PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn Sutton - Famed moonshiner passes away

Tennessee Viking
03-21-2009, 16:08
Mr. Popcorn Sutton was a famous man of Appalachian Folklore. He was a true mountain man.

Associated Press
Published: March 16, 2009
Authorities say famed Appalachian moonshiner Marvin “Popcorn” Sutton, who was scheduled to go to prison this week, has died.
The bearded, 62-year-old Parrottsville author of the book “Me and My Likker” pleaded guilty in April to two counts charging him with illegally producing distilled spirits and being a felon in possession of a handgun.
Sutton was expected to report to federal prison Friday to serve an 18-month sentence.
The Knoxville News Sentinel reports Cocke County Assistant District Attorney General Brownlow Marsh has not said how Sutton died but that his death is being investigated by authorities.
Sutton’s attorney, Tim Moore, couldn’t immediately be reached for comment. Moore filed notice last month he planned to appeal Sutton’s case to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.

UnkaJesse
03-21-2009, 16:12
Anyone catch the documentary he starred in, "The Last One"? I caught it on the DOC channel.

dmax
03-21-2009, 18:19
I'm suprised that this is the first time I heard of this. I did have a busy week though. My wife had a death in the family also. I will raise a drink to both of them tonight. In memory of popcorn it will be some peach or apple shine. In memory of Jim, it will be a beer.

Lone Wolf
03-21-2009, 18:43
the guy offed himself. some hero

dmax
03-21-2009, 18:55
Who said anything about hero?

Lugnut
03-21-2009, 18:56
That's a lot of trouble to go to just to stay out of jail. :confused:

Slimer
03-21-2009, 19:10
Its amazing and sad that popcorn was sentenced to 18 months for having about 1000 gallons of 'shine........yet many Wall Street crooks served much less than that for stealing millions upon millions of dollars and financially destroying many families.

MintakaCat
03-21-2009, 19:24
Its amazing and sad that popcorn was sentenced to 18 months for having about 1000 gallons of 'shine........yet many Wall Street crooks served much less than that for stealing millions upon millions of dollars and financially destroying many families.

Here's an important line I saw in the AJC story about him that seems to be missing from other reports about him:

"When he pleaded guilty, it was his fifth conviction. He’d gotten probation before, but U.S. District Judge Ronnie Greer said he couldn’t do that again, despite Sutton’s age and physical infirmities."

I hate that it happened, but I think Sutton just pushed his luck too far.

middle to middle
03-21-2009, 21:48
I saw the show and enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed I never came across a still. Popcorn was hard core .

middle to middle
03-21-2009, 21:51
I worked in Louisville Ky. for a time and a lot of people there had a mason jar of it in their drawer.

Tennessee Viking
03-21-2009, 23:10
Anyone catch the documentary he starred in, "The Last One"? I caught it on the DOC channel.It was called Hillbilly: The Real Story. It had Sutton and the Moonshiner story. Miners in WV. Fontana.

I was a shame that he loved his shine more than staying clean.

But just got to love his epitaph "Popcorn said F you"

UnkaJesse
03-22-2009, 08:52
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPuWX7d7yEw

In the actual film he said his smoke was something like 150 proof and if them damned buzzards flew through his smoke, they'd get drunk and fall out the damn sky.

Newb
03-23-2009, 15:19
Growing up around Dahlonega I used to find tons of stills in the woods of Lumpkin County, GA. Some very old, some not so old, some still warm. It was a struggle to keep the apples on our trees when the locals started making apple brandy. We lost a lot of money to the moonshiners stealing them.

Sounds like Popcorn died young for his lifestyle.

JAK
03-23-2009, 15:30
Anyone can make their own illegal booze, but making a living of it is impressive.
There are still a few that do so in Prince Edward Island from what I've heard.

Flush2wice
03-24-2009, 00:00
the guy offed himself. some hero
He went out on his own terms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0i-8lVf3p0&feature=channel_page

Flush2wice
03-24-2009, 00:03
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b5mW2QF6H4

Tennessee Viking
03-24-2009, 00:21
When in heck did Johnny Knoxville interview Popcorn.

gatoraid
03-24-2009, 06:47
RIP Popcorn!!!