PDA

View Full Version : Cabins in Georgia/ Tennessee

PecosBackpacker
03-20-2009, 23:18
Hello all

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum. If not, mods please move. My girlfriend and I are looking to get away for a week or so at the beginning of May right when school ends just to kind of unwind before the summer term starts. I pitched the idea of going to the mountains of Georgia or Tennessee. Does anyone know of any good places where we can rent a cabin for the week, pretty far out from civilization, where we can just kind of be secluded and alone, preferably near some good hiking? I really appreciate all your help in advance. Thanks.

Blissful
03-20-2009, 23:25
Maybe in the Smokies area? Lots to rent from in that area I know. Had friends who did it. Maybe do a search online -

sloopjonboswell
03-21-2009, 00:27
pretty good place 1/4 mile south of neel gap, blood mountain at ur doorstep.

Tennessee Viking
03-21-2009, 02:57
Hello all

I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum. If not, mods please move. My girlfriend and I are looking to get away for a week or so at the beginning of May right when school ends just to kind of unwind before the summer term starts. I pitched the idea of going to the mountains of Georgia or Tennessee. Does anyone know of any good places where we can rent a cabin for the week, pretty far out from civilization, where we can just kind of be secluded and alone, preferably near some good hiking? I really appreciate all your help in advance. Thanks.
There are a lot of cabins around Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg, but you will be around all that craziness.

My family and I stayed in a couple places in GA that were great. Around Blue Ridge & McKaysville GA area there are tons of cabins. The one we got was in a private community just outside of town. Blue Ridge Ga wasnt too far. Then it was about an hours drive to Springer. It was like Heartbreak Cabins I think. Only bad thing was that they were very anal on the rental agreement. Every one in the family had to sign a waiver.

We stayed at another cabin outside of Cleveland GA, the rental office was out of Helen, GA. It was called Blue Creek Cabins. It was in the country and away from everything. 10-15 miles outside of Cleveland. Then another 10 or so miles to Helen. Every quick and easy to grab a cabin, and went straight to the cabin, no need to go to the rental office. Its was 20-30 minutes of Neels Gap/Turkeypen Gap, and a number of other trails and state parks.

Helen is a bit of a tourist town. But it does a fun German theme and tubin' seems to be another big thing there.

sloopjonboswell
03-21-2009, 03:19
if u can deal with just a private room, look into helenndorf in helen.. show up with a pack an its $24 a night.

Jim Obermeyer
03-21-2009, 05:08
http://www.richmountainbound.com/vacation.html

Hikes in Rain
03-21-2009, 17:14
One of my favorites. Stayed with them 8 - 10 times, and I'll keep going back. In fact, I'd love to buy one and let them rent it for me. http://www.watershedcabins.com/

FatMan
03-21-2009, 18:02
I'm a bit biased, but I can't think of a better place for hikers and outdoor folk to vacation than Suches.

http://www.suchescabinrentals.com/

hikingbear
03-21-2009, 18:32
Check out Mountain Paws Cabin Rentals. The cabins are located in Blue Ridge Ga and the surrounding areas. I have gone with them a handful of times and love it!! I am actually renting with them in April. Last Spring I stayed in Trout Creek Lodge, thats the name of this particular cabin and it was amazing. Most of their cabins are around hiking trails. Especially the ones located in the Aska Adventure Area.

jb-
03-21-2009, 21:05
I suggest staying away from Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It's all about MONEY in that area. While most of those cabins have nice views, the cabins are separated by 100 yards.

PecosBackpacker
03-22-2009, 02:20
I've looked at a few of these places and they seem a bit pricey. Hanging Rock State Park in NC has rentals for $80/ night, but they say its for families only. I'm not looking for anything fully stocked. Maybe a lamp and a woodburning stove is all I need. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.

Dances with Mice
03-22-2009, 09:10
I've looked at a few of these places and they seem a bit pricey. Hanging Rock State Park in NC has rentals for $80/ night, but they say its for families only. I'm not looking for anything fully stocked. Maybe a lamp and a woodburning stove is all I need. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.Goose Creek Cabins (http://www.goosecreekcabins.com/) are pretty basic - clean heated rooms with bed & shower., but use of their lodge to sit by the fire, watch TV or play pool. I've rented Cabin 4 shown on their website for $30 / nite but don't know the current rates. It's worth giving them a call. You can catch your own trout dinner there too.