witnessed there that I no longer stay there.

I have not patronized or even set foot here since 2001 for any number of reasons. Nor do I intend to stay there anytime soon.

I do not appreciate my name, likeness, or anything else being used in an advert for a commercial enterprise, especially when this was done without request or permission. I especially don't like this when the use of my name is done in an attempt to advertise or promote a business that I do not wish in any way to be associated with.

I have never used my name, likeness, or reputation to be used in order to promote, push, or endorse a commercial business on or near the Trail, and if I were ever to do so, it is extremely unlikely that this place would be on the list.

It is unfortunate that this poster/ad is still on display or has been displayed recently, here or elsewhere. I assure anyone that has seen it, or who may see it in the future, that my inclusion on a promotional advertisement for this business was done without my knowledge, permission, or approval, and I urge folks to ignore it.

For someone to use my name or hiking history to promote their business without providing equal space as to why I longer patronize the business is dis-ingenuous, to say the very least.

Yes, I stayed there on several occasions in the past. But no longer.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 12:36
Jack,

I have stayed at johhny's several times also...even though johhny doesn't mention it on his poster...including stays after 2001...guess that makes me competent to discuss recent changes at johnny's...

the poster doesn't say that you endorse or approve of Johhny only that you stayed there 4 times...which I understand is true....truth in advertising is important.

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2004, 13:52
Steve---

You're entirely missing the point, and I don't really feel like debating this.

However: I'm not disputing that I patronized this place in the past. But I haven't done so in years, and have no expectation of doing so again in the future. In fact, the last time I stayed there, in 2001, I actually PAID someone good money to get me the hell outta there, and to drive me elsewhere.

For this place to use my name and reputation to help promote their business, without telling the entire truth about my present relationship with the business---which is none whatsoever---is hardly reputable, and hardly constitues "truth in advertising."

I have no formal connection with this place, nor do I want one. If my name appears on any of their promotional literature, it is NOT being done with my approval or permission, and I hope people who see this poster realize this. I do not wish to help promote or advertise this place, and in fact, resent being put in this situation; it should also be noted that the late Earl Shaffer also took a very dim view of his name, likeness, or reputation being used to promote commercial enterprises, and to my knowledge, he never permitted this. The fact that this place is using Earl's good name AFTER the man's death when he can't do anything about it is pretty shabby, in my opinion, as I can't imagine Earl wishing his name to be associated with a place that has generated so much controversy, and so many complaints. As for the other folks whose names adorn this poster, I wouldn't presume to speak for them; perhaps they don't know about this; perhaps they don't care. Perhaps they welcome the publicity, who knows?

I can't speak for them. But I can speak for me. The fact that my name is being used to help promote this business is distressing and distasteful, and if it continues, I'll regrettably be forced to be more vocal and forthcoming as to why I object to this use of my name.

I'm not in the habit of making public endorsements of commercial businesses on the Trail---first off, it's not something I'm interested in doing. Secondly, the whole thing is ridiculous, as I'm not entirely sure what, if anything, my "endorsement" is actually worth. But I assure Steve and everyone else that if I WERE in the habit of plugging Trail businesses and service providers, at present, this particular establishment would NOT be on my list.

I trust this concludes this matter.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 13:59
all the poster says Jack is that you stayed there 4 times..which is true.

Jack Tarlin
05-27-2004, 14:21
Jeez, Steve, either you don't read very well, or I'm crediting you with a bit too much intelligence.

For around the 9th time, Steve, nobody is disputing the wording of the advert. But you're missing the whole point here, either deliberately, or out of complete obtuseness, I can't really tell.

The ad is dis-honest, as I've explained. It is using my name, and the names of several other well-known hikers, in such a way so as to convince readers that this is a good place: People see well-known names; they see that well-known people have stayed there multiple times. They conclude that this must be a good place to stay. The ad doesn't mention that I no longer stay there; it doesn't mention my reasons for feeling this way; it doesn't mention that I've been fairly outspoken on this subject before. To merely state my name and the times I've frequented the place, without including the later information is mis-leading, to say the very least, and THIS is what I object to.

