PDA

View Full Version : JLB Is A Troll

Alligator
05-26-2004, 17:02
FYI-JLB is completely FOS. He is a former member of glocktalk.com. TOO BAD THEY BOOTED YOU JLB. He was kicked off in April 2004 I believe. Of course, this being the internet, he rejoined glocktalk.com as “Mr. Mxyzptlk”. A really sweet post by Mr. Mxyzptlk was logged just this morning around 8:00.

Glock Talk > The Club House > The Wheelhouse > .357 for black bear

.357 for black bear
I'm hitting the AT for a month later this summer, and will be carrying my Smith 386SC Mountain Lite .357 with a 3" barrel. It weighs in at 16 oz, and will be a last ditch weapon for protection against bears and nasty hippies. I know a .357 is light for a black bear (perfect for hippies), but I am a good shot, and 7 rounds of .357 beats a sharp stick.

I also have a .44 mag Mountain Gun, but it's too large and heavy for a gun to carry with a full pack, so the .357 has to do.

What bullet weight should I use? I'm thinking heavy solids for penetration. What do you think?

~~ Bush/Cheney 2004 ~~
One of JLB’s first posts here at whiteblaze.net was
Poll: do you carry a gun on the AT Post #50

My trail gun is a Smith & Wesson Model 386 .357 Magnum. It has the liteweight Scanduim frame, and Titanium cylinder, and weighs only 17 oz.

A Glock would be a great choice, due to it's resistence to corrosion.
I guess that Mr. Mxyzptlk won’t be your trail name, will it now? Guess you’re afraid of them big bad bears. Back under the bridge troll, nobody wants you here. For verification, the interested reader can go to glocktalk.com, search on JLB and mr. mxyzptlk.

P. S. Did you get busted out of uspoliticsonline too?

steve hiker
05-26-2004, 17:27
FYI-JLB is completely FOS. He is a former member of glocktalk.com. TOO BAD THEY BOOTED YOU JLB. He was kicked off in April 2004 I believe.
What's your problem Alligator? So what if JLB was booted from another forum. Who hasn't?

Seems Alligator's got an axe to grind.

Streamweaver
05-26-2004, 17:29
Who cares??!! How about leaving the petty little mudslinging to the polititions!! So hes a member of a gun forum ,so what?? How does that make him a troll??? Streamweaver

eyahiker
05-26-2004, 17:54
FIRST BEFORE YOU READ THIS: I AM NOT SPEAKING OUT HERE REGARDING EITHER SIDE OF THE GUNS ARE GOOD/GUNS ARE BAD ARGUMENT!

You guys obviously don't give a poot about what this guy is posting here, Alligator is right on the money here..... I've also done some homework on JLB as well as his braggings about his competing/ISDA and the Pistol club down in Titusville, Mr. JLB doesn't realize this is a very, very small world.

You guys who are just prancing along here on WB and telling a totally new individual all about what you DON"T carry for a weapon on trail, this is just not common sense.

Did you ever stop to take a look that he posted over 36 times in his first 24 hours here? Look at his profile below! He's leveling out at least he's down to 16 per day, and trying hard to start new posts that don't involve the gun issue to lead you all down the 'he's not such a bad guy' road.

It is just stupid to give out information to this guy, regardless of whether he is carrying a gun on the trail or not. If one of YOU were a criminal - wouldn't this be a great place to DO SOME EASY DEMOGRAPHICS on who is carrying or NOT CARRYING what, where you can hunt, etc. etc. He's not a hiker, hasn't a pair of boots yet, and is bringing a child along with his gun.

Please note: I do not have a gun issue and this is NOT MY POINT.

Just use your heads folks....... he is TROLL.

Feel free to fall for this BS from this guy if you'd like, but PLEASE GO BACK AND READ EVERY ONE OF HIS POSTS FIRST. According to him, his real initials are JLB, they check out.

You can find out more about the FL ISDA here
http://mywebpage.netscape.com/clownno1/homepage.htm
http://www.cfrpc.com/IDPA/Archives/Matches/2004_state_match.htm

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Posts</LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Total Posts: 101 (17.29 posts per day) </TD></TR><TR><TD>Find all posts by JLB (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=3298)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2004, 18:10
scary thought that a nut case (not necessarily JLB) would be using our hiking forum for the purpose of knowing where to find unarmed targets....

it is just not a path I even want to go down...

i prefer to keep on my rose colored glasses and trust my fellow hikers...

I didn't visit the gun war thread and think I'll leave this one alone as well. Sue/HH :(

gravityman
05-26-2004, 18:38
Just put him on ignore and you never have to read another post by him.

Streamweaver
05-26-2004, 19:12
scary thought that a nut case (not necessarily JLB) would be using our hiking forum for the purpose of knowing where to find unarmed targets.... Posted by Hammock Hanger

Thats just a little bit paranoid,dont you think?? So somebody finds out I dont have a gun on the trail.Whats he gonna do sit on the trail with a photo of me he got from the gallery ,on the off chance he happens to be there when I come strolling by??!!

You guys obviously don't give a poot about what this guy is posting here, Alligator is right on the money here..... I've also done some homework on JLB as well as his braggings about his competing/ISDA and the Pistol club down in Titusville, Mr. JLB doesn't realize this is a very, very small world.Posted by Eyahiker

So what is he posting that is so bad?? That he competes in gun matches and belongs to a gun club?? Streamweaver

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2004, 19:37
So what is he posting that is so bad?? That he competes in gun matches and belongs to a gun club?? Streamweaver
First let me say I do not know what JLB wrote that was so bad as I did not care to follow the "gun post"... If you look at my post I didn't accuse JLB of anything.

My answer was in response to what had been written by Eyahiker...

Sue/HH

Streamweaver
05-26-2004, 19:51
Hammock Hanger- That question about what LBJ wrote that was so bad was addressed to Eyahiker not you. I wasnt trying to be smart or anything I just think its a bit much to worry about somebody finding out online if you arm armed or not. Streamweaver

Hammock Hanger
05-26-2004, 19:57
I just think its a bit much to worry about somebody finding out online if you arm armed or not. Streamweaver
I'm with you on that... or is that my rose colored glasses??? :p

Sue/HH

Lone Wolf
05-26-2004, 20:05
He's no troll. A pretty goddamned knowledgeable individual. I'm with him. *** Hanoi John. :cool:

eyahiker
05-26-2004, 20:38
Streamweaver, you should go back and read all of his 100+posts in the last 6 days. I really don't care and will ignore him from now on.....I'll put on my rose colored glasses. Embrace who you will, I have no problem with this.
Too bad he doesn't know much more about hiking except the gun he'll carry, otherwise he could actually be of some use here.

Otherwise, JLB thinks we're a bunch of 'nasty hippies' that are out to get him (thus the need for a firearm ) Is THIS the kind of person YOU want to embrace all you nasty hippie/hiker folks?

Hey L. Wolf, I didn't say he was stupid. Just a TROLL by the definition itself. ;)

shades of blue
05-26-2004, 20:56
Personally, I don't care if someone carries a gun or not. I grew up around guns (my father and brothers are hunters). The big deal for me about guns is the attitude and knowledge of the person who carries the weapon. If this is the same guy who wrote the post (paraphrase) this particular gun is a little light for black bear, but just right for hippies....that flippant attitude makes me nervous. He probably was joking......but do we know? Is this guy a troll....ummmm. What bugs me about him is the banners about Kerry and the force feeding of his beliefs on to others. Even though I don't like Bush...I don't call him devient or evil. I don't feel this forum is the place to post banners and ads for political campaignes. Someone mentioned just placing him on ignore. I'm close to doing that, but if he isn't a troll....and is just...well....not well socialized, I might miss out on something useful. My .02. :confused:

Noggin
05-26-2004, 21:12
Talk about paranoia. Eyeahiker, you really need to get a hobby, or a job, or something else to do with your idle time.

JLB is stalking Whiteblaze members to see who isn't armed? So he can find an unarmed thru-hiker to ambush on the 2,100 mile AT? Give me a break.

