PDA

View Full Version : Blackburn Trail Center

Former Admin
10-19-2002, 12:05
Info, questions, comments, experiences (good or bad) regarding - Blackburn Trail Center

Past/Present hikers - what can future hikers expect here? Have any good stories or memories from here?

Future hikers - any questions?

ez-does-it
10-21-2002, 17:11
This another one of those fine places you would like to go to.The stairs leading into the maine house has a water faucet for getting your water.In the maine house area is a porch where you can use a pay phone and deposit your donation and also has a scale for weighing your pack.It is usually hosted by former thru-hiker(s) and has a solar shower as well.In the cottage is where you can stay as well as many spots for tenting out.The cottage has bunks for sleeping and a pot belled stove for those cold nights with all the cut fire wood you need.Highly reommended.:p :p

chris
11-19-2002, 17:31
I haven't been here, but I thought I would put in a plug for it based on an experience in the Smokys a few weeks ago. I met an older gent, perhaps mid 50s and _extremely_ fit. He seemed to be one of the main people at Blackburn and did alot of work with the PATC. Born in England, lived in Spain, and is now in the US. Ran into him at Icewater as he was hiking across the Smokys. I don't recall his name, but he described the place in great detail and made it sound like paradise. If I am rambling through this spring, I'll definitely be stopping in.

chief
11-20-2002, 01:40
blackburn center was okay, though i didn't enjoy going down and back up the hole it's in. oh well, had to use that phone! i made my call, drank my free coke and stuffed some bills in the donation box. a guy asked me how i liked the "roller coaster". i said it was okay, but i'd like to meet the a**hole who put up the signs. he said, "that would be me". i replied, "nice job, see ya". alright i didn't give the place a chance. my impressions of it, it's a trail maintainer's clubhouse - hiker trash, go to the back please.

Peaks
11-20-2002, 08:10
Chief,

I think that it's good to note that Blackburn Center is the Trail Maintainer's center first, and thru-hikers second. PATC does have a great facility here. By the way, the resident managers are usually former thru-hikers. In fact, I believe that I met the current managers the prior year on the trail.

I stopped over in June. I was warmly welcomed and treated to a great dinner. However, there were trail maintainers around, and they pretty much kept to themselves, as did us hikers. Not too much mingling. But then again, I didn't call the maintainers a$$holes either.

I have walked a lot further off the trail for a lot less.

Kerosene
11-20-2002, 13:00
I ended up walking downhill to the Center for lunch during my hike, only because I needed water. I'm glad I did. It was a sunny Fall day so I put out gear to dry on the lawn and had lunch at the picnic table. The caretaker, Philippe, pointed out the towers of the National Cathedral fully 50 miles away. Neat.

As for the Rollercoaster, I didn't think it was any big deal, having endured worse on the Trail north to New Hampshire.

MOWGLI
11-20-2002, 14:18
Originally posted by Peaks
By the way, the resident managers are usually former thru-hikers. In fact, I believe that I met the current managers the prior year on the trail.

I met a couple of former thru-hikers at a shelter somewhere in VA. Their (trail)names were Flash & Hot Flash. They brought some trail magic to the shelter, and regaled us with stories for an hour or so. Turns out they were former caretakers at Blackburn Center.

Perhaps the best story I heard during my hike was told by Flash. The story goes....

Flash was sitting at a picnic table on the patio at Blackburn talking to a thru-hiker from Texas. It was pitch black out, and during the conversation, the thruhiker pickd up his feet and placed them on the picnic table bench. He told Flash "you might want to put your feet up - there's a snake under the table". Flash was astonished and somewhat in disbelief since the hiker had never looked down during the conversation. He asked the hiker how he knew there was a snake under the table. The hiker told him that he had "heard" the snake. Now Flash was really astonished. Turns out the hiker owned snakes and had a patio much like the one at Blackburn. He heard the snakes scales sliding across the stone patio!

Flash yelled to his wife - Hot Flash - to turn on the outside flood light (or flashlight - forget which). When the light went on, there beneath the table was a large & healthy Timber Rattler! Flash moved the snake safely into the the woods.

