PDA

View Full Version : Straight Forward: Who needs to stop posting and go hiking?

SGT Rock
03-21-2009, 15:58
It is that time of the year again. Spring...

And one thing is obvious on WhiteBlaze.

Some people need to stop posting and go hiking. They are getting bent up by the Internet. It is the Internet, it ain't real. Some folks take this stuff too seriously. They start pole vaulting over mouse turds.

So, diagnose yourself. Who needs to turn off the CPU and put on the pack?

hopefulhiker
03-21-2009, 16:04
I do!

Bulldawg
03-21-2009, 16:10
I'm gonna get in a few nights next weekend.

bigcranky
03-21-2009, 16:12
Just got back. It was great. Need to go for another one.

dixicritter
03-21-2009, 16:13
Me too as soon as I can.

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 16:13
i hiked to Food City today and all around town for a total of 3+ miles. now i will post the rest of the nite

Slo-go'en
03-21-2009, 16:18
I do, but I can't leave for my spring time AT hike until after my next dental appointment April 7th. Bummer. I did walk down to the river and back, about 2 miles today - a little chilly but not too bad for the second day of spring in these parts!

saimyoji
03-21-2009, 16:22
maybe hooch can write us all a scrip for the next couple weeks.

garlic08
03-21-2009, 16:31
Sounds like we all do. Mags and I are joining Pickle next week in Tucson and hitting the AZT north from the border for a week or so.

UnkaJesse
03-21-2009, 16:38
I nominate myself.

SGT Rock
03-21-2009, 16:41
I nominate myself too. I'm going in 3 weeks.

4eyedbuzzard
03-21-2009, 16:46
I nominate me too. Too much corn snow/too muddy here yet though for my tastes.:( And lots to do around the house.

May 7 - 22 I'm off. If it's dry here in early May like last year I'm going out for a week locally. If it's still wet/muddy I may head down to PA or SNP.

:-? First time I've every considered moving a thread OUT of "Humor".;)

jlb2012
03-21-2009, 17:16
2 more weeks

mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

fehchet
03-21-2009, 17:18
I walked 2 miles to catch an early bus this morning (5AM) {actually I do this 5 days a week.} Then a 2 mile run to catch a bus home.
I do need a hike as well and Snowbird Season will soon end, so...... I figure if I start off in Erwin on May 4, I should be able to make "Trail Days" with a day or 2 to spare. Plan to stop and see Cee Cee at the Greasy Creek Friendly. Yes, I know I'll be there the first night. I'm stopping to see a friend and see what the place looks like -- it has been a few years since I spent a week there doing some repairs.
I'll probably lugg enough food from Greasy Creek to get me to Damascus so I don't have to fool around with going into Hampton.
Sounds like fun.

peanuts
03-21-2009, 17:48
me, me,me, i need to go on a hike......hoping at my next follow up, doc will give me and ok for an over niter.....and to drive....:sun

ed bell
03-21-2009, 17:55
My gut says go.:sun

bigmac_in
03-21-2009, 18:04
Good thread Rock - I know I need to get out. Next weekend I hope. You're right, I think there are a lot of people on the list.

Feral Bill
03-21-2009, 18:07
ME! spring break soon

Jaybird62
03-21-2009, 18:12
I certainly do....Was finally getting healed up from a torn MCL in my left knee, when someone decided to run a redlight, hit my truck and flip me over.:mad: Now i gotta wait until my back heals up.....Oh well Life goes on!:sun

Kanati
03-21-2009, 18:23
So, diagnose yourself. Who needs to turn off the CPU and put on the pack?[/quote]

I almost quit posting because someone was deleting my post.

I'll try one more.

ME TOO!!! I definitely need to stop working so much and hit the trail.

Hoop
03-21-2009, 18:27
April 1 from Blue Ridge Gap north to NOC.

Bulldawg
03-21-2009, 18:33
April 1 from Blue Ridge Gap north to NOC.