Eyeahiker has also searched the Florida gun competition directories for anyone with the initials JLB. There are contestents who have those initials. I guess that means we know who shot Kennedy, huh eyeahiker? Maybe JLB really is a competitive shooter. We all know what THAT means.

Looks like the Christian in eyeahiker has finally found a witch to hunt.

smokymtnsteve
05-26-2004, 21:16
Snake stick, you better run quick
Hide your likker up Lufty Creek
You been helling around, but you're gonna be found
By the forked tongue of the snake stick

No finer sport than hunting man
Better get back to the sugarland

Run ol' Ruff, make an exit Buck,
Tell ol' Jake he's out of luck

A monkey chased a lizard ridin'
On the rattling tail of the snake stick
Stabbed at him with a devil's trident
On the rattling tail of the snake stick

JLB
05-26-2004, 21:30
FYI-JLB is completely FOS. He is a former member of glocktalk.com. TOO BAD THEY BOOTED YOU JLB. He was kicked off in April 2004 I believe. Of course, this being the internet, he rejoined glocktalk.com as “Mr. Mxyzptlk”. A really sweet post by Mr. Mxyzptlk was logged just this morning around 8:00.

Glock Talk > The Club House > The Wheelhouse > .357 for black bear

One of JLB’s first posts here at whiteblaze.net was
Poll: do you carry a gun on the AT Post #50

I guess that Mr. Mxyzptlk won’t be your trail name, will it now? Guess you’re afraid of them big bad bears. Back under the bridge troll, nobody wants you here. For verification, the interested reader can go to glocktalk.com, search on JLB and mr. mxyzptlk.

P. S. Did you get busted out of uspoliticsonline too?

Gee, I didn't know that being a member of multiple forums made you a troll. I guess that makes you a troll too, right?

I've made no secret that I plan to carry a gun. I've made no secret that it is to be used for self defense against anything I may come across.

So it looks like you have nothing to complain about. :bse

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 21:32
I think what may bother some people about JLB (I hope he reads this) is that while he admits he knows little about hiking and wants to learn from other hikers, he does not listen to them on something that bothers a lot of them to the point of arguments that have nothing to do about backpacking in the first place.

Allow me to quantify that: there were questions about trash disposal and bagging it that a lot of even novice hiker would find pretty basic, and he was ribbed about it and his favorite topic which is guns. Yet despite the fact that he admits he wants advice on many things, he does nothing but argue with others about the basic premis that he doesn't need to pack heat on a trail as mild as the AT. I think the fairly off topic dirctions some of the threads he participates go into and sometimes cavalier attitude about the advice from experinced hikers has put a lot of people way off about his real intent.

The fact that many people have told him you don't need a gun and please don't bring one around them only seems to provoke his second amendment banter and his further his intent to argue why he needs one. Yet he is missing the entire point by doing this: If you asked our advise about hiking, then please take it.

If we went to a gun site and wanted to know what water filter to take to protect ourselves from waterborne parasites in the drinking fountain when attending the next NRA meeting, he would probably tell us that is is totally unessissary and think it silly. We could cite specific instances where people got bacteria from public water and the great protective records of Sweetwater filter's protection and the fact that if everyone filtered all their water the world would be a safer place and how the constitution guarentees our right to filter water and carry a filter. But the point still is it is silly to think you would need a filter at a gun show and it is also silly to think you need a gun on the AT.

JLB
05-26-2004, 21:35
FIRST BEFORE YOU READ THIS: I AM NOT SPEAKING OUT HERE REGARDING EITHER SIDE OF THE GUNS ARE GOOD/GUNS ARE BAD ARGUMENT!

You guys obviously don't give a poot about what this guy is posting here, Alligator is right on the money here..... I've also done some homework on JLB as well as his braggings about his competing/ISDA and the Pistol club down in Titusville, Mr. JLB doesn't realize this is a very, very small world.

You guys who are just prancing along here on WB and telling a totally new individual all about what you DON"T carry for a weapon on trail, this is just not common sense.

Did you ever stop to take a look that he posted over 36 times in his first 24 hours here? Look at his profile below! He's leveling out at least he's down to 16 per day, and trying hard to start new posts that don't involve the gun issue to lead you all down the 'he's not such a bad guy' road.

It is just stupid to give out information to this guy, regardless of whether he is carrying a gun on the trail or not. If one of YOU were a criminal - wouldn't this be a great place to DO SOME EASY DEMOGRAPHICS on who is carrying or NOT CARRYING what, where you can hunt, etc. etc. He's not a hiker, hasn't a pair of boots yet, and is bringing a child along with his gun.

Please note: I do not have a gun issue and this is NOT MY POINT.

Just use your heads folks....... he is TROLL.

Feel free to fall for this BS from this guy if you'd like, but PLEASE GO BACK AND READ EVERY ONE OF HIS POSTS FIRST. According to him, his real initials are JLB, they check out.

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Posts</LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Total Posts: 101 (17.29 posts per day) </TD></TR><TR><TD>Find all posts by JLB (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=3298)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>
Hey goofball. They are my inititials, and I do shoot IDPA. I told you I didn't shoot the 2004 State match, and I told you the club I shoot at.

I do own a pair of boots,as i used them when I day hiked in Glacier and Yellowstone.

Looks like you were exactly as I thought when I saw through your feeble attempt to act like you were interested in shooting, but were just being a dick instead. :bse

JLB
05-26-2004, 21:42
Talk about paranoia. Eyeahiker, you really need to get a hobby, or a job, or something else to do with your idle time.

JLB is stalking Whiteblaze members to see who isn't armed? So he can find an unarmed thru-hiker to ambush on the 2,100 mile AT? Give me a break.

Eyeahiker has also searched the Florida gun competition directories for anyone with the initials JLB. There are contestents who have those initials. I guess that means we know who shot Kennedy, huh eyeahiker? Maybe JLB really is a competitive shooter. We all know what THAT means.

Good post. This guy is a hypocrite if he's posting the bible, then sneaking trying to gather dirt on me. :rolleyes:

JLB
05-26-2004, 21:48
I think what may bother some people about JLB (I hope he reads this) is that while he admits he knows little about hiking and wants to learn from other hikers, he does not listen to them on something that bothers a lot of them to the point of arguments that have nothing to do about backpacking in the first place.

Allow me to quantify that: there were questions about trash disposal and bagging it that a lot of even novice hiker would find pretty basic, and he was ribbed about it and his favorite topic which is guns. Yet despite the fact that he admits he wants advice on many things, he does nothing but argue with others about the basic premis that he doesn't need to pack heat on a trail as mild as the AT. I think the fairly off topic dirctions some of the threads he participates go into and sometimes cavalier attitude about the advice from experinced hikers has put a lot of people way off about his real intent.

The fact that many people have told him you don't need a gun and please don't bring one around them only seems to provoke his second amendment banter and his further his intent to argue why he needs one. Yet he is missing the entire point by doing this: If you asked our advise about hiking, then please take it.

If we went to a gun site and wanted to know what water filter to take to protect ourselves from waterborne parasites in the drinking fountain when attending the next NRA meeting, he would probably tell us that is is totally unessissary and think it silly. We could cite specific instances where people got bacteria from public water and the great protective records of Sweetwater filter's protection and the fact that if everyone filtered all their water the world would be a safer place and how the constitution guarentees our right to filter water and carry a filter. But the point still is it is silly to think you would need a filter at a gun show and it is also silly to think you need a gun on the AT.

Maybe we are all talking about guns BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE KEEP BRINGING IT UP?

I have not mentioned guns except on the threads where they were discussed, or where I was attacked.

I have a water filter, btw. It's a First Need Deluxe, and filters out even viruses.

