PDA

View Full Version : miracles happen

undergroundnathan
03-22-2009, 17:46
I bought my train ticket for harpersferry,first week in june.It looks like I can come in june after all.Im going to hike four six to eight weeks,going north. Im on social security disbility,Im going to keep my rent payed while Im gone.At first I saw afording the trip would be a real hardship.But a goverment orgaination payed part of my rent,My food stamps went up by a hundred dollars.My church bought me a pair of boots and rain gear.It looks like Ill be able to make the trip. Thank you for reading this . sincerly UNDERGROUND.

mindi
03-22-2009, 17:49
Is this a joke?:eek:

Chomp09
03-22-2009, 17:52
Nope, no joke... I've had the opportunity to share a shelter with Nathan... noooo joke.

Nathan, glad to see you're spending my hard earned money wisely...

4eyedbuzzard
03-22-2009, 17:55
Good for you. I hope your disability and your reliance on government subsidies don't interfere with your hiking.

George
03-22-2009, 18:18
nice ride on amtrak I've gone chicago to Harpers ferry but I hiked S have a great time

warraghiyagey
03-22-2009, 18:24
Hmmm. . . wondering what type of disability allows one to hike for weeks at a time while not being able to access gainful employment.
Regardless of that dude, enjoy the trail.:)

Feral Bill
03-22-2009, 18:41
I believe the disability is from the neck up, and, based on past posts, perfectly legitimate.

vonfrick
03-22-2009, 18:50
good for you. i'm planning on using my AIG bonus check!!!

saimyoji
03-22-2009, 19:01
i'm never paying taxes again.

Lone Wolf
03-22-2009, 19:12
is it just me or do the majority of WB posters are filled with hatred and meaness lately. i've met nathan. he does not deserve the **** you ******** are givin' him.

SteveJ
03-22-2009, 19:16
I haven't met Nathan, but have read his posts in the past....some need to think before typing....
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=271839#post271839

peanuts
03-22-2009, 19:17
is it just me or do the majority of WB posters are filled with hatred and meaness lately. i've met nathan. he does not deserve the **** you ******** are givin' him.

you tell em lone wolf!!!

Highpointbound
03-22-2009, 19:23
Sorry..but are u KIDDING me? When someone posts on here about getting FOOD STAMPS and disability this and that, and yet is taking a train ride to go HIKING...guess what?

They are bound to get a bit of hackling. These are some of the WORSE times to be hearing about some dude on disability getting more of my money so he can go hiking.

Yeah, he's gonna get some grief for that. If he doesn't like it, then he shouldn't post all that on a public board. He should have just posted that he is going hiking, and left all the other disability and food stamps crap out of it.

If he he feels he can post whatever he wants, then he should man the heck up and take whatever gets said about it. I dont care how SWELL of a guy he may be.

SGT Rock
03-22-2009, 19:23
Some of them need to go here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48177

BitBucket
03-22-2009, 19:27
Lone Wolf....I think you are right...

Nathan

is there anything you specifically need for your hike? If there is and I happen to have it laying around, I'll send it to you. Post here or send me a private message.

Hope you are able to enjoy your hike.

Chomp09
03-22-2009, 19:30
Just because someone is a "nice" individual doesn't mean we should have to finance his vacation. If it does, I'd like to vote for myself for 'most congenial' and will be happy to forward a list of wants for my next trip! :D

SGT Rock
03-22-2009, 19:32
Looks like your tax money is going to finance him whether he hikes or not. So just wish another hiker good luck. At least maybe the trail will help him instead of sitting around in some town somewhere.

Highpointbound
03-22-2009, 19:34
And sorry..but there ARE people who work and have to pay for their meds and survive. And lots of employers give good health benefits. Instead of HIKING..how about using that time to get some skills that will allow you to get a job that will offer you those good health benefits??