Sweet hike!!

SouthMark
03-21-2009, 18:48
Well actually going to the Okefenokee next week for a paddling trip (hiking for the arms).

clured
03-21-2009, 18:58
Me. 65 days until I graduate from college, 67 days until the PCT.

camojack
03-21-2009, 19:07
Speaking strictly for myself (since I can't speak for anyone else anyway) I'm limited to posting and reading posts for the time being.
(Since I'm working 7 days/week at the present time. :()

After this month though, I'll have weekends to myself, and I'm contemplating hitting the trail Memorial Day Week... :banana

SunnyWalker
03-21-2009, 19:09
Does power walking (5 miles each time) twice in a week and then slow walking 2 miles rest of the days qualify?? :-) Getting ready for a big hike on March 29. Bataan Memorial Death March (Marathon) at White Sands NM. Comon' and join me.

Christus Cowboy
03-21-2009, 21:04
Great thread Sgt.... I definitely need to stop typing and start hiking..... Thankfully that problem will be addressed when I do a 55 miler in Nantahalla National Forest first week of April...:banana

Tilly
03-21-2009, 21:19
:banana
This deserves the dancing banana.

I need to stop perusing WB!!!! ME ME ME!!!

Cause I'm leaving on the train through South Bend tomorrow! I'll be in GA in Tuesday to start hiking north!

Woot!

Lilred
03-21-2009, 21:19
Nobody needs to get out and hike more than me right now. Can't do anything till school is over. Last day is May 22nd. I'll be on the trail on the 25th. GAWD!!! That's over two months!! Spring break in Key West will have to hold me over till then. I'll go to the southernmost point and hike a section of the Florida trail. It starts there doesn't it?

Lilred
03-21-2009, 21:21
:banana
This deserves the dancing banana.

I need to stop perusing WB!!!! ME ME ME!!!

Cause I'm leaving on the train through South Bend tomorrow! I'll be in GA in Tuesday to start hiking north!

Woot!

That deserves two bananas :banana:banana

Have a great Hike!!

rjohns94
03-21-2009, 21:25
I certainly did. I sectioned the AT today from Pen Mar to Caldonia. 17.9 miles. I saw about 6 groups going sobo and two group nobo. I met one group in the hollow by the stream in Pen Mar who were still moving around with Breakfast so I don't know which way they were going. There was a frost in Pen Mar when I started, 29*. The one nobo group I saw was at antietam creek shelters and were heading out as i walked past. They caught up with me as I ate a bagel at tumbling run shelters. I got back on the trail just ahead of them was the last I saw of them. At Buzzards Peak I saw a group of 5 heading North. After taking in the sights at the peak with a group of boyscouts, I caught up with the nobos at the power lines. They were easy to tell I was coming on them because one guy had what must have been a huge 2 gallon pot hanging and clanging off his pack. What really struck me today was the lack of wildlife along the trail. I saw one deer, one redtail hawk, within the first 2 miles of the hike. I heard a few crows but that was it. No rodents, no birds, no nothing. very very strange. Looks like a reroute south of Caldonia about 2.5 miles out. Other than that, it was awesome to be out on the trail. Two weeks ago I was out on the tuscaroa trail in Perry county for a warm up 10 miler. I travel to Ethiopia this next week so I will off US trails the next two weekends but will get plenty of hiking in at 9000+ feet there. Then I will be back sectioning PA's AT from Caldonia north. I will throw in Harper's Ferry to Pen Mar to shake it up. Happy Hiking out there

Serial 07
03-21-2009, 21:27
hittin' the trail saturday!