I don't appreciate my name being used dis-honestly in order to promote or advertise this place, and if it continues, I'll regrettably have to become MORE outspoken on why this is the case. Hopefully, this won't be necessary. But for hopefully the LAST time, yeah, I stayed here several times some years ago. I don't stay there anymore, and have excellent reasons for feeling this way. I do not appreciate my name being used to help promote this place, and whether or not the words as stated in the ad are true or not, this is an irrelevancy: The ad is fundamentally dis-honest and implies a positive connection bewteen myself and this place that does not exist. End of story, and hopefully, my last word on the subject.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 14:35
so the first three times Jack..did ya have a good experience the first three times?

(deliberate) :D

Lugnut
05-27-2004, 18:00
For what it's worth, when I stayed at Johnny's (before Miss Janet opened - in fact she was shuttling for him) he said anyone was welcome with the exception of Lone Wolf and Beorn. That should be worth some bragging rights LW ! ;)

Lone Wolf
05-27-2004, 21:54
Did he tell you why Lug? I was camped down on the river with a bunch of hikers and had my truck there. A young hiker needed to go to town so I said take the truck. On the way to town he, with 3 others in the truck, pulled into Johnny's parking area and asked if anyone needed to go to town. Johnny comes storming out, red faced and yelling at the poor kid accusing him of stealing shuttle business and threatened to call cops if he didn't move NOW! Hour and a half later the kid comes back and tells me the story. He's upset, doesn't understand. I'm pissed so I drove over there, stayed in the street, he comes out acting "cool" and I told him don't ever threaten a hiker again cuz I will ****** your world up. I meant it. Still do. :cool:

Mountain Dew
05-28-2004, 02:48
smokymtnsteve.... saying that Baltimore Jack stayed there 4 times IS very misleading to many new hikers. Notice how he fails to mention that he didn't stay there after Miss Janet's Hostel opened ? hahahaaa Come on...you totally understand how that is misleading.

I've also heard the new care takers of Johnny's hostel were telling white lies. Most people are saying good things about them I think because they are sly about what they say and tend to not do it often. People that would work for Johnny ??? Well the Apple doesn't fall far from the tree does it ?

Miss Janet would not only let you pick up mail from her hostel without staying there, but would also give you a ride back to the trail with a smile on her face. uumm Be nice enough to give her a couple of bucks as thanks....

Jack Tarlin
05-28-2004, 14:20
The new hikers must be wondering what all of this nonsense is about:

In a nutshell, there's been all sorts of bad blood in Erwin, Tennessee for several years between several hostel owners. This was caused almost entirely by the efforts of a previously operating business to harass, interfere, and make problems for the new place.

It didn't work. In fact, it backfired, and badly.

I could go into this in some detail, but I'd rather not; it's been hashed over to death; there's lots of info on this here on Whiteblaze if anyone's interested. I would really rather NOT go into all this again; instead, I'd rather accentuate the positive rather than the negative, and let this and next year's hikers figure things out for themselves.

I've been around the Trail for awhile now, almost 10 years. There are not many Trail service providers that I either don't know personally, or places that I don't have personal knowledge of from my own experience. I generally refrain from talking about places that I haven't stayed at, and if I do comment on them without having stayed there, I make this very clear, as first-hand knowledge and experience is very important in these discussions.

That being said, I think that Miss Janet is one of the finest people I've met in all my travels on the A.T., that her hostel in Erwin is unique, and that hikers would be crazy to stay anywhere else. All she wants to do is run her own place and mind her own business, without having to deal with other people
(with varying motives), from commenting on her, her business, how she runs it, etc. Janet spends her time and energy taking care of hikers and improving her business.....if other folks followed this model, there wouldn't be a problem in Erwin, and there shouldn't be, either: There are enough hikers going thru Erwin every year to keep at least 2 or 3 places up and running. If people tended to their own affairs, everyone would get along just fine.

The best way for a Trail business or sevice provider to keep, maintain, (or RE-GAIN) the trust and confidence of the thru-hiking community is to run an honest, fair, respectful, respectable enterprise; they should concentrate their time onrunning their own business and taking care of their own guests, and they should pay no attention whatsoever to what their competition is doing. Hikers don't, as a rule, like to be part of inter-hostel or inter-business rivalry and bickering; it's a real turn-off for a lot of people; you cannot succeed in elevating your own business or reputation while attacking somebody else's.

If you treat folks with respect, you get it back. If you treat folks well, then word gets around. If you do not do this, well, word gets around about this, too, and the solution is not to attack or denigrate your competition---the solution is to address problems so that the word-of-mouth coming out of your place is nothing but positive. THIS is what gets hikers to flock to some places, and avoid others.