As far as advice, I'll ask you for advice, such as what equipment to use, but I am not going to put myself or my family at risk just because some of you are scared of guns. That is your problem, not mine. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 21:53
Ahh, but a gun is equipment. If you asked what climbing gear to bring to make it up Albert Mountain, we would also say you don't need it. You could easly argue that there is a chance of falling off Albert and killing yourself without a good swiss seat, carabineers, and all the rest, but the fact is it is so highly unlikely that you need not bother with the weight or hassle. The same could be said about a snake bite kit, GPS, or some other gadget.Yet a gun by it's nature is a lot more devise than the climbing equipment. If someone tells you this you actully insult them by saying it is their problem and not yours, yet you are the one making the issue of the gun and it's need.

Kozmic Zian
05-26-2004, 21:58
Yea.....JBL. Believe what you want, but what eya is trying to say is this guy (JLB) or whatever his name is, might not have all his screws together and out on the Trail with a deadly weapon. He may be lying about his 'shooting experiences' in FL in order to make naieve hikers on WB believe he's a 'legitimate concealer', for some unknown reason. All I can say about it is that this guy, came on pretty strong with his pro-gun position at a web-site that is decidedly anti-gun (check the poll). Why would he want to do that? Unless he just wanted to be an AH and stir things up real good and play with peoples heads. I personally, don't like those kinds of games. Seems he does. I don't trust people like that, and again, wish they did't have to be here, but it's a free net, right. The gun issue is very volotile in this country, with all the murders and crime, etc. Anyone with discretion and solidity about themselves wouldn't come into a forum like WB and create as much animosity and anxiety as he did and have all the screws in place. Get where I'm comin' from? Guys, he definitely got off on all the attention he was receiveing, why else would he make so many posts in so short a time. Go to his public viewing area and check out his post.....nearly all except the 'bluff' post eya was talking about are violent and about how great it is to carry around, concealed, sos nobody knows your carrying, a violent deadly weapon. That to me is not what I'm about. I'd rather meet a man on the Trail and not have to worry about weather he's carrying a deadly weapon or not. He (JLB) says if he was carrying, no one would know 'untill he had to take care of business'. Jeeezzz....what does that imply? Read all about it, see the real thing....then form an educated opinion about this guy.....Troll, that's putting it mildly.....more like dangerous felon. We've already discussed the legality of carrying on the Trail. Check out the state by state laws and you'll find that they vary wildly. It would be very difficult for a non-law enforcement officer to carry a concealed weapon on the Appalachian Trail, without dirision or concern by somebody that they(the concealer) would meet. It would be very hard to conceal a handgun on the Trail for the time it takes for a LDH, with the intensity of contact with other hikers and people along the way. I say it's not too smart an idea and can only cause problems, like taking along a biting, mean dog (usually the owners fault)....or any number of things that the ATC and USFS and other authoritive offices recommend be left at home. It's too bad that this has had to happen, but you know, the world is full of unsavory characters.....but we don't have to tolerate overbearing, dangerous bullies and thugs who think they can run the world from the end of a handgun. If you read this, thank you for your indulgence and I hope you can understand that this posts is not intended to belittle one group or the other, but to clarify the significance of one individual and their relationship to the WB, IMHO. KZ@

p.s. You know, could it be that naieve non-hiker types believe that the AT is 'wild' and far removed from civilization, dangerous like the old west, with grizzes, and wildcats and other guys with guns.....naaawwww. Too much like a 'Zane Gray' novel.;)

JLB
05-26-2004, 22:03
Ahh, but a gun is equipment. If you asked what climbing gear to bring to make it up Albert Mountain, we would also say you don't need it. You could easly argue that there is a chance of falling off Albert and killing yourself without a good swiss seat, carabineers, and all the rest, but the fact is it is so highly unlikely that you need not bother with the weight or hassle. The same could be said about a snake bite kit, GPS, or some other gadget.Yet a gun by it's nature is a lot more devise than the climbing equipment. If someone tells you this you actully insult them by saying it is their problem and not yours, yet you are the one making the issue of the gun and it's need.
But in the end, I am the one who decides what I will do. I don't need anyone's advice on guns, as I probably know far more about them than most of you. I did not ask anyone's opinion on if I should carry a gun. You volunteered your opinion, and I have listened, and offered mine.

JLB
05-26-2004, 22:09
Yea.....JBL. Believe what you want, but what eya is trying to say is this guy (JLB) or whatever his name is, might not have all his screws together and out on the Trail with a deadly weapon. He may be lying about his 'shooting experiences' in FL in order to make naieve hikers on WB believe he's a 'legitimate concealer', for some unknown reason.;)
Luckily, this is a free country, and I don't have to prove anything to you to be able to exercise my freedoms.

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 22:11
Yes, that is true. But when we tell you why you don't need them, and you tell us we are wrong because of argument A. B. or C. it does shoot your credibility. Maybe you have a lot of experience with guns, maybe I have more experience with guns than you do. But you will never know unless you listen instead of argue the point.

JLB
05-26-2004, 22:16

Here is a post on Glock Talk where I reference shooting in the 2003 Florida State Championships:
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=157309&highlight=IDPA

Here is another:
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=164572&highlight=IDPA

So if I am a phony IDPA shooter, then I have been hatching this plot since May of 2003, just to fool you.

Put your tin foil hat on. :bse

JLB
05-26-2004, 22:18
Yes, that is true. But when we tell you why you don't need them, and you tell us we are wrong because of argument A. B. or C. it does shoot your credibility. Maybe you have a lot of experience with guns, maybe I have more experience with guns than you do. But you will never know unless you listen instead of argue the point.

Listening is a two way street. I don't get my gun advice from guys who squeal at the sight of a gun (not meaning you).

steve hiker
05-26-2004, 23:08
Yes, that is true. But when we tell you why you don't need them, and you tell us we are wrong because of argument A. B. or C. it does shoot your credibility.
Not really, unless SGT Rock's opinion is the only valid opinion.

JLB
05-26-2004, 23:10

Exactly.

Allow me to buy you a beer, someday. :D

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 23:18
Naw, my opinion ain't the only one, and I'm not always right. I think my aim was more to point out why people have problems with JLB. Note I said "we" and I didn't mean the royal we. :D

JLB
05-26-2004, 23:26
Naw, my opinion ain't the only one, and I'm not always right. I think my aim was more to point out why people have problems with JLB. Note I said "we" and I didn't mean the royal we. :D

I don't have a problem with them being wrong, so why should they have a problem with me? :D

The Old Fhart
05-26-2004, 23:27
JLB-“ Gee, I didn't know that being a member of multiple forums made you a troll.“
Quite frankly I don’t care what you call yourself or what others call you. The real problem is that your only purpose on this board and the others you have been banned from is to be disruptive. Other boards that have banned you have figured it out as well.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=234513&highlight=jlb
Glock Talk > Main Room > General Non-Glocking > JLB banned again!
It seems that JLB has done the impossible. He got banned from www.glocksunlocked.com That sight is sort of like Glocktalk, but with fewer restrictions and less manners. Fighting was allowed.
………. His fighting style was to first give them the facts, then bash them to bits with insults if they continued.
Unfortunately the moderators have a hard time controlling him. The only choice he leaves them is to ban him.

and from another site.............
What I find funny is that he's totally missed the threads on www.pre-ban.com and other gun boards. Their worst "troll" (JLB) didn't come from here, but from another gun board!!!

The irritation with your posts on WB has nothing to do with anyone’s stand on guns or their political beliefs. It has nothing to do with whether you or I read The Shotgun News, or not. It has nothing to do with whether I prefer the Walther P-38 over a .357. It only has to do with you deceptively joining a site that you have no interest in. After being on the web and getting kicked off multiple sites for 10 years you have become a master manipulator. You feign disgust for TrailPlace’s political stance in one breath and in the next, you’re posting your own political bias here, somehow figuring in your own mind that that was a logical segue from one disjointed thought to another. If the problem was actually guns you wouldn't have been banned from the strong pro-gun sites. They saw what we are seeing: a belligerent, egotistical troublemaker.
What others sites have had to deal with from you is what we are now seeing on WB. You started with the “gee I need hiking advice” dumb routine and now you are in full attack mode. You hide behind the bill of rights when in reality you use that as a weapon as well. I actually pity you. It is sad to see anyone who is so insecure and paranoid that their whole raison d’etre is to try to get some perverse gratification by going out of their way to try to disrupt or destroy what others get joy from.