CowHead
03-21-2009, 21:34
mooooooooooooooooooooo!

saimyoji
03-21-2009, 21:39
all this talk of "needing to hike" has me wondering: "why don't people hike more in the winter?" is it because you simply can't get the time? aren't motivated to make the time? don't have the gear?

i know i prefer winter hiking to summer (fall and spring are nice too, but winter is my favorite). sure you need to be a little smarter, and carry a few extra pieces of gear, but winter shouldn't be an excuse to not hike. i'm talking about day hikes now of course. winter overnights require quite a bit more thought and effort, which i go all out for, but most people should still be able to handle day hikes in the winter.

fiddlehead
03-21-2009, 21:53
I just got back from 2 days hiking on my trail here in Phuket.
My goal was to do ALL that i had completed in sections so far.
For those of you who don't know about it, i am designing a hiking trail here and it is mostly in the jungle, about 25% bushwhacking, very steep climbs (as there is no trail yet and Phuket is very mountainous)

Anyway, here's what i found out: I am not in the shape i thought i was in.
I have been walking 10 mile days (flat) to get ready and set out 3 days ago.
The first day started with a 3,000 foot climb and it was hot. Then it started raining. Then the bugs came out. Whew. I was tired but really couldn't stop. I walked till dusk. 15 miles total. I was whupped.
Day 2: started out with a 1,000 foot climb which i took slow and steady and felt good. Then it started raining again. (rainy season is just starting here)
Once again, i kept going as there is no place to stop.
Was fine until the bushwhacking got really heavyduty (thick vines entrapping all parts of my body and pack on steep grades sometimes)
Got to wondering *** i am doing this for.

Then the sun came out and i came upon a family of rubber tree workers who invited me for some food and water and rest. 3 small kids, Mom and Dad. My Thai isn't great but i spent a wonderful hour with them.

Headed back out and was just exhausted (was it the rice and chicken i ate?) totally exhausted.
I got to the next road and hitched a ride home. Now i am sore, tired, cut up all over, and ready to write up a 2nd draft of a guidebook.

In conclusion, I wish i would've waited until i built myself up to 20 miles a day before attempting this. I didn't realize i might not be able to stop and had to keep on going. It wore me down.

So, whiteblaze has lots of controversy again aye?
If people would hike more and cyber hike less, things would definitely be better.
(and less moderation if i can put in my opinion on that score)

sheepdog
03-21-2009, 22:02
you mean.......people really hike .....

wow......inna woods an stuff....

i had no idea.......

theres like bugs an snakes........

maybe......

what if my new stuff gets dirty....

Roots
03-21-2009, 22:33
hittin' the trail saturday!

See ya out there!! We start Friday at Springer to the Bash and then I'm off to Damascus!! YIPPIE!!!

Alligator
03-21-2009, 22:35
Fri 3/20/09.

Roots
03-21-2009, 22:44
Fri 3/20/09.

I've always wanted to build a fire pit in my yard too!

warraghiyagey
03-21-2009, 22:49
Jennfrick and I hiked Monadnoc in New Hampshire today. . . It was. . . . awesome. . . :sun:sun:sun

Alligator
03-21-2009, 22:57
I've always wanted to build a fire pit in my yard too!That's my basement. Here's the piped spring I fixed up down there this morning as well.:rolleyes:

Spirit Walker
03-21-2009, 23:12
I think part of my cabin fever comes from watching all the thruhikers heading out and knowing that right now I'm not one of them. Aaargh! We are stuck in Maryland until May, waiting for a family wedding we have to attend. It is hard to see people heading to the AT, the FT, the AZT and the GET. I wish it were me. However, we're hiking a little every day, hoping to get Jim's new knee strong enough to go backpacking this summer. It's a long slow process, but we're making progress. Soon we get to put on packs and see how well the knee holds up to carrying weight. If not, you'll really be telling us to go take a hike ;-)

camojack
03-22-2009, 00:35
all this talk of "needing to hike" has me wondering: "why don't people hike more in the winter?"
Ummm...'cause it's freakin' cold? :confused:

I do hike in the Winter; in Hawaii... :sun

I've always wanted to build a fire pit in my yard too!
OH!!! :rolleyes:

freefall
03-22-2009, 02:32
That's my basement. Here's the piped spring I fixed up down there this morning as well.:rolleyes:
You got blueprints for building that? I live in the basement and would love to add a "natural water feature."