I had hoped that this year would see a changed situation in Erwin, and it is regrettable that this has not entirely happened. As I've said before, hikers should get informed and then make up their own minds on where they want to spend their time and money.

In this particular case, I can't imagine their decision will be very difficult.

Lugnut
05-28-2004, 16:59
[QUOTE=L. Wolf]Did he tell you why Lug?

No he didn't. I just figured you were a d**khead! :D

A-Train
05-28-2004, 17:07
All the original poster did was ask if it was hard to find these places and 4 different people answered the question.

I thought it was decided we weren't gonna re-hash this BS based on Miss Janets wishes...

smokymtnsteve
05-28-2004, 18:29
All the original poster did was ask if it was hard to find these places and 4 different people answered the question.

I thought it was decided we weren't gonna re-hash this BS based on Miss Janets wishes...

Jack brought it up. He always does..I don't think he likes johhny very much.
but 3 outa 4 ain't bad....mmm me bad sorry!

Jack Lincoln
05-29-2004, 02:42
Mr. Tarlin will always comment on almost anything if he feels that his name might make someone change their mind about something. Look back at all his posts and you will, most certainly, discern that he is using the same wording and phrasing for most all of his missives.

I ran 80, (eighty), of his posts through one program that I use as a Journalist and discovered that Jack Tarlin had copied and pasted in 78, (seventy-eight), of those posts.

These are the facts that I have discovered. Perhaps more might be learned by speaking to Jack by telephone; probably one might find that his personna is quite different when questioning his knowledge straight to his face! Of course, Jack will always dare you to do this; like he always uses the semicolon, I shall too; screw him!

To you Jack. You are a tout! You know what that is and I wish for you to know that I am calling you such.

Use your software and come back here for I do await you with open words.

Most sincerely,

Jack

Lone Wolf
05-29-2004, 05:38
Yo Lincoln. I bet Tarlin can kick your ass at Jeopardy. You're a lout. :p

SGT Rock
05-29-2004, 06:38
I dunno. I have met Jack and he didn't look like a tout, nor did he smell like on either. Unless I am using the wrong definition of that word as you are using it - it seems to have a few.

Jack Tarlin
05-29-2004, 08:21
Actually, Mr. Lincoln, you're quite wrong. I'm fairly computer illiterate, and I don't even know HOW to use "cut and paste." If you doubt this, run any of my posts (you seem to be a big fan as you not only read 'em, but count 'em, too!)) and you'll see that when I quote another post, I NEVER quote whole chunks of it a la the Cut and paste method......I use selective quotes that I then comment on, and not necessarily to change someone's mind, but instead, to illuminate a point, or to point out where I disagree with another poster. I also don't cut and paste my own comments; I may re-write them, or add something I've previously written, but they're all written one at a time. The same way you can skip 'em one at a time, instead of whining about them.

As to your problems with my posts, Mr. Lincoln, you're right---I make some of the same points in different posts: This site has been here awhile and the same issues keep coming up again and again. In some cases, newer posters ask questions or raise points that have been made before; they never saw the original threads. In addition to steering folks towards older threads, we often initiate fresh threads on the same subject. Evidently you don't care for this. Too bad.

It is inevitable, then, that some of the same issues will be discussed multiple times. It is also inevitable that folks, including me, wil lmake the same posts, often using the same language they've used before. So what?

I see, Mr. Lincoln, that you've posted only three times. That's fine. But here's an instructive lesson: If a thread, or a post, or a contributor, doesn't interest you, then don't read these posts. Whine about them if you must, but if you don't like them, then don't read 'em. Pretty simple, no? Another suggestion: Instead of carping about the value of other people's posts, why not contribute something positive of your own?

Lilred
05-29-2004, 08:41
[QUOTE=I ran 80, (eighty), of his posts through one program that I use as a Journalist and discovered that Jack Tarlin had copied and pasted in 78, (seventy-eight), of those posts. [/QUOTE]

One has to wonder about the mindset of a person that would go to such lengths over posts on a website. It still amazes me what this little box will bring out in some people. I think Mr. Lincoln needs to go hiking...

MOWGLI
05-29-2004, 08:41
I've got a suggestion. As you pass near Erwin along the AT, stop in town, stay the campground, one of the hostels, or the Holiday Inn, spend some money in the community, see a movie in the theatre, eat a burrito, smile and say hello to the locals, and behave yourself. It's a nice little trail town.