Pretty cool story, eh?

stranger
02-02-2003, 18:47
Blackburn Rocks...plain and simple. The AT is lucky to have places like this up and down ther trail, think about the trail without these places and people. It would be a very different trail.

Skeemer
02-02-2003, 22:15
I stayed in the cabin there one night this past summer. I agree the facilities were nice, solar shower great and the free pop was a nice gesture. I believe Mary Poppins was overseeing it and he seemed pretty genuine. Having said that, there was a woman working in the kitchen who was a bit of a snoot. Not too friendly with the "hiker trash." A committee was having some sort of gathering that weekend and I think they would have liked to have had the place to themselves. It may have been because as I was hiking in, I came upon her taking a leak below the deck right beside the trail. Honestly, if I had seen her earlier I would have stopped and turned away

Peaks
02-03-2003, 10:04
I was there on a Saturday night, and the PATC work crew was there also. I don't know who you met, but I enjoyed great hospitality. I even got to help out in the kitchen, and work with the couple preparing a very fine dinner for all.

steve hiker
02-09-2003, 16:36
Hey Chief what was it about those signs that got you all riled up?

Lone Wolf
02-09-2003, 18:37
Those signs are a joke. Obviously the dude hasn't hiked in N.H. and Maine. That so-called "roller coaster" was hardly a coupla pimples. To a PATC member out of the D.C. area it must be seem like Everest. Sittin behind desks and all.

Kerosene
02-10-2003, 10:57
I agree with LW about the Roller Coaster. The guidebook, trail registers and signage hype it up a lot, but I sailed through it waiting for a series of tough climbs that never really materialized. Certainly I can see how it could be tough on a humid summer day (I had the luxury of temps in the mid-50's), but there are certainly harder sections in Pennsylvania let alone New England.

MOWGLI
02-10-2003, 11:13
I hiked the so called "Roller Coaster" on a brutally hot day in early June with temps in the 90's and humidity near 100%. I have never sweated that much in my entire life. At one dirt road crossing I sat on a rock and sweat literally poured off of me like a river. I drank like a fiend, perhaps 7 liters that day, and was still dehydrated at the end of the day.

The water sources in each of the little valleys between "pimples" struck me as a bit sketchy. For me, this was the beginning of a more careful look at each water source, as the population of the Mid-Atlantic (WV, MD, PA, NJ) makes contamination by people a more likely reality.

Steve W
02-10-2003, 13:08
I stayed there in June, 2001. It was fine. After some rain it was nice to have a dry place to sleep. The shower felt great. The folks in the main house wanted nothing to do with me, but that's OK. I had a nice quiet nights sleep in a facility that I was glad to visit. I agree that the trail is better off with places like this. If you don't like it, just keep on walking.

Mini-Mosey
02-28-2003, 18:15
On my second overnight backpacking trip, it began to rain hard and I ended up going down there. This was in April of 2000. the caretaker was very accomodating and kind and concerned about my welfare. Two guys with a sweet little dog named Pepper followed after me and we all shared the cabin. The caretaker, as I said before, was very kind.

Aubrey
03-04-2003, 03:06
Anyone out there remember Bjorn? If not, he was something of a trail character. He would hike all day quoting Shakespeare. At night, he would drink. And fart. A lot. He carried one of the big Danas (Terraplane?) and at the bottom he kept 2 or 3 5ths of various beverages.

One night at Blackburn, the caretaker took a few of us into town to go grocery shopping. Bjorn bought 10 steaks. Yes 10. For himself. (although he said I could have one if he couldn't eat them all) Did I mention that Bjorn was 6'4 and well over 300lbs.? Anyhow, he and the caretaker were good friends. The caretaker (wish I could remember his name)cooked up Bjorn's steaks while Bjorn tore through a new bottle of JD. As big as he was, that bottle was bigger and Bjorn got rip-roaring drunk!

Now, when Bjorn was drunk, he was a bit ... loud? Obnoxious? Like 20grit sandpaper? Yeah, he was a bit much. So he jumps up on the picnic table, strips off his shirt and starts shaking so that his mountains of fat would wiggle and jiggle. Then he fell. CRUNCH! It was a nice chair, too.