Laid off in Jan and going to school/ looking for work now. Plus Colorado has had a wacky winter and the snow pack is questionable. Plan on hitting the CT this summer if not hired before then and look for work while I'm hiking.

freefall
03-22-2009, 02:33
i hiked to Food City today and all around town for a total of 3+ miles. now i will post the rest of the nite
We need a trip report and pictures!:sun
Great to see you up and around!

chiefduffy
03-22-2009, 04:44
I know I need some hiking. Actually, I was hiking on the FT yesterday when this thread started. 8 miles or so along the Suwannee with a full AT pack. My excuse: training for my section this year Erwin>Trail Days! See ya out there Fetchet!!

Maddog
03-22-2009, 05:56
amen, brother...amen!

mweinstone
03-22-2009, 06:29
i would kill to hike a thru.im ready now. i could leave in eleven minutes if only i had a lucrative art deal with the luve.

Lone Wolf
03-22-2009, 06:33
takes a lot more than money

saimyoji
03-22-2009, 08:32
Ummm...'cause it's freakin' cold?

pussy

Alligator
03-22-2009, 08:55
You got blueprints for building that? I live in the basement and would love to add a "natural water feature."

Laid off in Jan and going to school/ looking for work now. Plus Colorado has had a wacky winter and the snow pack is questionable. Plan on hitting the CT this summer if not hired before then and look for work while I'm hiking.I'll post the final design once the flooding is contained.

the dragon
03-22-2009, 09:31
April 1st for me. Hughes Gap to 19E. Heading up and over Roan, Yellow Mtn, and the Humps... freakin stoked!!

warraghiyagey
03-22-2009, 09:48
i would kill to hike a thru.im ready now. i could leave in eleven minutes if only i had a lucrative art deal with the luve.
Maybe you can get a ride from Evil Capitalist. . . :)

Homer&Marje
03-22-2009, 09:54
Just got back from an overnight yesterday. 4 miles in and a 4 mile run out yesterday morning so I could get to work. Nothing like running at sunrise in the New England woods though...it was really nice.

Leaving 4/2 - 4/6 and we are going down to CT or PA for a few days. Don't know where or if we'll put too many miles in but we're on the trail somewhere for 3 or 4 days.

warraghiyagey
03-22-2009, 09:57
We climbed Monadnoc in NH yesterday. . . lots of clean up still to be done there from the Dec. ice storm and they aren't ready for evernight campers there yet.

Homer&Marje
03-22-2009, 10:05
We climbed Monadnoc in NH yesterday. . . lots of clean up still to be done there from the Dec. ice storm and they aren't ready for evernight campers there yet.

How is the Northern section of the Wapack trail doing? I wanted to go up and finish the last 4 miles of it through Miller State Park in a few weeks if I can.

warraghiyagey
03-22-2009, 10:09
How is the Northern section of the Wapack trail doing? I wanted to go up and finish the last 4 miles of it through Miller State Park in a few weeks if I can.
My guess is the trail is hikeable but be on the lookout for widowmakers and lots of debris. That ice storm really took the treetops off all through southern NH.

Homer&Marje
03-22-2009, 10:28
pussy

That should be posted in the Womens Issues Forum. Get it right:D

My guess is the trail is hikeable but be on the lookout for widowmakers and lots of debris. That ice storm really took the treetops off all through southern NH.

I was thinking that was the case. I did a roof estimate up in Westminster Ma. They were "the hardest hit" by the storm. Place was a HOT MESS! And that was 3 months after the storm. So I think that's a good advisory for those that might be coming to NH or Northern MA that there is probably a lot of widowmakers and dead stuff ready to fall...

