PDA

View Full Version : alternative dried beef

Grinder
03-23-2009, 09:40
I've done this twice and it works well so I thought I'd share:

I make a recipe called "Ropa Vieja" which means "Old Cloths" in spanish. It's a cuban recipe for pot roast slow cooked to rags. search <"Frugal Gourmet"+ "ropa Vieja"> to find it.

When done and fully shredded, it dehydrates easily. I just finished about a pint in three or four hours, on parchment paper, in the oven, on warm, door propped open a bit.

I would serve it either as burrito filling or with rice and beans. Or maybe as the meat in Rock's Shepherd's pie???

Homer&Marje
03-23-2009, 10:01
Was just going to say... that would work perfect for the Trail shepherds pie. When Great minds and food collide.

Blissful
03-23-2009, 10:09
Gotta look that one up. Good also to fortify that ramen soup. :)

sarbar
03-23-2009, 11:01
Cool! My friend Trailhead does that as well :)

Ropa Vieja

In a quart freezer bag:
1 cup instant rice
1/4 cup dried shredded beef
2 Tbspdried tomato sauce or tomato powder
2 Tbsp dried onion
1 tsp low sodium beef bouillon
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes

FBC method:
Add one cup near boiling water, stir well, seal tightly and place in a cozy for 15 minutes.

Mug method:
Add one cup boiling water to the dry ingredients. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes.

Serves 1.

~Thanks to Trailhead for the recipe.

Note: (translates to "old clothes" because the shredded beef gives the impression of tattered clothing.)

Dicentra
03-24-2009, 01:21
Cool! My friend Trailhead does that as well :)

Ropa Vieja

In a quart freezer bag:
1 cup instant rice
1/4 cup dried shredded beef
2 Tbspdried tomato sauce or tomato powder
2 Tbsp dried onion
1 tsp low sodium beef bouillon
1 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes

FBC method:
Add one cup near boiling water, stir well, seal tightly and place in a cozy for 15 minutes.

Mug method:
Add one cup boiling water to the dry ingredients. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 15 minutes.

Serves 1.

~Thanks to Trailhead for the recipe.

Note: (translates to "old clothes" because the shredded beef gives the impression of tattered clothing.)

Trailhead let me adapt her recipe. It's in my book. (very close to the above recipe, with a few adaptations.) ;)

Mud__Bone
03-25-2009, 01:02
for some reason I"m heading to the kitchen now ;)