About that time, the caretaker came out with a PILE of steaks, steaming, smelling just wonderful. Bjorn, lying in a pile of twisted chair, stared up at his friend and said, "Gimme...mumble..mumble."

The caretaker laid the plate next to Bjorn's head just in time for Bjorn to pass out - face first into it. Then, strange emanations worked their way out of Bjorn's mouth and just covered the steaks like gravy.

I was quite depressed. I was really looking forward to that steak.

Ah well - Blackburn is a wonderful place. I've always felt welcome and I've always had a good time there.

Yes, even with you Bjorn ole buddy! :)

Skeemer
03-04-2003, 07:38
Aubrey,
What a gross story! You have a way with words. What ever happened to the guy? What year was this, mabie someone else will recall how far he got on the trail or whatever happeded to a character like this? Can anyone top that story?

Aubrey
03-04-2003, 13:33
Hmm, I'd love to chat about Bjorn (one of my favorite topics) but I'm not sure if we should in this forum. I can answer, "Whatever happened with..."

Bjorn Thruhiked for the first time in '95. That was the year Backpacker magazine sent out crews to "hike along with the thruhikers." In the October (I believe) issue, they just SLAMMED Bjorn. Hard. It was painful to read. But, true to himself, Bjorn did not take that lying down.

He was accused of being a non-thruhiker, yellowblazer, horrible company, bad man, cookie monster, you-name-it. And above ALL ELSE, he wasn't a purist (they ran the article from a purist standpoint). The next year (when I met him) he was the purest of the pure. Really. He made up the most stringent rules I've ever heard of - not even Wingfoot would have a word to say about these rules - they were tight.

He hiked EVERY day. It may only have been from one blaze to the next (did a lot of that in Damascus) but he did it. It had to be with loaded pack on. To make these small trips more contiguous and to off-put any potential naysayers, he rehiked most of these small section on the last day he was in a town! Crazy.

Anyhow, old Bjorn made it to Katahdin all 3 years (he also hiked the next year). If EVER there was a hiker that was the true Hike-Your-Own-Hiker, it was Bjorn.

I miss him. But that's ok, he gave me a million great memories.

Blue Jay
03-04-2003, 15:09
Backpacker Magazine should be called Yuppiepacker. Once every six issues there is a small story that might be of some use to a few backpackers. If they didn't like Bjorn he must be a true thru.
As for the Blackburn I always plan to go there but when I get to the junction I remember that there is no food there (unless you stumble upon an angel), and walk on by.

Rogue
01-01-2004, 21:07
Backpacker Magazine should be called Yuppiepacker. Once every six issues there is a small story that might be of some use to a few backpackers. If they didn't like Bjorn he must be a true thru.
As for the Blackburn I always plan to go there but when I get to the junction I remember that there is no food there (unless you stumble upon an angel), and walk on by.

I just emailed Backpacker mag yesterday evening about that very thing. I was a charter member when Backpacker came out and they only had 4 issues a year; bulky, high gloss, glued backbone (no staples) and fabulous articles and photos. All the ads were from equipment manufacturers and food suppliers. I recently bought a copy and was sorely disappointed in the quantity and quality of what had once been worth having. I even used the yuppie word on them too. When I read your post I had to laugh. I see that others view that rag and subpar as well. Maybe my little blast of reality will inspire them to do something about their quality. Anyway, thanks for the great chuckle and have a great new year.

Lone Wolf
01-01-2004, 21:28
Rumor has it that Backpacker Ragazine is the sole sponsor of Trail Days this year. There goes the neighborhood.

screwysquirrel
01-02-2004, 02:49
Didn't the neighborhood go back in 2001?

blisters
06-22-2005, 21:29
My hiking buddy and myself also had the honor to meet and hike with Bjorn. It was back in June of 98'. We met Bjorn at the ATC center in Boiling Springs, PA. One of the first things he ask us was if we had money and wanted to get a room together. Well, that freaked us out and we took off further down the trail. The next morning, as we were breaking down camp, Bjorn had passed our campsite. He didn't see us, so after we got on the trial, we figured we would get to know this guy a little better. We ended up hiking with Bjorn the entire day. He told us everything under the moon: he didn't believe in U.S. currency, he lived on an island of the coast of Maine, he was sparring partner with some famous boxer in the 60's, just to name a few. He did tell us all about the yellow blazing thing. After taking a nap at our shelter for the night, he took off for God know's where (he said the next shelter). He wanted us to go, but we declined. I do remember that night on heck of a thunderstorm hit and he was out there in it. Anyway, at the time we were a bunch of young newbies to the hiking experience, he did have a lot of good tips about hiking, that we still use today. Heck of nice guy!

