PDA

View Full Version : Good/ cheap Video camera

freefall
03-22-2009, 02:50
I'm probably hiking the CT this year and was inspired by Cookie and Paul's CDT videohttp://www.made-in-england.org/videos/cdt/ to take video along the entire trail. Any recommendations for inexpensive but good video cameras?

I have a solar charger which will work well on most of the CT as it is largely exposed so rechargeable batteries but interchangeable (removable not necc. standard sizes) are a plus.

I might have car support (meet me at trailheads) for the first few days but after that I'm on my own. I was laid off in Jan so I need to keep money in mind.

Thanks!

fiddlehead
03-22-2009, 03:20
I believe that video was done with an HD or "high definition" video camera.
It is excellent quality.

However, HD cameras are not inexpensive.

I used a Canon ZR40 for my video a few years ago.
I still use it and see they are cheap on ebay now.

Be careful about getting it wet though. THe humidity here in Thailand ruined my original one and i got another on ebay for around $80 last year.

freefall
03-22-2009, 03:29
I believe that video was done with an HD or "high definition" video camera.
It is excellent quality.

However, HD cameras are not inexpensive.

I used a Canon ZR40 for my video a few years ago.
I still use it and see they are cheap on ebay now.

Be careful about getting it wet though. THe humidity here in Thailand ruined my original one and i got another on ebay for around $80 last year.
I "wish" an HD camera would just fall from the sky into my hands but I'm sure that won't happen.
So anything else would work. The Canon ZR40 looks nice but the reviews I read said a battery life of 95 minutes. I would have to carry at least 4 batteries and 3 chargers. Is 95 minutes accurate?
I'm probably looking for something that records to flash memory- uses less power and is lighter.

Thanks, I'll keep this one in mind, putting it on my Ebay watch list now.

fiddlehead
03-22-2009, 03:43
I bought an aftermarket 5 hour battery for mine that seems to still give me 4+ hours 4 years later. THe little battery that comes with it is a joke IMO.
I think i paid around $75 for that 5 hour battery, (new) but that was a while ago.