PDA

View Full Version : Hiking for Charity

Unclegorb
03-20-2009, 10:31
Hey everybody, I just wanted to share this link with you and encourage everyone to spread the word to others who may be interested in donating. We've put a lot of work into the website and thought it might inspire some hikers on the forum.

Thanks so much...

http://www.1stepadventure.com

buzzamania
03-20-2009, 10:40
Does any of the 2175 go to administrative costs of running the website or does it all go the Kidney foundation? Thanks.

Unclegorb
03-20-2009, 10:43
EVERYTHING goes to charity. I'm a web designer and built the site in my free time.

jesse
03-20-2009, 10:49
I would only give the money directly to the Kidney foundation. You are probably an honest person, but you are a stranger. I'm not intrested in financing someone else's hike, or stocking up their gear closet. In other words. How do we know that all the money goes to charity.

Freeleo
03-20-2009, 10:51

Unclegorb
03-20-2009, 11:15
Well, becuase I don't need your money...But, the Kidney Foundation and American Heart Association do. This charity was started to benefit our fathers who have been affected by kidney and heart disease. And I can assure you that I would never disrespct my father in such a way, as to use his disease to raise money for my hike (thats pretty low).

So, there really isn't a way to KNOW that all the money is going to charity, but I would say it would pretty stupid for me and my hiking partner to run a "scam" and then post our names and photographs on the website. Not to mention the last 5 months we've spent building and designing the thing...thats a lot of time and effort for only $2,175 dollars.

If you don't feel comfortable donating on my website...then don't. And if you feel more comfotable going to the Kidney Foundation or Heart Association and donating directly, then I would encourage you to do so. But, the thing is most people wouldn't donate their money unless asked to do so...so, i'm just trying to help.

buzzamania
03-20-2009, 11:17
I give money for various causes through my church so I don't give much to any outside organization that I don't know and trust. You should have the Kidney Foundation add you to their sponsorship and special events link to show there is a correlation. I'm a glass half full guy so I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. If what you say is true you are doing a great service and I wish you well. Thru hiking is not an option for me right now. So I am insanely jealous. Good luck with the hike and your cause.

Unclegorb
03-20-2009, 11:21
Well thanks Buzz, I appreciate the kind words.

The Weasel
03-20-2009, 11:30
Uncle ---

Most states, and probably Ohio, have rules - laws - about soliciting contributions for charitable efforts such as yours. Those rules usually include requiring detailed accounting of receipts and expenditures, and filings with a state officer. That can be a lot of work for you.

Let me suggest that you contact your charity - the KF or whomever - and ask them to have a dedicated contribution account for you, so that people can contribute there thanks to your efforts, and everyone knows what has occurred and you don't have to do the bureaucratic thing. You could simply have a link to that on your website.

TW

Unclegorb
03-20-2009, 11:38
We've actually talked to both charities extensively and they're was no issues as long as we transfer the funds directly from our paypal account. And include a detailed list (from paypal) of all donations made.

Don't worry we did our homework...

Nicksaari
03-20-2009, 19:58
when i eventually thru hike, i will do it in memory of my buddy Will Collins, who sadly offed himself this past October- shotgun to the chest cavity. he kind of pointed me west towards the mountains and made me realize that backpacking was SO MUCH better than car camping, which i vehemently deny now, although i know the truth (we all have to start somewhere).
Will was super into the outdoors, and he chose to commit suicide BEFORE the leaves started changing- which still baffles me as to why he didnt wait until the leaves were gone.

sorry, i had to share this anecdote, which is completely unrelated to hiking for charity.
the proper nomenclature is "hiking in memory" correct?

thanks for the time y'all!