PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike - Harper's Ferry to infinity and beyond!

Ch4d
03-21-2009, 15:26
I was looking at starting a section hike north bound. I'm looking at 5 to 6 days in the woods, I generally roll about 20 miles a day. I'll be starting in Harper's Ferry, WV.

I'm curious of things to look out for, I'm also curious around what trail towns will I be after about 100 miles north of Harper's Ferry. Will I make it close to Harrisburg, PA?

Also this section hike I'll be bringing my father. This is his first section hike. Any advice I should give him? I think he wants to do a minor amount of trout fishing too. Any idea if he'll have any opportunity?

Any advice will be good. Including water availability toward the end of April, weather, temperatures.
Thank You,
Chad

Cookerhiker
03-21-2009, 15:39
I was looking at starting a section hike north bound. I'm looking at 5 to 6 days in the woods, I generally roll about 20 miles a day. I'll be starting in Harper's Ferry, WV.

I'm curious of things to look out for, I'm also curious around what trail towns will I be after about 100 miles north of Harper's Ferry. Will I make it close to Harrisburg, PA?

Also this section hike I'll be bringing my father. This is his first section hike. Any advice I should give him? I think he wants to do a minor amount of trout fishing too. Any idea if he'll have any opportunity?

Any advice will be good. Including water availability toward the end of April, weather, temperatures.
Thank You,
Chad

100 miles (20 mpd for 5 days) from HF gets you to Boiling Springs. If you push to over 20 miles per day for 6 full days, you'll reach Duncannon which is better logistically than Boiling Springs, i.e. more accessible to Harrisburg.

I'll take you at your word that you can hike 20 mpd from the onset but you need to ask yourself if that's a realistic pace. Could your father hike at that pace even if he wasn't fishing? And if he does find a place to fish (other WBers can help you there), I don't see how you can hike 20 mpd, even on a relatively easy stretch.

I think water will plentiful in late April. Nights should be warm enough for a 3-season bag but bring a light fleece to wear at night or in the sleeping bag if necessary.

For descriptions of the trail towns and the mileage chart, consult the on-line Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn/wv-pa09.pdf). The on-line version is the 2008 edition. Contact the ATC (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805859/k.BFA3/Home.htm) to order the 2009 version. Good hiking!

jamarshall
03-21-2009, 15:58
Good trout fishing near Boiling Springs, PA - Yellow Breeches Outfitter right next to the AT can give you details. Seems like there were some decent streams near Pine Grove Furnace too.

emerald
03-21-2009, 16:02
I don't have great expectations for the outcome of your hike, but then I don't know you, your father or your capabilities.

If you have experience enough to know you are capable of your proposed activity, you probably don't need our advice. I don't assist people who fish illegally without a proper license or violate other laws designed to protect Pennsylvania's fisheries.

I'd need to know more about you and your intentions before I'd help you.

Blissful
03-21-2009, 19:41
Your dad's gonna do 20 miles too right off that bat? jeepers creepers. I wouldn't. No way. What fun is that anyway? :)