Alligator
05-26-2004, 23:36
Very well said OF.

SGT Rock
05-26-2004, 23:42
OK, how many others besides me are tired of this thread? I cannot see this as constructive to hiking or any other discussion. Votes to kill it?

JLB
05-27-2004, 00:00
Quite frankly I don’t care what you call yourself or what others call you. The real problem is that your only purpose on this board and the others you have been banned from is to be disruptive. Other boards that have banned you have figured it out as well.

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=234513&highlight=jlb
Glock Talk > Main Room > General Non-Glocking > JLB banned again!
It seems that JLB has done the impossible. He got banned from www.glocksunlocked.com (http://www.glocksunlocked.com/) That sight is sort of like Glocktalk, but with fewer restrictions and less manners. Fighting was allowed.
………. His fighting style was to first give them the facts, then bash them to bits with insults if they continued.
Unfortunately the moderators have a hard time controlling him. The only choice he leaves them is to ban him.

and from another site.............
What I find funny is that he's totally missed the threads on www.pre-ban.com (http://www.pre-ban.com/) and other gun boards. Their worst "troll" (JLB) didn't come from here, but from another gun board!!!

The irritation with your posts on WB has nothing to do with anyone’s stand on guns or their political beliefs. It has nothing to do with whether you or I read The Shotgun News, or not. It has nothing to do with whether I prefer the Walther P-38 over a .357. It only has to do with you deceptively joining a site that you have no interest in. After being on the web and getting kicked off multiple sites for 10 years you have become a master manipulator. You feign disgust for TrailPlace’s political stance in one breath and in the next, you’re posting your own political bias here, somehow figuring in your own mind that that was a logical segue from one disjointed thought to another. If the problem was actually guns you wouldn't have been banned from the strong pro-gun sites. They saw what we are seeing: a belligerent, egotistical troublemaker.
What others sites have had to deal with from you is what we are now seeing on WB. You started with the “gee I need hiking advice” dumb routine and now you are in full attack mode. You hide behind the bill of rights when in reality you use that as a weapon as well. I actually pity you. It is sad to see anyone who is so insecure and paranoid that their whole raison d’etre is to try to get some perverse gratification by going out of their way to try to disrupt or destroy what others get joy from.

Gee, I wonder why I have all of this hiking gear, and keep asking questions about my upcoming month on the trail? :bse

JLB
05-27-2004, 00:02
OK, how many others besides me are tired of this thread? I cannot see this as constructive to hiking or any other discussion. Votes to kill it?
I think that anytime a troll starts a thread to bash another member it should be killed, although I am enjoying refuting their nonsense. :rolleyes:

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 00:03
so is that a yes?

JLB
05-27-2004, 00:05
so is that a yes?
Leave it open. I have nothing to hide, and can back up every word I say.

Tha Wookie
05-27-2004, 00:06
Let him keep going... he's doing a great job representing gun-toting republicans. He's not holding it back for the Klan meetings like most of them in my neighborhood. I say let it go, and let him stay. Poor guy has no where else to go....

JLB
05-27-2004, 00:09
Let him keep going... he's doing a great job representing gun-toting republicans. He's not holding it back for the Klan meetings like most of them in my neighborhood. I say let it go, and let him stay. Poor guy has no where else to go....
Yes, we Republicans believe in all the Constitution, not just parts of it. I think you have your facts mixed up. The Democrats were the party of Jim Crow, and their ranking Senator is a Klansmen named Robert Byrd.

The truth hurts.

Alligator
05-27-2004, 00:11

I think it is a disservice to the community to be left unaware of the potential disruption this individual is likely to cause. He has over 14000 posts at glocktalk.com and has already demonstrated a willingness to post substantially here. He also has several aliases there since he was booted. But hey, I'm sure he'll get kicked off sooner or later.

JLB
05-27-2004, 00:24
I think it is a disservice to the community to be left unaware of the potential disruption this individual is likely to cause. He has over 14000 posts at glocktalk.com and has already demonstrated a willingness to post substantially here. He also has several aliases there since he was booted. But hey, I'm sure he'll get kicked off sooner or later.

You are the one causing a disruption by attacking me without cause.

Let me help you so you don't need to tire yourself out doing research on your new obsession:

Yes, I was an active member of Glock Talk for years.

Yes, I was a moderator at Glocksunlocked.

Yes, I am a member of probably 10 gun related web sites currently.

Yes, I have been banned from other web sites. Big deal.

Yes, I am a member of Free Republic, "gasp", a Freeper!

Yes, I have a blog that I write and post for, which is poltitically conservative.

Yes, I am a competitive shooter.

Yes, I carry a concealed weapon.

Yes, I own a fully automatic weapon.

Yes, I race SCCA events with my sports car.

Yes, I play paintball.

Yes, I am going on the AT for a month.

Yes, I own hiking shoes, a tent, a stove, a sleeping bag, a rain jacket, rain pants, a water filter, a flashlight, but not a pack, boots, or cookware, yet...

Now, if there are any other questions you have, I would be happy to answer them for you, otherwise, stop being a troll.

shades of blue
05-27-2004, 07:18
Just curious JLB...where on the AT and when will you be going there...NOBO or SOBO. Enquiring minds want to know.

MOWGLI
05-27-2004, 08:40
Just curious JLB...where on the AT and when will you be going there...NOBO or SOBO. Enquiring minds want to know.

Don't you get it? He's not a hiker or a backpacker. Don't waste another minute of your time. Add this attention seeking individual to your ignore list.

Why do I think this? Anyone from Florida who claims to be a hiker, wouldn't be asking questions about how to deal with bugs on the trail.

Jeffrey Hunter

shades of blue
05-27-2004, 09:02
MOW....I know you are probably right. I guess my concern is that I'm going to be hiking for two months on the AT...starting VERY soon (yea!). This guy concerns me, so I was curious to if our paths would cross. As for ignoring... I have done that to only one person on here (so far). There have been a few people whose posts were rude and over the top....but given time, they actually have given sensible info on hiking. How to weed out the possible good info from the bad attitudes.... Even though I have learned alot about backpacking, and have gained good experience, I still have a lot of things to learn. That's why I'm here. Can I get this from JLB....very doubtful. I probably will ignore, but the teacher in me hates to "cast people into the darkness" of the ignore button. Anyway...that's where I'm coming from.

TJ aka Teej
05-27-2004, 09:03
I've made no secret that I plan to carry a gun.

On the AT? You must not know very much about guns.
May I suggest you enroll in a 'firearms for beginners' class?
You can find the phone number of a local club in your phone book.

MOWGLI
05-27-2004, 09:23

TJ, I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of knowledge about guns. Since the desire to carry a gun on the AT seems to be primarily a "guy" thing, I think it has everything to do with a lack of testicular fortitude. I would recommend the book Courage for Dummies for anyone who thinks it's necessary to carry firearms while backpacking the AT.

Jeffrey Hunter

Lone Wolf
05-27-2004, 09:27
I think carrying water filters and Leki poles are stupid. Guns and cell phones are OK.

Kozmic Zian
05-27-2004, 09:31
Yea.....Only Opinion. No, just one opinion, but not the only one that feels the way he does about this issue. KZ@

Kozmic Zian
05-27-2004, 09:36
Yea......Right On, Old Fhart! And to think he was an educator, too! Retired math teacher.....glad I never had to sit his class. KZ@

Kozmic Zian
05-27-2004, 09:37
Yea......Rock, Kill it!

Lone Wolf
05-27-2004, 09:39
Don't kill it just cuz Koz and the other liberals are skeered of guns.

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 09:42
Naw, I would rather kill it because it has little to do with anything except how much people seem to hate JLB. Can't see how this solves anything, let flame warsgo to e-mail. Lets discuss lightweight beer options for backpackers or something.