Hmm, I'd love to chat about Bjorn (one of my favorite topics) but I'm not sure if we should in this forum. I can answer, "Whatever happened with..."

Bjorn Thruhiked for the first time in '95. That was the year Backpacker magazine sent out crews to "hike along with the thruhikers." In the October (I believe) issue, they just SLAMMED Bjorn. Hard. It was painful to read. But, true to himself, Bjorn did not take that lying down.

He was accused of being a non-thruhiker, yellowblazer, horrible company, bad man, cookie monster, you-name-it. And above ALL ELSE, he wasn't a purist (they ran the article from a purist standpoint). The next year (when I met him) he was the purest of the pure. Really. He made up the most stringent rules I've ever heard of - not even Wingfoot would have a word to say about these rules - they were tight.

He hiked EVERY day. It may only have been from one blaze to the next (did a lot of that in Damascus) but he did it. It had to be with loaded pack on. To make these small trips more contiguous and to off-put any potential naysayers, he rehiked most of these small section on the last day he was in a town! Crazy.

Anyhow, old Bjorn made it to Katahdin all 3 years (he also hiked the next year). If EVER there was a hiker that was the true Hike-Your-Own-Hiker, it was Bjorn.

I miss him. But that's ok, he gave me a million great memories.

neo
06-22-2005, 22:12
i stopped there in may 2002 for a little break,they gave a soda,i used the rest room filled my water bottle and hiked on to the david lesser shelter:cool: neo

The Hog
06-23-2005, 06:46
I was the caretaker at the Blackburn Center back in 1985. Back then, it was badly infested with fleas. I bombed the heck out of 'em and routed 'em. Some members of the PATC were mad at me for using toxic pesticides (one of them even said, 'All you have to do is wet mop the place.' She wet mopped the place and it had no effect - none - on the fleas).

Beware, there ARE rattlesnakes in the area - I encountered two of them in the two months or so I was there.

One day, a bearded thru hiker came down to stay overnight on the porch. We had a nice chat and he asked me about my thru hike the previous year, specifically did I remember a ridgerunner named Tom Leonard in Massachusetts? Yeah, I met him and went on to describe Tom and mentioned what a good guy he was, etc.

This thru hiker looked at me in silence for several long, pregnant moments, then said, "I'm Tom Leonard." I just about fell off my chair laughing at my own cluelessness!

jackiebolen
06-23-2005, 11:14
The roller-coaster was a nightmare when I did it...so, so hot and humid. So it made my entire month when the nice caretaker at Blackburn gave me a cold soda, fixed up a cut on my hand for me and then I took a shower.

Then free supper later.

Then I checked in the hiker box and found large amounts of free Liptons.

All in all, an extremely enjoyable night....not to be missed!

BonzNRio
06-23-2005, 12:55
I've visited & stayed at Blackburn many times since my thru hike in 97.I've met alot of the trail maintainers & have helped when I could.I totally appreciate what these folks do.Take a sec & imagine if there was no suck thing as trail maintainers.Where is TrailBoss & his wonderful wife these days? Great folks/Great hostel.Very worth the walk off the trail. ~Peace~

partly cloudy
01-05-2006, 00:21
Is Blackburn Center open during the "off" months? Like Jan. Feb. and March. I gotta complete that section and will be there in Feb. or March. If not there, maybe Bear's Den.
First attempt, the heat, the rain, the roller coaster.

Sly
01-05-2006, 02:11
Is Blackburn Center open during the "off" months? Like Jan. Feb. and March. I gotta complete that section and will be there in Feb. or March. If not there, maybe Bear's Den.