Please...I have some insight into his world. I've had to deal and work around people who work with these people. Not all people with his condition sit around and do nothing. They take their meds and manage to live their lives. And WORK.

ed bell
03-22-2009, 19:34
Funny that the most critical posts are coming from folks who have zero knowledge of Nathan's situation. Also rather sad.

saimyoji
03-22-2009, 19:42
Looks like your tax money is going to finance him whether he hikes or not. So just wish another hiker good luck. At least maybe the trail will help him instead of sitting around in some town somewhere.

i don't begrudge nathan for takin' what's offered him. i've been in hard times and needed help myself. my feelings on the new fed. budget came through there. no more politics from me. :o

Blissful
03-22-2009, 19:45
I can see the quandary. Many of us worked for years and years saving money to be able to do the trail (and also suffered physical problems as well). It's tough when someone can go by help of the govt esp when we are in such debt right now in our nation - it's a tough pill to take at this time. I think having the church and other private citizens helping out is the way to go when in need, but esp. if it helps get the person back on their feet so they can help themselves - which should be the ultimate goal.
I do wish Nathan well and hope when he comes back he will be able to find a good job that works with his disability and new meaning in his life.

MintakaCat
03-22-2009, 20:21
Nathan

is there anything you specifically need for your hike? If there is and I happen to have it laying around, I'll send it to you. Post here or send me a private message.

Hope you are able to enjoy your hike.

I agree with BitBucket, I would be more than happy to help you in reaching your goal. If you need some equipment let me know too.

Feral Bill
03-22-2009, 20:24

Its definitely not just you.:mad:

mudcap
03-22-2009, 20:24

I agree LW,bunch of negative crap on here lately. Not much positive at all. Foks are mad at the world!:mad: Taking it out on a person that just wants to happen on the trail.

kolokolo
03-22-2009, 20:34
Good luck Nathan! I hope you enjoy your hike.

mudcap
03-22-2009, 20:35
Sad ... I like all this Crap about how you folks think you are financing him. You have NO idea what you are talking about. Just a bunch of haters that are jealous when someone gains a little in life.

I think it is his honesty that is killing you folks. Secretly you are just jealous that you do not have the balls to say you have asked/received help in the past/future.

Nathan ,do not let this crap bring you down. Some folks just hate everything in life.

MJN
03-22-2009, 20:54
Sorry..but are u KIDDING me? When someone posts on here about getting FOOD STAMPS and disability this and that, and yet is taking a train ride to go HIKING...guess what?

They are bound to get a bit of hackling. These are some of the WORSE times to be hearing about some dude on disability getting more of my money so he can go hiking.

Yeah, he's gonna get some grief for that. If he doesn't like it, then he shouldn't post all that on a public board. He should have just posted that he is going hiking, and left all the other disability and food stamps crap out of it.

If he he feels he can post whatever he wants, then he should man the heck up and take whatever gets said about it. I dont care how SWELL of a guy he may be.

Theres much worse things you pay for with your money.

MJN
03-22-2009, 20:55
and good luck Nathan!

Many Walks
03-22-2009, 21:26
A lot of mixed feelings here. We could go toe to toe about all the nonsense in government these days and who's really responsible, but WB should be about hiking. Some of us can get to the trail much easier than others who have to overcome great difficulties to get there. The bottom line should be for the WB community to support the true hiking enthusiast no matter how they get to the trail. Wish you the best Nathan. If you're in need of specific gear PM me and we'll see if we might have it for you. Enjoy your hike!

mudcap
03-22-2009, 21:36
A lot of mixed feelings here. We could go toe to toe about all the nonsense in government these days and who's really responsible, but WB should be about hiking. Some of us can get to the trail much easier than others who have to overcome great difficulties to get there. The bottom line should be for the WB community to support the true hiking enthusiast no matter how they get to the trail. Wish you the best Nathan. If you're in need of specific gear PM me and we'll see if we might have it for you. Enjoy your hike!
You Nailed it ! Bravo!
Same here...if you need something PM me. I don't have much,but what I have I am willing to share.
Have a great hike.

aaronthebugbuffet
03-22-2009, 21:40
I bought my train ticket for harpersferry,first week in june.It looks like I can come in june after all.Im going to hike four six to eight weeks,going north. Im on social security disbility,Im going to keep my rent payed while Im gone.At first I saw afording the trip would be a real hardship.But a goverment orgaination payed part of my rent,My food stamps went up by a hundred dollars.My church bought me a pair of boots and rain gear.It looks like Ill be able to make the trip. Thank you for reading this . sincerly UNDERGROUND.