Kozmic Zian
05-27-2004, 09:43
Yea......Duhhhhhhhhhhh. KZ@

Lone Wolf
05-27-2004, 09:43
OK Top, you da boss. :D

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 09:53
OK Top, you da boss. :D

L.Wolf, you get a blue blaze on the back of the bike yet?

Lone Wolf
05-27-2004, 09:57
When the novelty of owning a new Harley wears off I'll have a blue-blaze painted on the back fender.

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 10:16

UMMM, JLB seems to be the one you should address, can YOU ACTUALLY post over 100+ times in 6 days, read the PC's.

I didn't say that, you did. I just said that some here are not using common sense if you think this is normal, and you should read the entire gun thread and all of his comments, just use your NOGGIN.......

Eyeahiker has also searched the Florida gun competition directories for anyone with the initials JLB.
No, I just know LOTS of folks.... I have searched nothing.

Maybe JLB really is a competitive shooter. We all know what THAT means.
Good for him, Gun competition is GREAT! But think he can bag a bear on the AT over your head sometime? Or will you not be hiking and on your computer noggin? You two make good company.

I missed the part where JLB, or anyone else said he was a witch, I doubt this highly. Can you quote this somewhere noggin?

If you want to challenge my beliefs, you feel free to PM me anytime. This is just another display of your intolerance and IGNORANCE. This is not a religious thread, we already did that, where were you?

Now, JLB>.....
You are the one causing a disruption by attacking me without cause.

Let me help you so you don't need to tire yourself out doing research on your new obsession:
JLB, listen, you came in here, and think others attacked you, no one did, you stirred a nest of hornets with your I'm carrying a gun on the AT thread, you contradict yourself constantly. as for "our" new obsession, it seems sir, that you are the one obsessed, not only by firearms ( hey, everyone needs a 'hobby' but now you are on here trying to learn every little thing about hiking, your new obsession you want to blend with your gun obsession.

Obsessions are fine, but not when you claim that you are not stirring up angst. Obviously you are, and you don't care. You are starting threads about simple questions that could be answered if you'd go back and read other posts, as well as buy some books and videos, there are lots of other resources too. It's OK to be new, we all have to be at some point in time, but the point that you came in here waving your gun in folks faces...well some just don't like that and the right to their opions.........You are the only one that I know of on here that has a political agenda/photo/propaganda next to their name.

Now, I'm putting on my rose colored glasses and smiling...........:clap .

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 10:28
Lets discuss lightweight beer options for backpackers or something.

or lightweight subsitutes :D

I'll keep quite..as we have already discussed this in person

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 10:40
How about that new beer mix in powder form?

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 10:42
alcohol and guns certainly don't mix.

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 10:45
Now there's a good thought, and a factual one at that.:banana

But the question is, can you stir your beer with the barrell of a gun, if of course it's a powder mix.....??

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 10:51
Hey Tha Wookie......You may be right, he has no where else to go.

He obviously does not have the social grace to leave when so many are against him, as long as he keeps his gun and his big member under wraps, maybe he'll be able to post less than 17 posts average per day, for the past seven days, this is a sad state to be in........

Or maybe he will actually go hiking. Hopefully he will not be hunting his bear over any of our heads. Maybe he;ll tell us all where he is going so we'll know, that is if he really has nothing to hide........;)

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 10:51
How would I know..I use nethier guns nor alcohol..but I do carry a french coffee press..two pots/lid and a frying pan..two spoons , one fork and a spatula.

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 10:55
Can you make a canoli to eat with your coffe in the barrell of a gun, I think Martha Stewart does that in one of her episodes, although I've never actually watched her show.........

I like the spatula............

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 11:00
It is a mini spatula that I got from MRO in damscus..excellent for flipping my organic multi grain cranberry scones in the morning. I enjoy them with the french pressed fair trade organic peruvian coffee.

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 11:27
I have heard the powdered beer tasted like flat, warm, chunky soup, not beer.

Steve, I was just thinking about that conversation.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 11:47
just let me know if you ever decide to go ultralight in that department.. us hikers gotta stick together ..esp us HARDCORE guys :D

kythruhiker
05-27-2004, 12:15

Hammock Hanger
05-27-2004, 12:15
Why do I think this? Anyone from Florida who claims to be a hiker, wouldn't be asking questions about how to deal with bugs on the trail.

Jeffrey Hunter
:jump lol!!!! sue/HH

eyahiker
05-27-2004, 13:59
:jump Yeah well, here in FL we have the Great Flats of the South, you can hike along I-95 and climb up and down the ditches to the swamps! Or better yet, run through Mature Adult Only communities and do some stealth picnic table manuevers and the good old climb up and over the old trailer routine.......ah...

steve hiker
05-27-2004, 14:24
What a riot! :D :banana :bse

I've just saved that pic for a screensaver.

JLB
05-27-2004, 14:58
None of your business.

JLB
05-27-2004, 14:59

Guess again.

They don't let you own guns in Mass., so I can understand your ignorance of them.

JLB
05-27-2004, 15:00
TJ, I don't think it has anything to do with a lack of knowledge about guns. Since the desire to carry a gun on the AT seems to be primarily a "guy" thing, I think it has everything to do with a lack of testicular fortitude. I would recommend the book Courage for Dummies for anyone who thinks it's necessary to carry firearms while backpacking the AT.

Jeffrey Hunter
Why did you feel the need to read that? What did it teach you?

JLB
05-27-2004, 15:05
Now, JLB>.....JLB, listen, you came in here, and think others attacked you, no one did, you stirred a nest of hornets with your I'm carrying a gun on the AT thread, you contradict yourself constantly. as for "our" new obsession, it seems sir, that you are the one obsessed, not only by firearms ( hey, everyone needs a 'hobby' but now you are on here trying to learn every little thing about hiking, your new obsession you want to blend with your gun obsession.
The topic of the thread was "What do you carry on the trail for self defense", and I did not start it. 14 people have admitted to carrying a gun on that thread, but since I am the only one who said it, then you have manufactured all your drama.

Obsessions are fine, but not when you claim that you are not stirring up angst. Obviously you are, and you don't care. You are starting threads about simple questions that could be answered if you'd go back and read other posts, as well as buy some books and videos, there are lots of other resources too. It's OK to be new, we all have to be at some point in time, but the point that you came in here waving your gun in folks faces...well some just don't like that and the right to their opions.........You are the only one that I know of on here that has a political agenda/photo/propaganda next to their name.

Now, I'm putting on my rose colored glasses and smiling...........:clap .
I'm trying to get questions answered from the non a-holes that reside here. Since you are not in that crowd, then just go about your business.

JLB
05-27-2004, 15:08
Hey Tha Wookie......You may be right, he has no where else to go.

He obviously does not have the social grace to leave when so many are against him, as long as he keeps his gun and his big member under wraps, maybe he'll be able to post less than 17 posts average per day, for the past seven days, this is a sad state to be in........

Or maybe he will actually go hiking. Hopefully he will not be hunting his bear over any of our heads. Maybe he;ll tell us all where he is going so we'll know, that is if he really has nothing to hide........;)

It also appears that you have nowhere else to go too. I suggest you get over your prejudices, and chill, for I am not going anywhere.

Lilred
05-27-2004, 16:38
It is a mini spatula that I got from MRO in damscus..excellent for flipping my organic multi grain cranberry scones in the morning. I enjoy them with the french pressed fair trade organic peruvian coffee.

I wanna hike with you.......

SGT Rock
05-27-2004, 16:45
Just don't ask steve for his brownies

Chappy
05-27-2004, 16:46
Naw, I would rather kill it because it has little to do with anything except how much people seem to hate JLB. Can't see how this solves anything, let flame warsgo to e-mail. Lets discuss lightweight beer options for backpackers or something.

I don't drink, but am curious...how much weight do you save by carrying light beer? :D

Lilred
05-27-2004, 16:47

Ruh Roh....

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 16:47

brownies???????

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 16:53

maybe we can do the late summer/early fall blueberry tour.

late aug on Mt rogers till mid-sept on the top of the ole smokies.