Smile
03-22-2009, 10:46

neighbor dave
03-22-2009, 11:04
me and the little birdie were here yesterday.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32222&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

:welcome

Slo-go'en
03-22-2009, 11:21
We climbed Monadnoc in NH yesterday. . .

Used to climb up there often when I lived in Lowell, MA. Usually timed it to be on the summit at sunset. Once walked past a line of people about 3 feet apart on the white dot trail which streached from the parking lot to the summit. Was a fall weekend and didn't notice the 75 tourist buses in the parking lot! I've heard Manadnoc is the second most climbed mountian in the world - belived it that day!

wrongway_08
03-22-2009, 11:31
all this talk of "needing to hike" has me wondering: "why don't people hike more in the winter?" is it because you simply can't get the time? aren't motivated to make the time? don't have the gear?

i know i prefer winter hiking to summer (fall and spring are nice too, but winter is my favorite). sure you need to be a little smarter, and carry a few extra pieces of gear, but winter shouldn't be an excuse to not hike. i'm talking about day hikes now of course. winter overnights require quite a bit more thought and effort, which i go all out for, but most people should still be able to handle day hikes in the winter.

There is no excuse, see PARADE OF FOOLS hikes, if we can manage - anyone can :)

fiddlehead
03-22-2009, 11:40
I've heard Manadnoc is the second most climbed mountian in the world - belived it that day!

And what would be the most climbed mountain?

Egads
03-22-2009, 12:05
Had a hike ruined by alcohol & water yesterday:(, but got to enjoy the stars last night from the wildlife clearing just north of Long Falls. Very nice.:)

Frosty
03-22-2009, 12:30
me and the little birdie were here yesterday.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32222&catid=newimages&cutoffdate=1

:welcomeNice. I see you are heading south. Did you loop by going down the Falling Waters Trail? That must have been exciting, to say the least.

gungho
03-22-2009, 12:37
Had a hike ruined by alcohol & water yesterday:(, but got to enjoy the stars last night from the wildlife clearing just north of Long Falls. Very nice.:)

you must have been hiking with bulldawg:D

Bulldawg
03-22-2009, 13:13
you must have been hiking with bulldawg:D

Alcohol has NEVER ruined any of my hikes. Now, lack of gloves on the other hand, that is a bad thing.

SGT Rock
03-22-2009, 13:15
Only thing that ever ruined one of my hikes was rain - lots of it. Flooded us off the trail. Almost got us at a water crossing. Other than that, anything else could be dealt with.

Homer&Marje
03-22-2009, 13:15
Alcohol has NEVER ruined any of my hikes. Now, lack of gloves on the other hand, that is a bad thing.

Alcohol has never ruined one of my hikes either. Lack of it has though :D

Bulldawg
03-22-2009, 13:20
Alcohol has never ruined one of my hikes either. Lack of it has though :D

I am NEVER at a lack for alcohol. Ask anyone that knows me!

Slo-go'en
03-22-2009, 13:36
And what would be the most climbed mountain?

Mt Fuji in Japan

JWren
03-22-2009, 13:39
I am and maybe even next weekend do an overnight at Cumberland Falls

Bulldawg
03-22-2009, 13:41
Man, relief, just finished Sunday dinner on the deck. What a beautiful day. My brother called right after and says, "HEY LET'S GO HIKING?" He always yells on the cell phone like no one can hear him. So I am heading out in about an hour for a nice leisurely 6 miler that is less than a mile from the house. Sweet hiking loop. I Soooooo needed to get out!

Bearpaw
03-22-2009, 14:03
Got out for a couple of days on the Pinhoti Trail. Had planned on five days, but some previously injured chest muscles flared up badly enough I decided to get off early.

Despite the pain, it was still a great hike. Hoping for a good three days at Mammoth Cave over Easter weekend.