Have fun!

STEVEM
03-22-2009, 22:16

Nicely said LW. It's real easy to read what Nathan has said in the past. Maybe some of you should consider deleting your posts.

superman
03-22-2009, 22:32

Have a great hike. Post again after your hike and let us know how it worked out for you.:)

beakerman
03-22-2009, 22:37
seriously: good luck on the hike...I can't say I'm happy for your situation, you probably would have been better off to keep that to yourself, but if you can swing it go for it.

I would love to join you but I've got bills to pay so I just don't have the time.

but seriously i wish you all the luck in the world.

Summit
03-23-2009, 07:13

If he he feels he can post whatever he wants, then he should man the heck up and take whatever gets said about it. I dont care how SWELL of a guy he may be.Maybe it's you who should 'take a hike!' Find out the history about the person before you totally embarrass yourself, as you have here.

Agree with you LW!

Nathan, I hope and pray everything works out and that you have a great hike! God bless!

ASUGrad
03-24-2009, 10:22
Where's my Stimulation Check?!!!! The President promised me some Stimulization. I'm almost out of Financables Assets.

Anyone want to buy a 10 man backpacking tent?

saimyoji
03-24-2009, 10:26
Where's my Stimulation Check?!!!! The President promised me some Stimulization. I'm almost out of Financables Assets.

Anyone want to buy a 10 man backpacking tent?

check out homer on the sword thread for some stimulation.

TOW
03-24-2009, 10:51
Guess what, you would get taxed whether there was any such thing called food stamps or disability or not. And once the government gets a hold of it it is no longer your money and you have no say about how they spend it.

Crap you spend your money at the grocery store, or hiking stores. Does that give you a right to tell those who benefit from what you spent there what they can or cannot do with it.

Same difference.

Slimer
03-24-2009, 11:10
I've seen several mention that Nathan has a situation.
So, what's his situation?

Six-Six
03-24-2009, 11:29
Good luck and have a great hike, Nathan. It's supposed to be tough. Enjoy it because it is tough. Don't let anything or anyone get you down or block your path.
My younger brother is disabled from a work accident. No workers comp - his cowboy job was exempt from claim. He survives on fed support and family. I wish he were able to hike the trail. I am sure he would love it.

partinj
03-24-2009, 11:39
Some persons are just*ss hole not all disbility will stop you from hiking
or geting around just like some other post say. You should ask what type of disbility he has before saying anything.
:mad:

ed bell
03-24-2009, 12:17
I've seen several mention that Nathan has a situation.
So, what's his situation?I'd suggest that unless Nathan wants to talk about it, it would be best to stick to encouragement. My .02.

Slimer
03-24-2009, 12:28
I already went to a previous thread and learned about the situation. I hope he spends my money wisely.
Thanks for the reply.

cowboy nichols
03-24-2009, 12:31
Good Luck Nathan , have a great hike . Luckily the hikers you meet are a lot nicer than some of the posters here.

Jayboflavin04
03-24-2009, 12:41
At least he isnt one of the worthless people who are able to work and choose not to. Also at least he doesnt sit around an feel sorry for himself!
He tries to better himself through getting outdoors and hiking. I think that may be the best medicine for him. Hike on brother man.

sbennett
03-24-2009, 12:56
I met a guy named Underground in March of 2006 on the AT in North Carolina. Is this the same guy? If so, I hiked with him down into the NOC and bought him lunch when we got there. I thought that he was a really nice guy.