I just love blueberry dumplings.

of course it's still not too late this year for a brook Lettuce w/taboule salad before dinner.

maybe a veggie burger with hummus and sauted sundried tomatoes with little olive oil and garlic.

TJ aka Teej
05-27-2004, 17:01
They don't let you own guns in Mass

Silly girl, don't believe everything your daddy whispers in your
ear while he has you bent over the pickup's tail gate.

JLB
05-27-2004, 17:02
Silly girl, don't believe everything your daddy whispers in your
ear while he has you bent over the pickup's tail gate.

That sounds like the voice of experience talking.

Thanks.

mntman777
05-27-2004, 17:03
Well I like and own guns myself. And I have never felt the need to carry on the trail anywhere at anytime. You see i go out there to get away from that kind of society, and mentality. In society/city where ever, i carry. On the trail whats the point. If this kind of mentality gets so bad that i need to start carrying a gun on my trails, then its just time for me to go, if you know what i mean.

Besides, my hand to hand, and knife fighting skills are pretty good. Oh but wait, i don't even carry a knife on the trail, but my hand to hand skills are pretty good. Wait..... my hands are always rapped around my leki poles, gotta rethink this whole thing now.

If someone wants to carry on the trail whatever. Just don't let me know. I was arrested once for steeling firearms. :bse

mntman777
05-27-2004, 17:05
smokymntsteve your making me hungry. quit.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 17:06
I think talking about good food on the trail was a lot more fun...you guys need to be nicer or you will be running all the girls away and I like to talk and hike with the girls..they are a lot of fun to hike with and Ihike to enjoy myself and have fun.

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 17:09
smokymntsteve your making me hungry. quit.

SGT Rock "Just don't ask steve for his brownies"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Poke salad sauted with ramps in olive oil then mixed with organic rainbow veggie spiral noodles topped with a little parmasean.

mntman777
05-27-2004, 17:15
Ok where can i get these recipes, are they your creations?

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 17:20
Just good ole backpacking cooking...Yep my creations, with food from the local co-op

corn chowder with salmon and cilantro.

Tater
05-27-2004, 17:31
Trolls? Someone hunting for trolls?

http://www.trolls.com

Two Speed
05-27-2004, 18:02
Man, is that "ignore list" sweet. Can't make up my mind if I like it or the weather links better!

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 18:04
you can't ignore the weather,,,

cause it rains in the smokies.

mntman777
05-27-2004, 18:09
smokymntsteve, you should put your trail recipes in a book or something. Maybe on line, oh say a forum on hiking. Hey how about WB. You know, if you want to share. :D

smokymtnsteve
05-27-2004, 18:15
Black bean soup with sauted sundried tomatoes (olive oil, garlic and onion) with cilantro corn fritters..makes a nice quick lunch

Briscoe
05-27-2004, 19:17
somewhere. It was FR. I think I saw some of your posts on some Linux/SCO related threads but am not sure. BTW, nice comeback on the Byrd/KKK thing :)

I have a Glock 17 myself. Nice gun. I don't usually carry when I am hiking because I try to keep the weight down.

Anyways, I support your right to pack heat anywhere you friggin want to.

Rain Man
05-27-2004, 19:27

Fickle woman!

LOL

Rain Man, her ex (apparently) hiking partner

:D

JLB
05-27-2004, 19:37
somewhere. It was FR. I think I saw some of your posts on some Linux/SCO related threads but am not sure. BTW, nice comeback on the Byrd/KKK thing :)

I have a Glock 17 myself. Nice gun. I don't usually carry when I am hiking because I try to keep the weight down.

Anyways, I support your right to pack heat anywhere you friggin want to.

Thanks brother. My handle on Free Republic is Republican Extremist, though, so that wasn't me. I'm JLB everywhere else, usually.

steve hiker
05-27-2004, 20:07
BTW, nice comeback on the Byrd/KKK thing.
Hey -- don't knock the Klan.

Streamweaver
05-27-2004, 21:48
Hey -- don't knock the Klan. LOL Oh that aught to get a few interesting replies!! Streamweaver

Lone Wolf
05-27-2004, 21:59
NAAWP.com :D

Briscoe
05-27-2004, 22:19
Thanks brother. My handle on Free Republic is Republican Extremist, though, so that wasn't me. I'm JLB everywhere else, usually.
Okay, thought you were someone else. My nickname on FR is Crispy.

You should be careful, looks like you have a stalker. Eyahiker seems to have an obsession with you. Watch your back!

Briscoe
05-27-2004, 22:22
Hey -- don't knock the Klan.
Uhhhh. Okay........:confused:

Lilred
05-27-2004, 23:12
Fickle woman!

LOL

Rain Man, her ex (apparently) hiking partner

:D

HMMM.....Scones, salmon, peruvian coffee, black bean soup....versus....wasabi peas????? Gee I dunno Rain Man, mighty close call there...... :-? ;)

A-Train
05-28-2004, 00:10
Yew good ole' boys should really chill with the White supremist undertones. This ain't the place son

JLB
05-28-2004, 00:10
Okay, thought you were someone else. My nickname on FR is Crispy.

You should be careful, looks like you have a stalker. Eyahiker seems to have an obsession with you. Watch your back!
His discomfort is my pleasure. :banana

JLB
05-28-2004, 00:12
Yew good ole' boys should really chill with the White supremist undertones. This ain't the place son
You are right! Some of these guys act like they are the ranking Democrat in the Senate, for chrissakes!

Mountain Dew
05-28-2004, 01:09
As I read this post the two things that stand out the most are the liberals coming unglued and JLB carrying a gun while hiking. JLB, I don't know your hiking experience, but carrying a gun won't be needed. You seem to be grounded in facts so I suggest you look into the number of deaths on the A.T. that are directly associated with bear attacks. I say that with no sarcasm. I believe (could be wrong) that there has only been 1 in it's history. You would have better odds winning the lotery than being attacked by a bear on the A.T. I shoot guns myself and grew up doing so. The thought crossed my mind to carry a gun when I started my thru-hike last year, but didn't and the thought now seems silly. Also....remember that carry a gun on most of the miles on the A.T. is a felony which , if caught, would prevent you from even owning a gun again.

Tha Wookie... "Let him keep going... he's doing a great job representing gun-toting republicans. He's not holding it back for the Klan meetings like most of them in my neighborhood. I say let it go, and let him stay. Poor guy has no where else to go...."
( JLB's response)
JLB... "Yes, we Republicans believe in all the Constitution, not just parts of it. I think you have your facts mixed up. The Democrats were the party of Jim Crow, and their ranking Senator is a Klansmen named Robert Byrd." --- That's what I call an AYCE foot in the mouth Wookie. Might I add that Robert Byrd is no longer a member of the Klan. Also...The civil rights bill recieved more Republican votes than it did from the democrapic party. Thanks to Kennedy and the republican party the bill passed.

JLB has managed to mentally disturb every liberal on the website. Although I strongly disagree with his carrying a gun on ANY part of the A.T. I also recognize gun hating liberals starting trouble when I see it. It usually starts with the liberal loud mouth name calling and then flows into claims of "ignore the radical republican"...and finally claims that the republican/conservative started the whole thing. Go back to this threads very first post to find the beginning. Is that beyond a liberals comprehension ?

Personally I'd report a gun carrying hiker to the first law officer I could get a hold of if the hiker had a "I'm CARRYING A GUN/ BIG MAN ATTITUDE", but to look as stupid as some do on this site over the fact that JLB said he will carry a gun is ignorant.

JLB
05-28-2004, 01:32
As I read this post the two things that stand out the most are the liberals coming unglued and JLB carrying a gun while hiking. JLB, I don't know your hiking experience, but carrying a gun won't be needed. You seem to be grounded in facts so I suggest you look into the number of deaths on the A.T. that are directly associated with bear attacks. I say that with no sarcasm. I believe (could be wrong) that there has only been 1 in it's history. You would have better odds winning the lotery than being attacked by a bear on the A.T. I shoot guns myself and grew up doing so. The thought crossed my mind to carry a gun when I started my thru-hike last year, but didn't and the thought now seems silly. Also....remember that carry a gun on most of the miles on the A.T. is a felony which , if caught, would prevent you from even owning a gun again.
My concern is more towards people than animals, but since you mentioned bear attacks, read this, and remember.....Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean somebody isn't out to get you! :D

Black Bear Attacks in the News

Black bears are dangerous. They can and do kill people.