Sleeps_With_Skunks
03-22-2009, 15:15
I wanna hike. I wanna hike......but I'm still not cleared to hike less than 2 or so miles of FLAT PAVED stuff. Three weeks out of the cast and counting. Looks like I won't be having that surgery to repair the two torn ligaments from Thanksgiving weekend after all.

But I am stir crazy from taking it easy and I WANNA HIKE!!!!!

Tin Man
03-22-2009, 15:45
This view is part of a 3 mile loop I like to do right down the road from me. Pic was taken today...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fd2vj3z5SFk/ScaVBWRPuAI/AAAAAAAABBA/8q4vXLOdulM/s640/DSCN0099_1.jpg

Bulldawg
03-22-2009, 17:24
BACK!!!

I feel better. Didn't make the whole 6 miles, the brother (not a hiker) had to bail at a road crossing 4 miles in. The beautiful thing is the house is just about 3 miles away and I picked up the phone and said "Honey, could you please come get us?" She was there in 8 minutes.

Bearpaw
03-22-2009, 17:28
This view is part of a 3 mile loop I like to do right down the road from me. Pic was taken today...

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_fd2vj3z5SFk/ScaVBWRPuAI/AAAAAAAABBA/8q4vXLOdulM/s640/DSCN0099_1.jpg

Awesome route. I have some good ones within 15 minutes here in Nashville, but none with a view that nice.

Bearpaw
03-22-2009, 17:29
BACK!!!

I feel better. Didn't make the whole 6 miles, the brother (not a hiker) had to bail at a road crossing 4 miles in. The beautiful thing is the house is just about 3 miles away and I picked up the phone and said "Honey, could you please come get us?" She was there in 8 minutes.

Now that's service. Any thing blooming yet, or is it still too early in the mountains?

Bulldawg
03-22-2009, 17:37
Now that's service. Any thing blooming yet, or is it still too early in the mountains?

Didn't see anything on the trail. A few redbuds and one or two daffodils. The fruit trees are blooming here at the house but most of the wild flowers on this trail are Asters, which are mid to late summer flowers.

Bearpaw
03-22-2009, 17:40
Didn't see anything on the trail. A few redbuds and one or two daffodils. The fruit trees are blooming here at the house but most of the wild flowers on this trail are Asters, which are mid to late summer flowers.

Redbuds were just starting to pop out on the Pinhoti too. Hoping to get some Larkspur and Spring Beauty in the next 2-3 weeks here in Nashville.

Tin Man
03-22-2009, 17:41

walking past a small bog today, i heard the peepers peeping very loudly

JF2CBR
03-22-2009, 18:40
Flying to Portland on Tuesday.

From there I'll be spending time in Southern Utah, Nevada, and the entire coast of California and Oregon.

Hope to do some amazing hikes!

medicjimr
03-22-2009, 18:41
As soon as I can get out again working next 2 weekends.

saimyoji
03-22-2009, 18:46
walking past a small bog today, i heard the peepers peeping very loudly

spring time brings out all the riff raff.

Tin Man
03-22-2009, 18:52
spring time brings out all the riff raff.

yep, sounds like a lot of us were out there

4Bears
03-22-2009, 18:55
Did 12 this afternoon and it felt great walking thru the woods, the smell of the duff, sound of the spring peepers and plenty of sunshine for my pasty looking skin. I think maybe a few tomorow if I get work on time.

phishpapond
03-22-2009, 19:16
Going on the 27th of March 38 mile on a state trail in PA. Bastards made me rent the shelters and you have to stay the shelter area.

