PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing a TarpTent?

HikingIllini
03-21-2009, 17:56
I have a Henry Shires Rainbow Tarptent (used once) and the forecast calls for some rain next week. Is it really necessary to seam seal it? :-?

Most of my backpacking is in the southeast so I do experience prolonged rainy days.

I know a lot of folks on WB use Tarptents, so I'm interested in your thoughts on sealing or not sealing. Thanks

Franco
03-21-2009, 18:18
Only if you want to keep the rain outside.
The Rainbow is a bit tricky to seam seal because of the many seals and it needs to have the cross pole section done very carefully. Not difficult, you just need to take your time.
BTW, some opt for a coating, others prefer to let the seam sealer penetrate the stitching. I am with Henry Shires , use his dilution/technique and you will be fine.
http://www.tarptent.com/faq.html (http://www.tarptent.com/faq.html)
Maybe not necessary but I always double or triple coat all of the guyout/tie out points.
Franco

skinewmexico
03-21-2009, 18:29
Triple coated mine, made the last coat thicker, as per Henry's recommendations. When the manufacturer says seamseal before using or it's not waterproof, that should be kind of a hint.

Slosteppin
03-21-2009, 19:18
I've been using a Tarptent Double Rainbow for 2 years now. Before I uswed it in the woods the first time I followed the directions and sealed the seams. Then I went way farther than teh directions. I first sealed the seams inside the tent. Then I sealed on the outside. Then I sealed the inside again and repeated on the outside.

I've slept in my DR in some hard rains and never had any water get inside.

Sslosteppin

wrongway_08
03-21-2009, 19:48
I seem seal all my tents, wether it says they are sealed or not. Sucks to find out they missed that one spot......

take-a-knee
03-21-2009, 20:42
Permatex Flowable Silicone windshield sealant from your local auto parts store beats the heck out of that Silnet crap.

papa john
03-21-2009, 21:39
Permatex Flowable Silicone windshield sealant from your local auto parts store beats the heck out of that Silnet crap.

It does actually work much better. I seam sealed my Packa with this stuff and was amazed at how well it works into the seams. I bought mine at Pep Boys - $4.99 a tube.

skinewmexico
03-21-2009, 21:54

How does it work compared to mineral spirits diluted 100% silicone? Seems more expensive.

Jayboflavin04
03-22-2009, 00:28
I have used the Mcnetts Silnet and the HS dilution method. The mcnets is waaay thick and hard to spread, and dries kinda on the fast side. The silicon/spirits method spreads really nice and evenly, dries slower. I used a chisel tip white nylon painting brush from wally world.

I would say if this is your first time use the HS method.

SouthMark
03-22-2009, 08:15
Just seam sealed my Contrail and my hammock tarp yesterday with Permatex Flowable Silicone windshield sealant. Boy was it easy.

take-a-knee
03-22-2009, 08:17
How does it work compared to mineral spirits diluted 100% silicone? Seems more expensive.

Never tried the silicone/mineral spirits stuff 'cause the permatex is so fuss free. You cut the applicator tip nice and small and apply a controlled bead exactly where you want it. I smooth the bead with a little plumbers disposable flux brush. I get a nice, thin, flexible coating. The Silnet applicator is designed to waste the product so you'll buy more of it.

Buckles
03-22-2009, 08:50
I would seam seal it first, and give it time to dry/harden. In a rush, I took a Squall2 on a weekend outing into the Nantahala Forest without first seam sealing. Regretted that. I have a Squall2 and Double Rainbow, both sealed following Henry's instructions. Like a previous post, 2 light coats, then a 3rd more heavy. Some drying time is recommended.