It's open year round. There's a small hiker cabin just to the south of the Blackburn Centers main complex. It has a wood stove and wood to burn. Just go in and make yourself at home.

partly cloudy
01-05-2006, 23:24
Thanks Sly If your in the area, I'll keep the fire goin' for ya.

jamarshall
04-30-2006, 21:17
Stopped in last Saturday and lucked into a meeting of the ALDHA planners. Couldn't be a nicer group of people. Shared dinner, slides and breakfast the next morning. The caretaker was great too, kept asking if there was anything that I needed. But all I really wanted was someplace to stay out of the rain. I found that and a lot more. It was well worth the long walk down the hill. Thanks to all!

weary
04-30-2006, 23:14
I stopped in '93. The cabin was open. Nothing else. I never did notice the rollwe coaster. I kept looking for it, but eventually I ended Harpers Ferry.

I met Bjorn in '95 when I went back to pick up Connecticut and Massachusetts, that time had required me to bypass two years earlier. Bjorn was still into yellow blazing at that time. I didn't particularly object. HYOH. But he didn't strike me as a serious "thru hiker."

Weary

troglobil
05-01-2006, 09:11
If its the same place,I stopped for the night here in '86 during a section hike. I slept in the screened in porch on a couch and watched the bats flying around catching bugs. I guess the screen had a few holes in it. I couldn't tell you who the caretaker was, but very friendly.

Skyline
05-01-2006, 10:34
Bjorn was one of a kind. Whatever happened to him? Last time I saw him must have been a Trail Days five or six years back--maybe longer.

no_granola
05-10-2006, 14:58
I'm planning on finishing my section hike somewhere at Blackburn Center in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if I can park there?

I'll be starting out from the Susquehanna River.

dovecote
05-13-2006, 19:55
Yes you can. There are several spots to park your vehicle right before you reach the Center. I have been there on a couple of occasions and safety has not been a concern. The road is gravel/dirt for the last few miles and a high clearance vehicle is preferred. Sounds like you will be parking your vehicle long term there, You certainly should notify the caretaker at Blackburn about the duration.

Patrickjd9
05-28-2006, 22:55
The roller-coaster was a nightmare when I did it...so, so hot and humid.
The heat and humidity are a lot more an issue than the physical difficulty of the trail. It is also at a low elevation--making it that much hotter.

It's also not very scenic, being a section of low scrubby trees with a lot of vines.

As for us DC people, being parked behind a desk all day makes hiking (and trail work) that much more worthwhile:)

Peanut
06-02-2006, 15:53
I'm trying to do a section hike from there...can anyone give me directions? (Coming from Baltimore) Thanks!

Lilred
06-02-2006, 16:58
The Blackburn Center is being run now by Hopeful and Redwing, thru hikers from last year. Great folks.

dovecote
06-03-2006, 10:50
Here are the directions from Baltimore:

Take I-70 west towards Frederick. At Frederick, look for the U.S. Highway 340 exit. Take the "Harpers Ferry 340 exit" heading south (the exit sign may actually be shown as 340 west) towards West Virginia. After crossing over the Potomac River bridge make a left shortly afterwards at the traffic signal (VA Highway 671). Take VA 671 to the end where it meets up with VA Highway 9 (traffic signal there). Make a left at VA 9 heading east. Travel on VA 9 for a relative short distance and look for Cider Mill Road on the right. Make a right on Cider Mill Road. Follow Cider Mill Road to Woodbridge Road (another relative short distance). Make a right on Woodbridge Road (County Road 719). Take Woodbridge Road (less than about five miles) to Appalachian Trail Road (County Road 713). Make a right on Appalachian Trail Road. This road will take you to Blackburn.

Michele
10-29-2007, 11:36
Hey all,

I have a friend who is wanting to meet me and do a day hike into Harper's Ferry with me. Does anyone know if you can actually drive to and park your car for a few days at the Blackburn Trail Center?

I've tried emailing and calling/left a message with the PATC, the club who runs the thing, but no answer either way...and I'm really needing to get this resolved, as I'm heading out for a 4 day hike tomorrow.

If you can drive/park (for a day...maybe 1 overnite), does anyone know really good directions? My friend would be coming from Charlottesville, VA. Thanks for any help!

