PDA

View Full Version : camping on the chatahoochee

sloopjonboswell
03-21-2009, 02:45
as the headwaters start along georgia's at section. can anyone recommend a good place to camp along the C. closer to atlanta?

sloopjonboswell
03-21-2009, 03:41
chattahoochee? camping near kennesaw?

jrwiesz
03-21-2009, 04:38
mustnotgotenoughsleeplastnight :D

Furlough
03-21-2009, 08:48
Ah the Chatahooche. Takes me back to my early days in the Army at Ft Benning for OCS. One of the many silly things we were required to learn was the OCS Alma Mater song: (but I would not call what we did in and around the Chatahooche camping :) )

OCS Alma Mater

Far across the Chattahoochee, to the Upatoi,
OCS our Alma Mater, Benning’s pride and joy,
Forward ever, backward never, faithfully we strive,
To the ports of embarkation, follow me with pride,
When it's time and we are called to guard our country's might,
We'll be there WITH OUR HEADS HELD HIGH, in peacetime and in fight,
Yearning ever, failing never, to guard the memory,
The call is clear; we must meet the task [for] FREEDOM'S NEVER FREE!

Egads
03-21-2009, 09:10
http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/chatcamp.htm a few nice sites, but a bit crowded during summer & fall

MoodyBluer
03-21-2009, 12:43
as the headwaters start along georgia's at section. can anyone recommend a good place to camp along the C. closer to atlanta?

depends on your stealth mode, I think...between where the Chattahoochee crosses under I-285 and down to Highway 41 crossing there are many places to stealth camp...I don't think there is any legal camping anywhere in this corridor, but it's been years since I did this (close to 30 years).

Bulldawg
03-22-2009, 01:27
http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/chatcamp.htm a few nice sites, but a bit crowded during summer & fall

You can get to the AT from this site, but it will take some bushwhacking. This is a great place for car camping with kids. My son and I spend at least one weekend a spring and/or fall there. We fish, hike, sleep, and generally just have a great time.

kanga
03-22-2009, 10:02
are you going to do the run down to st. george/appalachicola?