PDA

View Full Version : AT Scrapbooking

hikingfieldguide
03-23-2009, 00:09
Does anyone know where I can find Appalachian Trail scrapbooking items. I know you can find them for GSMNP. I know they have Camping and hiking embellishments. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone comes across any I would much appreciate it. If not I may just have to figure out how to make and market some. :)

Monkeyboy
03-23-2009, 08:11
I'll ask my wife and let you know. She's always scrapping our hikes.......scrapbooking them, that is....

Blissful
03-23-2009, 10:02
I just found hiking type stickers, outdoorsy scenery, etc at craft shops like Michaels. Would be nice to have more AT emblems, the whole trail on a sticker, etc.

shoe
03-23-2009, 11:46
I have not been able to find anything.
I am in the works of getting some AT related rubber stamps made that I can use in my scrapbooks.

Lilred
03-24-2009, 12:00
Does anyone know where I can find Appalachian Trail scrapbooking items. I know you can find them for GSMNP. I know they have Camping and hiking embellishments. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if anyone comes across any I would much appreciate it. If not I may just have to figure out how to make and market some. :)

Check with FishinFred. He has lots of AT related stickers. Go to member list and search for him there.

hikingfieldguide
04-03-2009, 00:25
I've been looking. I have found a lot of neat backpacking and camping pieces. A few sites have states available so maybe as I do each section (I'm going to be section hiking) I could get the state and trace or draw the AT onto it. Like I said up top, I have found GSMNP stickers and diecuts. The other day I found a patch for Delaware Water Gap. I even found an example or two of actual pages; one of which that I really liked. If anyone is interested in any of the sites I'd be happy to post them.
Please post your pages, post a reply, or even message me if anyone comes across anything!!! I appreciate the feedback. :)

hikingfieldguide
04-08-2009, 19:36
Me again if anyone reads this. I emailed the ATC store and asked them about scrapbooking supplies. I did get an email back saying it was a great idea and that she would pass it along to her superiors. She said a lot of people use their "AT Journeys" magazines.

CarolinaATMom
10-06-2012, 10:27
I found this old thread and would like to pick it back up again. Are any of you out there making Appalachian Trail Scrapbooks, AT altered art books, mini photo albums or handmade journals of your experience or the experience of a hiker you know? I started making a mini photo journal when my son Loner, left in April and have been making it the whole time he's been gone. It's now up to ten ring bound books of about six inches by 4 inches. I can pass along tips and suppliers I found but also things I made myself to make it work. I've started a blog about it and will be doing a section on each separate book, naming materials if I can remember. I used a lot form Michaels, Hobby Lobby and A.C. Moore but also found good stuff online. I'd love to learn ideas and techniques and suppliers form other folks out there who love this hobby. There's not many projects geared on You tube even for men let alone for hiking, camping and climbing in a rugged way, as opposed to a cutsy way. Here's the link to the beginning of my project.

Shoe -did you ever make some rubber stamps???

Gail

shoe
10-06-2012, 10:34
I never did get any of those stamps made. I could still have them done. Would love some ideas of what people might like to see.

bamboo bob
10-06-2012, 10:43
This may be the end of back packing as we know it. Next Up .... Hiking with the Stars!!

Northern Lights
10-06-2012, 10:58
I would love some AT related scrapbooking things.

The stamp could be an AT map maybe.

CarolinaATMom
10-06-2012, 17:25
Shoe - great to hear from you - what about one of the AT symbol and one of the hiker? I'd really love one just of a hammock because I've been able to find tent and sleeping back stickers but nothing for hammock hangers. Another really couple of ideas could be just the words "from Georgia to Maine" and "Katahdin."

judypudy
10-06-2012, 18:10
This summer I finished a 12x12 scrapbook of my 2007 section hike (Harper's Ferry to the Whites). Almost more work than the actual hiking.Trying to get the energy to start on 2009 ( not to mention 2011 and 2012).

I used my photos, trailjournals.com entries, and the maps (yes I cut up the maps - eek!). I used Google Images for some things - like I took a detour in PA to visit the Yuengling brewery so I wanted the Yuengling logo, etc. That might be a good source, say, for hammock logos or things like that. The camping stickers in Michael's are ridiculous - why do all the camping ones have cast-iron fry pans?

Also I took some things from the AT companion. If you get the on-line version of the companion, you can print out pages onto acid free scrap booking paper.

CarolinaATMom
10-07-2012, 06:46
Judypudy: Did you post photos of your scrapbook anywhere online? I'd love to see your ideas. It is a lot of work but I'm hoping it will be something to keep in my family and maybe inspire my granddaughters to hike.

CarolinaATMom
10-07-2012, 06:50
Northern Lights:

I found a lot of cool hiking, camping, climbing papers and embellishments on ScrappinStuff http://www.scrappinstuff.com/store/hiking-c-64

CarolinaATMom
10-07-2012, 06:54
I forgot to add the link to my blog where I show Loner's AT mini photo albums. The first book doesn't have a lot of techniques etc. But I watched a lot of You Tube videos for ideas as the months went on and learned some fun techniques along the way. http://blackswanscrapper.blogspot.com/

judypudy
10-07-2012, 10:17
@ATCarolinaMom - wow loved the scrapbooks! No, I haven't posted about my scrapbook anywhere. Mine is much less creative than yours but was a way to combine the journal, photos, and maps in a coherent and attractive way.
Great that your son was collecting flyers, permits, etc. Don't think I could do that or would do it in the future - the hiking and the journaling was plenty to keep track of. Doing the scrapbook did influence my subsequent hikes in that I really tried to take photos every day (can never have too many photos of white blazes) but I still am better about taking photos while hiking and sort of forget about it in camp. Wish I had more photos of stuff like shelters and springs that play such a big role in your trail life but aren't really "photo ops".
This summer I took a photo of a really bad bear hang and then of a really good one. But a bear nailed the food from the "good" hang so I had the photo from the next am. So great to have the before and after photos.

SnakeSession
06-12-2014, 10:09
Hey everyone, know this is a older thread but some may find this interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAX_d5cNyHA

This video is of a big collection my Mother made while I was on the trail and gave them to me after I returned. One for each state!

rafe
06-12-2014, 10:16
US post office used to issue postcards with AT-related stamps, at Trail Days. I believe I still have one. I could make a copy... assuming I can find it. The AT "passport" sounds right up your alley. ATC store would have lots of paraphernalia.