Lone Wolf
03-24-2009, 13:02
At least he isnt one of the worthless people who are able to work and choose not to. Also at least he doesnt sit around an feel sorry for himself!
He tries to better himself through getting outdoors and hiking. I think that may be the best medicine for him. Hike on brother man.

damascus is full of these sorry types. always tryin' to get on disability

sbennett
03-24-2009, 13:05
Ok, so I poked around on the site and found a link to a video interview with Nathan. He is the same Underground I met in 2006!

Nathan, good luck on your hike!

To the people that have never met him: shut up, you don't know what you're talking about.

darkage
03-24-2009, 13:08
Who cares, that money is gonna be spent on the trail ... from a to z just like you or i .... its going back into the services we all use along the trail ... So YOUR money as you wanna say is going into something you enjoy and wanna see flourish ... So quit your crying like a bunch of babies cause one person has a disability and using goverment money to live .... Yeah i'm not happy about it but your proving yourself to be more pathetic of a human by publicly acting with less IQ than my 18 month old ...

HYOH regardless of how you got there, where you came from and where it is your going.

Summit
03-24-2009, 15:12
Here is a posted link by 'mogli' from an earlier WB thread, giving much detail about Nathan:

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/063610.html

Click on the interview video link at the end of this article to meet Nathan. Hike on Nathan . . . more power to you, man! :)

MintakaCat
03-24-2009, 15:33
It’s amazing to see that video. Nathan says that in the real world he’s a nobody, but on the Appalachian Trail he’s a somebody.

If people can’t see his struggle for acceptance in that video, then there nothing further that can be said.

Pokey2006
03-24-2009, 16:08
That's a great link, thanks. I've often wondered who this Nathan dude was...

Hey, with schizophrenia, sure, he could work, but it would likely be a "token" job, paying minimum wage. He would still need government assistance to pay for rent, medication, medical care, etc. Why not go hiking instead of flipping burgers?

Not to get too political, but I have absolutely zero problems with our government assisting those with disabilities, even in troubled economic times. We are only as strong as our weakest members, so it's incumbent upon us to make our weakest members as strong as we can.

TOW
03-24-2009, 17:28
Here is a posted link by 'mogli' from an earlier WB thread, giving much detail about Nathan:

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/063610.html

Click on the interview video link at the end of this article to meet Nathan. Hike on Nathan . . . more power to you, man! :)
Man, that brought me to tears. What Underground said was so awesome and so true. He hit the nail on te head with me, that's why I love this trail and that is why I live here in Damascus right on the trail. It was the trail and hiking on it that brought me to the realization that there is a God and the many folk I met out there were His messengers.

I'll never forget the very first two weeks I was out there and all the people I met. I thought I was just going on a hike and get away from the law for a couple of weeks, instead I spent three years out there and I became somebody.

That is why I live where I live and do what I do. Lone Wolf is Lone Wolf, Baltimore Jack is Baltimore Jack, Ronnie Haven, CamoJack, Attroll, Sgt Rock along with the rest of you are somebidy here. You are just not another name.

If I hear another bad thing about Underground from any of you here I am going to PM you personally and tell you what I think.

budforester
03-24-2009, 17:52
Thanks Underground

I followed the link to your interview, and was glad to get your insights on the people and the hiker- culture found on the AT.

Slimer
03-24-2009, 17:55
TOW,
I've scanned through this thread, and I fail to see anything "bad" written about Nathan. I see plenty of opinions from both sides....but not anything bad.
However, if you feel you need to start firing off PM's.......well go ahead.

johnnybgood
03-24-2009, 18:28
It has been said that the only real disability in life is walking through this world with a closed mind.
I too am sometimes ready to judge someone before getting more information and thats precisely why I have waited until now to articulate my thoughts about Nathan .
I was reading his initial thread literally moments after he posted and began my own query of how someone could be physically able to hike the trail but unable to work , etc.
Then before posting something on an assumption and out of my own frustation for not being on the trail myself I decided to Look for answers to my questions.
Answers to those questions were soon found on Nathans YouTube profile concerning his issues and struggles with acceptance.