Michele
10-29-2007, 11:40
Oh man...I posted my last question, and when it posted, I look at the post above it and there's the stupid directions! I'm assuming these are still good directions?

Also, anyone know if these roads are like dirt/gravel? Thanks.

rafe
10-29-2007, 11:56
The only problem with Blackburn is that it's a long way down from the ridge. (Maybe a 10 minute hike back up in the AM.) It's a nice place. There's a bunkhouse (I didn't stay in it -- I set up my tent in the lawn instead.) Good views to the east. Hopeful and Redwing served us coffee, OJ and muffins in the morning, and offered cold sodas on request. There's a solar shower that was working well when I was there. Water from a spigot on the side of the main building. There is also an extensive camping area above the main facility. Thumbnail is a view of the main building from the lawn.

Mac2
11-04-2007, 09:37
I am a PATC member that would like to take a group on an overnight backpacking trip from Blackburn to David Lesser and back. We are looking at Dec 1/2 2007 Would like to know if we can park two vehicles at or near Blackburn overnight. I have stopped at Blackburn before but can't recall if there's any parking. I'm sure it's limited.

Lone Wolf
11-04-2007, 09:39
this time of year should be no problem. i've parked there in the summer and had no problem

veteran
11-04-2007, 11:28
Info about the Blackburn Trail Center from the PATC:

http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=87&Itemid=37

StarLyte
11-04-2007, 11:49
You won't have any problems parking there, even during busy hiker season there is parking room. You will have to park at the "Trailhead" parking signs and not up by the cabin though. The upper parking lot by the center is for handicap, caretakers, etc. It's a steep walk up, go early :D

There are 2 paths/blue blazes going up to the A.T./ridge: one on the right is a more direct hike up, steep and beautiful stone stairway, and 1/2 way up on this side you can see one of the campground areas - it's real nice. The other blue blaze going up to the A.T. can be accessed directly behind Blackburn, you'll see an old stone staircase, this way is switchbacks. On a warm day, you'll see lots of big black snakes-they are awesome.

Don't forget to stop in at Blackburn and say hello...Red Wing and Hopeful will soon be the caretakers at Bears Den so they'll be leaving soon. Queen Diva moving on. Don't know if Trailboss has a new caretaker(s) at Blackburn yet or not. I wish I could relocate right now, I would beg for that job.

BTW, the carriage house (next to Blackburn) upstairs unit will soon be the new caretaker's quarters... inlaid pine and wood stove...beautiful! I slept up there several times.

Whereabouts is the work you all are doing in that area? And thank you for your volunteer service !!!

(I didn't read all the previous posts; don't know if any of this info was covered)

Sly
11-04-2007, 11:53
Don't know if Trailboss has a new caretaker(s) at Blackburn yet or not. I wish I could relocate right now, I would beg for that job.

Do they have DSL? :)

Skyline
11-04-2007, 12:32
I am a PATC member that would like to take a group on an overnight backpacking trip from Blackburn to David Lesser and back. We are looking at Dec 1/2 2007 Would like to know if we can park two vehicles at or near Blackburn overnight. I have stopped at Blackburn before but can't recall if there's any parking. I'm sure it's limited.

There is ample parking below Blackburn Center, at designated spaces along the unpaved road you take to drive up there. The caretakers and PATC strongly discourage parking right up near the main house.

StarLyte
11-04-2007, 13:07
Do they have DSL? :)

No. Dial-up.

Harpers Ferry has a coffee shop now that has wifi :D

Sly
11-04-2007, 13:38
Guess I won't be doing any care taking at the Blackburn Trail Center then. I may, however, drink lots of coffee in Harpers Ferry! ;)

veteran
11-04-2007, 15:47
Don't know if Trailboss has a new caretaker(s) at Blackburn yet or not. I wish I could relocate right now, I would beg for that job.
[/QUOTE]

http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=454&Itemid=149

Sly
11-04-2007, 17:07

http://potomacappalachian.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=454&Itemid=149

I'm available but then I wouldn't be able to hike. :( Plus, I'm not sure I want to cater to demanding hikers. :mad: The cool ones are OK. :) If they had DSL I'd consider it. :D

Ashman
04-14-2008, 10:11
We stopped to get water but should have left our packs up top. The decent to and acent from was one of the hardest of the day!

