PDA

View Full Version : Bug protection

JLB
05-26-2004, 13:31
What do you guys use? Does anybody use Skin so soft? What about those small area personal bug devices, does they work? Is a head net a good idea?

Lone Wolf
05-26-2004, 13:34
100% DEET. Skin So Soft doesn't work for s**t. Just makes you smell like a chick.

jersey joe
05-26-2004, 13:41
I would recommend a head net. It will also come in handy while your sleeping in shelters.
Skin so soft and bug spray tend to leave an oily residue and in a non-shower situation I found it easier to do without. Besides, I wound up sweating it off in a matter of minutes anyway.
I've tried one of those sound emitting "small area personal bug devices" and it didn't seem to work at all.

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 13:46
BEN'S 100% deet..it works!

JLB
05-26-2004, 13:48
I would recommend a head net. It will also come in handy while your sleeping in shelters.
Skin so soft and bug spray tend to leave an oily residue and in a non-shower situation I found it easier to do without. Besides, I wound up sweating it off in a matter of minutes anyway.
I've tried one of those sound emitting "small area personal bug devices" and it didn't seem to work at all.
There is a new one that burns a small blue strip with mini gas cylinder. They are available at Wal Mart. I got one as a gift, but need to try it out soon.

jersey joe
05-26-2004, 14:01
JLB,
I'm curious how well that device works. mini gas cylinder...hmmm...You'd be hard pressed to keep the mosquitos and black flies in Maine at bay with a flame thrower.

JLB
05-26-2004, 14:09
JLB,
I'm curious how well that device works. mini gas cylinder...hmmm...You'd be hard pressed to keep the mosquitos and black flies in Maine at bay with a flame thrower.
Here is their web site:

http://www.pestrepellents.com/

The ThermaCell portable, corldless mosquito appliance is great way to protect yourself from biting mosquitoes and black flies. The reusable appliance comes with one butane cartridge and three repellent mats good for up to twelve hours of continous protection (refill kits available below). Just slide in a repellent mat, switch the unit to the on position and push the automatic ignitor. Protects an area 15' by 15' (225 sq.ft.). Outdoor use only.

http://www.worldpromo.com/images/thermacell_gray_115x200.jpg

kythruhiker
05-26-2004, 14:11
JLB: I used to hike with Skin so Soft. Most of the time it was "adequate" for where I'm at in KY, but I've been in areas in SC and areas on the AT where it was pretty much useless against the little blood suckers. These days I'm hiking with 30% DEET - seems to be as effective as 100% DEET, and doesn't take a few layers of skin with it every time it is applied.

See ya in the woods,
Ky Thru

JLB
05-26-2004, 14:14
Sorry, this is their home page:
http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/products_cordless.shtml

That was a retail site before.

The Old Fhart
05-26-2004, 14:34
JLB-"I was going to register there, until his John Kerry banner ad popped up"
JLB, If you are so concerned and upset with Trailplace having political banners, why must you do the same obnoxious thing here? I don't give a damn what you think, keep it off your posting. You are a hypocrite.

JLB
05-26-2004, 14:44
JLB, If you are so concerned and upset with Trailplace having political banners, why must you do the same obnoxious thing here? I don't give a damn what you think, keep it off your posting. You are a hypocrite.

I don't care about political banners, I just don't like people who betray their country. That's why I didn't register at Trailplace. No hypocrisy here.

You are welcome to disagree.

nazdarovye
05-26-2004, 15:10
People betray their country by committing atrocities, abusing prisoners, committing crimes, ripping people off, and sending others to their deaths, not by pointing out these abuses. Some people seem to get this backward.

Meanwhile, I recommend the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus bug lotion - seems to work quite well, and doesn't contain DEET.

Dances with Mice
05-26-2004, 15:21
There are many places on the 'net where amateur political discussions are appropriate.

This isn't one.

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 15:50
JLB: I used to hike with Skin so Soft. Most of the time it was "adequate" for where I'm at in KY, but I've been in areas in SC and areas on the AT where it was pretty much useless against the little blood suckers. These days I'm hiking with 30% DEET - seems to be as effective as 100% DEET, and doesn't take a few layers of skin with it every time it is applied.

See ya in the woods,
Ky Thru

using the 100% deet (which by the way is only 95% deet) vs 30% deet you don't carrry or use as much product

btw I like KERRY.

MOWGLI
05-26-2004, 15:57
Dances with Mice, have you hiked the Georgia Loop again since Youngblood & I saw you out on the Benton MacKaye Trail? I'm talking to the Mountain High Hikers in Ellijay on June 1. They maintain the Duncan Ridge Trail. If you want to attend the meeting, drop me a note at [email protected].