Black bears are curious and adaptable. They quickly become accustomed to human activity, which leads to aggressive food gathering habits. Black bear have also been known to stalk people – following them or circling to approach from ahead. Bears will defend their territory – especially if it is a food source. Finally, females (known as sows) are very aggressive in attacking real or perceived threats to their cubs.

These news articles represent only a few of the many recent black bear attacks, but they will give you a pretty good representation of what these animals can do.

Bear Mauls and Kills Infant in New York State
Associated Press
August 19, 2002

A bear killed an infant Monday afternoon as it tried to drag the girl into the woods, officials said. The baby, Ester Schwimmer of Brooklyn, was snatched out of her stroller by the bear at the bungalow colony, police said. Fallsburg is about 70 miles northwest of New York City.

Isaac Abraham, a community leader from Williamsburg in Brooklyn, said witnesses told him the 5-month-old girl was pronounced dead at a nearby hospital upon arrival.

The baby was in a stroller in front of the porch with members of her family, said Mike Fraser, a state Department of Environmental Conservation spokesman. The bear grabbed the stroller and the child, Fraser said. The child was knocked out of the stroller and the bear tried to drag her into the woods, Fraser said.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks01.shtml)

Bear Kills 93 Year-Old New Mexico Woman
By Joe Garner
Scripps Howard News Service
August 21, 2001

The 100-pound elderly woman didn't have a chance against a 275-pound bear in the kitchen of her home, wildlife officials point to bears desperate for food as the continuing cause of people-bear incidents

A 93-year-old New Mexico woman was mauled to death by a black bear that broke into her home over the weekend, stunned wildlife officials have confirmed. Adelia Maestas Trujillo of Cleveland, in north-central New Mexico, was killed "by multiple bite injuries," said Scott Wilson, associate director of the Office of Medical Investigator.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks02.shtml)

Fatal Bear Attack Shows Need for Vigilance
April 17, 2003
Ontario Forestry Safe Workplace Association (OFSWA)

A fatal encounter between a forestry worker and a black bear in northern Quebec this past spring underlines in the worst possible way the need for workers to be aware of the risk of bear encounters and of how to deal with such encounters.

The incident occurred on April 17, near Waswanipi, a village 154 kilometers west of Chibougamau. A logging foreman with Norbord Industries in Senneterre, QC had gone out alone to survey cut sites for the coming summer. Investigators concluded from tracks in the snow and other evidence that while the foreman was surveying a site, the bear left its den and walked parallel to him for about 50 meters. The bear then moved ahead of him, eventually confronted him and charged. Judging from the pattern of tracks, the worker turned and ran from the bear for about 15 meters before he was struck down and mauled. It’s believed that death was instantaneous. The bear then dragged the worker into its den. …Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks03.shtml)

Bear Attack Leaves Two Campers Injured
- Episode a First at National Park Since Early 1970s
By Tillie Fong
Rocky Mountain News July 15, 2003

ROCKY MOUNTAIN NATIONAL PARK - Two men were mauled by a black bear while they were camping near Fern Lake, and one said Monday "it was extreme pain and a whole lot of blood," yet he vowed not to be deterred from future outings.

"I just woke up, and it was a blur in my head, then the blood was going everywhere," said Boulder resident Patrick Finan, 22, of the attack early Sunday. "The bear was standing outside my tent, staring in."…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks04.shtml)

Camper Attacked by Bear
By Matthew Baker
The Salt Lake Tribune July 10, 2003

A black bear attacked a sleeping camper on the Green River early Monday morning, leaving him with bites and puncture wounds on the back of his neck and a laceration across the side of his head.

Nick Greeve, 18, was camping with 14 students and five instructors from the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) at Fret Falls in Desolation Canyon when the bear attacked. Five of the students were sleeping in a circle with their feet in the middle of the circle when the bear grabbed Greeve by the head and neck and tried to pull him from his sleeping bag. …Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks05.shtml)

Black Bear Attacks Hiker
By Kevin O'Donnell
Environmental News
Script September 10, 2000

This past May, a hiker in the Great Smoky Mountains National park -- along Little river trail, near Elkmont campground -- was apparently attacked and killed by a 111-pound female black bear and her 40 pound yearling.

The tragic incident was widely reported in the news media, along with the disturbing detail that the bears had, indeed, eaten parts of the hiker's body.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks06.shtml)

Camper Leaps off Cliff to Escape Bear Attack
By Bruce Hickey
The Toronto Star
June 29, 2002

A Toronto woman slipped free from a black bear’s grasp, ran for her life and made good her escape by leaping off a rock into a lake at Algonquin Park.

"I just kept running to the edge of a cliff and jumped into the water," 25-year-old Sylvie Haert, a High Park area resident, said yesterday. "The bear followed me on to the cliff. I swam just a little further away and saw the bear looking at me."…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks07.shtml)

Bear Attacks, Bites Two Hunters; State to Track, Destroy Animal
By Gary Gerhardt, News Staff Writer
Rocky Mountain News
September 14, 2000

A large black bear bit two Missouri archers Wednesday while the men hunted on the eastern slope of Grand Mesa, the state Division of Wildlife reported. "We aren't releasing their names yet, but believe they went to a hospital in Glenwood Springs, where they should be treated and released," wildlife division spokesman Todd Malmsbury said.

He said the pair, a father, 46, and his son 25, were hunting with a third man from Arkansas. "The bear came out of the bushes and attacked the younger man, biting him…"…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks08.shtml)

Manitoulin Senior Fends Off Bear Attack
By Margo Little
The Sudbury Star
September 26, 2003
Posted by Ontario Federation of Anglers & Hunters:

A marauding black bear met its match Wednesday night during an encounter with a Manitoulin grandmother who was ready for a fight. The animal was driven off an Ice Lake farm by the protective pet owner wielding a garden hoe. The incident happened just after 10 p.m., said Const. Al Boyd, Little Current OPP community services officer.

Margaret Montgomery, 81, the owner of a farm on Highway 540 near Gore Bay, had released her dog for a run just before bedtime. The dog surprised a bear eating apples from a nearby tree. The bear chased the dog back into the garage, where Montgomery was waiting. She attempted to protect her pet by holding on to the bear and punching it.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks09.shtml)

"It had to count" - Bowhunter Saves Son

Nolan Koller had one opportunity to take down the charging black bear that had just mauled his son, Jason — and he pulled it off

By Lynn Burkhead, Associate Editor
ESPNOutdoors.com
September 29, 2002

POCATELLO, Idaho — Many bowhunters know what it's like to be at full draw, aiming at a big-game animal with butterflies dancing in their stomachs. That's called buck fever. But few, if any archers have ever faced the intense pressure Nolan Koller did recently when he made a life-or-death shot with his bow and arrow.

Early on Saturday, Sept. 28, Koller shot and killed a charging black bear sow that had just mauled his 29-year-old son Jason. The sudden attack happened as the Soda Springs, Idaho, pair bowhunted for elk in southeastern Idaho's Caribou National Forest, located not far from the Wyoming border and the Teton Mountains.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks10.shtml)

Black Bear Kills Teen Near Yellowknife
CBC News
June 3, 2001

YELLOWKNIFE - A weekend camping trip in the Northwest Territories turned to tragedy Saturday when an 18-year-old man was mauled to death by a black bear.

Kyle Harry of Yellowknife was camping with a 14-year-old female friend about 25 kilometers east of the city when the bear approached them, the RCMP said. The bear caught Harry and mauled him to death.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks11.shtml)

Man Injured in Black Bear Attack

Wildlife Worker was Studying Woodcocks near Milaca
By Kavita Kumar
Minneapolis Star Tribune
September 16, 2002

Miles Becker was tracking woodcocks he and colleagues had tagged when a black bear attacked him Sunday in a central Minnesota wildlife management area.