StarLyte
04-14-2008, 10:39
We stopped to get water but should have left our packs up top. The decent to and acent from was one of the hardest of the day!

Ewww that IS a steep walk up isn't it ! :D:D

There are 2 blue blazes / paths that lead to the mountaintop above Blackburn: switchbacks or the stone staircase (some of that being a handbuilt wood staircase). If you took the latter, you get to see the great campground midway. Nice tent pads, privy, campfire ring. I slept there several times and loved it. Great place for boy scouts too. I think there are 4 - 5 tent pads, so if you hike down from the A.T., this campground is only 1/2 way down to Blackburn. But hike all the way down to Blackburn. There's a great hiker cabin with a wood stove, or you can tent outside.

At the top of the mountain on the A.T., is the one the best areas to view rattlers. There is an area there between these large boulders and rocks that the rattlers love to sunbathe, which is also a pathway to the opposite side of that mountaintop that leads to a beautiful view of Leesburg VA.

Obviously the less steep/hardest is the switchbacks ;)

When you're hiking and see the sign for Blackburn going northbound, the first blue blaze is the switchback, second is the stone staircase. Take either, but hike down into Blackburn - you'll be glad you did.

I neglected to write that our dear friend Weathercarrot is responsible for most of the stonework there. Also, the Cadillac Trail Crew / PATC maintains the center, grounds, area, Trail, not to mention what work our valued caretakers do! (Wish I could claim that title-darn.) There are others that maintain the Trail in that area, individuals. You know who you are :)

Ashman
04-14-2008, 12:00
Does anyone know the mailing adress for the center?

BTW

StarLyte
04-14-2008, 12:27
Does anyone know the mailing adress for the center?

BTW

per ALDHA directory...

Blackburn Trail Center
34899 Appalachian Trail Road
Round Hill VA 20141
540-338-9028

Jo-To
07-20-2008, 21:13
I stayed at Blackburn last while doing a few days going sobo. This place was nice! The water was a real treat as well as Eric & Tina who ran. I would definetly stop by again and recommend to anyone looking for a little break from the trail.

minnesotasmith
07-23-2008, 16:18
per ALDHA directory...

Blackburn Trail Center
34899 Appalachian Trail Road
Round Hill VA 20141
540-338-9028

Do they accept maildrops? :D

dessertrat
07-23-2008, 16:49
Blackburn is nice. The hardest thing about it is how far downhill it is from the trail! (The day I left there, the climb back up to the trail was the most climb of the day). But then we all say we like the exercise, right?

hopefulhiker
07-23-2008, 17:59
The hardest thing about that place for me was all the wood chopping and hauling we did.

We set up at least a chord or two of wood for that guy.

Slap Happy, Holden, Crazy Horse, me and a couple of others worked for about two hours that morning in 2005....

Pretty place, slept on the porch, Crazy Horse played guitar, and we were fed pancakes for our efforts.

bluesky62/07
07-23-2008, 19:10
went thru 07 great stay. very large spaghetti dinner. awesome people.

maddi
02-24-2009, 22:21
Is there any cost with staying at the Blackburn Trail Center? Camping and/or the hiker's cabin?

Thanks!

Blissful
02-24-2009, 23:58
They appreciate donations.

Dogwood
02-25-2009, 03:19
Not sure who the current residents are now, but a GREAT place!

DanSea
02-25-2009, 04:02
Stayed the night there last summer on a short trip with a couple of friends. Friendly people, nice porch and superb popsicles.

StarLyte
02-25-2009, 06:27
Is there any cost with staying at the Blackburn Trail Center? Camping and/or the hiker's cabin?

Thanks!

You can phone and ask away...540-338-9028

You can hike in and stay at the hiker cabin. They like for you to check in at the main cabin - sign in, say hello, catch a meal. The caretakers stay in the carriage house now instead of the main cabin.

There's water from a faucet on the outside of the main cabin on the side of the parking lot.

There's a stove in the hiker cabin - there is wood around to stock it with.