Hey, I think you're wasting your breath about this politico discussion. The guy who posted it is just trying to grab some attention. Earlier today he posted that he owns a machine gun. Another great attention grabbing posting. Look at post #7 above. This guy isn't a backpacker. Ignore him and he'll eventually go away.

orangebug
05-26-2004, 16:31
While it is counter-intuitive, DEET is easier and more effectively applied at 30%. The oily 100% is just too viscous to apply evenly and avoid waste.

While DEET is frightening to some as it is a chemical, there are absolutely no clinical grounds to avoid the stuff. It is the only agent (other than permethrine) thus far proven to reduce insect bites, especially mosquitos. Any risk and inconvenience of DEET pales in comparison to Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and West Nile Virus.

Bill....

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 16:42
While it is counter-intuitive, DEET is easier and more effectively applied at 30%. The oily 100% is just too viscous to apply evenly and avoid waste.

While DEET is frightening to some as it is a chemical, there are absolutely no clinical grounds to avoid the stuff. It is the only agent (other than permethrine) thus far proven to reduce insect bites, especially mosquitos. Any risk and inconvenience of DEET pales in comparison to Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and West Nile Virus.

Bill....

Ok whatever you think...I disagree 100% (95%) is my choice.

but about this Kerry question..you like him?? :D

kythruhiker
05-26-2004, 16:46
My only beef with 100% is that it typically made wherever it was applied red and raw feeling, especially my arms and legs...probably because I was applying too much. I don't know about the weight...I carried the same size spray bottle of 100% as I do 30%, granted had I used a smaller quantity of 100%, the weight difference would have been there over time.

Take care,
Ky Thru who isn't touching the Kerry question with a 10' Leki... :bse

Dances with Mice
05-26-2004, 17:52
Dances with Mice, have you hiked the Georgia Loop again since Youngblood & I saw you out on the Benton MacKaye Trail? I'm talking to the Mountain High Hikers in Ellijay on June 1. They maintain the Duncan Ridge Trail. If you want to attend the meeting, drop me a note at [email protected].

Yes, sir, I did it again a few weeks ago. Carried a small spray bottle of full strength DEET but never used it.

I started at Amicalola this year & went counter-clockwise. Starting at AFSP was a mistake, the Approach Trail to Springer was ok but that same 8 miles downhill to end the hike was no fun.

Funny you should mention the Loop today - I came to a campsite late one day on the DRT & couldn't find a place to pitch my tent. All of the flat sites were full of blooming Ladyslipper Orchids! Fortunately I have a Megalite floorless tent, I had to set up over one and slept on the opposite side of the tent. Sharing a tent with rare flowers wasn't a problem on the AT portion, of course. Anyway, that got me to thinking about hammocks and the REI sale pushed me over the edge. I ordered a HH Explorer Ultralite and it was waiting when I came home today! I'll probably run out this weekend to give this puppy a whirl. I'll bet the Taccoa bridge will be a zoo, but I've been wanting to check out the campsite at Bryson Gap, and I think I located a couple of old Indian graves that I wanted to photograph on the way there. So Sunday nite, if you're in the area...

Yes, I'll e-mail you. I made note of some places that really need maintenance, and one stretch that just plain needs to be relocated. But mostly it's in good shape. I reserved a place on trailjournals to put in my notes & pictures, and if I ever stay at home on a weekend I'll load them

steve hiker
05-26-2004, 18:05
That ThermaCell seems quite expensive. Not the devise, but the refills you'd have to constantly buy.

Jan LiteShoe used catnip oil. I read one study that said catnip oil repels bugs better than DEET. And it's natural.

Chappy
05-26-2004, 18:10
JLB, When others were giving you a hard time about the gun issue I spoke up in favor of your right to express your opinion. I felt you were really interested in learning about a thru hike and sincere in your opinion about weapons. You seemed knowledgeable in defending your position so I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Now...I'm not so sure. You seem to be spurring for a fight. I'm no Kerry supporter...completely disagree with his politics...but WB is no place to fight over politics. I agree with the banner, but here it's inflammatory and out of place. Please refrain from this and stay on the subject of hiking. Soon you may be the only one reading your posts. The IGNORE button is just a touch away!

JLB
05-26-2004, 22:33
Hey, I think you're wasting your breath about this politico discussion. The guy who posted it is just trying to grab some attention. Earlier today he posted that he owns a machine gun. Another great attention grabbing posting. Look at post #7 above. This guy isn't a backpacker. Ignore him and he'll eventually go away.