Going back out April 18 to 29 hit the AT

camojack
03-22-2009, 19:30
pussy
No, no, no...that's freakin' warm! ;)

Ekul
03-22-2009, 19:39
Ah crap here comes the yellow months--pollen ftl

Bulldawg
03-22-2009, 22:32
I had to post pics from my hike today since everyone else did!!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/5/4/dsc08616.jpghttp://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/5/4/dsc08610.jpghttp://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/5/4/dsc08612.jpg
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/5/4/dsc08605.jpg
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/5/4/dsc08601.jpg
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/5/3/5/4/dsc08609.jpg

It was a cool hike with my son out in the warm Sunday Spring sunshine.

camojack
03-23-2009, 00:21
I had to post pics from my hike today since everyone else did!!
Everyone else posted pictures from your hike? :confused:

It was a cool hike with my son out in the warm Sunday Spring sunshine.
I like your son's shirt. Go figure, huh? :D

Homer&Marje
03-23-2009, 07:29
Blue Blazin it! Gotta love it.

Summit
03-23-2009, 07:35
April 4th . . . week-long hike . . . can't wait! Leavin' the Internet behind! :)

Yukon
03-23-2009, 07:45
I never stopped hiking, thanks to snowshoes :)

warraghiyagey
03-23-2009, 07:47
I never stopped hiking, thanks to snowshoes :)
You must be tired. . .

jlb2012
03-23-2009, 08:50
I need to stop eating Cheetos ...

Doctari
03-23-2009, 09:17
ME ME ME, OH GOD PLEASE PICK ME!!!! :D

OH,,,
You wern't offering to take one of us hiking. :(

SEE, that just proves I need a hike!

Only 390 more days till my next section hike, Woo Hoo am I ever stoked.

Sigh! :rolleyes:

Yukon
03-23-2009, 09:18
You must be tired. . .

Wakka wakka...lol

Tipi Walter
03-24-2009, 10:56
Only thing that ever ruined one of my hikes was rain - lots of it. Flooded us off the trail. Almost got us at a water crossing. Other than that, anything else could be dealt with.

I've had several hikes ruined by high water but only because I tried to cross a few dangerous creeks. Didn't have to cancel out, though. A bad toothache can blow out a trip, that's for sure.

I just got back from a 12 day trip on March 23 and around Day 9-10 I was engulfed in woodsmoke from a nearby forest fire. On Day 12 I had to hump out and climb around 1000 feet and could hardly breathe for the smoke. Put a paper towel over my mouth. Turns out when I got to my car the fire burned all the stuff ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROAD and it was just luck that it didn't hop over the road to my car.

Ghosthiker
03-24-2009, 20:27
It is that time of the year again. Spring...

And one thing is obvious on WhiteBlaze.

Some people need to stop posting and go hiking. They are getting bent up by the Internet. It is the Internet, it ain't real. Some folks take this stuff too seriously. They start pole vaulting over mouse turds.

So, diagnose yourself. Who needs to turn off the CPU and put on the pack?

I have already been once and going again for a week in May.

Marta
03-24-2009, 22:11
I spent another day at the hospital with my parents. I'd love to spend more time either posting or hiking.

Heck, being at work would be better than this.

Tin Man
03-24-2009, 22:28
I spent another day at the hospital with my parents. I'd love to spend more time either posting or hiking.

Heck, being at work would be better than this.

Sorry to hear that Marta. Keep the faith.

sheepdog
03-24-2009, 22:33
trails are still full of snow. Been road hiking with Blaze the wonder puppy 2-5 miles a day. It helps keep him mellow.

Ron Haven
03-24-2009, 23:04

Heck, being at work would be better than this.Marta our thoughts are with you.Hope your parents will be OK :)

Ox97GaMe
03-25-2009, 21:10
You mean I cant post and hike at the same time??? I have several posts on here from people that are 'supposedly' thru hiking, yet are able to respond several times each day. Apparently, PDAs are becoming more prevelant on the trail. What a sad testiment that is on today's society.

Im going to be out for a few days in April. No electronic devices on me. If you see me out there, I would prefer you not pull out your blackberry and start texting folks. I go to the woods to get away from technology.

johnnybgood
03-25-2009, 21:19
Amen !.... the only blackberries I want to see are the edible ones growing on bushes.