PDA

View Full Version : NC Water Situation

the dragon
03-20-2009, 15:08
Anyone know the state of the water sources at Roan High Knob, Overmountain shelter and Apple House? I think there are some sources in between too. Any information on the general water situation in that entire area would be helpful.

Thanks!

Tennessee Viking
03-20-2009, 15:15
Flowing. No problem at the moment. Summer and Fall might be different.

the dragon
03-20-2009, 15:18
Me and two buds are heading up there 1st of April. It should be good then. Thanks for the quick reply!

Christus Cowboy
03-20-2009, 15:22
Last time I was up there both water sources where flowing pretty good..... I believe the Applehouse source was flowing a little better.... and of course there's the water source at Doll Flats which is a couple of miles before you get to Applehouse.

Tennessee Viking
03-20-2009, 15:53
Last time I was up there both water sources where flowing pretty good..... I believe the Applehouse source was flowing a little better.... and of course there's the water source at Doll Flats which is a couple of miles before you get to Applehouse.Did you see the spring at Doll Flats. Just wondering if the pipe is still there. I installed it in 07, but its usually one of the first ones to get stolen.

Pedaling Fool
03-20-2009, 16:00
Did you see the spring at Doll Flats. Just wondering if the pipe is still there. I installed it in 07, but its usually one of the first ones to get stolen.
Why would someone steal a pipe:-?

Rentman
03-20-2009, 16:08
Why would someone steal a pipe:-?

Hiking POLE..............:eek:

Christus Cowboy
03-24-2009, 17:17
Did you see the spring at Doll Flats. Just wondering if the pipe is still there. I installed it in 07, but its usually one of the first ones to get stolen.

I hate it say it but I believe it was long gone dude..... The one at Moreland Gap was still there though....

Tennessee Viking
03-24-2009, 22:59
I hate it say it but I believe it was long gone dude..... The one at Moreland Gap was still there though....
Thats one spot where its really close to Shell Creek & Elk Park, and locals love to vandalize stuff on trail.

Christus Cowboy
03-26-2009, 15:53
Thats one spot where its really close to Shell Creek & Elk Park, and locals love to vandalize stuff on trail.

Also there appeared to be alot of 4 wheeling in the middle of the night through Doll Flats as well...

Tennessee Viking
03-26-2009, 18:47
Also there appeared to be alot of 4 wheeling in the middle of the night through Doll Flats as well...
Thats all we need now.

Christus Cowboy
03-31-2009, 15:29
Thats all we need now.

Maybe I just better stop posting until I have something better to say... but the four wheeler is something I observed first hand....When I was there I had a 4 wheeler rip through the middle of campsite around midnight and then again around 3am in the morning. I'm not sure if it was the same person or what they were doing up there at that hour but the guys I was with speculated that they may have been coon hunting.

Tennessee Viking
03-31-2009, 15:48
Maybe I just better stop posting until I have something better to say... but the four wheeler is something I observed first hand....When I was there I had a 4 wheeler rip through the middle of campsite around midnight and then again around 3am in the morning. I'm not sure if it was the same person or what they were doing up there at that hour but the guys I was with speculated that they may have been coon hunting.
Sorry for the first hand account. But sounds like the Elk Park forest road is getting too much traffic. Forwarded the info to my maintenace supervisor and he will report to the forest service. Doll Flats has been known to get some traffic. But looks like its getting crazy now.