The moral to this story is not to be to quick to judge others before gathering all available information to better make a comment which might be hurtful and make yourself look insenitive at the same time.

Hope we all can support Nathan not only while he's hiking but also when he comes back from the trail.
If I can be of any help to you Nathan just send a PM , Okay ?

Rentman
03-24-2009, 19:46
I grew up with a good friend that had Special Needs. He taught me more about how to live life to it's fullest and how not to judge people than I could have learned on my own..................he brought joy to everyone he met.
I see my late friend in Nathan.................Hike on Nathan...............:banana

Hooch
03-24-2009, 20:19
Nathan, hike on and enjoy. As the father of a child with special needs (mild-moderately autistic), one thing that I've learned from him arelearning to see the true simple joys in life to which we are all entitled. So don't sweat what the naysayers have to say or the snide remarks of a few. Get out there, hike your own hike and have a blast! I hope you'll post a trip report here for us to enjoy with lots of pics. Enjoy!

LBJ
03-24-2009, 20:28
I'm on highpoint's side!

BitBucket
03-24-2009, 20:37
I'm going to send Nathan a pack cover and a sleeping pad. He also needs a cooking pot. Anyone out there got an extra that they want to get rid of and help a fellow hiker.

No one would think twice if you met a hiker on the trail that needed something. Let's do a little pre-trail trail magic for a fellow hiker in need. Throw a few things in a box and send it to him.

I for one have had folks help me out on the trail from time to time that didn't know me from Adam's house-cat. The magic was always just there when you needed it.

Hooch
03-24-2009, 20:43
I'm going to send Nathan a pack cover and a sleeping pad. He also needs a cooking pot. Anyone out there got an extra that they want to get rid of and help a fellow hiker.

No one would think twice if you met a hiker on the trail that needed something. Let's do a little pre-trail trail magic for a fellow hiker in need. Throw a few things in a box and send it to him.

I for one have had folks help me out on the trail from time to time that didn't know me from Adam's house-cat. The magic was always just there when you needed it.PM sent on the pot.

D'Artagnan
03-25-2009, 13:08
As I came to this thread after seeing its follow-up first, I sort of knew what to expect. While I was reading it, two thoughts kept recurring to me: (1) Judge not lest ye be judged, and (2) There but for the grace of God go I.

It's not for any of us to judge Underground or anyone else for that matter. None of us know what difficulties life may have in store for us. Maybe if we took the time to look at ourselves a little bit before lashing out at someone else we'd all be just a little better off.

I say to Underground, have a great hike! If you are half the blessing to those you encounter on your hike as you have been to me today, you have found your purpose and you are definitely a Somebody -- whether on the trail or at home.

Godspeed and safe travels to you!

Powder River
03-28-2009, 20:35
I'm sure your hike is covered here somewhere: http://readthestimulus.org/hr1_final.pdf

Lugnut
03-28-2009, 21:11
I'm sure your hike is covered here somewhere: http://readthestimulus.org/hr1_final.pdf

Not really funny. Is it supposed to be? :confused:

Slimer
03-28-2009, 21:19
No, cheating the system and having working taxpayers paying for your hike isn't funny.
Just my opinion and observation. Now flame away......

warraghiyagey
03-28-2009, 21:23
No, cheating the system and having working taxpayers paying for your hike isn't funny.
Not worth it. . . I had questions until the dude's friends stepped in and gave some necessary background info. . . it made all the difference.:)

Hooch
03-28-2009, 21:24
Just my opinion and observation. Now flame away......Your opinion is obviously misinformed and ignorant. No one said anything about anyone cheating the system. So, in your view, someone on disability is just supposed to sit at home and stare at the walls or watch Jerry Springer and Maury all day long? I bet if you were on disability your stance would be much different. I say hike on, Underground.