Not likely, and I am a backpacker, or soon will be. :banana

JLB
05-26-2004, 22:36
JLB, When others were giving you a hard time about the gun issue I spoke up in favor of your right to express your opinion. I felt you were really interested in learning about a thru hike and sincere in your opinion about weapons. You seemed knowledgeable in defending your position so I gave you the benefit of the doubt. Now...I'm not so sure. You seem to be spurring for a fight. I'm no Kerry supporter...completely disagree with his politics...but WB is no place to fight over politics. I agree with the banner, but here it's inflammatory and out of place. Please refrain from this and stay on the subject of hiking. Soon you may be the only one reading your posts. The IGNORE button is just a touch away!

A sig line is where you make a statement. I am a Republican, so I choose to show that in my sig line. I got rid of the Hanoi John line, just so everybody wouldn't get the vapors.

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 23:07
I read a review somewhere and they found that DEET about something like 30% or 50% or something had absolutly no benefit. The point of deet is to mask CO2 from your skin that blood suckers use to "smell" you. Using enough to block works fine, using more than enough doesn't really hide you any better. The funny thing in my days of being an instructor was watching soldiers spray deet on their tent to keep ticks and spiders away. It didn't matter how much I tried to explain it's use, people do what they want to with it.

WalkinHome
05-27-2004, 06:50
Hi Rock,

So Rock, would a good dose of garlic help keep the bugs away? LOL
Enjoy your posts. Am retired USAR grunt 1SG. See you on the high ground!

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 09:05
You know, I have heard that garlic will work. Us old 1SGs don't worry about bugs, coffee seems to keep them away or something LOL.

jlb2012
05-27-2004, 10:27
... The funny thing in my days of being an instructor was watching soldiers spray deet on their tent to keep ticks and spiders away. It didn't matter how much I tried to explain it's use, people do what they want to with it.

Nylon tents? Doesn't deet eat holes in the nylon? Especially the high concentrations of deet? :-?

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 10:38
They are canvas. Remember, in some ways the Army is still in the 40's. Imagine only getting half a tent and carrying about 7 pounds of weight for the privelidge.

Jaybird
05-27-2004, 11:13
100% DEET. Skin So Soft doesn't work for s**t. Just makes you smell like a chick.

Preach on Wolf!...Amen!;)

ncmtns
05-27-2004, 21:14
egeneralmedical.com/kb5077.html

"Bug Away" So far this stuff has done me great for black flies and mosquitos. Its an herbal thing. A little pricey but better than deet getting in my system.
Kinda hard to get the scent off my fingers for tying up for the ol trout tho.
(sorry if the above doesnt 'link' )

grrickar
05-27-2004, 21:23
Anyone tried this, and does it work? I saw it in a local Wal-Mart, and after all the bad press DEET has been getting it makes me think twice about it. I have used the Ben's 100% DEET before with no ill effects, but I wonder long-term what it might have in store for us.

The Lemon Eucalyptus stuff seems innocuous enough, but the label does not tell everything that it in the lotion, and it seems only a small percentage is the natural stuff else why would Repel refuse to state what it was?

If it works great: I've been thinking about picking up some - but what about the rule no smellables in the tent? If you had applied some of the stuff, wouldn't you be smelly from it for awhile? Would that atrract the curiosity of our furry friends? HMMM....lemon eucalyputus marinated human....:-?

nazdarovye
05-27-2004, 23:46
Man, I love the ignore list! :) Thanks to whomever recommended that.

Meanwhile:

As noted earlier, I use the Lemon Eucalyptus stuff and so far it has worked well.

I don't think it will make a bear take interest in you any more than any other smelly thing you could slather on yourself, including DEET. And it does (so far) keep mosquitoes and black flies away from me, whereas normally they love me. I'd say it doesn't last quite as long as DEET, but still works for many hours.

I don't know what it is they're not listing - I never read the label closely, and they're required by law to list all active ingredients, so I'd assume it's nothing too nasty.

attroll
05-28-2004, 00:53
Anyone tried this, and does it work? I saw it in a local Wal-Mart, and after all the bad press DEET has been getting it makes me think twice about it. I have used the Ben's 100% DEET before with no ill effects, but I wonder long-term what it might have in store for us.

The Lemon Eucalyptus stuff seems innocuous enough, but the label does not tell everything that it in the lotion, and it seems only a small percentage is the natural stuff else why would Repel refuse to state what it was?

If it works great: I've been thinking about picking up some - but what about the rule no smellables in the tent? If you had applied some of the stuff, wouldn't you be smelly from it for awhile? Would that atrract the curiosity of our furry friends? HMMM....lemon eucalyputus marinated human....:-?
Where in Walmart did you see it? I want to look in my Walmart and find it. I want to try it.