If you're hiking nobo, take the 2nd blue blaze down to Blackburn. BOTH paths/blue blazes go directly down to the main cabin. The first one is a switchback, the 2nd one is a stone path - 1/2 way down you'll see a great campground with tent pads, privy. No running water here.

Eventually, you'll see the caretakers even if they cannot answer the phone.

In warmer weather...the ridge above Blackburn is the home of many rattlesnakes...keep your eyes open. Beautiful black snakes too that travel very quickly :D

Make it a stop, you will appreciate it.

Sly
02-25-2009, 08:49

Thanks!

No charge to stay at BTC.

middle to middle
02-25-2009, 14:36
I walked in on a cold day, not a sole there, this was years ago, I built a fire plenty of chopped wood I slept on a leather couch and loved it ! Also used telephone on porch ! NICE

StarLyte
02-25-2009, 17:34
No charge to stay at BTC.

You are correct again dear Companion Wizard (I like that Tricks)...

There is a donation box.

The hiker cabin is available to anyone, hopefully hikers can donate something.

Thru-hikers also get a nice dinner - if a hiker is there prior to cooking so the caretakers can plan.

It is owned by the PATC.

The main cabin, the cabin with the wrap-around porch, can be rented if you are a member of the PATC.

maddi
02-25-2009, 21:01
Thanks for all of the information. But now you have me thinking...can non-thru-hikers buy a meal? It seems like there would be good company. And would they be there in early March? Many thanks!

maddi
03-09-2009, 18:51
Stayed at BTC Friday night. The new caretaker, Brian, is awesome. Cooked a great meal, very friendly, has the place in good shape. Brian, if you see this, thanks again for everything. Watching the sun rise from in front of the main house is a great way to spend the morning. (Nicholas)

roy_hiking
02-11-2010, 18:19
WARNING!!! NOTICE!!!
:banana:banana
Last year I was going to the "Pit" to take a leak. I was in my clogs and stepped on a rusty nail, which went over a inch into my foot. Wear BOOTS anytime you leave the porch!!! The caretaker said the nail a washed out when it rains. Hope signs have been posted around the pouch.

Blissful
02-11-2010, 22:11
And make sure your tetanus shots are up to date.

ATsawyer
02-12-2010, 19:06
Because Blackburn can sleep so many people, PATC often uses it for a training venue. I attended a Griphoist workshop there taught by Fred Lashley (we built some of the stone staircase above Blackburn) and later I taught a course there on traditional tools. Not everyone who rents it is a maintainer though, which makes for some interesting hiker-renter interactions.

But I must add my own snake story to the many, and it may explain why there are so many snake stories associated with BTC. While visiting Blackburn in April 2003, I ran into a fellow who was a self-described snakemeister. He was on his way to a snake den near there and asked if I wanted to join him. How could I pass up that op? He started over the mountain and we walked a LONG way, eventually coming to an overlook. As we approached the overlook, he slowed down and said "walk where I walk and step where I step". Soon it seem that every rock I stepped on had a buzzing sound beneath it. At the overlook, there were dozens of snakes-- mostly timber rattlers, but some copperheads, still denned up from the winter, but coiled in the sun on southwest-facing ledges. My companion lifted many with a hooked pole and took notes on their size, coloring, etc. He stated that later in the spring all the snakes would disperse and would do so within a narrow period of time. If one happened to be hiking near there on that day, it would be snakes-a-plenty on the Trail.

Interesting the people you meet at Blackburn Trail Center.

IronGutsTommy
01-13-2011, 14:46
i gave em ten bucks for my stay. well worth it with a door on the shelter and a wood burning stove INSIDE it as well. they invited me into the house for dinner and were very accomodating. it usually has ptac workers staying there and the nearby bears den hostel. i agree desert rat, the blue blaze back up to the AT is a heck of a way to start a morning. ive come to believe that all the signs and books say "0.2 miles on blue blazed trail" regardless of actual distance. i always dreaded the downhill blueblazes towards a shelter because it guarantees a fairly uncomfortable "good morning" during the return to the white blazes when your minds still in your sleeping bag and your bodys protesting such a rough beginnning.