Becker, 24, was listed in fair condition Sunday night at St. Cloud Hospital after surgery. He suffered broken facial bones, puncture wounds to his head and left leg, and a broken fibula.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks12.shtml)

Predatory Black Bear Attack
By Jim Lockwood
Newark Star Ledger
August 12, 2003

She was a 5-foot-3, 105-pound hiker, out for a Sunday walk. He was a 400-pound hulking young bruin officials described as "predatory," looking for a meal. She said he came up behind her on a trail in Wawayanda State Park in Sussex County, chased her down and tackled her. She said she did the only thing she could. She threw a hard elbow at his snout, and caught him flush, stunning the bear and giving her time to escape.

"This bear was in predatory mode," said Jack Kaskey, a state Department of Environmental Protection spokesman. "This was classic predatory behavior. The bear was out to eat her. She had to fight for her life." …Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks13.shtml)

Canadian Biathlete Killed in Apparent Bear Attack
WebPosted July 4, 2000

CBC SPORTS ONLINE - A national biathlon team member died while training Sunday, apparently the victim of a bear attack. Canadian biathlete Mary-Beth Miller is dead after an apparent black bear attack while training near Val Cartier. Members of the team identified the athlete as 24-year-old Mary-Beth Miller of Yellowknife, N.W.T.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks14.shtml)

Bear Swats Sparta Toddler
By Rob Jennings
Daily Record
May 21, 2003

SPARTA - A black bear swatted a 2-year-old boy outside his family’s home Tuesday afternoon, police said...The 150-pound, 4-year-old female bruin was shot and killed by police shortly afterward.

The bear batted at the boy with the pad of her paw, and not the claws, state Division of Environmental Protection spokesman Jack Kaskey said. Tregidgo’s mother, Amy, watched in horror from inside her Deer Field Road house as the bear approached her young son on the porch steps. She raced outside, picked up her wounded son and called 911.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks15.shtml)

Bear Mauls W. Milford Man
By Rob Jennings
Daily Record
May 24, 2003

A West Milford man was mauled by a 150-pound female bear in his backyard Friday as he attempted to rescue the family dog, in one of the most harrowing encounters yet between a person and bear in New Jersey. Rob Skrypek, 35, of 21 Alvin Road, bled profusely after suffering "significant puncture wounds" in the hand, shoulder and head during the 2 p.m. attack, state Department of Environmental Commissioner Bradley Campbell said.

He was unarmed as he confronted the bear, which scaled a 4-foot-high cyclone fence, apparently attracted by garbage on the property. The bruin’s yearling cub was also in the yard, but did not attack Skrypek or his dog, Campbell said. Skrypek was taken to Morristown Memorial Hospital, where he was listed in good condition Friday evening. His dog was clinging to life, Campbell said.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks16.shtml)

Woman Fends Off Bear Attack in Her Own Garage
By Clint Austin
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Knight Ridder Newspapers
September 24, 2003

DULUTH, Minn. -- Kim Heil-Smith walked into her garage outside Grand Marais, Minn., one night last week expecting to pull something out of her car. Instead, she ended up wrestling a large black bear.

Heil-Smith, who was talking on a cordless phone at the time, opened the door from her home’s entryway into the attached garage about 9:30 p.m. and found herself face-to-face with a sow and her cub.

"I opened the door and she was right there, between the car and the side of the house. She didn't have anywhere to go, so she came at me," said Heil-Smith, who lives on Devil Track Lake Road north of town. "I tried to shut the door on her, but she was too strong. She wrapped her arms around me and I fell back."

The big bear bit her head, shoulder and both thighs. …Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks17.shtml)

Bear Invades Home - Ordeal for Terrified Mom & Her 2 Children
Vernon (New Jersey) Web News
June 12, 2003

Yesterday morning a black bear bashed through the screen door of a Highland Lakes residence and feasted in the kitchen while a mother and her two children, ages 2 and 7, barricaded themselves in a bedroom.

Lisa Spirko and her children finally got out the bedroom window to safety when police and a biologist from Fish & Wildlife , responding to the frantic call made at 8:30 a.m., arrived at the home on Agawa Road.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks18.shtml)

Bear Attack First In California Since 2001

August 18, 2003 (Associated Press) — A bear was killed after it knocked down a hiker in the Angeles National Forest, marking the first such attack in California since 2001, Department of Fish and Game officials said Monday.

The black bear was killed July 31 at Little Jimmy Campground, where the attack occurred several weeks earlier, department spokeswoman Lorna Bernard said. In the July 3 attack, the bear knocked down an unidentified male hiker at the campground,…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks19.shtml)

Update on Black Bear Attack in Two Medicine Valley…Park Officials to Destroy Bear
June 28, 2000

WEST GLACIER, MONT -- Glacier National Park rangers continue to search for the black bear that attacked and injured a hiker in the Two Medicine Valley on Monday, June 26, 2000. Because of the bear's aggressive behavior towards humans, it will be destroyed when located, in accordance with the guidelines of the park's Bear Management Plan.

Jason Sansom, 24, of Malstrom Air Force Base in Great Falls, Montana suffered puncture wounds to both arms after an unprovoked attack by a brown-colored black bear on the south shore trail of Two Medicine Lake on Monday afternoon. Sansom and his wife had been on a day hike when the incident occurred. His wife was not injured.…Read Full Article (http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks20.shtml)
http://www.maineguides.org/referendum/bear_attacks.shtml

Now I know bears are smart, but I'll bet they have no idea if they are on the AT or not, and probably don't know that they are only allowed to attack in other wildlife areas......

JLB has managed to mentally disturb every liberal on the website. Although I strongly disagree with his carrying a gun on ANY part of the A.T. I also recognize gun hating liberals starting trouble when I see it. It usually starts with the liberal loud mouth name calling and then flows into claims of "ignore the radical republican"...and finally claims that the republican/conservative started the whole thing. Go back to this threads very first post to find the beginning. Is that beyond a liberals comprehension ?

Personally I'd report a gun carrying hiker to the first law officer I could get a hold of if the hiker had a "I'm CARRYING A GUN/ BIG MAN ATTITUDE", but to look as stupid as some do on this site over the fact that JLB said he will carry a gun is ignorant.

I will be legal where I carry, and nobody will ever know that I do. :)

Mountain Dew
05-28-2004, 01:58
JLB...I noticed that none of those posts about bear attacks were A.T. related. Just a curious observation. I'm very glad to see that you won't be carrying ilegally. I wonder how many of the people bashing you for carrying a gun carry pot on the trail ? JLB, look into bear mace if you must carry something on the parts of the A.T. where guns are ilegal. In Penn. etc. I walked behind Floating Widget so that the rattle snakes/ copper heads didn't get me. That short caveman looking hiker friend of mine saved me three times. Don't think for a second that I wouldn't have thrown a SOBO or a "weekender" out of the shelter in front of me in case a bear wanted ol Mountain Dew. No shame here ! Hell, even Baltimore Jack would have been thrown out front to "take one for the team" if the need came about. :clap

attroll
05-28-2004, 02:06
Enough is enough. I have let this go on long enough. I hoped it would peter out. But it looks like JLB and everyone else wants to keep feeding the fire. When you don't want to here from a user anymore then stop feeding them. We learned that with one previous member if any of you recall. Lets us use this site for the reason it was created. I don't want to hear anything more about JLB and JLB stop running you mouth and getting people going. Lets talk hiking. This site was not created for politics and guns it was to discuss hiking and getting information about the Appalachian Trail. If you want to talk politics or guns please take it to another site. There are plenty of sites out there created for this.

Anymore post of this nature will be deleted from the site.

JLB, I am not singeling you out here. I am sorry if it looks that way. Everyone is just feeding off each other. Someone has to stop this nonsences. I am sorry if I am spoiling anyones fun.