Skeemer
05-28-2004, 08:17
I also used the catnip oil...applied it to my ball cap and it seemed to work for me. But come to think of it...the skeeters weren't all all that bad last year. When they were, I also applied a small amount of 100% Deet to exposed arms and legs. Don't recall getting any bad bites.

There is another thread here where I and others went into some detail on inscects and repellants. Do a search.

grrickar
05-30-2004, 00:14
ATTroll - Check in the sporting goods section. I have seen it both in the hunting and fishing section as well as with the camping goods. We have 5 Wal-Marts in the local area, and I know at least three of them carry it in those departments, along with the standard Off! products.

orangebug
05-30-2004, 09:58
but about this Kerry question..you like him?? :D

Is the Kerry question some new DEET brand? I'd like to see more Irish produced hiking gear.

Bill...
<why not stay on topic?>

Rain Man
05-30-2004, 10:42
I use a low-percentage (33% or less) DEET and/or a bug net.

Lots of other stuff gets urban legend support, but is largely bogus or not commerically available or FDA approved for good reason. Catnip. Skin-so-Soft. Tomato derivatives. Garlic. Electronic devices. Butane devices.

But, HYOH. If it works for you, go for it.

Rain Man

Jack Tarlin
05-30-2004, 11:40
I've used Ben's for years (95%) and it works great. Obviously, it should be used sparingly, and away from your eyes and mouth; it's also not a good idea to apply it directly to synthetic fabrics.

If anyone's curious, I think the worst spots for bugs over the past few years have been Connecticut and Massachusetts, especially along the Housatonic River just past Kent; another horrible area is near Tyringham, Massachuseetts.
Word to the wise: Do not leave Kent without some sort of bug spray, preferably a strong one, or you'll be hating life.

As to the other kinder and gentler repellants----Skin So Soft, Naturepel, etc., they just don't cut it in New England, and as for the mild repellants like Cutter and Off which are usually less than 25% Deet, the mosquitos in New England will laugh at you, ignore your repellant, and then feast on you.

Small doses of really strong repellant will do the job, and despite fearful tales told here and elsewhere, there is NO evidence that this stuff is harmful if used sparingly and correctly, which is why I've stuck with Ben's. Like they say in Texas.......whup seldom, but whup good.

JLB
05-30-2004, 13:40
I've used Ben's for years (95%) and it works great. Obviously, it should be used sparingly, and away from your eyes and mouth; it's also not a good idea to apply it directly to synthetic fabrics.

If anyone's curious, I think the worst spots for bugs over the past few years have been Connecticut and Massachusetts, especially along the Housatonic River just past Kent; another horrible area is near Tyringham, Massachuseetts.
Word to the wise: Do not leave Kent without some sort of bug spray, preferably a strong one, or you'll be hating life.

As to the other kinder and gentler repellants----Skin So Soft, Naturepel, etc., they just don't cut it in New England, and as for the mild repellants like Cutter and Off which are usually less than 25% Deet, the mosquitos in New England will laugh at you, ignore your repellant, and then feast on you.

Small doses of really strong repellant will do the job, and despite fearful tales told here and elsewhere, there is NO evidence that this stuff is harmful if used sparingly and correctly, which is why I've stuck with Ben's. Like they say in Texas.......whup seldom, but whup good.

What is "Bens", and do you have a link for it?

grrickar
05-30-2004, 13:56
http://www.tendercorp.com/bens.html

Small orange bottle of really oily stuff. Little goes a long way. Most other products are other chemicals and a small percentage of DEET. This stuff is concentrated. I have had one bottle and it has lasted many,many summers of outdoors activities.

I would recommend that you do some research on DEET and make you own decisions as to its safety. I think people can overreact on both sides of the fence. My take is that prolonged use is asking for problems. Even on those not allergic to it, I have heard it causes nerve damage. I've never had a bad experience with it, bit I don't use it all that often anymore either.

I'm looking for a natural alternative, and plan to try the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus stuff.

I have had good success with Deep Woods OFF! also.

Jack Tarlin
05-30-2004, 13:58
JLB--

Ben's is a popular insect repellent made by the Tender Corporation, a small company based in New Hampshire. (For more info on the company and their products, see www.tendercorp.com)

Ben's is available on line at all sorts of places.....do a Google or Yahoo search on "Ben's 100 Max Formula" and you'll all sorts of places where you can get it on line, such as Amazon, Campmor, etc. It generally retails for about six bucks for a 1.25 oz. bottle, but the bottle should last a very long time.