Powder River
03-28-2009, 21:27
Not really funny. Is it supposed to be? :confused:

Well actually it follows the recipe for economic recovery. Use government money to stimulate the economy. So, no, that was a completely serious comment. But in the case that hiking is not in the stimulus bill (I have not read it, it is over 400 pages long) then it should be.

mudcap
03-28-2009, 21:46
Your opinion is obviously misinformed and ignorant. No one said anything about anyone cheating the system. So, in your view, someone on disability is just supposed to sit at home and stare at the walls or watch Jerry Springer and Maury all day long? I bet if you were on disability your stance would be much different. I say hike on, Underground.
I agree,Slimer is waaaay off on this one.

le loupe
03-28-2009, 21:46

Clearly he's not cheating the system. This is the way the system is set up.

Nevertheless, I understand the irratation to those that toil on a daily basis for a few days and a few dollars to pursue something similar.

Summit
03-29-2009, 07:23
Just my opinion and observation. Now flame away......Either you are second guessing medical professionals who have diagnosed this gentleman as unable to work, without any first hand knowledge yourself, or you agree with that part and think that if someone cannot work, then they shouldn't be allowed to do anything! In either case, your judgment is severely lacking.

The Old Fhart
03-29-2009, 07:55
I met Undergroundnathan at one of the Gatherings in Concord and talked to him for a brief minute or two. My impression was that he is a very friendly, outgoing person with a disability who has chosen not to let his disability be a handicap. He has been upfront about his hiking and financial status here and I see nothing the least bit wrong or sinister with what he has said. I'm also not surprised that some of the usual conspiracy theorists are in a tither.;)

Have a great hike Nathan.

Rockhound
03-29-2009, 13:02
Loopholes , tax dodging, milking the system etc... should be a practice reserved only for the wealthy. You know, those who can take a huge bite out of our tax dollars each year rather than those who can just take a few hundred dollars each month for legitimate reasons. I mean it's barely even enough to hike the trail. If you're gonna do it than go big I say. As for all these people living below the poverty line seeking assistance in one form or another, I say they are the ones to blame for this economic crisis were in. Let's face it if it were not for all the poor people there would not be a crisis at all. Ergo, it is all there fault.:rolleyes:

TOW
03-29-2009, 13:37
I'm sure your hike is covered here somewhere: http://readthestimulus.org/hr1_final.pdf I am sure it is and it has my full support...........

Summit
03-29-2009, 13:50
Loopholes , tax dodging, milking the system etc... should be a practice reserved only for the wealthy. You know, those who can take a huge bite out of our tax dollars each year rather than those who can just take a few hundred dollars each month for legitimate reasons. I mean it's barely even enough to hike the trail. If you're gonna do it than go big I say. As for all these people living below the poverty line seeking assistance in one form or another, I say they are the ones to blame for this economic crisis were in. Let's face it if it were not for all the poor people there would not be a crisis at all. Ergo, it is all there fault.:rolleyes:Off topic discussion that needs to be taken to the political forum . . . oh, WB doesn't have a political forum . . . then I guess it's a totally off-topic, inappropriate post! :rolleyes: In case you need a memory refresh, this topic is about Nathan Billy Banes being jazzed that he gets to do some backpacking, one thing that his disabilities still allows him to do. Seems to me one lives cheaper on the trail than at home, so that oughta squelch all this crap about abuse of disability entitlements! ;) Again I ask, does receiving disability compensation mean that person is only allowed to barely subsist and not do anything recreational? If that's how you feel, well . . . I had to backspace what I really wanted to say. :(

modiyooch
03-29-2009, 14:47
For all of those that work hard, pay taxes blah blah blah...... be sure to thank God that you have the ability.

Lugnut
03-29-2009, 18:03
Any of Nathan's critics willing to trade places with him? I doubt it! I hope he does so well they make a movie about him and he gets the royalties. :)

picklejar
03-29-2009, 21:22
Any of Nathan's critics willing to trade places with him? I doubt it! I hope he does so well they make a movie about him and he gets the royalties. :)

Pretty much says it all.