PDA

View Full Version : Cold Out

eightknots
03-21-2009, 07:34
Its is mid to bottom of 30 deg f, not windy. I have on minus 33 merino mid wt next to skin. It is a "In Camp" setting little movement to temp up. What is a good Next Layer that does not pull my already worn energy level even more toward the bottom of the scale .. Something not so restricting and heavy, please? Thanks you. At this stage cost is a minor problem for staying so so warm. Yes it is a "get your mind right" deal I know :)
ek

mtnkngxt
03-21-2009, 07:43
Down vest, Down Jacket, Marmot Driclime. Could also go with a lightweight fleece and then a down vest if you get really cold. Just my .02. Personally I use a patagonia Down jacket, they now call it a sweater, but its great. Also Western Mountaineering Jackets are awesome.

Egads
03-21-2009, 08:22
Replace the "wet" clothes immediately with dry, add another layer with hat & gloves, add your rain gear or a down jacket & pants.

I have both the WM vapor, which will keep you warm in these or windy conditions. I use this for low 20*s and below.

I also have the Montbell inner down parka and pants. Great gear, but will only temper the cold at 30* In other words, you will not be warm, but you will not be cold either. This is my preferred hiking warm up insulation (for breaks or camp).

bigcranky
03-21-2009, 09:03
Its is mid to bottom of 30 deg f, not windy. I have on minus 33 merino mid wt next to skin. It is a "In Camp" setting little movement to temp up. What is a good Next Layer that does not pull my already worn energy level even more toward the bottom of the scale
ek

A down jacket, preferably with a hood. The Montbell UL Down Inner series is the lightest, but may not be quite warm enough by itself. (Depends on the user.) The Montbell Alpine Light series might be better. Patagonia makes a similar jacket, as do other manufacturers. If you have serious cash, Western Mountaineering makes some *very* nice clothing. Synthetic jackets like the Patagonia Micropuff work well here, too.

If I *know* that temps won't get below the mid-30s, then I'll be mostly happy with a very light down vest under my Marmot Driclime jacket. But the down jacket is a safer bet.

Here is a link to something a wrote last year about winter layers. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=487795&postcount=16)

The key is to choose layers that work well together, and are appropriate for the season. In winter, I take my big down jacket. In March I take my light down pullover. In summer I take (at most) my 4.5-oz down vest.

Blissful
03-21-2009, 14:02
I carried a down jacket until May. My son had a Moonstone synthetic (I think they are out of business though). A Montbell jacket would work too or one of those puff jackets from Patagonia.

Legs for camp I used a polartec mid weight fleece pant.

eightknots
03-22-2009, 08:20
Got it going on.. Thanks you all for the advise. I will conform at best. My M/cycle (which is what I will Pack Out on) riding suit has a zip out liner, top and bottom made my Chino's for Olympia MC Ware. Top and Bottom quilts for my Hammock broke the bank so I hope the MC zip deal works well. New EEEE ultra lite boots on order.. If you have a wide foot, look out.. hard to find any that do not weigh a ton ea..:) OK again thanks
ek