PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for 3-day, 2night hike in NC?

RaleighGuy
05-26-2004, 15:54
I'm interested in hiking for 3 days or and spending 2 nights on the trail somewhere in NC. Can anyone suggest a good starting point and ending point? I've never hiked the AT before and figured this would be a good introduction to it. Also was thinking that I could get a shuttle back to my car but I'll figure that out after I figure out where I'm going to start and finish first. Any suggestions would be great.

Jan

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 16:32
perhaps you can start at Newfound gap in the smokies and walk the first night to Ice water spring shelter..then take the boulevard trail over to Mt Leconte shelter for the second night...then down the alum cave bluff trail back hwy 441 ..it should be easy enough to find a ride back to newfound and your car from folk that parked at alum cave bluff traihead for a night at the lodge.

RaleighGuy
05-26-2004, 18:34
Not that yours isn't good, just want to hear others. :-)

Thanks again for replying!

Chip
05-26-2004, 19:29
If you can get a Great Smokies trail map you can see the possibilities. There are trail loops all along the AT. Do you like long range views ? Bet you do !
You can start on the AT after crossing Fontana Dam and hike up to Shuckstack Fire Tower to start with. Hike on up the trail create your loop by going left on Twenty Mile loop trail or hike on up to Gregory Bald Trail. The blueberries are great up on Gregory, last week in July to first week in August.
Might see a bear or deer or two. There is a trail in between ( Long Hungry) so you can shorten your hike if needed or go down Wolf Ridge trail down to Twenty Mile loop trail that will take you back to the AT, head south 4 miles
back to Fontana Dam and the parking lot at the AT trailhead. That is just one of many that you can create off the AT. I like SmokyMtnSteve's idea !! Never done that one. I think I am going to give that one a try this summer. ;) Thanks for the tip SmokyMtnSteve (if you read this reply) :clap
Best of luck to you Raleigh Guy, hope you get a map, it's alot of fun planning a loop off the AT in the Smokies. :) Great view from Shuckstack
fire tower and Gregory Bald and if you hike Steve's trail plan + Mt. Leconte to the list. On the northeast side of the Smokies look for the Low Gap Trail off the AT to Swallow Fork trail to Mt. Sterling Trail and another fire tower to climb with super views, early morning at sunrise and later in the day at sunset. Another stretch on the AT is from Davenport (I-40) gap to Max Patch (state road at the base of the mountain). Depending on the number of miles you hike per day you could go as far as Hot Springs in 3 days. Hope these ideas are of some help.
Happy Trails,
Chip

Groucho
05-26-2004, 22:55
Not that yours isn't good, just want to hear others. :-)

Thanks again for replying!

Smokies: many good hikes. If you do the SMS hike try to include Charlie's Bunion.

I-40 to Hot Springs is a good trip.

Roan Highlands from Carver's Gap to Dennis Cove is one of my favorites, and with the new relo, it looks even better. Bob Peoples at Kincorra Hostel may be able to shuttle if he isn't too busy.

From Raleigh, there are many places in VA that are quicker to get to than most in NC. I talk to people that aren't aware of that.

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 23:01
Standing Indian has a lot of connector trails you can make some good loop hikes on using the park as a car base. Nice mountains and streams without the crowds of the Smokies.

bobgessner57
05-27-2004, 00:26
Raleighguy:
All of the posts above are good and almost any section of the trail can be a gem. How many miles do you want to put in? How much ascent, descent, will this be your first backpacking or just first time on the AT?

The idea of heading into Virginia from Raleigh can save you a lot of drive time. Mount Rogers is a lot closer than the Smokies. The AT combined with side trails will allow for loops there. Near Charlottesville at Mount Pleasant is another good loop opportunity using the AT and the Hotel and other side trails. Both of these areas are about 4 hours more or less from Raleigh, depending on the time of day and what traffic bottlenecks are to be reckoned with.

You can get maps of all of the areas mentioned on this thread at REI or Great Outdoor Provision Co. Get Outdoors at Falls lake Dam may have some, too.
PM me if you want more details. I have hiked a number of interesting long weekend trips within a short drive of the triangle.

springerfever
05-27-2004, 12:43
I would second SGT Rock's recommendation....Standing Indian...No shuttle required; just park at either the campground or Backcountry Parking and hike either the Long Branch or Kimsey Creek trail up to the AT. Both Standing Indian and Albert Mountain offer outstanding views and this time of year..late May to mid-June...the native azaleas/rhododendron and mountain laurel are in bloom.
Spectacular !!!!

If you are hiking north on the AT (which in this area can be geographically south!) and are planning on staying at the Carter Gap shelter, keep your eyes open. The old shelter is on the left.....a few hundred yards later on the right is the new shelter.........

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 12:49
the Standing Indian area is very nice ...Rainbow springs campground and hiker hostel is also nearby