As for the maildrop, unless I had special needs like meds, I wouldn't send one here. You can get everything you need in town. Save the postage.

Jeffrey Hunter

Jack Lincoln
05-29-2004, 22:10
I hope you didn't take it seriously Jack. Just checking to see if you would bite. You did.

"If you are born to hang, you will never drown, so let that big cat jump."

Best wishes

Jack

Mountain Dew
05-30-2004, 03:52
jack "Journalist" lincoln, "I ran 80, (eighty), of his posts through one program that I use as a Journalist and discovered that Jack Tarlin had copied and pasted in 78, (seventy-eight), of those posts." When you say 80 I think 100% of the people reading your post know what that means so therefore spelling the word eighty is kindof redundant and elementary of such a "journalist" right ? Oh, I don't believe you ran 80 anything through any program. What's the programs name ? Quick ...do an internet search and make up an answer for me. Did you also print them out and keep them in your "Jack Tarlin" file just behind your 8x10 picture of him on Mount Washington. Is it glossy or matte finish ?

jack " Journalist" lincoln, "Perhaps more might be learned by speaking to Jack by telephone; probably one might find that his personna is quite different when questioning his knowledge straight to his face!" Unless you plan on speaking to Baltimore Jack on a camera phone your sentence makes zero sense. I'm not sure you will ever understand what I mean either. That's what happens when people pretend to be something they aren't. Insert FOOT.....begin mumbling....

jack "Journalist" lincoln, "Use your software and come back here for I do await you with open words." What the hell ? USE YOUR SOFTWARE...? hahahahaaaa Don't look directly into the sun because those coke bottle glasses might work as a magnifying glass and really screw up your eyes.

Journalist eh ? In your opinion .....what makes you a "journalist" ? I kept a "Journal" on my thru-hike last year so can I also be a "journalist" ?

This has got to be a Billville person trying to get under Jacks skin....OR maybe Jack will soon have a "roadie" aka groupie the next time he hikes. Funny stuff....

PS, I hope you didn't take it seriously Jack. Just checking to see if you would bite. will you ?

steve hiker
05-30-2004, 04:32
The ad is dis-honest, as I've explained. It is using my name, and the names of several other well-known hikers, in such a way so as to convince readers that this is a good place.
Factually "true" ads can be misleading and deceptive. The most outrageous lies can be told with half-truths and material omissions.

Jack Tarlin
05-30-2004, 09:59
Mr. Lincoln:

I'm glad you so easily find ways to amuse yourself. It must be a great comfort to you.

However, I couldn't help but notice that of your 4 contributions to this website, 3 of them were concerned with me. Is this a healthy thing?

Surely you have something more worthwhile to say here other than to carp about me.

But then, again, maybe you don't.

Pencil Pusher
06-13-2004, 23:08
You're one to talk, Jack. You've made plenty of ill references to Uncle Johnny's in previous posts. As for your name being used... hey cupcake, BJ is just a nickname. I wonder how many other BJ's there were before and after you? So how is it misleading? You stayed there once and decided to come back. You stayed there again and decided to come back. You stayed there again and...

New hikers get this, Jack doesn't like Johnny. Take what he types with a grain of salt.

Skeemer
06-14-2004, 08:27
Geez, what's you're problem Jack Lincoln and Pencil Pusher? It appears BJ is a guy whose life revolves around hiking. When I first met him during my "shakedown" hike in '02 he didn't act like a "know it all." He told me I should attend The Gathering that fall and I would learn a lot there. He was so right. Later, his paper on towns and stops was quite helpful to me in preparing for my thru. And finally his opinions, having hiked the AT over and over, have helped hundreds. He's earned the right his opinion...and like he said, if you don't like him don't read him.

As to this thread, I've heard enough stories about UJ's to know I would not want to patronize this kind of place. And every "new hiker" out there reading these posts will form their own opinion. Reread them and tell me where you'd stay. SMS...I know you're probably just jabbing at BJ...but, for his good name to be used that way is misleading and not right.

And finally, this is a forum...a bunch of people interested in sharing their opinion on any topic that comes up NO MATTER WHAT IT IS. Some are a little better than others and we thank them for their input...others that just piss and moan...well, have a nice day.