PDA

View Full Version : SNP must see?

Bulldawg
03-22-2009, 01:32
In a few weeks I will be heading to Washington, DC via Damascus and up I81. Want to spend the better part of a day in SNP. Somebody suggest one or two short day hikes in the park we can take. We have a 9 and 7 year old, so I would prefer something interesting with an awesome view, waterfall, or something to keep their attention. Thanks!

DanSea
03-22-2009, 01:42
Old Rag was my favorite when i was that age.

Some scrambling and there's not a chance you'll be alone on the trail though.

freefall
03-22-2009, 01:55
In a few weeks I will be heading to Washington, DC via Damascus and up I81. Want to spend the better part of a day in SNP. Somebody suggest one or two short day hikes in the park we can take. We have a 9 and 7 year old, so I would prefer something interesting with an awesome view, waterfall, or something to keep their attention. Thanks!
Dark Hollow Falls near Big Meadows (between MP 50-51) and Bearfence Mtn (between MP 56-57). Or there is Hawksbill, (MP 45.6).
Dark Hollow is a nice hike but it is down all the way there and up all the way back. 1.4 miles round trip with 70' waterfall.
Bearfence is a rock scramble but nothing hard. It is 1.7 miles round trip and the 360* view, especially in the spring is great, before the heat and pollution obscure the view too much.
Hawksbill has nice views but not 360 like Bearfence but the trail has some options in length of 1.7 or 2.9 miles.
I've hiked all these numerous times starting about age 5 ( I grew up in VA Beach area and we would camp there 5-6 times a year) and never fail to be amazed. I have a couple of pics of Bearfence and Dark Hollow in my gallery.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32220&catid=member&imageuser=7135
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32221&catid=member&imageuser=7135
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32221&catid=member&imageuser=7135
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32220&catid=member&imageuser=7135

freefall
03-22-2009, 01:58
....there's not a chance you'll be alone on the trail though.
Pretty much any trail in SNP during spring/ summer, more or less.

Cookerhiker
03-22-2009, 07:28
I would also recommend Old Rag but preferably on a weekday. Only you know how much your kids are up for hiking 2,000' up. The last part is a fund rock scramble which the whole family will enjoy but you have to bet there first by a steady uphill through the woods.

One nice hike from Skyline Drive is down White Oak Canyon. The waterfall is picturesque and you can hike down as far as you want - in SNP, what goes down must go up!

TOW
03-22-2009, 08:45
There will be grass, insects, trees, water, and all kinds of stuff for a couple of youngin's to get awed at. They will have a great time.

jlb2012
03-22-2009, 09:34
well - one hike that I like is going up Hightop SOBO on the AT with a good view from the top - hiking further SOBO down to the Hightop Hut - then taking the maintainer's trail (aka Coppermine Trail) down to Swift Run Overlook - a 10 minute road walk north on Skyline Drive gets you back to your car.

johnnybgood
03-22-2009, 15:17
Bulldawg , if your 9 & 7 year old like climbing over rocks then I'd suggest Bearfence Mountain hike at just under a mile round trip .
It's gonna be interesting because of the rock scramble to the summit . A bonus is a 360 degree view of the Shenandoah Valley below.

Parking is off the Drive at Milepost 56.

Hint : You can expect plenty hikers if this is a weekend thing

Dogwood
03-22-2009, 16:34
Get away from the vehicle and check out Old Rag or White Oak Canyon. There is actually more than one waterfall in White Oak Canyon. In some place WOC is more like a gorge. Enjoy the day hikes!

Bulldawg
03-22-2009, 22:02
OK Bearfence and White Oak sound like good day trips. Are they close enough to get them both on the same day if I get into the park real early? We are simply passing through on a Sunday on our way to DC. I think I am staying an hour or so south of the park on I81 Saturday night. I want to do a couple of short hikes in the park and still be in Fairfax Sunday night.

jlb2012
03-22-2009, 22:16
Bearfence - at most maybe 2 hours more likely 1 hour
Whiteoak - depends how far down you go - all the way down and then backup could be more than 6 hours with kids - also depends on if you check out Limberlost area
driving Skyline Drive - if you come in at Swift Run Gap (US 33) and only drive the Central District exiting on US 211 then that is about an hour

johnnybgood
03-22-2009, 22:28
Yes . White Oak Canyon is approx. 10 miles north at MP 46 .

An hour south of the park sounds like poss. Staunton ?

Can back track to Staunton along the Parkway ( 35MPH) OR drop off at the Thorton Gap exit and follow RT. 211 toward New Market and pick up I -81 North to I-66 heading East toward D.C.

A-Train
03-22-2009, 22:35
You should check out the blackberry milkshakes. They are by far the coolest thing in the park going on. And White Oak Canyon is cool too!

MedicineMan
03-22-2009, 22:42
see is HOI coming around the corner to the shelter where he thinks you might be with cold beers in hand----def. the greatest trail magic I've every had, will never forget.

Bulldawg
03-23-2009, 22:45
Bearfence - at most maybe 2 hours more likely 1 hour
Whiteoak - depends how far down you go - all the way down and then backup could be more than 6 hours with kids - also depends on if you check out Limberlost area
driving Skyline Drive - if you come in at Swift Run Gap (US 33) and only drive the Central District exiting on US 211 then that is about an hour

OK, Bearfence is a definite, not sure about enough time for the other.

How about one more or if you had 8 hours to spend in the park would you simply do bearfence and spend the rest of the time driving through?

Also, I am looking for maps, I found the SNP website with maps, but unlike GSMNP, it is split up. Which one is Bearfence on? (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/mapshiking.htm)

Thanks!

Blissful
03-23-2009, 23:15
You need the PATC map for the central section.

Do Bearfence, drive north on the drive. As an alternate - you might also consider hiking to South River Falls -that's nice and different than a rock scramble - I'd be careful with thekids on the rocks anyway. If its wet, foggy, etc I'd do the falls hike, personally.

Then head up the drive to Big Meadows - see the meadow (lots of deer) and the nice visitor center with the exhibits. Continue north, head out of park at Thorton Gap.